What's new

methyl dihydrojasmonate (MDHJ)

yortbogey

To Have More ... Desire Less
Veteran
Jaz products provide a safe and eco-friendly way to grow thriftier, better-performing plants by strengthening their immune system.

As plant-strengthening products, JAZ products enhance natural stress tolerance so that plants suffer less damage and better thrive in the face of drought, extreme temperatures and other environmental stress conditions. By strengthening stress tolerance, Jaz products also encourage quality growth and blooms.

JAZ products contain a natural plant-strengthening molecule called methyl dihydrojasmonate (MDHJ). In fact, most if not all plants contain MDHJ. This molecule is related to the family of jasmonate compounds naturally found in plants and is named from the jasmine plant where jasmonates were originally identified. MDHJ is responsible for improving natural stress tolerance by strengthening the defense systems plants use to protect themselves from adverse environmental conditions.

New Biology scientists, in cooperation with university researchers, discovered that when MDHJ is applied to plants, many natural defense compounds including antioxidants, phenolics and protective proteins are produced throughout the leaves, stems and roots. These defenses increase stress tolerance resulting in reduced damage and better recovery from salt build-up, drought, temperature extremes and other environmental stresses (see overview of plant-strengthening). MDHJ is also special in that it promotes improved foliage and bloom characteristics. When plants are treated with MDHJ, blooms last longer and/or are brighter. Leaves tend to stay green and the natural yellowing (senescence) that is common to many plants is reduced.

Based on these findings, New Biology developed JAZ products to provide gardeners with easy-to-use products that provides the positive plant quality and strengthening benefits of MDHJ. JAZ products' efficacy has been confirmed in laboratory, field and typical garden settings.

looking for sum input, outcome, results, and info...

SpaceBros.

Interesting find! To be honest I'd much prefer to select for MDHJ rich plants then to apply an additive. Also I kind of like the change in color late in flowering. More importantly it's listed as not for use on food crops so unless you're growing for aesthetics only probably wise to give it a miss.

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
...JAZ products contain a natural...
Sure bout that? Cause I thought MDHJ aka Hedione is fully synthetic (developed by Firmenich as perfume ingredient) but acts as jasmonic acid analogue though with greatly reduced potency but increased stability and lower production costs.

It also remains to be pointed out that the effect it evokes is called ISR (induced systemic resistance) and mainly protects from necrotrophic pathogens. JA and salicylic acid are mutually antagonistic, the latter induces a SAR (systemic acquired resistance) response which helps against biotrophic pathogens and which is often linked to a trade-off in growth/yield. Strangely, this negative effect (especially when growing "sterile") is seemingly less often observed with JA (why, I do not know).

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
this has been mentioned/discussed before...there was also a rose spray or something ..thread was a few pages long..never got round to trying any....yeehaw

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
I tried the JAZ rose spray and the main point I don't like is that it's milky and doesn't come with a transparent label. That stuff could contain anything besides the MDHJ and as it's made for ornamentals... dunno... better mix the stuff yourself or at least only spray the fan leaves and not the flowering parts! Can't say for sure if there was something or not, it was a messed up fun run used only for seeds. Did catch aphids though...

Latest posts

Latest posts