What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mendellian Inheritance patterns in cannabis

zif

Veteran
So if I have a mom that's dominant for green but recessive for purple and a dad who is the opposite- how would that work?
Which is the dominant? I guess I'll never know less I try it.

Right. There’s also a good chance that you’d find they were different purpling genes, which is the other important possibility. Then a two-trait (dihybrid) Punnett might make the best predictions, if you can distinguish one kind of purpling from the other.

In reality, it looks like there are a whole host of genes involved in how and when plants turn purple.

seeded

This is a great thread. Exactly what us armature breeders need :biggrin:

From my limited experience it seems like the female is the dominant parent by which I mean she'll spit out flowers for weeks on end hoping for a mate. When a suitable pollen source then hits those girls and the seed make it to maturity then survival of the fittest has dictated what's most suitable for the local conditions. He'll mix things up but it becomes based on when both the girl and him were flowering to average out the timing of the expected offspring.

That said I've made quite a few hybrids in my time and it seems closer to a 75/25 relationship than it does a 50/50 split in the female favor. The male mixes things up for sure but unless specifically bred to pass along certain traits it seems like the mother is typically dominant in most respects. This is especially so in the terps department as the strongest smelling males I've had have only added to the females scent instead of overpowering it.

I can't wait to see what the rest of you guys say. I'm especially keen in regards to terp interaction :biggrin:

DemonPigeon

Veteran
This is a great thread. Exactly what us armature breeders need :biggrin:

From my limited experience it seems like the female is the dominant parent by which I mean she'll spit out flowers for weeks on end hoping for a mate. When a suitable pollen source then hits those girls and the seed make it to maturity then survival of the fittest has dictated what's most suitable for the local conditions. He'll mix things up but it becomes based on when both the girl and him were flowering to average out the timing of the expected offspring.

That said I've made quite a few hybrids in my time and it seems closer to a 75/25 relationship than it does a 50/50 split in the female favor. The male mixes things up for sure but unless specifically bred to pass along certain traits it seems like the mother is typically dominant in most respects. This is especially so in the terps department as the strongest smelling males I've had have only added to the females scent instead of overpowering it.

I can't wait to see what the rest of you guys say. I'm especially keen in regards to terp interaction :biggrin:

Love your enthusiasm but I don't think I quite understand your 75/25 comment, could you expand on that a bit?

Don't want to :deadhorse this but dominance of non-sex linked alleles is not connected to the sex of the plant they're inherited from it's down to the individual gene forms and interactions. A plants genes aren't able to prioritize parentage it's about biochemical processes.

Big Nasty

View Image

Here's a picture from a late flowering hemp plant, I have uploaded a couple more pics but struggling to insert them on my phone, have a look on my profile if you like.

Some of the late flowering plants showed purplish or red calyx tips and pistils and coloured leaves, to me I suspect the tips are the combination of genetics and cold to trigger it, I don't think it is related to the trait in which exclusively calyxes are effected but it does seem related to the lower temperature (the late plants) experienced during flowering. It's possible there's genes that effect where it is expressed e.g. chlorophyll being stripped from leaves, quantity of different pigments etc

Green is certainly more common in most cannabis but purple flowers decidedly dominant. Do you have any experience of crossing plants with purple tips/leaves with green plants? What is the expression of what I suggest we call for now the "outdoor colour" characteristic in a cross?

I'm currently growing a fem F1 from a purple mother and a green reversed "father";i'm probably harvesting it in mid October but i can't see any purple so far,the mother turned purple late in flower even if the temp. was pretty low during the cycle(16 C with lights on and 8 with lights off).third pic is the F1

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

DemonPigeon

Veteran
I'm currently growing a fem F1 from a purple mother and a green reversed "father";i'm probably harvesting it in mid October but i can't see any purple so far,the mother turned purple late in flower even if the temp. was pretty low during the cycle(16 C with lights on and 8 with lights off).third pic is the F1

View Image
View Image
View Image

View Image
View Image

For the sort of colouring that is visible in leaves I'd expect it to show up later in flower and be helped along by those lower temps, can you keep us informed on how the F1 develops?
:tiphat:

Big Nasty

For the sort of colouring that is visible in leaves I'd expect it to show up later in flower and be helped along by those lower temps, can you keep us informed on how the F1 develops?
:tiphat:
Yes DP,the F1 is growing outdoor unlike the mother but by October temps at night should be similar,i'll update here.

PDX Dopesmoker

Yes DP,the F1 is growing outdoor unlike the mother but by October temps at night should be similar,i'll update here.

Thanks, I'm also interested in the updates. That 3rd pic looks like it might be a little too early to me to determine that the plant won't produce purple flowers because most of the calyx flesh hasn't grown in yet, hopefully you get a happy surprise and end up with the purple buds it seems like you were aiming at.

Big Nasty

Thanks, I'm also interested in the updates. That 3rd pic looks like it might be a little too early to me to determine that the plant won't produce purple flowers because most of the calyx flesh hasn't grown in yet, hopefully you get a happy surprise and end up with the purple buds it seems like you were aiming at.
Hi PDX,i have used one plant to learn the colloidal silver technique.I've pollinated two plants from the same seedpack,one pheno was green and the other one was purple and now i'm growing one individual of both(i know it's not even a test but i'm just after some info,plus it's not legal in my country).The purple F1 looks like the father as far as structure,leaf size and shape and internodal distance,it has started flowering one week earlier than the other one;the green F1 is very similar to the mother:this is confusing me because is the opposite to what i was expecting.
Please,forgive my english.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
Right. There’s also a good chance that you’d find they were different purpling genes, which is the other important possibility. Then a two-trait (dihybrid) Punnett might make the best predictions, if you can distinguish one kind of purpling from the other.

In reality, it looks like there are a whole host of genes involved in how and when plants turn purple.

My purple plant came from bagseed of green buds with a little purple mixed in. It looked like the leaves were purple and not trimmed all the way off.

Popped 4 seeds, two germinated. Both showed purple buds as soon as blooming started.
The sugar leaves start out purple, but as they get bigger, they lose the purple and fade to green the farther away from bud.
In the past three years, my remaining cut is always purple, inside or outside, regardless of temp. Gonna try to keep it cooler next time, to see if it darkens (or lightens)

When it comes time for fade, I figured leaves would turn pretty colors, but they just yellow.

I want to make this cut in seed form.

This thread is a great starting point, trying to figure out how many alleles are involved

Big Nasty

Hi guys,starting from tomorrow temp.are going under 10C so maybe this plant is going to show some purple,now or never
picture.php

picture.php

Latest posts

Latest posts