What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Medical Card Dangers.

jump /injack

Veteran
http://bearingarms.com/got-a-state-...e-government-an-excuse-to-come-for-your-guns/

"Got a state medical marijuana card? You’ve just given the government an excuse to come for your guns.
Posted by Bob Owens on February 23, 2014 at 10:25 am
Isn’t it lovely when state laws and federal laws collide, and law enforcement then picks and chooses*which conflicting laws to enforce?
A Richland medical marijuana patient recently applied for a Concealed Pistol License, but was denied by police.
Medical marijuana is legal under Washington state law, but the federal government won’t make an exception for that when it comes to getting a Concealed Pistol License.
Richland police sent the medical marijuana patient a letter stating that federal law prohibits anyone who uses a controlled substance from “shipping, transporting, receiving or possessing firearms or ammunition.”
And even if marijuana is legal here, it’s still illegal at the federal level.
When anyone applies for a concealed weapons permit with Richland police, they have to follow these federal restrictions". More at the URL above, interesting take on a new law.

Another reason to get cannabis taken out of the drug category altogether. Right now cannabis is rated a category #1 drug right up there with heroin and cocaine for instance. This is a Catch 21 that no one has thought of except of course people like the former smokers such as Obama and Eric Holder. This designation isn't a law that has been passed by Congress, it was brought into being by bureaucracy and huge government meddling into everyones business.

Eighths-n-Aces

Veteran
my state has known i have a card and guns for a while now. i wondered how it was gonna work out for minute or two ....... years ago

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
Another reason to get cannabis taken out of the drug category altogether. Right now cannabis is rated a category #1 drug right up there with heroin and cocaine for instance. This is a Catch 21 that no one has thought of except of course people like the former smokers such as Obama and Eric Holder. This designation isn't a law that has been passed by Congress, it was brought into being by bureaucracy and huge government meddling into everyones business.

I think the new laws in Co. and Wash. are bullshit..
I knew all along it was just about the tax dollars and "control", or let's say "registration of the tokers"..
All I ever wanted, was for Govt. just to DELETE the stupid laws that made it illegal to begin with......and I knew THAT was never gonna happen...

m314

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Another reason to get cannabis taken out of the drug category altogether. Right now cannabis is rated a category #1 drug right up there with heroin and cocaine for instance.

The fucked up thing is that cocaine is a schedule 2 drug in the US. Methamphetamine is a schedule 2 drug, and doctors actually prescribe it. Marijuana is classified as something more dangerous than cocaine, methamphetamine, and all the strongest opiates with the exception of heroin.

I live in a semi-dangerous area. Someone tried to break into my house last year when my girlfriend at the time was home. I can't legally own a gun to protect myself because I'm growing a few plants in the back bedroom. I doubt the authors of our Constitution would have supported laws like the ones we have today.

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
prob so ....yeehaw .. its not like registered guns aint used to commit crimes....they just like you on a list....dead end following my trail...and your right no one is taking any of my stuff...I aint getting em started by having a card......

m314

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Relax. Nobody is going to take your guns. And having unregistered guns is irresponsible isn't it?

Owning a gun in the first place is illegal if you have a medical card. Deciding to grow legally under state law means that having a gun is a felony under federal law. Haven't you seen the stories about the feds busting state legal medical growers? Having guns adds years to the mandatory minimum sentence depending on the number of guns and the number of plants.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Owning a gun in the first place is illegal if you have a medical card.

The US SUPREME COURT had this to say in the case of Marbury v Madison...
Any law repugnant to the Constitution is void.

Some people don't have the ballz to stand up for their Rights so they let the State tell them what they can & cannot do.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Relax. Nobody is going to take your guns. And having unregistered guns is irresponsible isn't it?

Imo, registration is akin to licensing.

Why would anybody get a license to participate in an activity that they already have Rights to do?

Refer to the quote above...

Any man willing to give up liberty for security deserves neither.
Benjamin Franklin

In Washington State, a "medical recommendation" for the use of cannabis is only a defense in court IF it accompanies a documented and listed medical condition. It is NOT an exemption from arrest, though it is likely to serve that purpose...IF you comply (forfeit your rights) and are found in compliance. That assumes you have police contact in the first place, which is not likely if you're all grown up.

Having a recommendation here is not probable cause for a search, nor is it defense from one.

The only thing a "medical recommendation" does then, beside line the pockets of douchebag Doctors and Nurse Practitioners, is allow access to the many "medical" dispensaries in the state. It serves not as a true defense in court, because legal "justification" for "medical" use comes from proof of a listed medical condition. This means if you get "busted" with 15 plants and have a medical recommendation, you can still go to jail. You can still be charged and held for trial. Your ONLY defense in this state (WA) is proof of a listed medical condition. The judge, to be clear, couldn't possibly give less of a fuck about your "recommendation." He/She wants the medical proof - from a real Medical Doctor that you actually see for real medical stuff. THAT is your legal defense in Washington State.

So to recap, unless you want to pay ridiculous prices and become a part of a state-held registry to buy cannabis, you do not need to pay ridiculous prices and become part of a state-held registry to be granted accesss to such a "service". In other words, skip the state "medical" bullshit and source some seeds from outside the State's dispensaries. Grow them in accordance with the WA medical laws...follow plant limits, have it locked up, don't sell it, etc.

Chances are, you'll never have a police visit. Why would you? And if you do, your legal defense is every bit as strong as it would have been had you paid the ridiculous price of admission to the State's "medical" cannabis community.
Shouldn't have any trouble registering that legal firearm or obtaining a concealed handgun license either, since you will of course follow the firearm laws and not mix your Glock with your Gorilla Glue (or whatever the kids are smoking) any more than you'd mix it with Goldschlager. And your otherwise irrelevant (and federally protected) medical history can be left with your Doctor where it belongs.

Just because someone holds out a hoop, doesn't mean you have to jump through it. Look up. Look around. Think.

Last edited:

resinryder

Rubbing my glands together
Veteran

No it isn't irresponsible. I have guns that were passed on to me and that I've purchased from private parties. No law says I have to register them. In the town proper of Las Vegas there is a law that says you have to register your handguns but not long guns such as rifles and shotguns. with metro but not in the other counties. Maybe Reno or Carson City but I can't remember.
The gun control lobby wants every gun registered. What does that do? Other than tracking LEGAL citizens possession not a damn thing. The people they DON'T want to have guns will continue to buy them on the black market and do what they want to do. All it does is punishes everyday law abiding citizens and put their name on a list. Hell even stoners don't want their name on a list do they.
Dianne Feinstein said it best when she stated she wanted a registery so she could take every single gun out the hands of US citizens but she knew she wouldn't be able to get the votes to do it. So I ask, what's more dangerous? A nation who's citizens are armed or a nation where only government, leo, military, etc, is armed, with criminals continuing to own and hide a greater number weapons they would be even freer to use against an unarmed population?
If the government don't know they can't do a thing about it! I'd rather the government fear me and those like me than I had fear the government under total control.

wow most of the world has super strict gun laws if you are able to posess one at all the usa is next.go to the u.n. website and read their agenda for arms and ammo.guns will be taken from us all very soon.the usa is the last country on earth where almost anyone can own a gun .thats not gonna last.personally im punchin someone in the face if they come in my house.guns are for pussys.