What's new

MARLO's 2011 WINTER VERTICAL

CyrilSneer

The total yield was 481 grams of quality grade A bud

That is so great. This was one of my favorite vert grows. I fashioned my screens kinda/sorta like yours, I was looking for a way to keep my plants tied but I like to be able to put em on a table and work on them, tying to the ceiling was not an option. So voila, Marlo Screens. I'm just about 4 days in 12/12 with 5 LSDs and 2 White Widows surrounding a 400 pointing up and a 1000 looking down. Most were vegged to the tops of 30" screens and looks like lots of stretch left so should be 4' minimum ,, the LSDs anyway. Wish me luck.. the training and hacking has begun.

Eagerly awaiting your next move :wave:

Sneer

Marlo

Seedsweeper
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I totally understand why yas don`t wanna monocrop Bro since yield`s not your first priority.......

Maybe once yas find the proper mom`s/pheno`s that grow similarly , accept the juice you`re feeding em with no slow downs or speed ups in stretch so canopy can be easier managed without too much hackin and pruning , you`ll approach the 3-4 oz per plant yas deserve from all yer efforts.......

You read my mind DHF. :)
My DSD goes 75-ish days and has a healthy 2-2.5x's stretch. I'm pretty sure I can find a SD ibl mom with those qualities. Yield should be comparable or better than the DSD. I will pick a winner from my SFS's based on how well they fit this equation. The growth profile and finish times are similar, they yeild less but hey, it's Kush! The master plan is coming together:biggrin:

Love this setup Marlo...... Simple and affective I also liked your other verist in your sig :)

:thank you:

Your grows are sick bro, keep donig that dam do.... whatch yuh do when you do yuh dig.....

I like the line up to cant go wrong with rez gear! I think his comming out with dsd again right? or did i miss it?

I dig bro :)
Rez gear hasn't left my garden since the first time I tried em. Zeppelindood did a DSDv2 joint venture wit Rez a cpl months ago. I think he has another run planned tho

That is so great. This was one of my favorite vert grows. I fashioned my screens kinda/sorta like yours, I was looking for a way to keep my plants tied but I like to be able to put em on a table and work on them, tying to the ceiling was not an option. So voila, Marlo Screens. I'm just about 4 days in 12/12 with 5 LSDs and 2 White Widows surrounding a 400 pointing up and a 1000 looking down. Most were vegged to the tops of 30" screens and looks like lots of stretch left so should be 4' minimum ,, the LSDs anyway. Wish me luck.. the training and hacking has begun.

Thanks for watching the show bro :)
Good luck with your "Marlo Screens" haha. Should be fun with 1400w

:tiphat:

Ur Humbl Nr8tor

Veteran
Just love seeing this vscrog in action, Marlo. Seriously killed 'em this time around. I'm thinking of incorporating the v-screen into my small outdoor greenhouse grow this fall/winter/spring. Mostly sun in the afternoons, so the screen will push the stems and flowers out towards that angle. I may add supplemental light as well for a bit of boost. Keep it going...

Marlo

Seedsweeper
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sick grow mate, just scanned the last 10 pages. Very impressed to say the least!

I'm glad you like it. I think its about to get a lil better :wave:

Just love seeing this vscrog in action, Marlo. Seriously killed 'em this time around. I'm thinking of incorporating the v-screen into my small outdoor greenhouse grow this fall/winter/spring. Mostly sun in the afternoons, so the screen will push the stems and flowers out towards that angle. I may add supplemental light as well for a bit of boost. Keep it going...

Thanks UHN.
I think vscrog in a greenhouse would be interesting. I'd love to see you pull that off bro

G

guest3901

Cool idea with the angled screens..never seen that before.
May have to try that out some day...im working withe same size area..4.5x10x10...and two 600s.

Hey bro great work,enjoy the fruits of your labor.:joint:

Marlo

Seedsweeper
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ditch the screens??.......

Ditch the screens??.......

I've thought about doin this for quite some time, not sure why I never pulled the trigger on it before. I remember one of our fellow vert vets ran a tent full of Casey Jones with a similar concept. I'm not sure if this is gonna end up being more or less work, but I'm seeing some benefits from the change already. WTF am I talkin about?? OK, pics now.....

Using whats left of the original roll of fencing I bought years ago (its still not done), I ran the fencing around the perimeter of the room. It hung pretty easily using some well placed thumb tacks.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

The concept is not to grow the plants thru the screen, but instead to use the screen as anchor points for my fuzzy pipe cleaners. So simple...and they can still be removed if/when necessary.
Very easy to pull the girls back away from the bulb, and position branches anywhere i want. I think this is less constricting, and will spread the plants branches out better than the screens and prevent them from getting fat and bushy, which is harder for my 400's to penetrate.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

The back wall is covered by 2 huge Sour Bubbles. One is my lime kush tasting pheno in a 3 gal smart pot, the other is a first time run from seed in a 3 gal air pot. Longer node spacing than I'm used to from SB. Hopefully she is a winner.
The left side wall is made up of 5 SFS's from seed. 3, 3gals and 2 1.5 gals. The right side wall is made up of 6 SD IBL's from seed in 1.5 gal airpots. A 7th SD IBL lives right in front of the door, but was removed for this picture

No trimming has been done as of yet. Not much has been needed, except for my big ass SourBubbles. They all are still in the 1st week of flower...so they will get trimmed as they progress.

I'm liking this already. The screens might be history.

FireFly22

Marlo...I'm likin' it! I have been deliberating how to transition to a vert setup for a bit now. I have low head space, so hanging a bulb and hood cuts down on vertical growth. Using this method the plants can take advantage of the heigh and you more of the bulbs power. I'm working with 600's and will be trying this method next full run!
FF22

R

Rysam

Whats your secret to getting water to the back plants? I know I gotta do some Jackie Chan ninja shit to reach my back girls when the room is full.

Marlo

Seedsweeper
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Marlo...I'm likin' it! I have been deliberating how to transition to a vert setup for a bit now. I have low head space, so hanging a bulb and hood cuts down on vertical growth. Using this method the plants can take advantage of the heigh and you more of the bulbs power. I'm working with 600's and will be trying this method next full run!
FF22

Sometimes the best way is to just ditch the hood, hang that bulb bare, and rock. Each setup is different and takes a bit of dialing in. Doin it is the only way to work the kinks out. Do some reading, get a couple ideas, and jump in bro! :)

Whats your secret to getting water to the back plants? I know I gotta do some Jackie Chan ninja shit to reach my back girls when the room is full.

Haha! I know what u mean.
I water with a wand. About 3' long with a 3' hose, 3 gallons at a time. I remove the 1st 3 or 4 plants on the right side, and getting to all the plants is easy. Just enough space to work. If any of the girls need to be worked on, I just take em out. Seems like alot of work, but you know how women are. They appreciate the "quality time".

D

DHF

Excellent decision to use anchoring behind instead of in front of the bulbs , since anything between light and plant prevents canopy lumen absorption , regardless of how minimal......

Guess it`ll be easier ta trim different strains side by side for canopy management now huh ?........

As growers evolve with runs under their belt , the inevitable occurs...dialage....anything between light and plants needsta be avoided if at all possible.....

I usedta get pissed off at all the spiderwebs of string I had tied ta chickenwire on the ceilings attached to every limb on every plant I had ta keep em from snappin under their own weight......

Marlo....Respect....

Peace....DHF.....:ying:.....

MyGreenToe

I like it, but this means you won't be able to pull them bitches out for runway shots, which I will miss. Hope you get your yield up another nice percentage with the changes. The airpots are lookin great in there. I'm lovin the ones I picked up. Keep us posted how this works out.

Keep it Green
MGT

Anti

Sorcerer's Apprentice
Veteran
Damn I accidentally just negged arawn s post above me. Some one rep him and fix that for me? Thanks. sorry for off topic.

Maj.Cottonmouth

We are Farmers
Veteran
Damn I accidentally just negged arawn s post above me. Some one rep him and fix that for me? Thanks. sorry for off topic.

I have done that also, damn last post on the page :)

Hey Marlo it is looking great but I am a little confused. So you will now pull out the fans from the middle and work them inside the room? Looking forward to this new setup, I feel I need to change my room up to increase production.

If you will not be removing them you might want to get some blumats.

gardenbug

Using those pipe cleaners in a hook shape looks like they would be easy to untie if they needed moved out, although it would still be some work. I was using the green garden wire twist tie stuff but it cuts plants. I went to zipties but they are not removable really. I'm going to try some pipe cleaners.
I went from a front screen to a back screen and like it better. Keeps the plants more open and is easier to change things when they are not woven into the screen.

Marlo

Seedsweeper
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Excellent decision to use anchoring behind instead of in front of the bulbs , since anything between light and plant prevents canopy lumen absorption , regardless of how minimal......

Guess it`ll be easier ta trim different strains side by side for canopy management now huh ?........

Thats the same thing I was thinking. If I deal with only stretchy branchy pheno's, they can be spread out and anchored to the wall, like the ivy at wrigley field. I would guess there will be less trimming, more training. It might make the multi strain a bit more workable too...

I like it, but this means you won't be able to pull them bitches out for runway shots, which I will miss. Hope you get your yield up another nice percentage with the changes. The airpots are lookin great in there. I'm lovin the ones I picked up. Keep us posted how this works out.

I still plan on taking the girls out to be worked on. At least until the buds make them fall all over themselves.

Hey Marlo it is looking great but I am a little confused. So you will now pull out the fans from the middle and work them inside the room? Looking forward to this new setup, I feel I need to change my room up to increase production.

If you will not be removing them you might want to get some blumats.
They will be taken in and out as often as necessary...
I used blumats in the past, still have them.
They worked well once they were dialed in, but I prefer to hand water. With these big 3.4 gal pots, I like being able to soak the entire plant with my water wand, rather than just getting water from one point, as they did with the blumats. Plus, there is no substitute for attention for these girls. I like doing it by hand, so I can get up close and personal with them.

Last edited:

RaNgEr RiCk

Wsup CHACO

Everything has been chopped and trimmed. They've been hanging since monday. They're goin in paper bags today, and will hit the jars in a cpl days. :dance013:

Right now there are 14 Sour Diesel IBL's from seed about 30 days old in the room veg'n away. Also 4 Kush o Nesia's from Karma, my lime kush pheno of Sour Bubble, and 4 or 5 more Sour bubbles about 60 days old from seed and a OGxBS #2.

No screens this time. I'm just gonna let em loose in there and do some pheno searching, so the next time I pull out these screens, they'll be filled with only jar stuffing keeper phenos!

Just read the whole thread Marlo. Must say EXCELLENT work bro!!! I havnt been on IC for very long, but I must say this is one hell of a vert grow, and with only 2 400's! Very inspirational to say the least.

That lime Sour Bubble pheno is straight fire! Was lucky enough to sample some of PK's, and once again the Sour B has proven why it is on the top of my head stash. Lookin forward to whats to come bro, thanks for the show :thank you:

Aerohead

space gardener
Veteran
Loving the wall screens, looks like it will give you more canopy space and better yields. Hope it's not too difficult to work with when that room bushes out... I'm sure you will handle it... Nice.

Nice looking set up. has me thinking cause I'm in devolopment right now maybe some thing like this would work for me. Just wondering If the pipe cleaners in the s shape will be strong enuff once you get some of those huge ass budz I've seen from you so far. They might not be strong enuff to hold them up. Just a thought, looking sweet Marlo.