What's new

Marineman's second run - 600w revised bio buckets - Blueberry OG Kush

marinemansf

Oh and heres the remnants of another great Marine Corps birthday... Why cant everyday be Nov 10th?! I think im still hungover...

Raziel819

I'm sorry to here about the clusterfuck you're having/had, I know that you'll get it squared away and everything going forward will get you a campaign ribbon. Hell that's the reason we had all those 0dark30 in the morning training, just to work out all the kinks so that we could come home when the day was done.

Now the party, smfh, I didn't do anything as exciting as that, hell I don't even remember what I did...and its only been six days. I posted a couple more pic's at day 75 (friday) and 18 days at flower, I probably will take some more pic's tomorrow (3 wks) just to see if I can tell a difference. I also did something that I had originally said I wasn't going to do, I changed out my nukes, I was going to see if I could do what BigToke had said that he didn't do any rez changes but I did anyway, we'll see if it does any good. Oh, just thought about it I bought another Led last night, Mars II 700w, actual draw is 300w/380w, hopefully I'll get it delivered before this current grow is over. Did I say that's its a 5 watt'er I should get some really good penetration now.

They I was reading over on another site and this guy was talking about something that he called "the flowering stall", it was something that happened before the calyxes started to swell but after the hairs stopped sprouting and it lasted anywhere from a week to 2. I never observed this how about you?

Well enough for now gonna watch the rest of this game, read some more journals and I think I see the smoking lamp light on...

cravin morehead

Veteran
Hey marineman-
Good job attacking your slime. One thing I've noticed with these bio buckets, when you try to go above or speed up colonization, they bite back. With no additives, I think, the bennies would've taken control.
Thanks for the kind words bro. I really appreciate it, really. The only time someone talked so good about me, he was my lawyer representing me in court!! Hahaha! Keep up the good work. Beautiful new set up. Great build design...

Cm

marinemansf

Heeeeey! Thanks for stoppin by homie! And im happy to rep the guy that helped me a fuckton, you deserve it. Fuck, if it were not for you and toke, I wouldnt be puffin on ANY smoke right now, bet money lol.

Something I been thinking about is whether or not to add any of that tea, and I think youre right, Ill prolly hold off on that. But ill hold onto the fixings just in case that bacteria rears its head again. So far everything is looking clean as hell after being running for 3 days now. I figure the seeds wont be here till next week, so ill just give it the two weeks. The big thing ive had trouble getting over is the fact that you cant see the bennes so its hard for me to just "trust" they are around in my system. I know they are, just something I been trying to get my mind around.

One other thing, when you start seeds do you start in like rockwool in starter trays, then move them to the buckets? Or seeds in rockwool and right to the buckets before the pop? Just curious what your ritual is, because I need to get a good routine going and not sure what to do. What ppm of nutes and when?

One thing on that black lava rock, I never could track any down. I checked menards, home depot and lowes. Not even seasonal. So I may end up having to order some on the next run. I figured the lava rock is better than the hydroton i used last round, and i did notice that some of the red lava rock i got is super dark, like black. Not sure if its true black rock, but sure looks like it.

Ive heard that green light bulbs will not fuck up the light cycle if you have them in the grow room. True? Need verification/clarification.

Raz hows everything coming with your run? Im super jelly right now that youre in flower. Suuuuuper jelly! Dont judge me, im confidently hetero lol.

Oh and im gonna start posting my favorite smokin/chillin music im diggin at the time. I think some of you will like it. A lot of its gonna be rap, but its chill rap, but there wil be others too.
Todays is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOMKghcq30s

Raziel819

Everything is coming along just fine (knock on wood), I just posted some pic's of my grow at day 22 of flower its getting close to the halfway point. I am hoping to be harvesting around
the 15th of Dec. and have something to put into xmas stockings but if she's not ready then maybe for the 1st of the year. I have a new light coming in and it looks like it'll be here by Fri. then I'll start a new run of a couple of auto's, (NL Auto and a Big Bud x Power Plant Auto). Once those two are in the main cab I'll pop a couple of sativa dominant photos to take me into next fall.

marinemansf

Damn those girls are looking tasty. Had a few questions for ya. How many lights are you running? Specs on the lights? Room ambient temp with LED's? Im just stunned you can get the kind of results you are getting with just LED lighting. Because I was thinking of getting a few LED's to help supplement extra light, without having to add MH/HPS. I think I will always run at least one HPS/MH for the fact that I live far north US and need some heat as it gets cold here in the winter. Hell if i get enough I might even be able to run just LED's in the summer when its super hot out. And I think they use a hell of alot less power. Whats a good brand/price?

Also, are you running multiple tubs? Is it a pain running multiple strains at once? Just some stuff I been wondering, I like picking peoples brains for why they do what they do.

Thanks brother

Raziel819

Thanks man for the kudo's its been a real learning experience just to get to this point.

This is what I'm running right now.

I have two panels for a combined actual wattage draw of 300 w full spectrum.
1 DS100 by Advance LED, it has 50(3w) total watts 150w, actual 100w ($295)
1 96 x 3w Reflector by TopLed Lighting, total watts 288w, actual 200w ($167)
At this time the ambient temp in the cabinet varies between 72 - 77 degrees lights on, lights off temps generally less than 7 degrees lower. So far the ambient room temp has been no more than a couple of degrees higher than cabinet temps. RH in the cabinet has been ~40% - 55% during flowering. I kept it higher during veg with cups of water and wet towels.

I have a Mars II 700w coming tomorrow which I'm going to switch out the reflector.
Mars II 700w by TopLed Lighting, it has 140(5w) leds, actual draw 380w ($294)

I thought about keeping the reflector in the same cabinet with the new light but I think that it will best serve the veg cabinet instead of using the DS100. So in my veg cab it will be 200w plus 2 T5's that are mounted in the corners for side lighting (I don't remember the wattage of the T5's) but I think that, that combination will do well for veg or even for early flowering until space is made in the flowering cabinet.

After the upgrade in the flowering cabinet it will have a total of 480 actual watts lighting an area of 36" x 20", 5.1 sq feet. Right now I have 59w per square foot, after upgrade it will be 94w per square, plus the penetration of the lights should double. What I do know is that in the veg cab after the upgrade I need the T5's to generate at least 50w so that I can maintain at least a 50w per square foot light intensity for the girls.

Yes I am running multi tubs, in the veg cabinet I'm going to run 2 5gal buckets instead of the 1 20gal tote I had in there. What I found with that set up was that the roots of the girls got tangled to bad to try to separate them. And with the flowering cab there are 2 10gal totes that are connected to a single rez and chiller.

I made the mistake of running 2 different stains and types of plants this run, (auto and photo) in the same system. But I believe that I will be able to run 2 different stains as long as they are of the same type in the flowering stage. I'm going to test that theory in my next run.

Raziel819

This is my whole goal.

Develop my grow techniques to be able to get 1gpw every grow with just 2 plants. With 480w that's 17 zips dry, times 4 grows a yr thats 68 zips that would be 5+ zips per month for med's and edibles it should be enough for me and a buddy or two. I'm not trying to get rich, just trying to get off of some (if not all) the med's I'm taking from the VA and increase my quality of life in the process. If I can gross more than 1gpw dry, cool I can either help some more friends out or I can use the extra to expand into different delivery methods, ie. tinctures, salves or e-cig's.

Raz

Raziel819

Autoflowering is just plants don't need a photoperiod to flower, they just start flowering when their life period is coming to a end. You can run them from 12/12 or up to 24/0, best practices say 18/6 is best. I got some NL by vision and Auto Pounder (Big Bud x Power Plant) by auto seeds, seeds that I plan on popping as soon as my new light gets here. I'm planning on using that 200w light w/a couple of T5's and put a couple of foggers in the 5gal buckets for root development then pop them into the bio-under current bucket sys, as soon as current grow matures, with 480w of pure grow power.

:dance013:
Raz

marinemansf

Just wanted to update quick. I have had the system running for one week now and so far, everything is crystal clear! I didnt add any tea this time. I'll give it another week and the seeds should be here by the end of the week. Here's hoping we have smooth sailing the rest of the run.

marinemansf

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Seeds just showed up! I got the seeds I ordered, plus a pretty decent handful of free seeds.

Never heard of black destroyer, but it sounds dope.

My original plan was to pop 3 of the 5 og kush seeds and clone the best to go into the buckets. But by getting that feminized white widow seed, I feel like i could pop all 5 BBOG's and run the WW in the 6th bucket. Not sure which way to go on that. I knew after the last run that I definitely wanted to rerun the pure widow without any cross to it. Looks like that opportunity came sooner than anticipated. Just not sure how good of an idea it is to run two diff strains at once. What do you guys think?

Been doing alot of research into how to best start seeds for hydro. I use/ have used a 1x1 inch cube of rockwool, but I hear good and bad on this site when it comes to rw. Just not sure if there are better ways to do it. Anyway Im off to get things rolling, so excited to get shit going again, been feenin....

Raziel819

Cool those seeds look like they should be the bomb. I don't see that you would have a problem as long as they are in the same family (i.e. 2 sativas or 2 indicias) and have similar harvest times. Especially if you run your nukes low to see what each can handle and tailor your feed to the one who's the lowest. You know the play...a squad only moves as fast as their slowest man and with you being the point man you'll alert the others where the dangers are, or eliminate the threat yourself. I think you'll be fine.

Can't wait for you to get started...

Raz
Stay Frosty My Friends

marinemansf

Just wanted to put up some pics of the LED panels that I added to the setup. I figured they are just sitting around not getting any use and they add more light on their own than I thought they would in the tent. Should be good in addition to the main 600w.

Just about to soak the seeds in a paper towel over night and then Ill place them in their rockwool cubes in the morning.

Raziel819

Oh hell yeah, what's the spec's on those panels? From the looks of it you could be adding anywhere from 1 to 3 hundred extra watts to that grow room of yours... Just think about it close to 1000 total watts without the heat...

marinemansf

Good question man! I have no clue what they are even rated at. Like I said, they were some cheapies that I picked up when I first started, so they have never actually been used. I was really surprised at how much light they actually threw, and the mylar on the tent walls and reflectix on the buckets really keeps those light beams bouncing. Not sure if I should add height chains to the LED's so I can adjust them, or just let em run where they are. The main light really drowns out the LED's when its on, but im sure theyre adding something to the mix. Wonder how I could figure out what the wattage they are...

Anyway, got the seeds in their damp paper towels and in a plastic bag. Then placed them directly under the hot spot on my light and set the ballast to 25% power. Seed zone is staying right at 88 degrees. Ill check them in the morning and move them to the rockwool. I think I figured out how to use rockwool too. Im pretty sure I was saturating the cubes too much before so the roots didnt have to travel far to get water. Need to let them dry out a little more, to make the roots pop through the bottom of the cubes. Make em search for water. Feeling good about this run. Ill check in, in the morning...

PS: Found the model of LED panel I have. Super unimpressive 15w a piece. So I guess they will add more to the spectrum than pure light power. Oh well. Heres the link to the ebay page:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Indoor-225-...2689599?pt=US_Hydroponics&hash=item58a90353bf

Raziel819

Yeah those are supper unimpressive, they have to be 1w leds in there to have that low of an actual output. I see that they are only being driven at .06 of their potential. Hell mine, (mars ii 700) is not being driven that low... I have 140 5w leds that putting out 380w of power so you see no-one gets the full capacity of what they have but damn man.... .06! Lets go find the yahoo's who sold them to you and jack slap them. They don't know nuthin about led's nor do they know anything about growin .... anything.

marinemansf

Just wanted to throw up a quick picture. This is my sanctuary fellas. Got a fine rolled joint, some henesy and some buddy guy on the stereo. Just watchin the grass grow. My garden of eden...

marinemansf

YOOOOOO Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Just wanted to stop in and post a quick update. Today is day number 2 of germination, and am happy to say all 6 seeds popped and are getting just tall enough to start breaking the surface of the rockwool.

So far ive just been letting them sit about 3 inches under my light with the ballast set to 25%. Might seem a bit close but the ambient temp outside the tent is about 60f right now. Keeping the light where it is has been keep the temp right above the seeds at about 87. I put a small strip of black 3 mill plastic over the top of the cubes and covering the seed holes in the rockwool. I think this does two things, simulates a layer of soil, blocking the light out, and absorbs some of the heat, making it a little more humid in the seed holes. Ive also been running 24 hours on the lights to keep the heat the same. This time around ive just been spraying the cubes in the morning with some RO water with a few drops of GH root accelerator and a drop of 28% H2O2 in the spray bottle. (H2O2 only being used untill the seeds get transplanted into the buckets.) Been trying to keep the cubes just moist enough, not too much. Seems to work alot better than my old flood and drain type method which Im sure was over saturating the cubes. Cause super slow vertical and root growth.

I have been looking for a real small space heater, that I can put in my tent, mainly to maintain temps during the off hours. And luckily my pops had a spare, free is always good. It has a digital display so I can just set the minimum temp, and it will do the rest. Now one thing im not sure about, is whether or not to keep the heater in the tent or the space just outside the tent. I thought maybe just outside the tent where it pulls air in from a side vent in the tent. That way im not getting uneven bucket temps. Another thing I was thinking was to flip the exhaust fan to blow the heat from the light back into the tent. Put a leg of fat lady panty hoes on the intake pipe, that way im not wasting the heat. I try to use some common sense with growing and sometimes it works and sometimes it bites ya in the ass. I think ill try it for a few hours and see what the temps get to.

Been keeping an eye on the inside of the buckets and so far everything is still perfect. Thank god for the dude that turned me onto that copper sulfate vaporizer. Saved my whole system. I will be running that bad boy between every cycle from now on, just for peace of mind.

Give thanks to the weed gods!