What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Marijuana proponents light up TV with ads (Nevada Ballot)

I.M. Boggled

Certified Bloomin' Idiot
Veteran
Marijuana proponents light up TV with ads (Nevada Ballot)
Published: Las Vegas Sun
October 31, 2006

Buzz over Question 7 backed by billionaire once pinched for pot

The roots of Nevada's ballot measure to legalize marijuana stretch all the way to Cleveland and New Zealand.

Because if a now-retired auto insurance billionaire from Cleveland had not gotten busted for pot possession in New Zealand, Question 7 might never have made it to the Nov. 7 ballot.

Question 7, billed as the Regulation of Marijuana Initiative, would permit individuals 21 and older to buy and possess up to one ounce of marijuana in Nevada while allowing the state to collect taxes on its growth and retail sale.

As one of only two marijuana initiatives on statewide ballots this fall, Question 7 will put Nevada in the national spotlight, regardless of the election's outcome.
The other initiative is in Colorado, where voters are being asked to adopt statewide Denver's law legalizing up to an ounce of marijuana possession for adults in that city.

Television ads to date on Question 7 have been extensive - and entirely one-sided.

The pro-Question 7 Committee to Regulate and Control Marijuana has purchased $678,960 worth of ads on the four major Southern Nevada TV stations for the final weeks of the campaign, according to records at channels 3, 5, 8 and 13.
In contrast, the anti-marijuana coalition of law enforcement and business interests known as the Committee to Keep Nevada Respectable is not spending a penny on TV.

Despite that spending imbalance, recent political history suggests that the election is far from a sure thing for proponents.

Although Nevada is one of 12 states that has approved marijuana for medicinal purposes, voters in 2002 overwhelmingly defeated a state ballot measure that would have legalized marijuana possession for all adults.
And pro-marijuana forces failed in their bid to get another initiative on the 2004 ballot.

As in 2002, the pro-marijuana effort this year has been financed mostly by the Marijuana Policy Project in Washington, backed primarily by retired auto insurance executive Peter Lewis of Cleveland.
The group also has backed proposed marijuana legislation in several other states.

Lewis, the retired chief executive of Progressive Auto Insurance Co., one of the nation's biggest auto insurers, was a major financial backer of Americans for Medical Rights, the Santa Monica, Calif.-based group that sponsored Nevada's successful 1998 medical marijuana initiative.
His money also helped bankroll the failed 2002 ballot measure, and Lewis also has financed efforts by the American Civil Liberties Union to litigate against drug laws.

According to a Wall Street Journal story, Lewis was arrested in New Zealand in 2000 for possession of marijuana and hashish, but was released after making a donation to a local drug rehabilitation center.
He told the newspaper that he became involved in efforts to change marijuana laws because, "I have seen it for quite a while as pure patriotism to try to change a policy that is sillier than Prohibition."

Neal Levine, a Las Vegan who is managing the Question 7 campaign, argues that this year's ballot measure has a better chance of approval than the proposed constitutional amendment that failed in 2002 because it is more restrictive and more tightly written.

In addition to the 1 ounce possession limit, the measure would stiffen the criminal penalties for selling marijuana to minors, limit sales to certain types of retailers and double from 20 to 40 years the maximum prison term that a motorist could receive for causing death or substantial bodily harm while under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

"Marijuana use is already prevalent in our society," Levine said.
"If Question 7 passes, it would probably be statistically improbable that you would have a huge jump in marijuana use.
Anybody who wants to use it can already get it.
The problem is that the current laws don't work.

"What marijuana laws are doing now is funneling millions of dollars to violent criminals."

The TV ads promoting Question 7 chastise law enforcement for, from proponents' perspective, wasting police officers' time on marijuana arrests while thousands of violent crimes remain unsolved.
The ads also reiterate supporters' contention that current laws benefit violent gangs and drug criminals.

The anti-marijuana Committee to Keep Nevada Respectable, backed by groups that include Stop DUI, the Nevada Sheriffs and Chiefs Association, the Las Vegas Police Protective Association and the Las Vegas Chamber of Commerce, is relying on mailers and radio ads to get its word out, spokesman Patrick Smith said.

"It's easy to make fancy ads and paint this issue like it will be a panacea for Nevada," Smith said.

"But ... voters will see what this does to legalize street drugs, and they will vote against it.
We're never going to have a Nevada where you have a regulated pot store.
All this does is to allow drug dealers to walk around with an ounce of marijuana, and that's bad for kids."

Clark County District Attorney David Roger also opposes Question 7.

"The people of the state of Nevada are resolute in their opinion that drugs should not be legalized in our state," Roger said.

"For the most part the pro-marijuana group has been under the radar until recently but I don't think their media blitz will make a difference."

http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/stories/sun/2006/oct/31/566635989.html?ballot 7
>>>>>

The Las Vegas Sun editorial board recommends no on Question 7.

Question 7 would open the door to legalized marijuana in Nevada.
It would amend state law to allow anyone aged 21 or over to use, possess and purchase up to 1 ounce of marijuana.
Driving under its influence would remain a crime and other restrictions, including against any public use, would be imposed.
Buyers would pay sales tax and wholesalers would pay an excise tax.
The state would use about half of that revenue to fund anti-drug programs.

The out-of-state groups behind this question keep bringing it back, election after election, believing a small state like Nevada might pass it and kick-start a national movement.
We approve of the medicinal use of marijuana, but when schools, governments and parents are working hard to prevent recreational use that can lead to addiction, it would be counterproductive to approve a question like this.

resinryder

Rubbing my glands together
Veteran
I've got to say that the organizers of the marijuana question have put out some of the BEST adds I've ever seen. They have done an excellent job of making their argument for legalization. Now having said that, I don't think it will pass. We have a HUGE Mormon population here that loves to tell us what to do while indulging in the same behavior behind closed doors. And they really turn out to vote against things like this. The last poll results I saw indicate the ballot question is not going to pass. But the numbers are much higher than they were in the last election when another marijuana question was voted down. And we all know that polls are just a sampling and subject to being wrong.I hope they are wrong and that it passes if even by 1 vote. I know my wife and I voted in favor of passage. But we won't know until tomorrow night. If it passes I will be VERY suprised. Not being negative in anyway just realistic. Medical marijuana patients have been in the ads talking about how kids can get it at school and they can't find it anywhere. Plus a few others that have been very well put together. We'll see. If it doesn't pass at least it has caused more people to open their eyes to the damage the war on drugs has caused.

Maj.PotHead

End Cannibis Prohibition Now Realize Legalize !!
Mentor
Veteran
i'll be voting yes on 7 and being shot down in 02 that was because they tried to legalize 3 oz i mean that didnt have a snowball chance in hell of passn but this new aproach really dose have a chance. i know many older persons 60+ that have voted early and yes on 7, mind now these older ppl dont smoke or never have.

i mean really why not nevada was the only state in the us with legal gambling for many years, and HOOKER'S yea baby clark and i believe 1-2 other countys dont allow prostution but the rest of the state dose, controls and taxe's the loot shoot lmao.

so why not canibis

resinryder

Veteran
Regarding the older people, I seem to remember AARP doing a poll a couple of years back asking their members if they approved of medical marijuana and a very large percentage of them stated that they did.
And yeah, the last time they did go whole hog for higher limits one could have. Maybe part of the bigger picture?

This is an exciting time. I think many of us will see a day in which smoking pot will be free! A journey of 1000 miles starts with just one step, so cast your votes!

G

I am excited about the idea of a state legalizing marijuana. And I am glad to hear that were getting out there and voting.

Anti-MarijuanaDouchebags said:
LIE #3:

“Question 7 would take money away from gangs and drug dealers.”

TRUTH:

State law cannot supersede federal law and Nevada won’t be permitted to “control and regulate” marijuana sales and distribution. If Question 7 passes it will increase the profits of gangs and drug dealers because they will be the only ones selling marijuana to those who want to possess the drug.

So what do you guys think of this? Do you think that if it does pass, then it will just lead to a fight between state and federal government? Recently Californias medical marijuana was put into question and the federal gov't prevailed. So while I am excited about this vote I am also a little skeptical that it could be taken away. Hopefully, itll pass so we can find out the answers.

resinryder

Veteran
I've already heard from someone in the legal system(can't remember who it was-in the paper a couple of weeks back) that if the question passed it really didn't matter because marijuana would never be offered for sale in Nevada. Feds would be in here like shit on a DEA agent to shut them down and make arrest. Would make for some intresting court battles over states rights tho.
Keep you fingers crossed. We should know tonight.

Budless

resinryder said:
I've already heard from someone in the legal system(can't remember who it was-in the paper a couple of weeks back) that if the question passed it really didn't matter because marijuana would never be offered for sale in Nevada. Feds would be in here like shit on a DEA agent to shut them down and make arrest. Would make for some intresting court battles over states rights tho.
Keep you fingers crossed. We should know tonight.

In this day and age state's have very few rights over the federal government and their lacky agencies. Its a sad tale, but that's the web that has been woven over the last 6, almost 7, years.

resinryder

Veteran
Agreed Maj. PotHead. Anything we can get is a step forward.
Heirloom- Just saw on local. 65% against, 35% in favor of. Very small numbers repersenting those numbers tho.