What's new

MARIJUANA PETITION DRIVE FOR 2008 BALLOT IS UNDER WAY IN MICHIGAN

Devilock

MARIJUANA PETITION DRIVE FOR 2008 BALLOT IS UNDER WAY IN MICHIGAN

LANSING, Mich. -- Michigan residents could legally use marijuana on private property for recreational or medical purposes under a measure proposed for the 2008 statewide ballot.

The Board of State Canvassers on Monday approved the form of a legislative petition proposed by Medical and Recreational Peace, an Eaton Rapids-based group backing the proposal.

The measure would make it legal for those 18 and older to use marijuana on private property. Those found using the drug in public would be guilty of a civil infraction punishable by a $50 fine.

The measure also would allow people to grow marijuana at their residences.

Medical and Recreational Peace must gather about 304,000 valid petition signatures over a six-month period to get on the November 2008 ballot.

Proponents of legalizing marijuana for those age 21 and older began circulating petitions last year for the 2006 ballot but did not collect enough signatures. Similar efforts also failed in 2000 and 2002.

Pubdate: Mon, 27 Nov 2006
Source: South Bend Tribune (IN)
Copyright: 2006 South Bend Tribune
Details: http://www.mapinc.org/media/621
Bookmark: http://www.mapinc.org/decrim.htm (Decrim/Legalization)

Peace and *bong* :friends:

Devilock

Haven't read it yet. Would like to but funds are real right atm.

Just an fyi to the peeps in Michigan reading this. If your not registered to vote DO NOT SIGN A PETITION. Theres usually about 20 spots for sigs on petitions. Every time someone signs a petition thats not regesterd to vote that particular petition is thrown out with all the legit sigs.

Another fyi, this for collectors of sigs. Make the people signing it prove there registerd to vote so it don't fuck it up for all the other sigs. THanx

G

More info

More info

If I wanted to be a collectors of sigs, how would I get in contact with these people?

Devilock

Hey peanutbutter. I haven't been able to find that out yet. My guess is they'll start collecting sometime in 2007. They get 6 month to come up with enough sigs. I'll be sure to post it here as soon as i find out though. Glad to see some intrest in helping out peanutbutter. Peace and *bong* :friends:

G

The Bling said:
has anyone read the burning of rainbow farm?

Just read some excerpts in the metrotimes. Still have the issue next to my desk.

SpacedCWBY

Veteran
Read in the paper today that they decided to not do anything with the bill and let it die. How nice of them. Fckr's

G

SpacedCWBY said:
Read in the paper today that they decided to not do anything with the bill and let it die. How nice of them. Fckr's

I think that you are talking about bill 5470.

I was there and saw the rep from the FDA lie to the congressmen.

It's one thing to be unlearned. (ignorant)
It's something else to desire to stay that way.
Hard to imagine the FDA wishing to stay stupid and misinformed about pot.

Devilock

Hey spacedcwby reread my first post. 2nd sentence says "The Board of State Canvassers on Monday approved the form of a legislative petition proposed by Medical and Recreational Peace, an Eaton Rapids-based group backing the proposal."

That means the bill is not dead. Just have to get sigs. Lets not confuse people.

SalParadise

Devil, you're right - the bill isn't dead...yet. The House committee said that they won't take any action on it, which means that it will die at the end of the year, so its as good as dead. The petition is another initiative altogther...

As much as I would like to see Michigan step out of its shell and become progressive with this petition, I fear that setting the age limit at 18 will kill our chances...

the bill that died was the one sponsored by Rep. Lamar Lemmons III, D-Detroit, it has nothing to do with the petition drive of the Eaton Rapids based Medical and Recreational Peace. Also the bill that died will likely end up on the 2008 ballot for the voters to decide.

When anybody finds out where to sign this petition please post it asap.

2b2s

Devilock

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

MICHIGAN: Medical marijuana bill dies

Charlie Cain / Detroit News Lansing Bureau

LANSING — A bill to allow people with “debilitating medical conditions” to legally use marijuana to ease their symptoms died in the Michigan Legislature on Tuesday, and backers say the issue will likely be left up to voters to decide.

Following an often emotional, 90-minute hearing before a state House committee, the panel broke without taking a vote. It was the first and only hearing on the legislation, introduced a year ago.

The inaction means the bill will have to be reintroduced in a new session in January.

Supporters of the legislation, many battling diseases, packed the standing-room-only hearing room wearing red buttons that said: “Stop arresting patients for medical marijuana.”

The hearing attracted lawmakers from other states encouraging support of the bill.

Rep. Penny Bacchiochi, a Republican lawmaker from Connecticut, told members of the House Government Operations Committee that her husband was diagnosed with terminal bone cancer in 1982.

“I watched him waste away,” she said.

In the final three years before his 1994 death, she illegally bought marijuana on the street for him. The drug didn’t cure him but “he was able to laugh, able to regain a quality of life.”

Eleven states — Alaska, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Maine, Montana, Nevada, Oregon, Rhode Island, Vermont and Washington — have adopted laws to provide pot for patients with cancer, glaucoma, AIDS and other serious medical conditions.

Most laws were put on the books by a vote of the people, not legislative action.

Rep. Lamar Lemmons III, D-Detroit, the main sponsor of the bill, said he expects Michigan voters to be presented with the medical marijuana question in 2008.

Tuesday’s action followed approval Monday by the Board of State Canvassers of the form of a legislative petition proposal that would make it legal for those 18 and older to use marijuana on private property. Those found using the drug in public would be guilty of a civil infraction punishable by a $50 fine.

The measure is proposed for the 2008 statewide ballot.

Scott Burns, the deputy White House drug czar, flew in from Washington to oppose the bill.

He said the Food and Drug Administration, which for the last century has had the role of testing and approving new medications, has determined that marijuana “does not meet existing standards of safety and efficacy for modern medication.”

Burns said legalized marijuana would send a confusing signal to the nation’s youth.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061129/POLITICS/611290364

Peace

DaBronx

===================

Have the latest news on medical marijuana and marijuana law reform emailed to you, join: health.groups.yahoo.com/group/mmjnews/

This item is also posted online at:
www.dabronxnews.com

Is this the bill your talkin about? This is a totally different bill. Peace and *bong* :friends:

G

Michigan is a BROKE-DICK state. I wouldn't count on anything from the assholes who run the state government , In fact that propasal is a dream...that's it. You don't really think they were really going to pass that.HAH! what a fuckin' joke. The hard fact is what we do will remain illegal forever , because it makes the greedheads too much money to stop. People's wants and needs have nothing to do with law making , it's all about the almighty dollar.Untill someone figures out a way to make Marijuana MORE profitable being legal, it ain't never gonna happen.

Devilock

Well witchking you can speculate all you want or you can get off your ass and help try and make it happen. Im choosing the latter. People that say its never gonna happen, why bother? is the reason its still illegal. Also every year they do this it keeps getting more and more support. If your able you should help collect sigs. Peace and *bong* :friends:

G

We the people

We the people

78% of the people
favor medical marijuana
Why would this be impossible?​

G

THC is already being served in hospitals. Isn't this against Michigan laws? How is this being done?

Who is currently overlooking what???

I know when we voted for mmj in A2 our illustrious governer said "I do not care what the ppl voted for it is going to be illegal" or something to that effect.

What is to stop her from doing the same thing again if this proposal passes?

2b2s

Last edited:
G

2broke2smoke said:
I know when we voted for mmj in A2 our illustrious governer said "I do not care what the ppl voted for it is going to be illegal" or something to that effect.

What is to stop her from doing the same thing again if this proposal passes?

2b2s

Well ... I guess, since THC is being served at the UoM hospital, if the FDA sayz OK she is irrelivent.