What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Marijuana is here; let’s regulate it

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
After reading The Dispatch’s recent editorials and letters on the legalization of marijuana, I thought it was important to respond. Parents don’t want their kids to have access to marijuana. But we have to be realistic. Throughout Ohio, unregulated and untested illegal marijuana can arrive at your home faster than a pizza delivery.
What’s more, the people selling today don’t card their customers, because they don’t care about underage sales.
We need immediate reform. Ohio wastes $120 million per year to enforce its failed marijuana prohibition. ResponsibleOhio’s marijuana-legalization amendment would bring the necessary reform, by establishing the Marijuana Control Commission, whose many responsibilities would include conducting annual audits of the ten warehouses where marijuana would be grown.
And to protect our kids, the amendment would require jail for the sale of marijuana to anyone underage.
Marijuana can be consumed safely by responsible adults, and even can have many medical benefits. For example, medical marijuana can reduce post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) symptoms by 75 percent, according to the National Institutes of Health and the National Center for the Treatment of PTSD.
In these instances and many more, Ohio can and should offer the compassionate care that marijuana provides when properly regulated.
Marijuana reform is also a social-justice issue, given that black Ohioans are four times as likely to be arrested for marijuana as white Ohioans, even though both groups use marijuana at equal rates.
As communities struggle to recover from damaging funding cuts, it’s time to think seriously about the tax benefits that marijuana legalization will bring.
The amendment language clearly establishes how the tax revenue would be allocated from its flat tax off the top of each commercial sale. Our initial projections show that when the market stabilizes in 2020, the marijuana industry would generate $554 million in new tax revenue each year.
Let’s stop pretending that Ohioans don’t consume marijuana or that only bad people do. Both assertions are false.
Marijuana is prevalent now, fueling a black market and supporting drug dealers instead of benefiting our communities.
It’s time for marijuana reform. It’s the right thing to do, and it will make all of us safer.
IAN JAMES
Executive director
ResponsibleOhio
Columbus
http://www.dispatch.com/content/sto.../14/1-marijuana-is-here-lets-regulate-it.html

SoSour

I'm sick of all these pussies with this "lets regulate it" shit. It fucking grows straight from the ground. Just let it be. No taxes, no regulation, just let it operate as a fucking turnip that grows from the same ground.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
both of the preceding replies ignore unfortunate realities. while they do represent the perfect solution, neither has a snowballs chance in hell of happening. time to grow up & face facts instead of whining about how other people react to the real world...

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I gotta disagree w ya armedoldhippy.

This nation was founded on the freedom to act not the freedom to do as you are told...

You may as well be inviting the stazi to America with your attitude.

armedoldhippy

Veteran

This nation was founded on the freedom to act not the freedom to do as you are told...

next time you feel like doing whatever you want, go ahead. after you get out of jail, post up on here & let us know what it is like, LOL! even FREE people have rules that they have to go by. anything else is anarchy. that is all that holds society, such as it is, together. in a perfect world, I agree. pot should be treated like tomatoes, absolutely. and the time will come when that is the reality of it. but that is not today, nor will it be next year. the average joe on the street has to see that folks can handle the freedom they have before he votes to give them more. lets use driving as an analogy; first you read your drivers manual. then you get a learners permit. then, your parents/guardian/drivers ed instructor TEACH you how to drive. THEN, you take a test to see if you qualify for a license. in some states, you are restricted as to the hours you can be out, and the distance from home you can be. you don't just turn 16 and get handed the keys to a damn turbo Porsche "go get 'em, kid!" that is reality...:comfort:

m314

ICMag Donor
Veteran

I agree 100% about the freedom part. This nation was also founded on the idea that the people will decide on the representatives that make the laws. The majority of the American people support legalization now, but not the majority of actual voters. Not yet. Young people who overwhelmingly support legalization don't go out to vote as much as older people who grew up believing that marijuana is dangerous.

I don't want any kind of marijuana regulation, but right now it would be an improvement over prohibition. Or we could wait 20 or 30 years until we have enough support to make it as free and legal as oranges or lettuce.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ummmm...

You seem to forget thst Rights are not granted by a piece of paper but rather are the direct result of being.
Rights are inate from birth & in some places before birth.

Men created this servant government for what?

I think the reality of things has been severly distorted such that people that were once free have enslaved themselves to a failed system that is struggling to keep it's head above water. All the while the system is doing everything it can to keep up the facade.

In the mean time we deal with this fucked up reality.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So yall call a DUI more freedom than a $100 fine then done "freedom"?

Yall are fuckin wack!

armedoldhippy

Veteran
I don't want any kind of marijuana regulation, but right now it would be an improvement over prohibition. Or we could wait 20 or 30 years until we have enough support to make it as free and legal as oranges or lettuce.

and how many more people will go to jail/lose their jobs/homes/families in those 20 or 30 years? are you really willing to throw out "much better" because it isn't "perfect" yet ? anyone that would do that, in my opinion, deserves to be the next person arrested. and if they have kids, bust them too. it's only fair, you had the chance to stop it. it's like not wanting to have your children vaccinated against a horrible disease because you don't believe in it. when they get sick & die, who are you going to blame?

armedoldhippy

Veteran

they are already here. I am trying to get their foot off of our throats, and some people think it is better if they keep standing on our necks until they die of old age...:laughing:

oldchuck

Veteran
both of the preceding replies ignore unfortunate realities. while they do represent the perfect solution, neither has a snowballs chance in hell of happening. time to grow up & face facts instead of whining about how other people react to the real world...

As one old hippie to another, man, the only reason we are where we are today with weed is because a lot of us a long time ago said, "Fuck the cops, fuck the rules. I'm going to grow weed."

Now we have those greedy assholes in Ohio trying to write themselves a monopoly. It is a good example of why I don't like making law by voter referendum. If you have the big bucks you can buy your own personal amendment to a state constitution which guarantees your own fortune forever. It's a bad idea to fix the law in concrete.

Jhhnn

Veteran
I agree 100% about the freedom part. This nation was also founded on the idea that the people will decide on the representatives that make the laws. The majority of the American people support legalization now, but not the majority of actual voters. Not yet. Young people who overwhelmingly support legalization don't go out to vote as much as older people who grew up believing that marijuana is dangerous.

We do have to deal with current reality whether its moral underpinnings are right, wrong or indifferent, don't we?

It's not something we can pontificate our way around. That certainly didn't bring us to where we are today. Going on about freedom never got us anything- not back in the 60's, 70's, 80's or today, either.

We have to deal to get what we want. We can't have it all, not yet, anyway. Some deals are better than others, but we're doing well in CO. I think that offering up sin taxes put the whole thing over the top, brought a lot of people onboard. The fact that we got anonymous personal growing as a part of the State Constitution is an enormous & irrevocable win. We didn't get that until after 12 years of MMJ activists jousting with the legislature & shifting public opinion in our favor.

Ohio? They don't even have MMJ, so they've got a ways to go I figure. Doesn't make it right. Just makes it real.

Honest activists need to get out front with measures styled like those in CO, or even better along the lines of proposals in Alaska. Otherwise, we'll see initiatives from interests merely intent on cornering the market. That may be the case in Ohio.

The proposal at hand calls for 10 warehouse grows to supply over 11M Ohioans. That's a de facto cartel. It has personal growing provisions, but you'd have to register and there's a bogus 8 oz possession limit on that, so they'll probably want to inspect, as well. It doesn't look like something the community had much say in drafting.

http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/...c331d0c/Marijuana-Legalization-Amendment.aspx

W

WeetisPotPie

You think it was bad when it was flat out illegal. It will be much worse when state idiots are running things. Where I am it's already moving forward for the state to take control. I can tell you I don't feel any more comfortable now that the new dealer on the block is the state, and I live in a pretty mj liberal state. The problem isn't weed, it is the way the US is run period and until that is fixed money will be #1 and freedom will be way down the list and that doesn't just include freedom to toke up or grow weed.

waveguide

Veteran
As one old hippie to another, man, the only reason we are where we are today with weed is because a lot of us a long time ago said, "Fuck the cops, fuck the rules. I'm going to grow weed."

and all the humble, patient mexicans who suffered shit to give white people a chance to meet them. it took decades of mexicans taking care of american lawns and cleaning hotel rooms to help bring some semblance of tolerance to much of the u.s.

Crusader Rabbit

Veteran
No matter what laws get passed, I expect the powers that be to make a mess of it. I intend to always hide my growing. Been that way for over forty years now. I'm used to it. But irregardless of who ultimately gets to grow and sell cannabis, once the smell of pot smoke is no longer a legitimate reason for the police to come to my door, I'll call that a significant improvement.

Latest posts

Latest posts