What's new

Marijuana: Hawaii Insurer Denies Woman Transplant Because of Pot Use

idoja

We can see what kind of edumacation gets foisted off on the poor and the less white.
i don't know if i'm slow on the uptake or if you cant make a point for shit, but i don't get it. it's a conflict of interest for a hospital to run like a business.

Open Eyes

It's not Doctors making the calls when it comes to approving things in the for profit medical industry, and that is what it is in the US - a business, its soulless, without remorse overweight paper pushers that make life and death decisions.

Pythagllio

Patient Grower
Veteran
i don't know if i'm slow on the uptake or if you cant make a point for shit, but i don't get it. it's a conflict of interest for a hospital to run like a business.

The point was that if you run the hospitals like the public schools, that the hospitals will be administered much like the public schools, and the poor and inner city residents will receive the same substandard care as the education they receive.

I don't see a 'conflict of interest' in running a hospital like a business. Perhaps you could explain the 'conflict' you see. Now I know people have some kind of thinking that says 'profit is bad' but that's philosophical bullshit, not reality. In reality, the pursuit of profit has brought us a much higher standard of living. Let's take a look at the countries where profit isn't allowed, or property rights aren't enforced and you'll find a place to live that sucks out loud. The thought 'profit is bad, mmkay' is counter productive thinking.

The common mistake being repeated here is the thought that there are enough qualified professionals willing to give their time and efforts away to provide these services, which is far from reality. Mother Theresa is a statistical outlier, not an average person.

The fact of the matter is that approaching 100% of the people in the world work to get paid, and wouldn't bother in the absence of compensation. The resources have to come from somewhere, they don't just magically appear because you think you shouldn't have to pay for something. Your 'plan' limits supply which is not a good thing. Increased supply and competition is a better plan. The fact of the matter is that there is a limited number of slots available for physician training. Double the number of doctors, and tell them to go and make as much money as they can and you'll see prices fall. Tell the current doctors that they can't make more than whatever the gov't sees fit to pay them and you'll see a lot of highly intelligent people picking other professions.

Somehow I think you see something being run as a business being somehow bad, that it is the nature of businesses to take and not provide needed services when nothing could be further from the truth. If you want to have a successful business you run it for the benefit of the customers.

Anyway, when you come up with a realistic plan to provide all with what they need for free please publish it. But I won't hold my breath. It's easy to say 'it should be free' but I've never seen one person holding this thought provide any kind of plan for supplying the resources to make their thought work.

Double the number of doctors, or better yet, lift the quota system entirely.

Same with hospitals. If someone wants to start one and has the resources there's no reason to say no, except to protect the prices at current hospitals.

Eliminate price disparities. Doctors can charge whatever price they like, but they have to charge the same price to all patients. If you have insurance I'm sure you've seen an EOB which states that the doctor billed $150 for your appointment but accepted a payment of $65.33. Had you gone to that doctor without insurance you would have been billed $150 and that's bullshit.

Modify insurance regulations so that the health insurance companies can't turn anyone away, and again, one price fits all. Our health insurance is through my wife's employer. BCBS charges her employer much less than they'd charge us if we tried to buy directly. Same people being covered, same coverage, but for some reason the price is higher. That's bullshit.

There's absolutely no need to eliminate the profit motive from healthcare, and a significant body of reasons to leave it in place.

B

Blue Dot

Let's take a look at the countries where profit isn't allowed, or property rights aren't enforced and you'll find a place to live that sucks out loud.

O' Really? I'm sure there are a few Canucks on here that would surely disagree with you. As well as some Swedes, etc.

get yer head out of the "America's model is right and is the only model that will work" way of thinking.

That's just close-minded, small-minded ignorance!

America's only the greatest super-power on earth because we squash anyone that opposes us, NOT because we know what the hell we are doing!! lol

idoja

Pythagllio i do not think that anyone here wants us to adopt the communist model. you've taken a specific issue and made broad generalizations while throwing partisan shit everywhere.
lets take very small part of the defense budget, then tax companies that do not provide a health care option, stop giving money away to failing companies(perhaps take some of that money back), maybe snatch some of the money chainey made for halliburton while he was in office, make purchasing the same, but cheaper, medication in canada legal again and covered under insurance......there are a fuck lot of ways to insure that health care is available to everyone. -it's just not as profitable for a lot of people afterworlds.
ethics are the philosophical bullshit that i ascribe to. "there is nothing wrong with making money" -unless you let a person die to do it.

Pythagllio

Patient Grower
Veteran
I'm sorry you think my position is 'partisan'. I'm about as non-partisan as a person can get. It's really a pathetic debate tactic to imply that I'm unethical or in favor of letting people die because I disagree with your philosophical bullshit. What happened to the woman in the OP was wrong, wrong, wrong, but it was a failure of regulation combined with the practical reality that anyone who uses an illegal drug is a second class citizen. Frankly, idoja you can go fuck yourself for your holier than thou attitude while offering no practical ideas on how to make you plan work.

It's simply stupefying to me that you two have read into my comments what you have. Blue Dot, nowhere in my post above did I claim or insinuate that 'America's model is the only possible blah blah blah'. There are a lot of Canadians who find their system wanting, and apples to apples statistics demonstrate that they have a lot of things which could be improved as well. No, my basis for saying that is not am talk show talking points, it's statistics straight out of the Canadian Ministry of Health. I'm not familiar with the Swedish model, but I am familiar with the Swiss model and that's the one that I currently think works the best. Your comment show that you are the small minded, limited thinker that categorizes anyone who you perceive to disagree with you unrealistic and unworkable dogma concerning the world. I'll state it right now, I think everyone should have a right to basic necessary health care. It doesn't mean that I believe we should throw the baby out with the bath water, as you seem to think.

Really, you guys are just as much knee jerk reactionaries as the right wing nutcakes who wish to protect the status quo.

idoja

your comparing health care to communism. who else uses this tactic while debating?
i think that cutting certain budgets and diverting the money into a health care budget for u.s. citizens, as well as increasing certain taxes and adding taxes to a certain few, is more than a practical way to help resolve the health care situation.

B

Blue Dot

Instead of this debate on the health care system who's with me on forcing insurance companies to remove the provision that smoking pot is grounds for denial of claim?

Just because it's not an actual prescription but rather a recco I think MMJ patients in MMJ states should be allowed to use their recomended drug by their doctor and this should not be able to be used by insurance companies for denial of claim.

i truly doubt this would happen in Canada. Truly. The transplant recipient may have to wait until the THC has metabolized out of the system, but that may be because of toxicology issues.

If it true what is written about the insurance company, that should not be tolerated.

Thc just gives them an excuse to deny service.Its the reason alot of employers have mandatory drug tests in accident cases.It gives them a way out.Unfortunately for the common recreational smoker(of whice we number in thetens of millions) these tests look primarily for thc and alchohol.Which do you think shows up the most.