What's new

Marijuana Causing Pain

Zentr

I'm not really familiar at all with marijuana. I've probably smoked it about four times. All I know is that every time I do smoke it my neck has incredible pain in it. I'd say for about the past six years of my life, I've had pain in my neck and shoulders. It usually is more noticeable when I'm stressed, or have been doing laborious work, sitting for a while, or working in the kitchen. I had some x-rays taken and it seems that my spine in my neck is the form of a whip-lash victim, with no curvature.

Anyway, accompanied by that, I feel as though my muscles are really tense and my jaw clicks and is painfully tense as well. When I eat, I notice the sensitivity in my teeth more and it's very unpleasant. I do have a tense jaw and sometimes find myself consciously having to relax it before I go to sleep, otherwise I grind my teeth.

So, what I'm wondering is, for some people, does marijuana have adverse affects? I've always heard it's used to alleviate pain but in fact I get quite the opposite. I'm not sure it has to do with the kind I'm smoking. I've never bought it before, it's usually been my friends. I live in Alaska and I'm not really sure where the marijuana comes from, if what she has is from the lower 48 or from up here. But apparently it's "good". I am completely oblivious. I'm just wondering if this is a normal reaction.

Lisdexik

Sounds to me like your pain stems from an anxiety related issue, and it is simply being amplified when you smoke marijuana. It is common for sativa strains to cause anxiety or increased heart rates in inexperienced smokers. I would either make an effort to fix or alleviate my anxiety naturally first, then you may find marijuana to cause less tension. I can say that it caused anxiety for me until I started to smoke on a weekly basis.

HTH

subrob

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have never heard of it causing pain before...but everyones physiology is different....try eating some cannabis edibles...thats much more reliable for pain relief IMO...as someone born in raised in the last frontier i can almost completely assure you what youve tried so far is good ole 'alaskan homegrown'...good luck and i hope you find what works for you...sub

T-type

I used to think that marijuana made my back ache worse, but I then concluded that it was because during my marijuana smoking ritual I was always sitting on my bed instead of a supportive chair and my muscles would relax causing me more bone pain.

Could it be something like that?

Maybe you veg out and stare at the tv like a zombie causing you neck pain? Maybe you have to hit your bong at a funny angle?

bterzz

Veteran
Maybe you can try an indica dominant strain like somebody mentioned earlier.

I once had bone surgery and if I was short on pain meds and tried to smoke a sativa dominant strain, I would feel a pulse where I had just gotten surgery and it would aggrevate it more. Honestly, I noticed this with Sativa strains...anything Indica would make me relax and usually forget about it.

For pain, a very strong indica is almost mandatory, but not always.

I wish you the best of luck,
feel better,
Peace.

M

medi-useA

IME Cannabis can exacerbate pain...I have a friend whose gums ache whenever he gets stoned...sometimes it makes my joints hurt more instead of less...
I have found when this happens if I have a Very Hot bath, it helps the effected areas.
My advice would be try a different strain and see if it helps.

muA

S

scarred4life

Lisdexik may be right. Some cannabis strains, as DJ Short points out, cause constriction of blood vessels/muscles/bronchials etc, while other strains cause relaxation of muscles and dilation of blood vessels/bronchials. (This can change based on the person consuming the cannabis.) Although i think sativas are more commonly constrictors rather than dilators, there are exceptions. For instance, afgooey and a few other indica strains can have an intense narcotic or "couch lock" effect that may cause constricted muscles for someone unconditioned to cannabis, while some sativas, like true blueberry, can have a clear and relaxing mental effect.
In addition to you possible trying the wrong strain for your condition, Zentr, you may also want to consider how "good" the cannabis you're using actually is. Often, cannabis obtained by beginners is seriously degraded and/or contaminated. Cannabis oils change there chemical composition over time or when overhandled, and the transference of THC into other compounds may result in an uncomfortable, sleepy, blaahhh feeling when consumed. (Amateurs often mistake the strength of this negative effect of degraded cannabis as a sign that they are consuming "good shit." The negative effect of "bammers," however, should not be mistaken for the narcotic headspace of a good indica.) One way to tell if the thc is degraded is to examine the resin glands on the bud, the small, shiny, sticky, bulbous glands that you will see on most of the bud pics here on icmag. Although a handheld microscope is best, decent cannabis should have at least some resin glands clearly visible to the naked eye. Unfortunately, it is not so easy to identify contaminated cannabis, but in general it should never taste or smell moldy and should not make your throat sore after consumption. Good bud may make you cough like you're going to die for a minute, but contaminated bud will often leave the users throat and lungs raw for a few hours after ingestion.
If you're serious about treating your neck pain, do some research on strains that work for your condition, order a few seeds off the internet, and grow your own!!!!

G

grasspass

Pot sometimes increases my joint pain for about 10 minutes after smoking , but after about 10 minutes later, it reduces the pain.

I also have 2 bad disc in my neck which cause headaches and a lot of cramps on the right side of my neck and down too my shoulders.Get yourself a good relaxing Indica.You will probably have to try a few different strains before you find the best one for you.The Indica pheno of KC33 works best for me and the wife. After about 5 min. my neck will relax and stop hurting.Medical marijuana is very real but not yet an exact science so get started....put in the work and I am sure you will be very satisfied.If you are taking opiates for relief, they may actually be causing your pain because your body will stop producing endorphines and become dependant on the pills and brother when that happens you will be in a world of shit.I know....it happened to me.....ol briar

headband 707

Plant whisperer
Veteran
Zen not everyone should smoke pot . If you have the feeling your doing somthing wrong pot will excerbate your issues or it can if you let it lol...Hence you will become tence and your pain will start. If your looking for pot to stop your pain I would suggest you eat it and be carful doing this as it might put you to sleep. If you want to get high I would have to suggest you chill and try other strains or not lol peace out Headband707

headband 707

Plant whisperer
Veteran
I just read through everyones posts and I think it's very interesting how different we all are and we all think so differently about it aswell. It's this lack of cohesion that keeps this community divided. I do wish there was a bit more info. on which bud did what. I posted one thread on that. There are a lot more new seeds coming out that should be put out and rated from 1 to 10 on how they work and if they are energetic ,sleepy etc. They are selling seeds for $2000.00 for 10 fem. seeds. It would be good to know the truth one way or the other by the ppl and not the companies hype bullshit IMHO lol.. not to mention the fact that I need this info for buying lol peace out Headband707

G

guest123

I'm not really familiar at all with marijuana. I've probably smoked it about four times. All I know is that every time I do smoke it my neck has incredible pain in it. I'd say for about the past six years of my life, I've had pain in my neck and shoulders. It usually is more noticeable when I'm stressed, or have been doing laborious work, sitting for a while, or working in the kitchen. I had some x-rays taken and it seems that my spine in my neck is the form of a whip-lash victim, with no curvature.

Anyway, accompanied by that, I feel as though my muscles are really tense and my jaw clicks and is painfully tense as well. When I eat, I notice the sensitivity in my teeth more and it's very unpleasant. I do have a tense jaw and sometimes find myself consciously having to relax it before I go to sleep, otherwise I grind my teeth.

So, what I'm wondering is, for some people, does marijuana have adverse affects? I've always heard it's used to alleviate pain but in fact I get quite the opposite. I'm not sure it has to do with the kind I'm smoking. I've never bought it before, it's usually been my friends. I live in Alaska and I'm not really sure where the marijuana comes from, if what she has is from the lower 48 or from up here. But apparently it's "good". I am completely oblivious. I'm just wondering if this is a normal reaction.

Very interesting that more people do not report these effects IMO, pain is a common side effect of many strains for me... muscle cramping in the neck/shoulders can be severe, as well as teeth grinding.

Try to keep an open mind and try several different strains. You should probably stay away from pure sativas, worst strain ever = green crack. I don't like ISS, mango haze or SSH either.

Heavy indicas may have their own side effects in enough dosage (mild headache, dry sinuses, drowsy/lightheaded for prolonged period), but I find most to be muscle relaxing. A good blueberry has a strong muscle relaxant effect for me.

Most "good" weed has enough side effects for me that I mostly use tried and true strains. Be very very careful with edibles, the edible will always turn out like the underlying strain!

kmk420kali

Freedom Fighter
Veteran
IME, weed helps with dull pain...and intensifies sharp pain--
For instance...if you smoke before getting a tattoo, it will generally (Of course there will be exceptions) but it will generally make you focus on the pain more--
Whereas if you have chronic back pain, then it will greatly help with relaxing muscles and alleviating pain--
That is why your teeth hurt more (Sharp Pain)...and your neck problem is more than likely caused by stress...prolly from all that teeth chomping!! lol

armedoldhippy

Veteran
i've gotten rid of mild headaches by burning a log before, & i've turned mild headaches into screaming migraines that way too. it DOES seem to depend on the strain...

HerbGlaze

Eugene Oregon
Veteran
Weed straight up kills.
Kidding, your just stressed and have a lot of tension in your life then tension occurs in your neck cause you notice when your more aggitated.
I say try out some 50/50 hybrid to ease your mind but numb your body pains.

DoobieDuck

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I just read through everyones posts and I think it's very interesting how different we all are and we all think so differently about it as well.
This is very interesting headband, maybe the docs could learn a few things from us. We have many good personal experiences along with advice posted. I've had several cerviclal fusions with hardware. I have chronic neck, shoulder, and back pain and I experience many of your symptoms Zen. The teeth thing has been explained to me as part of the post surgery issues. I have to wear a mouth guard at night, sometimes during the day.
Some strains cause an onset of terrible pain in my neck and shoulders, but others do not. I researched this extensively and found Cannabis a member of plants included in Laytex/Fruit syndrome. Some of the characteristics, symptoms, I was having fit into this and some did not. I think there needs to be more research in this area and that might just be going on as we speak. I feel your pain Bro and can only suggest trial and error in finding the right strain, as we are all very different and our issues are as well. Good luck..keep us posted here please and thank you..DD

rambone

I think a 50/50 hybrid would provide you with a more desirable effect, something to give you the euphoric high to take care of your anxiety combine with the sedative effect of some indicas. Don't really know whats going around up in your area but if you can find some true heads they'll be able to steer you in the right direction.

bageled j

i have the same problem with sum strains causing pains

worst strain for that is chem d.it really makes you feel like there is something wrong with you
og kushs are another that do it to me.

basically i have been having all sorts of weird pains all over my body and i thought there was something really wrong.i went to doctor,they ran all sorts of tests,turns out im healthy as can be.i tolf her i was a mmj patient for my tourettes syndrom and she then proceeded to tell me that marijuana can cause pain in some people.i was shocked to say the least.now if i dont smoke chem d or any og i feel fine.

sum real weird shit to say the least.it really sucks beacuse i love those strains but not enough for me to fell shity like that though

G

Ganja D

Very interesting discussion everyone. I have had my issues with herb for 12 years. The effects on a person can be largely effected by so many things and none are tested because of most Governments hatred of our sacred plant.
I sometimes have unpleasant experiences smoking. It can cause body pains and paranoia and anxiety. I assume this is caused by fluctuations in my tolerance due to changes of mental mind set, diet and physical exercise.
For example, sometimes I can take huge bong hit's all day for months burning up to half an ounce a week, all while staying focused motivated and loving life. Then, sometimes one small puff on a joint or bowl can trigger a horrible experience of physical discomfort that can last for hours.
I don't know what causes it, but it's been going on for 12 years. I love cannabis so much that when it happens I smoke through it knowing it will eventually get back to normal, and it does for a while. I just splash some cold water on my face and try to breath.
I think cannabis just amplifies everything in your soul. It makes you really feel your heart beat and every cell in you body has meaning. When your not ok, your reaction to herb might me made worse.
When life is good and balanced, my experience with herb has been more enriching to my life in more ways that I could name and in my opinion the greatest gift to humanity.

We will never be able to begin understanding ganja's capabilities and potential unless more governments allow testing. Maybe we could start by having a med forum on ICM and have people post experiences they've had medicating with certain strains for specific ailments and detailing their reactions. Problem is, too many stains and random hybrids that may mix genetics that nature never intended resulting in an unstable high. Too much to organize. Sorry, I'll stop rambling, I'm high and have too much to say about herb.

And the guy that started this thread, look up tmj syndrome, Could be whats causing pain in your jaw and grinding your teeth.

Peace.

Ganja D

Latest posts

Latest posts