What's new

Maria's Subtropical Outdoor Guerilla Grows with Connoisseur Genetics (Perpetual Journal)

Maria Sanchez

In other news, there's enough rain that I don't need to water anything.
And I really need to get these seedlings off my balcony and into big pots in the garden (somewhere, somehow).

Maria Sanchez

Was recently looking into VPD.
Used to think that the main issue with mold and stuff was just the relative humidity.
And obviously temp drops mean higher humidity, etc.
But it seems that the same humidity is not all the same at different temps.
High humidity isn't so bad with high temps.

Kind of explains why I had a bit of mold this harvest season, temps 10C-20C and RH often over 80%.
Looking at VPD charts, that would be massive danger zone.
But in the past I've harvested here during early mid and late summer, and the fall, with similar humidity, but no issues -- because the temps are still up in the high 20s C or in the 30s C.

Very interesting!

This is good for this present grow, aiming at a July harvest.
It'll be wet, as usual, but it'll also be hot.

Though I still have the question of how these sativas / hazes are going to respond to the light...?
Will they flower up 13.5/10.5? I've had photoperiod plants flower okay in summer here before, but...
We're soon going to find out!

Maria Sanchez

Ah the joys of nature😁, very happy that the Grail project is bringing good vibes back to your home. Cheers 👀

Yeah, it's pretty cool, huh? I hope it gets a fair bit bigger this time, even if not a monster tree, something with a good number of long colas would be awesome. Tasting this NLD pheno dried flowers, even without a proper cure, is producing very good results so far.

funkyhorse

Was recently looking into VPD.
Used to think that the main issue with mold and stuff was just the relative humidity.
And obviously temp drops mean higher humidity, etc.
But it seems that the same humidity is not all the same at different temps.
High humidity isn't so bad with high temps.

Kind of explains why I had a bit of mold this harvest season, temps 10C-20C and RH often over 80%.
Looking at VPD charts, that would be massive danger zone.
But in the past I've harvested here during early mid and late summer, and the fall, with similar humidity, but no issues -- because the temps are still up in the high 20s C or in the 30s C.

Very interesting!

This is good for this present grow, aiming at a July harvest.
It'll be wet, as usual, but it'll also be hot.

Though I still have the question of how these sativas / hazes are going to respond to the light...?
Will they flower up 13.5/10.5? I've had photoperiod plants flower okay in summer here before, but...
We're soon going to find out!
Not many people grow in humid environments it seems
I am looking now what VPD is
I am growing outdoors 4 years now in this environment
My current RH is 82% on a cloudy day so temperatures dont go up too much. It is a cold autumm day

But until now I had just tropical weather, days and nights over 20C. Every single night is 99% RH and daytimes are 65% the lowest being 75% the norm during daytime. It is hard to dry plants properly here
I harvested so far in this tropical weather:
G13 x Skunk. First samples not bad. I had 6 girls all of them were cut when they show rot for the second time. All of the plants are given a second shot. Second time rot, plant is chopped. They rot close to finnishing so not too bad
NL5 x Hz Mr Nice: 7 girls all of them rot, no exceptions. It was bred probably for indoor run. I dont like it at all, 30 min high weed for me it is undesirable, I give it away present to neighbours, they are very happy. They love Bazooka bubblegum terpenes. I find it very disgusting. I never thought I was going to smell such terpenes in cannabis
G13 x Lemon Larry Hashplant making it very well considering it is hashplant. I have one more going I will chop tomorrow before the 3 day consecutive rain. This last one no rot so far.
If you like indicas, try sourcing Lemon Larry or Lemon Thai. These 2 are the best indicas I grew in this environment in terms of finnishing and maturing quite properly or close to it

This one is called Special Big. It is Nigeria x Haze Special KC Brains
I had 4 girls, all of them show rot close to finnishing here
Cut and chuck and smoke the rest, buds are very nice
SB window rot (2).jpeg
SB window (4).jpeg

Deedee
A waste of time in my environment and I guess in yours too
All of them mercilessly rot mid flower
This is the best of them, I chopped them all
I cant get them to mature more than this here
Smells are clear indica. I dont understand why is this thing called sativa legend
Super sticky like the Lemon Larry. If I dont like the smoke I make all of it hash
I clearly dislike the terpenes, I hope they fade during cure, if not it will become hash
Deedee 3 (1).jpeg
Deedee 3 (3).jpeg
Deedee 3 (4).jpeg

I grew Seedsman Original Haze in winter time similar temperatures to yours and it rots too. A few survived the winter for a second run and then growing from summer to winter descending hours no rot
After seeing temperature and RH and plants flowering in them in different environments I think if you cannot get temperatures above 20C during daytime then it is a waste of time to grow. You get rot and low productivity
If plants can get above 20C every day for some hours in your environment you shoudnt have much problems. If as I suspect you have colder days than that in winter, then if you can give cover to the plants, a mini greenhouse setting will help them a lot
I wonder if you can make some cover for the plants during winter and grow humidity resistant genetics
The canna world dont breed for humidity. The top notch plants that arrived from humidity environments to Europe aren either in the dustbin or they are deep but very deep hidden in some fridges never going to see the rays of the sun speculating with some bullshit sativa revival.
People speculate economically with genetics they cant grow in Europe and Usa. It is what it is
If you find decent genetics for your humid environment just let me know please

funkyhorse

This is a very windy area, without protection from wind the plants would get broken easily here
It is eolic energy production area
This is my environment. I was proposed to use a dehumidifier
I wonder where should the dehumifier be expelling the humidity.
If you have outdoors 99% humidity naturally with crazy winds and storms of 100 to 150 kms/hour similar to typhoons, you better cover your plants from the wind if you want to finnish them and smoke some
Because this very high RH is how it is in any cfa koppen environment
I live in the green area in the coast. I dont buy the wind fan thing, ventilation is not the problem, the genetics are the problem. There is too much airflow here
el rio.jpeg

Hasch

learning and laughing
I live in the green area in the coast. I dont buy the wind fan thing, ventilation is not the problem, the genetics are the problem. There is too much airflow here
as I said: up to a certain point.

I grew a some BangiHaze with thicker colas, in high humidity. The airflow was insufficiant at night and I got Botrytis, even though the strain has excellent resistance to Botrytis...

funkyhorse

As I said genetics are the problem

I grew Bangi Haze here it made no rot. No fungus problems. 30 min high
Malawi did rot big time. Malawi Ace doesnt like humidity. Malawi was 2 hour sativa high on a hashplant plant, the only decent strain I grew from Ace

It is a matter of growing the proper genetics at the proper environment.

Maria Sanchez

Thanks for sharing, gentlemen.

My SSSTN (both of them), the two Grail project ladies, all had touches of mold, but not a lot.
And trimmed out, it took a few weeks even in the bad conditions to start again.
So while they aren't mold-proof, it was acceptable.

Still running more plants now, see how they go.
Yes, ideally I'd like something that doesn't mold.

But, this was winter harvest.
I think Funky's point about temps below 20C is a good one.
If I can start the fall-winter grow earlier, maybe harvest in December, should avoid this problem.
But then I'd have to start in typhoon season, which is another challenge!

May in late spring has a very wet time here, and at a site not too from here, with it's own microclimate, some plants got a bit of mold after literally no sun for a month and mist, fog, rain, cloud (at altitude) every day for that one month, the last month of flowering.
Strangely enough, the best plant that season was a Mazar from Dutch Passion, indica all the way.
Seems the buds were so hard the rain couldn't even get inside them to mold!
I now know to avoid finishing at that time.

Summers seem okay.
I've had some thick sativa dominant flowers do just fine in mid to late summer, temps always above 30C.
A Jack Herer auto and a Thai Gold photo from La Buena Hierba (guy knows his hazes!)
So this round starts March, veg through April (maybe a bit longer), and see if they can finish in about July.
July is the hottest, but also has less rain than May, June, August and September around here.

I also get plenty of wind here, and it helps a lot, but its not a cure-all, unfortunately.
Still, wind and airflow is just important in general, not just for this.
If they start young in the wind, they get seriously strong stems and branches.

Will try to plant out some of the Grail x ThaiFrican seedlings still at home, tomorrow.
Wish me luck!

Maria Sanchez

Spring-Summer Grow Begins -- Maria among the Hazes!

Day 22

Grail Project (early pheno) x ThaiFrican
  • (Grail Project) NH18 x MM pheno 1 = (NH18 x MM pheno 1) x (NH21 x MML Male) (12-16 weeks)
  • ThaiFrican = Outback Haze 2 clone, being (Hempy's Thai x NH21) x NH36 rev) X (Nevil Haze 23 x Kariba Male) (10-12 weeks)
Today the Grail x ThaiFricans, all five of them, went for a little journey.
They now have a new home at a completely different site.
For now, they're hiding in the long grass, and will move to a long term location nearby very soon.
All nicely healthy from their time at home, even with only a couple of hours of light a day in tiny pots.

PXL_20240412_080145535.jpg

You can already see a bit of variation.
Some are taller, some shorter.
Leaf width varies a bit.
The mother was the Grail (fast pheno).
Very sativa and haze, but a polyhybrid so the phenos could be all over the place.
Sounds fun to me, love a range of plants.

Soil is partly local dirt, which has a fairly high clay content ~ 60%.
But that's been mixed in with rice husks for months now ~ 15%, and it's broken the clay right up.
And now some worm castings thrown in ~25%.
Not beautiful, but it should be fine.

I need to prepare a large container / pot for them not far from here.
Might be a bit of an adventure, though, into the wild grasses and bamboos.
Then I'll move these two pots over.

Their growth will start to take off soon.
They'll be getting almost full day sun here, and their roots have space to spread.

The last younger L'n'L Jones which was at home is still on the balcony.
Hope to move her over to the original garden site, possibly tomorrow, let's see.
That is, both L'n'L Jones and the older three Grail x ThaiFrican at the first garden.
And these five Grail x ThaiFrican at the second garden.

Peace and Love,
~MJS

Last edited:

Maria Sanchez

Spring-Summer Grow Begins -- Maria among the Hazes!

Day 23

Finally have planted out everything at home.
The younger L'n'L Jones has gone with her sister to the main garden.

PXL_20240413_080805661.jpg

Lemon 'n' Lime Jones
  • Lemon N Lime Jones = Casey Jones cut x SSSDH cut reversed (8-10 weeks)
Older Miss L'n'L Jones with Grail NLD re-veg

PXL_20240413_080519462.jpg

Hope one won't crowd out the other.

Close up on the L'n'L

PXL_20240413_080524911.jpg

Younger Miss L'n'L Jones with Grail x ThaiFrican

PXL_20240413_080548469.jpg

I put her here due to space -- it's a bigger pot.
And also the Grail x ThaiFricans are regs, so maybe just 1 female to flower in this pot (plus L'n'L).

PXL_20240413_080557081.jpg

Grail Project (early pheno) x ThaiFrican
  • (Grail Project) NH18 x MM pheno 1 = (NH18 x MM pheno 1) x (NH21 x MML Male) (12-16 weeks)
  • ThaiFrican = Outback Haze 2 clone, being (Hempy's Thai x NH21) x NH36 rev) X (Nevil Haze 23 x Kariba Male) (10-12 weeks)
Well, you can see them above, but here's another shot:

PXL_20240413_080603207.jpg

Did a bit of leaf tucking, for what it's worth.
A bit crowded, but looking happy and healthy.

Meanwhile ....
Along with re-vegging Grail NLD girl, the two SSSTN girls are showing a little bit of re-veg, too:

PXL_20240413_080636085.jpg

PXL_20240413_080641623.jpg

PXL_20240413_080653595.jpg

PXL_20240413_080658016.jpg

So that's pretty interesting.
I'm just leaving them both to see what'll happen.
Maybe I get to keep the Big Girl SSSTN after all! :love:

Peace and Love,
~MJS

Maria Sanchez

🦇🦇🦇🦇🦇🦇

I think there are even more bats in the bat cave now.
First time they were just in one single basement / garage area.
But now they cover about three or four.
When you walk through, most of them are sleeping, but a couple fly around.
Freaked me out a bit at first, plus the bat squeaking sound.
But I think they're just flying around and signalling / squeaking to figure out what I am.
They don't come too close, so I guess they're curious but neither afraid nor aggressive.

Just thought you'd all want to know that! :LOL:
🦇🦇🦇🦇🦇🦇🦇🦇🦇🦇

Hasch

learning and laughing
Bat Ninja 😁

Here a lil update from my wardrobe
PXL_20240414_162604239.RAW-01.COVER.jpg

Week 7-8 of flowering

About 2 weeks ago I watered with excessive amounts of microorganisms (EM).
Since then Hon x Pan on left side is starting her fall program and the rest of the ladies are showing burnt leave tips 😬

Mitsuharu

White Window
Veteran
🦇🦇🦇🦇🦇🦇

I think there are even more bats in the bat cave now.
First time they were just in one single basement / garage area.
But now they cover about three or four.
When you walk through, most of them are sleeping, but a couple fly around.
Freaked me out a bit at first, plus the bat squeaking sound.
But I think they're just flying around and signalling / squeaking to figure out what I am.
They don't come too close, so I guess they're curious but neither afraid nor aggressive.

Just thought you'd all want to know that! :LOL:
🦇🦇🦇🦇🦇🦇🦇🦇🦇🦇
Free guano! 👌☺️

Maria Sanchez

Bat Ninja 😁

View attachment 18987665

Week 7-8 of flowering

Since then Hon x Pan on left side is starting her fall program and the rest of the ladies are showing burnt leave tips 😬
@Hasch !

Never mind the microorganisms, your garden is showing an extreme case of "Exotic Sativa Flower Explosion", which is probably accompanied by excessive amounts of wild and enticing aromas and perfumes taking over your whole house! It will probably continue for weeks to come.

Haha, but seriously, this little garden is looking AMAZING! Chunking up all over the place, with lots of white pistils showing these ladies still have plenty in them. Never mind those slightly yellowing leaves, I don't think it'll make much difference in the end.

How are the perfumes in the tent?! Why no bud-shots?

~BatGirl

Maria Sanchez

Bat Ninja 😁

View attachment 18987665

Week 7-8 of flowering

@Hasch !

Never mind the microorganisms, your garden is showing an extreme case of "Exotic Sativa Flower Explosion", which is probably accompanied by excessive amounts of wild and enticing aromas and perfumes taking over your whole house! It will probably continue for weeks to come.

Haha, but seriously, this little garden is looking AMAZING! Chunking up all over the place, with lots of white pistils showing these ladies still have plenty in them. Never mind those slightly yellowing leaves, I don't think it'll make much difference in the end.

How are the perfumes in the tent?! Why no bud-shots?

~BatGirl

Latest posts

Latest posts