What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Many Forest Gorillas vs Several Forest and Well Tended Plants

DoubleTripleOG

Chemdog & Kush Lover Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Yea I've got everything caged up. I don't have manure mixed into anything at the moment. I might add some when I transplant again in a few wks. I've got a good starter mix at the moment that won't be to hot. I'm not really sure if he's got any manure or not.... I may not use it I'm still debating. But yea I've got cages around everything I'm afraid a coon or possum might get into them. I pray I've got it locked down. I'm going get some moth balls and any kind of animal repellent I can find at walmart to spread around. I pee'd around the area and got rocks hold my cages down. It's a full-time job

They sell the animal/deer repellant stuff at Wal-Mart, and farm supply stores. It's a liquid. Then you get some of those air fresheners that are plastic . They are liquid filled and have a wick down into the liquid. Empty those out ,spray paint them forrest green. Fill them up with the repellant and hid them around the plants. Works very well in my experience.

repuk

Altruistic Hazeist
Veteran
Tychomonolyth said:
I'm 60 and was blessed with good genes. Still, I woke up three months ago and as I was getting out of bed I heard and felt a "PoP" in my shoulder. I was worried it wouldn't get better in time for planting season because I couldn't lift a cup of coffee for a month. It's good now, but only because growing outdoor is like going to the gym. But the outdoor is my church so I don't need motivation to get out.

Phew... I hear you... Rotator Cuff, have some "leftovers" from a bike crash. Doctors said surgery was the only "solution" and that I would be losing mobility even with it, I wasn't able to reach for the safety belt in the car!

Decided to screw them and try on my own, recovered 100% mobility and strength after 3 months of pain at presses in the gym. Couldn't agree more, the garden is my gym now! And motivation is the key.

Last edited:

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Phew... I hear you... Rotator Cuff, have some "leftovers" from a bike crash. Doctors said surgery was the only "solution" and that I would be losing mobility even with it, I wasn't able to reach for the safety belt in the car!

Decided to screw them and try on my own, recovered 100% mobility and strength after 3 months of pain at presses the gym. Couldn't agree more, the garden is my gym now! And motivation is the key.

*exactly right. Rotator Cuff. Ripped it water skiing 30 years ago. Same shoulder. But it could have started with a car crash, hockey, roping, or fighting (did jiu jitsu and full contact for almost 10 years). I had a lot of injuries at a time in life when it only took a week to heal. :biggrin:

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Once things get bigger, you will have your hands full if you want them full. There is still plenty to do up till harvest and then the trimming time comes in. It usually takes me around a month and a half plus to get my trimming done. That's just between me and one other person. We have a giant humidor we store the bud in and work on it as we go. Never had an issue with anything in a lot of years time.

Or you could be like me and just keep popping seeds weekly and planting all the way up till around the first week of August. I keep myself dropping plants in holes constantly. The big ones i put out first are very well taken care of. Then after all my main large trees are sit out I keep putting plants out until I run out of seed or clones. Then i take more cuttings and keep pushing. I don't even have my cuts taken off my mother yet. I need to do that tonight and get them started to root within the next few days. I like putting my clones out around the end of June.

:tiphat:
I've been thinking about popping another hundred, but I have so much in the ground now, I'm really going to be taxed to the max.

They sell the animal/deer repellant stuff at Wal-Mart, and farm supply stores. It's a liquid. Then you get some of those air fresheners that are plastic . They are liquid filled and have a wick down into the liquid. Empty those out ,spray paint them forrest green. Fill them up with the repellant and hid them around the plants. Works very well in my experience.
Just might work!

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Well the skunk next to my plants got creamed on the road yesterday. Not sure if it's him though. Next time I'll nail it with a paintball gun for identification purposes. I'll pick him up with a stick and drop him closer to the grow trail before the township cleans it up. :)

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran

Yea they got it at my Walmart, I started to grab it today but I had to get quiet a few bags of perlite and some type of spray for bugs. I'm gonna get that deer repellent soon. I go to the store once a week and I'm trying to get everything I need to set up 4 30gal grow pots. I'm gonna be putting 4 lady's in the big pots in a wk or 2 !!!

Hey have any of you guys saw the 20 gal tree bags at Walmart ??? There green and I'm thinking you could put some holes in the bottom if it doesn't have them and grow in it. I'm not sure if it's a bag for carrying a tree to plant or what. But there's a shit load on sale for like $4 and it's made of a lite weight kinda vinyl like but thinner. Maybe somebody has seen them??? I'm tempted to get one and see what's up with them or just take it out of the package in the store and check it out.

DoubleTripleOG

ICMag Donor
Yea they got it at my Walmart, I started to grab it today but I had to get quiet a few bags of perlite and some type of spray for bugs. I'm gonna get that deer repellent soon. I go to the store once a week and I'm trying to get everything I need to set up 4 30gal grow pots. I'm gonna be putting 4 lady's in the big pots in a wk or 2 !!!

Hey have any of you guys saw the 20 gal tree bags at Walmart ??? There green and I'm thinking you could put some holes in the bottom if it doesn't have them and grow in it. I'm not sure if it's a bag for carrying a tree to plant or what. But there's a shit load on sale for like $4 and it's made of a lite weight kinda vinyl like but thinner. Maybe somebody has seen them??? I'm tempted to get one and see what's up with them or just take it out of the package in the store and check it out.

I've seen them and thought the same thing. I think they are meant for protecting the bottoms of young tree's from small animals. Maybe I'm wrong.

They do have 10 packs of 20 gallon white on one side black on the other side plastic grow bags , on Ebay. $11.79, free shipping.

N

naturalbornkilr

almost 20 pages and not a single relevant picture, great thread

DoubleTripleOG

ICMag Donor
almost 20 pages and not a single relevant picture, great thread

Just cause you can't see my pics, doesn't mean they aren't there. Speaking of that, where's your pics/contribution to the thread? Plenty of other threads for you to get your post count up in.

Easy7

Veteran
This thread is about theory. Plenty of good reasons to grow many well tended plants. Of course it comes down to what your locations can handle and perform. As well as how much time and effort is going into getting to grow and traveling from patch to patch. How much you can haul in ON TIME and out ON TIME.

Budgeting time is as critical as budgeting gear and cash.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
This thread is about theory. Plenty of good reasons to grow many well tended plants. Of course it comes down to what your locations can handle and perform. As well as how much time and effort is going into getting to grow and traveling from patch to patch. How much you can haul in ON TIME and out ON TIME.

Budgeting time is as critical as budgeting gear and cash.

Exactly right Easy7. I think Time Management is the most important. There's a huge amount of work just to get ready if you want to max out alone. If I started getting my shit together two weeks before planting, I'd have fallen on my face by now. I had to work everything out before I even started and had to go over it countless times. If you've been doing it for a long time, all of this is just common sense. But until you think about it once or twice, the logistics can really mess you up. I'm new to a bigger grow so...

Here's some stuff to get started. I'll be more thorough when I document this in the end.

• Sites: One morning and one late afternoon physical evaluation visit, Knowing where the sun travels mid summertime helps, soil conditions, water, security, accessibility, seed run sites, Don't think you'll remember shit. You won't. So bring a little note pad and pen. ...
  • Strains: Flowering times/harvest times, yields, mold resistance, spring/fall frost resistance, match with sites/seed runs, ...
  • Germination, Seedlings and Timing: Is there enough room for them? Can I rotate? Time the germination batches. What about lighting? Which pots? What about growing media? Can I transport enough and how? Is the first batch of seedlings frost resistant? Should I put early autos out before my photos or after? Will the harvest be staggered properly, or am I going to be running my ass off at harvest because I didn't give it enough thought? ...
  • Planting Methods and Site Prep: Do I use a shovel? Auger? Soup Spoon? Will the site still be spring flooded May 1st when it's time to prep the holes (one was a foot under water)?. Hand shears, gas or electric Weed trimmer? Do I have enough batteries for the trimmer (for the whole job)? Do I have time to amend the holes 30 days ahead? Do I have bug spray (the good stuff) because I won't last 5 minutes in the field without it. What nutes do I amend the holes with and can I just mix them all together and drop a hand full in and around the hole? Some sites will benefit from including water crystals in with the amendments, some will need them. Can some sites be worked during the day? Early AM? Pre-dawn/dusk? And my favorite: Are you bringing drinking water!?
  • Feeding and Watering: If I did the prep properly, I shouldn't have to feed, but some may need water soluble Nitro in veg on July 1st to give them that extra boost at a critical time. To Foliar or not to Foliar? Did I test my 12 volt water pump? Can I use solar cells to keep the battery charged? Hose only or with buckets? Can I get black/grey/green watering pails or do I have to spray paint those bright orange fuckers? ...
  • Maintenance: Do I have contingencies for pests? PM? Mold? Slugs? Are cages needed? Do I have a big enough sprayer?
  • Harvest: Can I just grab the colas? (Tall lanky sativas are no good for that, so review the strain.). How do I haul it? Plastic bags? Big sports duffel bags? ATV/car/truck? How much can I realistically harvest and bring back to HQ in 1 hour? 3 hours? 6 hours? 1 day? Do my site & counts agree with this? (5 in one spot is a waster of time. So is 100.)
  • Drying and Curing: Can I dry some outdoor? Trim in the field or at HQ? Hang branches or drying racks. Am I going to debuck mechanically, with scissors or strip by hand? Wet trim or dry trim? Trimming machine or by hand? How much can be trimmed in 1 hour? 3 hours? 6 hours? 1 day? Cure in bins, paper bags, turkey bags, industrial garbage bags or cardboard?
  • Trim/Kief: What to do with it? Can cleaning/sifting be mechanized? Press in to hash? Rosin? Make pre-rolled?
  • Storage: Do I have enough room? Shelves? Is the freezer big enough? Do I need a freezer? How many rolls of vacuum bags will I need?
  • How many people know what I'm doing?: ZERO. Ok... one person, but he's a childhood friend who's been wholesaling for 40 years and will unload my crop. He's was laughing at my paperwork, but he's starting to see the light. lol

I work alone and use MSVisio and MSExcel for everything from germination schedules, strain flowering times, claimed yields, realistic yields, harvest and processing. I just couldn't do it any other way. I could, but 20 plants would be my max max max. Having everything ready to plant at the same time, and everything ready to harvest at the same time would be a major disaster. Even with planning, I'll be busy until around Christmas. But so far, so good. My early autos have been flowering for 3 weeks already. I started them in April, put them out 2nd week in May and we never had a frost. Woot Woot!! :tiphat:

Once this journey comes to an end, I'll be posting a formal Postmortem of what went well, poorly, blocks encountered, and finally a checklist of important questions that should be answered to make life easier. It won't be perfect, but hopefully most will be able to adopt some of it and modify it to fit their situation and goals.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I've really enjoyed reading this thread and gained some knowledge on growing through it. Pics are fun to look at and can provide insight but are not a substitute for words.
A picture is worth a thousand words. lol. I put the odd ones up. Just didn't see the point of putting up yet another image of a seedling. lol

I'll post more as I go.

1st pic is Norther Lights,
2nd pic Kali Mist, Chemdog, Revolver, Blue Dream, Forest popcorn seed

Northern Lights (2nd round)

Original Glue (GG#4)

Modified ice fishing auger. (I have a smaller "garden auger" and it works much better. Not so heavy and easier on the batteries)

I normally drill four holes in a tight box and one hole in the center, force the drill in a big circular motion to make the hole bigger below ground level, then reverse the drill to keep the soil in the hole. Add a big handful of premixed amendments and run the auger in it a foot or so deep. Holes end up being about 12 inches at ground level and about 24 inches below ground. I can do one every 30 seconds if I'm rushing it, but take about a minute to do it. Why bust my ass on a nice day?

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Once the holes are dug and amended, it's way too hot to plant seedlings. So I let them cook for a month and let the local wildlife get used to it and sniff around. It's essentially super soil in every hole. I'm just popping seeds for these holes at this time anyway.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Destroyed in a wind storm. Twice.

That's what I'm looking for. I keep 1/2 inch of water in the trays. The roots will be about 3 inches by the time they're 4 weeks old and go out to the spot. They only spend a couple days in the hobo greenhouse.

Popped some seeds a week early. Ran out of room. But 4 trays went out to the greenhouse a couple days later.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Auger shaft is slightly bent because I reef on it quite a bit when I'm digging sideways with it.

These are Diesel Oil strainers, otherwise know as Pail Strainers and they're stackable . I'll be using them as Dry Sift Screens with a rotary sander to shake them up. $25 each. From 45 to 200 microns in 5 or 55 gallon sizes.
https://www.cdf1.com/drum-pail/ez-strainer/

Test spot for next year.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Just spent the day trimming long ass grass, golden rod and nettles.
Lessons Learned:

1. Bring Gloves even if you think you don't need them.

2. When planting the seedlings, bring Bamboo sticks to stick in the ground at the same time so you can find them in long grass. (It would have saved me an hour or two searching.)