What's new

Manipuri

weedtoker

Veteran
What is the dj birdseed method? I have some Indian seed now and not that many of each strain.:tiphat:

He uses it "by applying pressure along the seam of the seed(...)", to be "assesssed for quality and maturity."

On Cultivating Exceptional Cannabis by DJ Short - 2003

So if you or others fancy, what you might try is as easy as after a holding a single seed between your thumb and pointing finger, apply little but crescent pressure along the seam of any desired seed until you feel it pop. This seems easier to do after a soak, or some days on the towel, but anyways after the shell pop's it wants to start their journey, or so it seems in my case.

cheers

thejact55

Damn that sucks and makes me fearful for the pack I have in the fridge as they're around the same age and I won't be able to sprout mine for another six months or so.

Good luck getting both a boy and girl but if worse comes to worse the hybrid with ukhrel sounds like it should be quite nice indeed especially if it brings some of that compact sativa structure to the hybrid while retaining the manipuri quality. There'd be gold in those genes for sure :biggrin:

Ya, I have seeds twice their age and more that sprout no problem, so not sure its just age. I still have the ones that didn't pop, I let them dry back out. I will scrape them, sand them or try this pressure method. I'm not giving up yet, although 3 or 4 weeks of keeping them warm and moist with no results isn't a good sign. oh well, the three I have are healthy and vigorous, and the 5 ukhrel are going along fine also.

baduy

When I germinated mine they took 2 weeks to break through top soil, I thought I failed then one morning.... Super healthy since the day, 4 out of 6 seeds, 3 months old and no preflowers

thejact55

3 months outside already, baduy? Or all indoor for three months...doubt that's right though. Lol just trying to wrap my head around mani plants that are three months old now and haven't been outside. Inside they would be giant. Haha I guess explain please. You have a warm climate they can go outside so early?

Thinking I've seen some of your other stuff outside on another site. Best of luck on your mani's

baduy

Haha growing those mani reminds me of when I grew my first African bagseed and had no clue about what to expect and what flowers looked like, Very prude plants when it comes to show them lady parts but I expect high female ratio. I started them on the 2/2 so they are just passed 3 months old now. They started under 55W T5 then went in the garden on 1st of March without much upgrading pots.
Pots were in a carboard box full of styrofoam to protect the roots from the cold. My climate is warm mediterranean with some frost happening sporadically from January to February so no night frost,I kept an eye on the weather forecasts all the same, they endured some rough nights with single digit temperatures, strong winds and rain but no damage so far, I know a such a rough start for a plant is not the best but I wanted to get rid of those which would show some extreme sensitivity to cold,as a result I kept them all.
Two days ago I transplanted them in native soil with some males I selected so I don't have to worry about watering them everyday, latter in summer I will take several clones of each and, once rooted, cull the mother plants. Then I think I would try different flowering strategies on some and let some other do their thing. So no monster Manipuri plant in my woods this summer but if I can have a few ripe buds, S2s and one champion to keep as a cutting I'll be more than happy.
I know I've been treating them like shit but yet despite all they look happy and thankfull :biggrin: still quite small because of the roots restriction but I expect explosive growth anytime now.
Stature is much less spindly than what I expectedr, you could even call them compact for a tropical Sativa.
I remember following your grows on this other RSC forum as well :) Any idea where Ngakpa has migrated now? Think I should check on his site if those Lebanese you enjoyed so much are still on sale.
pic coming later in the day.

baduy

Hi I know plants so close to each other might seem weird but as I said, they are just here to give me clones later
album.php

The more lime green colored one on the left of second picture is different, more broad leaves and seems to grow columnar, also much more nutrients hungry, she's recovering from some deficiencies now.
album.php

Not big for 3 months old plants but I saw they had nice roots when I transplanted them

thejact55

Yours are very similar to mine baduy. Fairly wide leaves, pretty squat plants. Thought maybe it was my new LED light keeping them so short, but maybe not. the front three are the manipuri, maybe a month old? the back 5 are the uhkrel, maybe 2-3 weeks old. Neither are very sativa looking at all. They are on 24 hrs of light, as I have other more standard strains in the tent with them now. Another week or two and Ill put them in flower. Good luck with the clones and such. Gonna just seed the heck out of mine.
For a minute i think ngakpa came on here more, but havent seen him anywhere lately

Attachments

• 20170504_192503.jpg
    20170504_192503.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 21

ngakpa

Veteran
@thejact55

@weedtoker

I get such a range of contradictory feedback on things like this that I don't know what the cause is

I have been giving the Manipuris away as freebies now for several months and since then I have had several people (three or more just in the last week) write back to me and say that they got 100% germination from the Manipuri freebies

you are best to write to me by e-mail and I can sort you out with replacements, thanks

ngakpa

Veteran
quite surprising how broad the leaflets of the early shade leaves are on them

I've not seen the Manipuri in early growth in Imphal so I have nothing to compare them to

I don't think that is too unexpected for Indian strains though

Himalayans will do the same early on, and then be very sativa later on

and yes, you can get short and creeper phenotypes in the Manipuri - but I've only seen them at the end of flowering, and in every respect they all looked like classic narrow leaflet tropical plants

what are the aromas like if any?

thejact55

It's all good on the germ thing. I blame luck much more than any supplier or myself or the seeds. I generally have good ratios, stuff happens. If I don't get a good female and male from my three specimens, maybe I'll send you a PM, as I can't buy these anymore :)

These are indeed unique. Wider leafs, and not super long either. In the beginning these were very short plants, but I had them on 24 hrs of light. Now that they are on 11/13 they are stretching out, and really taking their time showing sex. They've been in flower for like 2 weeks, I flipped an right after my above post, and I'm still not 100 percent sure on sex of any of them, but I have my suspicions. I'm actually thinking when they are done stretching they will max out the height of my tent.
The smell is actually quite nice. I open my tent and am hit with a citrus funk. The Manipuri smell stronger than the ukhrel growing with them. I also love their blueish leaves. Thinking this strain will be a good one, as part growers have shown as well.

baduy

My Manipuri have changed dramatically once transplanted. It seems to have given them kind of a signal cause they all reached sexual maturity (alternate branching)in the course of the subsequent week. Now they have very narrow leaves, internodes of side branches get noticeably longer. Stem smell is lemony-piney. The somehow broader leafed yellowish one(not that broad leaves either anymore) has the red sap trait, that's the only one still growing columnar the 3 others are branching vigorously.

Last edited:

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
So I got what Indian strains they had over at Seedsman. Kerala, Ukhrul, Kumaoni, Nanda Devi. What is the best of them, the Manipuri I could not get? Oh the humanity!

I had read of someone that the Nanda Devi had a sublime effect. I do not need the most thc, rather the best blend of chemicals in the plant with enough thc to trigger it all.

Zitz

So I got what Indian strains they had over at Seedsman. Kerala, Ukhrul, Kumaoni, Nanda Devi. What is the best of them, the Manipuri I could not get? Oh the humanity!

I had read of someone that the Nanda Devi had a sublime effect. I do not need the most thc, rather the best blend of chemicals in the plant with enough thc to trigger it all.

Put them in a hat and pick one at random, because all of them sound a good bet for a sublime effect :)

But... This part of the description for Kumaoni stood out:

"This variety makes arguably Kumaon's finest charas. What it lacks in refinement this variety makes up for with its standout high - blissful, bright and euphoric."

thejact55

I own all of these, but have only grown the nanda, and currently on the ukhrel, and Manipuri. They are all kind of different
Nanda devi and kumaoni will be very similar. Tall lanky charas plants, huge long leaves. Thin buds. I really liked my nandas, sure kumaon would be great too. Kind of a medium range sativa.
The Kerala is more tropical, lanky tall long flowering, with thin super sativa leaves.
I personally, with no science peg the ukhrel in the middle of these, albeit completely unique. For the sake of not alot of grow journals on ukhrel, my selfish vote is for that.

So really, what do you want? the feel of being close to the mountain growers in the Himalayas, a more "thaish" structured Indian plant from tropical India, or the middle of nowhere, people don't even know this part of india exists plant. They all have an allure don't they lol

meizzwang

It's mid october and my lone male manipuri hasn't yet flowered! Yikes! The good news is, the male has the strongest, most citrus dominant odor of all the plants.

Of the two female plants, both of them started flowering around early October. I was able to tell the gender of my best female around late September, while the longer flowering female didn't show any signs until the terminal growth points started shooting out hairs maybe 10 days ago.

Nutrient-wise, these have been very, very sensitive! They're grown organically with very light feeding, and are all sharing the exact same water and exact same soil. The latest flowering female plant turned yellow and sickly looking while the other two remained very healthy and happy! The pH probably shot up too high, so I added a nice layer of organic top soil which seems to have taken care of the issue.

Here's my best female manipuri. This is the only individual that stands a chance at finishing or getting close to finishing, but I'm not counting in it. However, I am counting on getting seeds from it :) Resin glands are starting to form relatively early in the flowering cycle, definitely liking that aspect of this strain:
37742787841_83dfd28b60_c.jpg

37742788581_4fa0489ac1_c.jpg

And here's my very sensitive, late flowering manipuri plant starting to green up now that the pH has been amended:
37694451236_57cc13e806_c.jpg

Fingers crossed the male opens in time to get seeds from these, never had one flower so damn late!

baduy

Wow meizzwang I was following the exact same plan but wild boars took down their spot, along somer other fine plants. In August 1 out of 5 had already shown sex. I think about doing it again next year only to get mature clones in time for an indoor grow, straight into flowering in September, although I found they clone terribly with their hard stems

baduy

I'd say grow the whole pack of ND micro grow style to find a good one and keep it, all those N Indian hash plants are not selected for the effects but for resin production so it takes wether numbers or luck to find a blissfull one.
I say Nanda Devi but haven't tried it cause kumaoni really likes to grow tall and big ans stretches like mad, sure would be a challenge in a closet, the ND seems a bit stockier and manageable with a shorter flowering time

weedtoker

Veteran
They seem sensitive nute-wise and that reveals itself in cloning/maturation/speed of trigger (even indoors), still they are very "plastic", adapting quickly to every kind of place/wherever they set their foot eheh. Another note, many of them carry that light greenish/yellow tinge like many NLD's (not the dark green, robust leaf that many are used to) and for that I have to warn, feed accordingly (less usually), avoid giving them more when the others look more "normal".

Cheers

meizzwang

some better pics of the manipuri plant. Finally was able to pollinate some branches, fingers crossed they finish in time. It's already getting pretty cold outside, so it'll be interesting to see how these take frost and rain.

Such a pretty looking thing:
38018460542_1e7cf84257_c.jpg

Close up of an unpollinated inflorescence. Notice the early forming resin glands:
37340381224_37a270916c_c.jpg

This is what I was hoping to get out of this plant, fingers crossed it'll finish:
37340380064_d506111352_c.jpg

Another shot:
24197294198_a2c7b87b13_c.jpg

ngakpa

Veteran
Hi - what latitude are you at?

Sadly, there is slim chance of a tropical cultivar withstanding rain, and no cannabis flowers do well if rained on.

Latest posts

Latest posts