What's new

Mandala gone, and wanted to grow hashberry, need an alternative!

So I've been growing a number of different strains my first grow (mistake I know) and hashberry is one of them.

I'd like to cut back to just one strain next run, however hashberry is all sold out, along with all mandala gear.

So I need an alternative.

Hashberry seemed easy to grow, with robust stem growth, and simple nutrient needs.

I'd like to grow something similar, just easy on the nutrient dosing (ie uniform needs), easy for a new grower, uniform phenotypes, and solid yields.

A high I'm looking for is calming, without the "knock out" put you to sleep effects. Potency doesn't hurt.

ConceptOfSleep

Hey 1love!

Ive never grown out the Hashberry, but since Mandala stock wont be around until Mike is feeling better, I might be able to offer a few choices...

The strain I say would best suit what you are looking for may be MOD's Godberry.... There isnt any in stock, but they are always on the SPECIALS every weekend (an only $25!!) Anyway, I have some in VEG right now, and they are very easy to grow...I noticed (and have heard) that they can be a bit heavy on the nitrogen, but I use a modified Lucas formula and they seem to have all the N they need...

In terms of potency I have heard that Godberry can be downright devestating If left to a full 9 weeks. Some like to take it a bit earlier in the 50-55 day range for a less kick your brain in the gutter high...

Maybe the Godberry would be what you are looking for....

FYI Godberry = SAG's Bubbleberry x Godbud

Good luck with your strain search!

:joint:

Z

zoolander

I've done Hashberry and it was a big let down in the stone department but had a good yield . I'm sure Godberry is way better and now I'm a tad bummed I bought 5 packs of Hashberry but it is fun and easy to grow and I also got some Godberry

I

icon

heres a few that are easy to grow,good yields & with a great calming relaxing high without the knockout,& they're all landrace or mostly like mandalas genetics:
HINDU KUSH - nirvana seeds,sensi seeds,kiwi seeds
MASTER KUSH - dutch passion,white label
AFGHAN KUSH - white label
CITRAL - nirvana seeds

Gert Lush

Veteran
Try Paradise's "Durga Mata". It ticks all your boxes.
(I'm sure you won't be disappointed, no-one I've recommended it to has ever been)

the Rock

ive grown godberry twice and hashberry twice= yield way better on hashberry all plants pretty similar.godberry= no two plants hardly the same, some mutants. good stone but seems like everyone built up quick tolerance to it,worked good for about a week[ my choice go with hashberry, averaged 4-5 ozs a plant copared to 1-2 on godberry

the other thing that is incredibly significant, short growth, my ceiling is 5ft 8" or so.

They have to do well in tight spaces, as the cab is only 2.5ft wide by 6.5 ft long with the 5ft 8" ceiling.

It does have two super sun 2 reflectors with two 400 watt CMH bulbs.

And yield well in that sort of space, at least as best as possible.

Shorter flowering time while maintaining potency and yield is obviously also desirable.

I'm assuming that flowering more plants in smaller pots will be better than a few plants with large pots.

IE one or two main colas, with all wasted growth trimmed (the canopy fills up so fast with my limited space) in a SOG style, or fewer plants in larger pots less trimmed.

Regardless the uniform growth has more to do with my height restrictions and general space restrictions than anything else.

Plus with all the issues I've had so far running multiple strains, I'd love something that was the exact opposite.

Maybe I just need to find a good clone, and have at it.

But til then, what should I start with for a base?

It needs to only be one strain.

I guess more than anything else, I want it to be really medicinal in effects, calming, not knockout sleepathon, and still mentally stimulating, not a cloudy stoney couchlock high. Zero anxiety.

If that is possible, that is my objective. Potent to that effect, I'm not looking for "fuck you sideways" potency, but just "more potent" effects of the desirables above I described.

So what should I pick up?

If it helps, I've been growing in coco coir, with canna nutes (numerous additives), and don't see any reason to change that up.

Floralicious +, rhizotonic during early growth, silica, mycorrizhae blend, bacteria blend (sub culture), cal/mag+, but not with every watering.

Anyways, in trying to narrow it down to exactly what is best for me, what do you think I should do?

I should say this:

When it comes to significant bang for the buck, cost is no object.

I'm willing to pay more for anything that gives me that much more of what I'm looking for, or is that much better.

So if that changes things at all, what should I do?

#1 I'm a new grower.
#2 I want gear that anyone would be damn proud of, with yields to boot.
#3 I'd love it to meet my list of desires
#4 It should really fit within my growing constraints

top worg

why not just order hashberry from mandala if thats what you want?they are still selling the seeds to customers thru their the mandala website just not thru wholesalers.

I popped 3 nirvana white widow, got one male (dead), and two females.

Both females were very similarly shaped, except one had dark green and pastel purple leaves, while the other one was lighter green. They yeilded exactly in proportion to their containers. I got 2 1/4 ounces off the purple in a 1 gal DWC bucket, and 4 1/2 ounces off the lighter green in a 2 gal DWC bucket.

I pulled them at 62 days, stronger stone at first, but it settles into a perfect day-time smoke by the time the first week is up. Not much in the taste department, though.

These were pretty easy to grow (perhaps not the easiest, but no big deal really).

A possible alternative. Good luck.

[ EDIT ] I grew these in a cab that was 4' high, NOT including the light, or buckets, or that all important space between the glass and plants (air cooled hood over here).

I LSTed these bitches good, and supercropped (pinch the stems then bend over) the main colas on each of them, and kept them about 22-4" high. You have a whole foot and eight inches more then me, so I think you'd be alright. I vegged these girls 35 days, so the height shouldn't become a factor as long as you don't veg them for 2 months.

My widow

Last edited:
Hashberry is one of my fave strains. Its high will give you 2 hours of happiness and stone every time you toke a bowl, not too much tolerance. It tastes very good.

I let my hashberry go always at least 67 days and sometimes i went to 72 days.

top worg said:
why not just order hashberry from mandala if thats what you want?they are still selling the seeds to customers thru their the mandala website just not thru wholesalers.

to my knowledge they have stopped selling entirely, and closed their site, at least that's the feeling I got when I visited their site yesterday.

I

icon

off the mandala website:
Dear Friends,
Our online shop and office is closed until the end of the year as we focus on important projects which require our full attention and energy.
We reopen on the 1st January, 2009 with fresh seed stock of Mandala #1 and new additions to the Mandala catalogue!

top worg

oh sorry i went to the site before posting and only saw the message about no more wholesale orders.whowever tonite i cant get the site to come up.so i guess i was mistaken.thanks for correcting me and letting me know.

limey

Hello again, 1love!

Picking up this thread... I agree with icon's recommendations for:
HINDU KUSH - nirvana seeds,sensi seeds,kiwi seeds
CITRAL - nirvana seeds

and GertLush's tip for Durga... (allright gertlush! you a west country boy?)

I dont know the white label AFGHAN KUSH so can't offer any personal experiences with that one

I wouldn't go for the MASTER KUSH though... dont get me wrong, it's good stuff and an old and stable strain but it can be tricky to grow.

As you know, I also recommend sensi's super and shiva skunks, for ease.

Basically, I think you should look for an indica dominant (for short height purposes) with some sativa influence (to help you with humidity, as indicas can be susceptible to bud rot). So you may also want to try:
Flying Dutchmen's Aurora Borealis
Any afghan/hindu kush x skunk strain. There are MANY. I am thinking along the lines of Mazar or Afghanica (beither of which, I must confess, I have tried).

my reluctance to go "kush" is due to the VAST number of strains available from breeders, all of which I know are not created equal.

The stability of the strain I feel is extremely important. I've dealt with the needs of numerous strains this time around, and it is so hard.

I don't feel a strain that with 20 seeds yields 10 females all with significantly different nutrient needs is going to be right for me, at least not as long as there is a much more stable alternative.

I felt that mandala really proved their salt with actual breeder work, thousands upon thousands of seeds tested, seeds checked for viability every so often, they germ'd extremely well and quickly.

Other breeders I feel are doing "glorified homebrew crosses" rather than true stabilized strains.

Thus I really want a solid strain from a solid breeder.

Something I can trust above all the rest.

Hence my issue with the kush, there are so many different kinds, and it's one of those strains literally every 30+ breeders have.

Again my concern is height/space restrictions, the high I'm looking for (see above) nice and mellow no anxiety, no sleepathon knockout, mentally clear/stimulating.

A shorter flowering time is also desirable, if yield and potency are maintained.

So what do you guys think?

I need a specific strain from a specific breeder.

I'm not afraid to drop extra coin, but again, bang for the buck!

So for a new grower, what is going to be the best?

melvin2

I've heard good things about DJ's Flo like its anti-anxiety properties and clear stimulating high. Dutch passion also sells flo a bit cheaper, maybe F2's(someone can correct me).

I was lucky enough to pick up a pack of Satori. Can't wait.

the main concern I have with hashberry as a choice is that I've yet to flower it, and I'm worried that it may stretch a bunch during flowering.

I'm looking for a plant that will grow easily with my 5ft 8" ceiling.

Maybe that plant isn't hashberry.

Low height, high I'm looking for, easy for a new grower, uniform/stable genetics, and finally decent yield.

Again my space is really small, 6.5 ft long by 2.5 ft wide, 5ft 8" tall.

So let me know what strain sounds the best!

If it's not hashberry, let me know!

What about Nirvana Big Bud? It's super easy to grow, top it and it'll stay pretty short (again, veg length will determine mature size), not the most potent strain but a pleasant high none-the-less.

I took mine a bit early, 56 days (maybe like 5% amber, just a few here and there, half and half cloudy/clear). It was stimulating, and made me smile. I wouldn't be lifted off into space, but sort of pushed along, if that makes any sense. I only did one run as I messed up my clones (accident), but was anxious to find out how they'd smoke a lot more ripe.

It yielded really well, I had 3 girls under a 150 watt HPS and 100 watts of cfls hanging around, and pulled 4.5 oz. They were in 1 gal DWC buckets, topped at the 5th node. They finished at 18-20".

It's not that expensive and with a pack of 10 I'm sure you'd find a nice mom. Take clones and then you won't have to worry about the different phenotypes. The reality is, you'll have to look for your mom, but once you find her, you can do your identical height/feeding regimen clone runs, no problem.

I had 2 phenos by the way: an afgani leaning pheno and also a more skunk leaning pheno. I preferred the skunk, but smoke them all and pick the best one for you.

Good look, buddy

The Skunky pheno (I'm gonna say 25-30 days flowering, but I forgot the exact day)

Last edited:

RubbaDub

Hi 1love1earth,

The Hashberry that I grew last spring was barely 3 feet tall. I vegged it for about 6 weeks, so maybe if you veg it longer it will grow taller. So easy to grow and so forgiving. It was my first grow ever, one of three strains. It was amazing what newby mistakes it tolerated.

The plant was basically a single, fat cola. Not a bad harvest for one plant. I hated the smoke at first, just tasted like old leaves. After I let it cure for about a month I was very surprised at the change in flavor. Definitely hashy, and definitely berry (somewhere between blueberry and blackberry?) in flavor.

Rubbadub

1love1earth said:
the main concern I have with hashberry as a choice is that I've yet to flower it, and I'm worried that it may stretch a bunch during flowering.

I'm looking for a plant that will grow easily with my 5ft 8" ceiling.

Maybe that plant isn't hashberry.

Low height, high I'm looking for, easy for a new grower, uniform/stable genetics, and finally decent yield.

Again my space is really small, 6.5 ft long by 2.5 ft wide, 5ft 8" tall.

So let me know what strain sounds the best!

If it's not hashberry, let me know!