Votes: 8 18.6%
  • Whatever

Votes: 6 14.0%
  • Never heard of it

Votes: 4 9.3%

• Total voters
D

danny karey

I think surviver man is a f'n chump next to bear.....I used to watch surviverman all the time, but switched..........Bear is EXTREME, surviverman is canadian, and so am I..........But Les's show is boring as hell compared to man vs wild.

Just my .02 cents

Danny

ps Wow!!! Does my post ever seem gay as hell or what..........................

I am not, or ever have been, or will be GAY ( not that there's anything wrong with that, but I like bearded, or non-bearded claim's personally)

Kizzattack

It's mostly fake, and Bear has been proven to be a very disingenuous guy. He stays in hotels when he implies he's camping out. Half the time he's swimming he's wearing a life vest. Half the survival tips he offers have been proven to be completely and utterly retarded, and in a few cases dangerous.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UpSlpvb1is
I told a friend of mine about that, and he flipped out because Bear Grylls goes to the same church as him and apparently he's a really nice guy. He isn't honest though. A quick Youtube search will show people that he lies about the location he's filming in and that some of the information he gives out is false and sometimes dangerous. Not bad for entertainment though. I just wouldn't rely on his advice if I was stranded in the middle of nowhere.

weedster

everyone got his favorite, my is bear but some of you like survivor man more ... what will world be like if everybody love the same thing. And if it is made up or not i don't care cuz he made exciting show :yes:

peace

pack a bowl

It's mostly fake, and Bear has been proven to be a very disingenuous guy. He stays in hotels when he implies he's camping out. Half the time he's swimming he's wearing a life vest. Half the survival tips he offers have been proven to be completely and utterly retarded, and in a few cases dangerous.

lol wow that vid is the ultimate pwnage of grillie-grillz.

i think what stroud does is more authentic, but way more poorly documented and more boring... so bear still is more interesting to watch than stroud play his hermonica. :fsu:

G

Guest 88950

Bear's survival tips are not for the inexpierenced as is Les' tips.

where is the hotels in the everglades, patagonia, sahara, etc...what tips are retarted? almost all of his survival techniques are Dangerous. he climbs trees in Costa Rica just to get a better understanding of what direction to go, no hotel in sight. he climbs waterfalls to get out of the canyon. he is ex-special forces so it is to be expected that his survival tips will be more extreme.

also, whats dangerous when your option is Death?

SSH

emmy75

in that utube video does anyone know where he is pretending to be? i mean location wise. ive never seen that episode before.

weedster

The phony bear faked it in Kilauea Volcano also. He taped most of the show a few hundred feet from various highways. He didn't even hike the easy three miles from the landing site to the final destination. Most of the scenes in the show don't exist in the area he was supposed to be in: avocado trees, lava tube, tropical forest, fissures, and landing site are all in different parts of the island and separated by up to 50 miles. I have hiked this area hundreds of times. I can understand how people who have not been to the area may think it's legitimate, but I was surprised how easy it was to dupe the Discovery Channel. It would be suicidal to follow the foolish advice given by this show.

In this clip, the phony bear is supposed to be next to the ocean and is trying to cross these fissures to get there. But he is, in fact, at the SW Rift Zone at the 4000 foot summit of Kilauea about 50 highway miles away from his very next scene next to the ocean and his final destination at the end of Highway 130. These fissures are unique to a small area on the summit and are a very popular tourist viewing area. They are only a few hundred feet long and easy to go around. Only the phony bear seems to have trouble crossing them. Throughout the episode, he makes up silly solutions to problems which don't exist. The fissures are located next to the parking area on the Crater Rim Drive shown on the clip.

peace

McSnappler

Lurk.
Veteran
I thought it was obvious Bear was a bit faked, but it doesn't matter. He gets dropped or driven to places, to be put in situations that look good for the camera, and teach you a bit of man against nature survival - lol @ dangerous, like the average couch potato who watches is going to find that out when?

Then they wrap him up in a towel and take him back to his hotel.

I think it's an entertaining TV show - not a manual on survival in the wild. Take it as it is and you'll probably enjoy it.

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I think surviver man is a f'n chump next to bear.....I used to watch surviverman all the time, but switched..........Bear is EXTREME, surviverman is canadian, and so am I..........But Les's show is boring as hell compared to man vs wild.

Just my .02 cents

Danny

ps Wow!!! Does my post ever seem gay as hell or what..........................

I am not, or ever have been, or will be GAY ( not that there's anything wrong with that, but I like bearded, or non-bearded claim's personally)

I am a real backpacker and survivalist, and if you try to survive like Bear Grills you will die. More than likley like this. You will just get sick from eating what bear eats, and then be dehydrated from diarea. Then you will be weak, and slip while tying one of his many stunts, and break your leg. Then when you black out, and you will get eaten by scavenging predators, while you are still alive.

Listen To les Stroud he knows his shit. (haha, listen more to les. get it? more, less. ahhh whateva)

Les Stroud, "Survivor man" is much more realistic. Bear grills has a camera crew, and sleeps in hotels. He also has pre built props.

Les Stroud is a hardcore survivalist. He goes out for 7 days alone with 80 lb's of camera gear, and no real backpacking gear, other than a rain shell, and the backpack. When I go out I only carry 40 to 45 lbs, and all of it is backpacking gear.

He statred a fire my polishing a metal can with chocolate, and focusing the light reflection os dry grass. When I go out I have 3 sources of easy to access fire.

He finds water in the desert full of sand and drinks it, because if he doesnt he will die. I carry a carbon water filter so I can refill my bottle in a river along the way, so I dont have to carry to much water weight.

pack a bowl

anyone else find it funny how a magnifying glass is never mentioned as a vital survival tool?

They talk so much about how vital fire is and how hard it can be to start one, but never once mention how simple a fire w/ a mag. glass on a sunny day (only downside) could be started in seconds.

weedster

maybe cuz lot of the people doesn't wear magnifying glass with them ? and u're right it's soo easy :D but u know what is easier just to bring lighter along :p

DIRT DIGGLER

I agree with hash zepplin,les Stroud is the real deal,just watched 3 hours worth the other night {high as a kite,I might add}.....lets see bear survive a week in the outback with 1 match and a cooking pot....plus stroud and myself are from the same neck of the woods {literally}, his parents own a local canoe and outfitters store,so I might be a lil'predjudice as he's from the same town.

Cascadia

I've rarely met a Survivorman fan who didn't also watch and enjoy Man vs. wild, I would be included in that number.

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Both shows are fantastic. Bear grills is a bad ass. that is why he can do what he does. I am not a bad ass so I will stick to stroud's advice

I think Man vs. Wild and Survivorman are both excellent shows. Lots to be learned from both I think, and I watch either every chance I get.

I love Survivorman hands down. More of a "Realistic" survalist if you will. Having to carry and set up his own gear on top of all the other things to overcome. I guess I kinda see survivorman as the "pioneer" if you will and Man vs Wild is the "new age". Either way they're both entertaining to watch. But I'd only follow one man's advice, and thats Les.

Nugz