What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi x PCK

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
That's very convenient El Timbo, extend the photoperiod until at least they pass seedling stage,
but don't delay it too much ... we have lovely sunny and warm days here, but this autumn is coming colder than previous years, don't you think so ?

El Timbo

That's very convenient El Timbo, extend the photoperiod until at least they pass seedling stage,
but don't delay it too much ... we have lovely sunny and warm days here, but this autumn is coming colder than previous years, don't you think so ?

Perhaps - but it's normal for me to flower outside all winter. It never freezes here even at night - I will keep them quite small and select a favourite green and purple to give them a chance to flower next spring/early summer.

kamyo

Veteran
Looking wonderful after 6 weeks of flowering kamyo :yes: super resinous and beautiful.

Judging from here just by appearance, this is the type of colorful expressions i would select for, although the quality of terpenes, potency, long lasting and quality of the effects must be also on the top to be considered a real winner coming from this F1, anyway it is not difficult to find that purple winner even with selections from relatively small sized purple populations.

Indeed, it is very easy to find color. I got 3 of 5, and I suspect that's probably average. The other 2 purple ones are also very good, and look like they'll pack a bigger punch in smell/flavor and effect. I think the calyx/leaf ratio of this one makes her stand out so much for me. Similar to PCK I've grown, but with a little more sativa influence. #5 is looking to be a contender as well. And #3 isn't showing as much color these days because it's been obscured by silver Malawi frost. Killer plants, as always.

kamyo

Veteran
Speaking of #5, here she is at 6 weeks
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

vcasqui

I chopped the one that I showed here previously. 54 days since pistils. She probably needed some more time, but the rains started again and I didn't want to risk it because I had to fight the mold since the first rains in mid-late September. I didn't get the fading on the leafs that I wanted, so I hope the smoke won't be harsh (specially because mine looks a little bit more leafy than most showed here I think). Hopefully I will be able to give it a proper drying, and then I will store it in vacuum sealed bags for at least 3 months.

I still have another plant that, in the last few days, has developed the most "unique" scent I've ever smelled in a MJ plant. It literally smells like a spiced meat we have in Spain, salchichón, with citric (kind of like lemon zest) undertones. She is drinking only water. The plan is to let her go for as long as the weather allows, but she has not shown any sign of mold so that's very good (I have her under a "porch", so she will not get wet by the rain).

Attachments

• hang1.jpg
    hang1.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 29
  • MPCK_left_bud2.jpg
    MPCK_left_bud2.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 27
  • MPCK_left_bud1.jpg
    MPCK_left_bud1.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 26
  • top_mpck_left.jpg
    top_mpck_left.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 30
  • MPCK_left.jpg
    MPCK_left.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 30
  • moarbuds.jpg
    moarbuds.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 30
  • thermouds.jpg
    thermouds.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 30
  • noflash_bud.jpg
    noflash_bud.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 30
  • bud.jpg
    bud.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 30
  • hang2.jpg
    hang2.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 28

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
It's a very laudable plan to try to inbred and stabilize each pheno, but i think the magic on this cross leans on its F1 status, hard to beat a F1 when all the best traits from both parental lines meet with the right combination, exploding in vigor due to heterosis.

It's quite easy to breed with PCK and make appear colorful phenos in the crosses with high frequency, but it's not so easy to 100 % stabilize for one color, since PCK has moderate genetic variability and always (sooner or later) different phenos regarding pigmentation pop up in successive generations, even when inbreeding pure PCK. It can be done, but won't be easy, it will require to inbred a lot each line and play with decently sized populations in each breeding step (especially on initial and intermediate breeding steps), and although even if you finally manage to fully stabilize one type of color, the line will be so inbred that will have very little vigor, yield and potency (at least compared with the original F1), so at that point they will be mainly useful to produce outcrosses in a more predictable way, but not so much to grow the inbred line for final production.

One idea I have is to try to develop separate green and purple lines.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
I have the feeling you have some real winners in your purple phenos you found in your pack kamyo ;) Wonderful resins and pics, and they still have a few weeks left to shine even more.

Congrats vcasqui on the harvest of your first Malawi x PCK :) Looks like she produced a very nice yield for a plant growin in a small pot :yes:

Glad the second one is showing great resistance against mold and rains.
Salchichón terpenes on this one, you said ? :D hehehe i attach a salchichón pic for those not familiarized with this delicacy of our country (sorry for the vegetarians).

Attachments

• P1100127
    P1100127
    54.8 KB · Views: 59

El Timbo

It's a very laudable plan to try to inbred and stabilize each pheno, but i think the magic on this cross leans on its F1 status, hard to beat a F1 when all the best traits from both parental lines meet with the right combination, exploding in vigor due to heterosis.

Thanks for your advice - my main aim is to find a keeper F1 mother but I will also make seeds - and perhaps aim to maintain variation instead of isolating traits.

kamyo

Veteran
Thanks. Forgot to mention that they're slightly seeded, but not sure what the donor was. Could have been a Bubba x PCK that threw out some last minute pollen.

Mountainkush

Here's #5 at almost 8 weeks

And #3 same age, but quicker to mature

Looks awesome kamyo. Your #3 reminds me of the first one of these I grew that was more pck dom and smelled/tasted like grape juice. I’m hoping to find one again some day.
How’s the smell on that one now?

kamyo

Veteran
Looks awesome kamyo. Your #3 reminds me of the first one of these I grew that was more pck dom and smelled/tasted like grape juice. I’m hoping to find one again some day.
How’s the smell on that one now?

Thanks. I've enjoyed looking at yours everytime I read through the thread. Not as fragrant as the greener phenos, but a definite PCK influence on the smell. Mostly fruit/berry, but not as "bright" as some of the other phenos. Your grape juice description seems was pretty accurate.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Loving the colorful phenos you are getting kamyo :dance013: It's going to be difficult to only keep one ;)

Always a pleasure to see you around and see your plants Pepe :wave:
Glad you got a green pheno this time after experiencing last year the purple one. Curious to know which do you prefer.

kamyo

Veteran
Lookin beautiful! Whats the nose like?
I need to pop a few more of these n do an indo run...

Both are relatively similar. Kind of a dark fermented fruit smell. Not terribly pronounced in terms of strength, although I suspect a cure will help. The less colorful phenos seem to be much "louder" with a couple of them having a brighter, more lemony mentholated smell. One of the green phenos has a completely different smell. Much more on the oniony side of things.

I tested #4 and she definitely coats the mouth. I get a kind of cough syrup taste from it, but I'm also really bad about describing tastes & smells.

Highly recommend this cross, although I can't think of an Ace cross that I don't recommend. I plan on keeping at least one, but will probably make some seeds with the others and a PCK male I've had in veg for the last several months.

Pepé The Grower

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Loving the colorful phenos you are getting kamyo It's going to be difficult to only keep one

Always a pleasure to see you around and see your plants Pepe
Glad you got a green pheno this time after experiencing last year the purple one. Curious to know which do you prefer.

Shared pleasure Dubi!

I guess i prefer the purple one, more of a punch out of it. Green seems nice, kind of a creeper high, clear at first but then turns out you got no will to move anymore lol.

Got a bit more pictures of the same plant grown differently:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php