What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

Tangwena

Veteran
I will keep a close eye. The ones I am opening today after 104 degrees I will let dry for a few hours. Then rewrapped and put in vac bags. After 7 days in warm area I will open and dry and rewrap and store at room temp for a few months but I will be checking for mold. If it happens inside what can you do?
I was thinking that at some point they could just age in their paper wrappers. Tangwena can you eventually leave them in the paper wrappers or is it best to unwrap and store in a jar? It would be kind of cool to break them out at a party still wrapped in paper and tied with string. Or give them as presents that way.

Thoughts...
They will get to the point of being able to be kept in the wraps only, however for long term I still keep em in a vac sealed bag to maintain the flavour and stop them getting too dry. That's not too say that I don't have a range of cobs or chunks thereof open at any one time, makes for easy access!
and if you feel they are losing their terpy-ness you can still seal them up again at any time.
Your wraps look awesome btw
Brother Taima-da is spot on my friend once dry enough to prevent mold they can be stored any way you would normally store buds.
But to get and keep that WOW! factor when opened keep the majority sealed up once cured to your liking.
I cant think of a better gift the unwrapping will floor them once the seal is broken ha ha.

Ur Humbl Nr8tor

Veteran
So after about 7 1/2 days, I’ve opened the cob pack
882F6B08-41BC-46BE-827C-3B913EF9EE5B.jpeg
C4AE790D-F1E6-4F94-8BC3-C09C868CAC93.jpeg
19D282BD-EB30-4130-A400-933E339473A6.jpeg
19D282BD-EB30-4130-A400-933E339473A6.jpeg

Everything is going exactly to plan. The aromas are ridiculous. Just as Tang suggested. Add a Coca Cola and chocolate note and it’s all just about perfect. I’m letting everything dry under a ceiling fan for an hour and then sealing it all back up. We are officially in the cure.

Ur Humbl Nr8tor

Veteran
"a vegetable tootsie roll"... ROFLMAO!

That canary bud looks excellent.It looks old school Mexican brickweed which was frequently very good smoke.

I experienced a lot of that old Mex brick. Too many seeds and it didn’t matter because occasionally the quality was top shelf. Yep, that canary is looking like a seedless version. Not kidding when my entire space is permeated with that choco root beer smell. From less than two ounces of bud. Pretty sweet.

Tangwena

Veteran
I experienced a lot of that old Mex brick. Too many seeds and it didn’t matter because occasionally the quality was top shelf. Yep, that canary is looking like a seedless version. Not kidding when my entire space is permeated with that choco root beer smell. From less than two ounces of bud. Pretty sweet.
My I caution you on going too big first try brother you may loose a couple of days or your family it can be pretty potent if you overdose.
My brother in law took an overdose despite me telling him that it was to be divided into 4 he chewed the whole lot.
His wife frowns on him using pot. He chewed it on the way home from work on Friday and spent the rest of the weekend pretending he had a bad flue lying in bed watching movies in his head ha ha.
Come Monday he was right as rain one of those 48hr viruses he said to the wife ha ha.

revegeta666

But to get and keep that WOW! factor when opened keep the majority sealed up once cured to your liking.
I cant think of a better gift the unwrapping will floor them once the seal is broken ha ha.
This is so true. My mom comes often for a coffee and she likes to go to my stash and open random jars and stick her nose inside because she likes the smell of weed. Doesn't smoke though.

So last time she came I gave her the scissors to open the sealed cobs and she was floored as you said haha. She said the bags smelled like "mermelada de marihuana" (weed jam I guess).

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
This is so true. My mom comes often for a coffee and she likes to go to my stash and open random jars and stick her nose inside because she likes the smell of weed. Doesn't smoke though.

So last time she came I gave her the scissors to open the sealed cobs and she was floored as you said haha. She said the bags smelled like "mermelada de marihuana" (weed jam I guess).
I have a few friends that don't get high but love the smell of a well cured cob.

This morning I visited a friend and gave them a 5g sample of a New Caledonia cob to try .I'm looking forward to hearing of his experiences.

Ur Humbl Nr8tor

Veteran
My I caution you on going too big first try brother you may loose a couple of days or your family it can be pretty potent if you overdose.
My brother in law took an overdose despite me telling him that it was to be divided into 4 he chewed the whole lot.
His wife frowns on him using pot. He chewed it on the way home from work on Friday and spent the rest of the weekend pretending he had a bad flue lying in bed watching movies in his head ha ha.
Come Monday he was right as rain one of those 48hr viruses he said to the wife ha ha.
Thanks for the advice, Tangwena. I’ve been reading your thread long enough to know restraint is well worth consideration. I’ll be letting the cob do it’s thing with some periodic drying over the next 4-6 weeks (or more). Playing some music with a friend tonight and I will have to break the seal just to give him a sniff of the sweet aromas.

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
I had a pleasant surprise this morning.

I received a message to say a package that I was expecting had been received for me; some seeds from a cobbing brother.

What I didn't expect was this
20221103_124549.jpg

A brand new, purpose made cob forming tube!, but almost twice the length of my original.

With this new tube I will be able to pack up cobs of 50-60g final weight!

I'd been wanting a slightly larger tube and this one is just perfect.

The seeds are Tikal f2 and are on my list to grow next year.

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
I am sticking to banana bark
This is canary brick 1 month old, it looks like the best paraguayan brick I got this century
It seems it can cure long time in the banana bark and canary bricks seem to work with this method as well
View attachment 18777378 View attachment 18777377

Have a nice day everyone
So your using the bark not the leaf? I have a friend with a big banana tree and would like to try it.

In a few more weeks I will, (I hope), be cobbing up 4 different plants and would like to try both banana and corn husks, though I may be to late in the year for fresh corn.

Last edited:

funkyhorse

So your using the bark not the peel? I have a friend with a big banana tree and would like to try it.

In a few more weeks I will, (I hope), be cobbing up 4 different plants and would like to try both banana and corn husks, though I may be to late in the year for fresh corn.
Yes, what I use is the banana tree bark. This is the traditional african method, Tangwena published the article in this thread. When they didnt have banana bark, they used corn husk
It is really interesting, the bark cures together with the brick and dont need to vacuum. Just wrap your buds with the bark and tie it and let it cure in a hot place
My greenhouse is swinging with temperatures ranging from 8C in the night to 40C in the day. 99% humidity at dawn and 30's% humidity after midday, so it is a natural yoghurt maker and it seems to work very well.
I wonder if goods can be kept 6 months curing like this. I am making it now with drier bud, this is a matter of testing it and nailing it someday

revegeta666

Yes, what I use is the banana tree bark. This is the traditional african method, Tangwena published the article in this thread. When they didnt have banana bark, they used corn husk
It is really interesting, the bark cures together with the brick and dont need to vacuum. Just wrap your buds with the bark and tie it and let it cure in a hot place
My greenhouse is swinging with temperatures ranging from 8C in the night to 40C in the day. 99% humidity at dawn and 30's% humidity after midday, so it is a natural yoghurt maker and it seems to work very well.
I wonder if goods can be kept 6 months curing like this. I am making it now with drier bud, this is a matter of testing it and nailing it someday
I would pay special attention to those cobs just in case. Big humidity swings like the one you described are really inviting to mold and other funghi, even more so than constant high RH. Do you usually have powdery mildew problems with your green house plants?

Latest posts

Latest posts