What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
@Onboard , it's took me a while to convert to just eating it. I did several days here and a week there but went back to vaping.

It's now 6 weeks or so and I'm still tempted to top up sometimes, but that urge gets less. Most days I take some early in the mornng and again after my siesta. there's been a couple of days where I've take nothing!, for me that's unheard of.

I'm not quite a the stage of Mrs DM, she can take 0.1g and be high for 12 hrs but I'm gettig there.
Late this afternoon I opened up a new cob, Super Malawi Haze and took 0.4g and am very nicely high. I'm still gettig higher so I reckon that tonight I'll be spacing out in bed.

If I remember tomorrow, I'll put up some pictures of the cob; It's quite dark but has some lovely colours in it. And very sparkly!

MrToast

Finally, I’ve signed up for the IC site here..Howdy Gang! 🙂

I live in Alberta Canada and have been growing for a number of years. I have accumulated a broad spectrum of genetics..(figure 100+ strains)

I have been watching Tangwena’s contributions in the Malawi Cobs for quite some time, but finally have become inspired to give them a try…excited to do so actually. (Tangwena thank you for sharing🙏)

I’m about all things new and different…

As much as I have collected some solid genetics from some of the Old World exotic strains..growing a 16-20 week Sativa is a bit more of a battle than I am willing to endure at my age..

Obviously, I can’t grow and finish them properly at 51 degree latitude..nor do I have the space to turn my basement into “JungleBook”..chuckle.

Thus I’ve focused on Autoflowers..breeding Landrace into desirable auto strains to expand cannabinoid profile beyond the traditional hybrids that have lost much of their goodness.

Some of my creations are getting pretty good. :)

Question Tangwena or anyone else who might like to chime in (Re:Cobs)

Do you think the fermentation and aging of cobs fundamentally change the cannabinoid profile of the herb?

Perhaps converting THC to THCP or THCV?

I assume so..

Much like timing and harvesting buds..timing, temp..you name it which can make a difference with cannabinoids and morphing into different cannabinoids..and terpenes.

THC, THCV, CBG, CBN, THCP…

THCP is suppose to have an effect 30-50 time greater than THC if memory serves me correct..

Does fermentation and aging change the chemical formation of the the primary cannabinoid many have become so accustomed to?

Thanks

Toast

Tangwena

Veteran
Finally, I’ve signed up for the IC site here..Howdy Gang! 🙂

I live in Alberta Canada and have been growing for a number of years. I have accumulated a broad spectrum of genetics..(figure 100+ strains)

I have been watching Tangwena’s contributions in the Malawi Cobs for quite some time, but finally have become inspired to give them a try…excited to do so actually. (Tangwena thank you for sharing🙏)

I’m about all things new and different…

As much as I have collected some solid genetics from some of the Old World exotic strains..growing a 16-20 week Sativa is a bit more of a battle than I am willing to endure at my age..

Obviously, I can’t grow and finish them properly at 51 degree latitude..nor do I have the space to turn my basement into “JungleBook”..chuckle.

Thus I’ve focused on Autoflowers..breeding Landrace into desirable auto strains to expand cannabinoid profile beyond the traditional hybrids that have lost much of their goodness.

Some of my creations are getting pretty good. :)

Question Tangwena or anyone else who might like to chime in (Re:Cobs)

Do you think the fermentation and aging of cobs fundamentally change the cannabinoid profile of the herb?

Perhaps converting THC to THCP or THCV?

I assume so..

Much like timing and harvesting buds..timing, temp..you name it which can make a difference with cannabinoids and morphing into different cannabinoids..and terpenes.

THC, THCV, CBG, CBN, THCP…

THCP is suppose to have an effect 30-50 time greater than THC if memory serves me correct..

Does fermentation and aging change the chemical formation of the the primary cannabinoid many have become so accustomed to?

Thanks

Toast
Hi my friend great that you want to give it a go.
A friend had a test done and it did change some thcv levels ect.
But I cant attest to how well that cure was done as he is in the US and I only saw pictures.
We came to the conclusion that there may well be new chemicals formed that are not as yet tested for or understood.

One interesting result was that the cob was quite amazingly sterile as far as mold ect.
The examiner actually commented on this as being very interesting to him.
Its in this thread somewhere I will try and find it for you.

But as it takes some skill and a special insight into what you are doing its very likely that a well cured cob has not as yet been tested.
But it does get you high and its a different high to dried flower, it smokes way smoother and tastes better if done correctly.
This takes practice and the better you get at it the bigger the reward.
I grew up smoking only cobs and have never seen a dried flower that has interested me as far as flavor and most importantly effect. dried flowers can be very terpy, the effects can be very nice as well dont get me wrong.
Its just more of a childs effects like beer and rye whisky to me one gets you stoned the other gets you high.

Tangwena

Veteran
1662776718787.png

MrToast

Tangwena..
Thank you again…

I’m still trying to cobble together the fundamental instructions you’ve given to put the cobs together..
I’m on about day 6 for a preliminary dry phase..plants are hanging, no snap to the stem as of yet.
Once the pass the “Snap test”..I’ll wrap them in corn husks and vacuum seal and sweat them at 40 deg for 24 hrs..(sounds good or better to increase or reduce sweat time?)
Remove from vac bag to reduce excess moisture…
Should I be drying the cobs again for a short period (how long?) before vacuum sealing again and curing for the long haul..3+ months

Thanks again for spreading the love with what you’ve learned not to mention passing along the lab tests

Best Regards..

Toast

StickyBandit

Tangwena..
Thank you again…

I’m still trying to cobble together the fundamental instructions you’ve given to put the cobs together..
I’m on about day 6 for a preliminary dry phase..plants are hanging, no snap to the stem as of yet.
Once the pass the “Snap test”..I’ll wrap them in corn husks and vacuum seal and sweat them at 40 deg for 24 hrs..(sounds good or better to increase or reduce sweat time?)
Should I be drying the cobs again for a short period (how long?) before vacuum sealing again and curing for the long haul..3+ months

Thanks again for spreading the love with what you’ve learned not to mention passing along the lab tests

Best Regards..

Toast
Sounds like that might be well dry enough, but I'm no expert. Maybe someone with more experience could chime in
I think you have gone way too far if you get stem snap

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
Tangwena..
Thank you again…

Best Regards..

Toast
Hi @MrToast , You don't need to go a high as 40c, 35c would be sufficient and neither do you need to go as long as 24hrs to initiate the sweat; Saying that 40c and 24hrs will work perfectly but perhaps be a little to "fierce", IE. you may loose some of the terps with that much heat and for so long.
Once sweated, let them dry well; This will probably take longer than you expected, possibly 1-2days at room temp. It will be somewhat dependant on the compression of the cob as well as the initial starting moisture. (6 days hang drying should be getting somewhere near about being ready).

Once dried and re vacced I like to bring the temp down to 30c for the ferment. I would advise checking them every week or so, (drying again every time you take them out of the bag) until the smell is where you want it (you'll know it when you smell it!). Now dry them much more before sealing them up for the long cure/aging.

Hope that clarifies things for you.

However you do it, it will work.

sneezydog

interesting. I have had it be too sry before. For me in my climate it can over dry fast and i have small buds usually so i cob when at least half of the buds are still bendy but firming up. But i have made them too wet too.. I like them to go full black sometimes, its like concrete..

Latest posts

Latest posts