What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

Tangwena

Veteran
I have been drying the cobs I made a couple of weeks ago now.
The aromas are mind blowing very sweet and piney with that deep resin smell you get from good traditional old school hashish.
These will go for aging after they dry they are very sticky at the moment and would smoke nicely as is.
These ones are from the Mulanje x Malawi/Ethiopian and are particularly aromatic.

IMG_0829.JPG
IMG_0828.JPG
IMG_0831.JPG
IMG_0830.JPG
IMG_0832.JPG

Tangwena

Veteran
I hope mine turn out looking as good as that, starting in the morning.

Hi my friend no reason why they wont follow the method you will get similar results.
Dry the buds by hanging the plant for 2 to 3 days.
Seal the compressed buds in a vacuum bag.
Choose to either sweat for 6 hrs or not at all.
Keep the vacuum sealed buds at around 25 to 30c for a week
Remove them and dry them slowly until the outside surface is dry to the touch
Reseal for another week at 25 to 30c
Remove and surface dry again before resealing for a month minimum 3 months is better.
Remove and surface dry again and they can then be used or vacuum sealed to age as long as you like.
I have vacuum sealed cobs 5 years old and like a good wine they just get better with age but for taste and flavor 3 to 9 months aged is best.

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
There are cobs I made that are kept for years and is very good smoke.

Kept in cold storage, and samples taken to room temp are sublime, I enjoy a good cob now and then,
somewhere between hashish and long cured buds.

Such a great thread, can't emphasize how important cobbing is as an addition to keeping cannabis stash long term.

dreaded

They're in the yogurt machine staggered, not on top of each other. Will shuffle every hour so that one isn't sitting on the bottom for too long.
Question: could I have used more than 1 husk to wrap. I used 1 & was kinda hard getting it all in. (First time though).
I used hybrids (all I had) but were of good quality.
Wish me well. :wave:

Tangwena

Veteran
They're in the yogurt machine staggered, not on top of each other. Will shuffle every hour so that one isn't sitting on the bottom for too long.
Question: could I have used more than 1 husk to wrap. I used 1 & was kinda hard getting it all in. (First time though).
I used hybrids (all I had) but were of good quality.
Wish me well. :wave:

Yes I regularly use 3 or 4 per cob just lay the overlapping each other once they are bound up they seal fine.
Thats all they are used for a wrapper they are a bit like grease proof paper the resin doesn't seem to stick to them as they are kind of waxy.

dreaded

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210827_133703.jpg Views:	0 Size:	88.9 KB ID:	17928299 Coming up on the 6hr. mark. There is visible sweat droplets inside bag. Opening bag to dry off the cob & inside of bag with paper towel. Revac cob & store 25c-30c for 7 days.
During these 7 days do I check for water droplets, or go the 7 days & check at the end?
Is that enough sweat?

Tangwena

Veteran
filedata/fetch?id=17928299&d=1630086615 Coming up on the 6hr. mark. There is visible sweat droplets inside bag. Opening bag to dry off the cob & inside of bag with paper towel. Revac cob & store 25c-30c for 7 days.
During these 7 days do I check for water droplets, or go the 7 days & check at the end?
Is that enough sweat?

Yes that looks good its on its way my friend if you see more water inside the bag dry again in 5 days time if not go the full 7 days.
You should get a good color change by then. I can see the canary buds already starting to turn from the pics so its all systems go brother.

Samuel Caldwell

I've been wanting to try this for awhile and I think now's the time. I've got a Zamaldelica drying and it's corn season so no problem getting fresh husks. Any tips on using ziplock bags? I don't have a vacuum sealer. I've looked back through the thread but don't want to miss anything. Thanks.

dreaded

Day 5, no visible water droplets. Leaving till day 7. Still haven't looked inside, but that's what the canary bud's are for. I can see what looks like resin coming through 2 of them.
After the 7 days do I take out of husk & let dry to the touch? Then reseal for the cure?

20210902_110142.jpg

Hombre del mont

Dr of Stupidity
Hi Dreaded, I'm no expert, unlike our teacher and friend Tangwena, but I do have several cobs under my belt.
I'm thinking that if your not seeing water droplets after 6 days, that most likely the weed was drier than ideal when it was cobbed.
I myself made this mistake with some Panama Haze that i had. I had no water droplets at all, even after several weeks!. When i eventually opened it (i didn't do a canary), i found that i was slightly moist and smelt good. Mrs Hombre Del Monte eats 0.2g in the morning and is flying all day!.
I believe that as long as there is some moisture in the bud when it goes in to the cure, then the bacteria that do the magic should still be good to go.

Looking at your canarys colour change, I'm almost certain that when you do unwrap them, they'll be good. Myself, i'd be tempted to leave them sealed up for longer, due to the slowed down rate of the ferment, although I'm sure Tangwena will be along shortly, to point you in the right dirrection and to correct me if I'm wrong; thats if he's not on another planet or out fishing!.