What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

MedBelgUsr

Hi Tangwena,

Could it be that after 3 months the THCa is not yet all converted to THC ? I could decarboxylate the next attempt.

I will also create cannapils from cobs : so it will be taken with grease and lecithin.

For the plants pictures, just look at the thread here about the Kali China : everybody said they looked well done, and the cob was that those plants.

https://www.icmag.com/forum/icmag-v...77821-kali-china-feminized/page5#post12562191

Wondering ....

Tangwena

Veteran
Hi Tangwena,

Could it be that after 3 months the THCa is not yet all converted to THC ? I could decarboxylate the next attempt.

I will also create cannapils from cobs : so it will be taken with grease and lecithin.

For the plants pictures, just look at the thread here about the Kali China : everybody said they looked well done, and the cob was that those plants.

https://www.icmag.com/forum/icmag-v...77821-kali-china-feminized/page5#post12562191

Wondering ....

I just checked the diary pics and Dubi seemed to think they were close so he would know better than me.
They didn't seem too early thats for sure. I haven't grown those strains myself so I dont know how strong they are.
I dont grow Indica looking plants.I did grow a Kali China once that Dubi sent me as a gift but I had to pull it early at about 8 weeks so it was super weak but I put that down to my bad growing.

That would leave only your tolerance level, assuming the cobs were cured properly they should be good enough to get high on.
Can you post some good close ups of the cobs as they are now?
Its the first time cobs that looked to be well cured did not have any effects to my knowledge its a strange one thats for sure.
I can get spaced on any of the cobs I have made even early picked flowers, although they are weaker than fully matured flowers.
Did I read somewhere your growing some A5 x Malawi or some such plant from Ace?
Maybe that would be stronger I know the plants I have grown from Aces sativa lines are extremely potent to the level that I dont look at anything else, when taken at full maturity they are dynamite.

MedBelgUsr

First of all, thanks for helping and caring 🙂

You are right : I have used Dubi's opinion to decide if the plants were good to be harvested and, in theory, it was the case ( I also checked the trichomes with a microscope before picking it up, as a double check ).

As you can see on the picture below, I have broken the cob in smaller pieces so you can inspect the inside as well as the outside.

On the outside, we do see crystals and the inside seems to have already converted chlorophyl into something else. So that's also good.

Kali Cob - Closeup.jpg

Yes, my tolerance is high and I really hope the Haze hybrids will be ridiculously strong ....

Attachments

• Kali Cob - Closeup.jpg
    Kali Cob - Closeup.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 30

Tangwena

Veteran
Well my friend that looks like a very nice cure from the pics its a shame you dont smoke as that would be a way to compare its potency.
I can only suggest growing something potent like Golden Tiger or Panama or Malawi from Ace and giving it 12 to 14 weeks to flower.

Also I only count flowering from the first appearance of bud sites not the flip, sometimes it can take 2 to 3 weeks from flip before buds start forming.
Thats why I only count from when the pistils start showing.
This cure does not make pot stronger just enhances the high which can make it appear stronger. It will not make weak pot strong pot.
You get out what you put in.

I have read your diary fully and from your questions would it be fair to say you do not have much experience growing your own?
Its not a put down in any form but it may help answer some questions.

Where did you get your medicine before you started growing your own?
I'm just trying to get a picture of your needs and experience so I can suggest remedies to help you get what your after.

What kind of effect are you hoping to get from the medicine once you produce it ?
In my experience every strain has pro's and con's, so finding out what effects your after will make your journey a lot quicker by focusing on the right strains to start with.
You will get the results your after if you grow the right plants and cure them this way its just a matter of getting the mix right.

MedBelgUsr

I dont grow myself because I am too physically disabled to do it ( being in a wheelchair, less than 4 feet tall and paralyzed from the chest down, it doesnt help ... ) but if you look at all my growing diaries, I always end up with a very good harvest ...
My main issue is indeed to find something very strong.

I do ask a lot of growing related questions because I believe that each strain is different : it's to avoid failure and to maximize the yield that I ask a lot of questions.
Real medical users have no luxury to have zero stocks, even for a day. And I am in that category, so I need to be efficient in order for the people growing for me to have the impression that their work is optimized.

Regarding strength, I had the chance to try a legit Gorilla Glue #4, and it floored me .... so my tolerance is high, but not in front of all strains. Yesterday I took 4gr of Kali in the form of powder pills, and at that dose, the effect was high ... so you see, I'm not such a lost case :eek:)

I am looking for effects similar to Neville's Haze's effects & potency, in feminized version. Let's hope I find it soon.

Tangwena

Veteran
I dont grow myself because I am too physically disabled to do it ( being in a wheelchair, less than 4 feet tall and paralyzed from the chest down, it doesnt help ... ) but if you look at all my growing diaries, I always end up with a very good harvest ...
My main issue is indeed to find something very strong.

I do ask a lot of growing related questions because I believe that each strain is different : it's to avoid failure and to maximize the yield that I ask a lot of questions.
Real medical users have no luxury to have zero stocks, even for a day. And I am in that category, so I need to be efficient in order for the people growing for me to have the impression that their work is optimized.

Regarding strength, I had the chance to try a legit Gorilla Glue #4, and it floored me .... so my tolerance is high, but not in front of all strains. Yesterday I took 4gr of Kali in the form of powder pills, and at that dose, the effect was high ... so you see, I'm not such a lost case :eek:)

I am looking for effects similar to Neville's Haze's effects & potency, in feminized version. Let's hope I find it soon.

Thank you for that very personal information my friend I think the Golden Tiger, Malawi and Panama or most of the crosses using these strains will be what your looking for.
To get the effects like GG harvest them late between 12 to 14 weeks of actual flowering to get the Neville Haze effects then 12 weeks flowering would be the go.
The darker cobs are def more deeper effects while lighter more energetic. With a little experimenting with the dose you will find what works for you.

4 grams of cob tells me for sure that the plant for whatever reason was weak your cure looked spot on and your tolerance cant be that high that you need 4 grams of cob if it was potent.
You are on the right trak you just need matured buds of some powerful strains like the ones I mentioned. I am sure you will find them good enough to use much lower doses.

Its a pity I am not in your area I could give you a selection of cobs to try to see if they are what you like, all the effects are different something for every occasion and need.
Stay safe and keep your spirits up speaking of which the Panama x Honduras is great for that.

MakaLacka

Kia ora Tangwena!

This is my first post so I hope its a goodie. Was hooked on trying cob curing the moment I read about it on here, something about it just 'spoke' to me and boy am I GLAD I did! :good:

I was hesitant to use the best of the crop and only ended up using the lowers (fluffy bud and less mature). I already regret this, should have used everything...... Early harvest of an unknown sativa @11 weeks, was forced to take down a few weeks early because of weather darn!

Dried for a day and a half. Sweated at 40c for 12h. Air dried briefly then sealed up for 7 days in a warm place. I had read about the fermented smells you were all describing but nothing prepares you for that first wiff of the bag. Fruity, tangy, spicy and sickly sweet - made me woozy haha!

I couldn't resist and had a taste of 0.1g in a bowl and had the most wonderful day. Clear and energetic high with giggles to spare, very impressive at this early stage. :dance013:

I'm happy with where these are at colour and smell wise, and will dry now and reseal for the next few months. My question is - Are you drying these bone dry to age or leaving some moisture in to age? I would like to stop the cure now.

Thanks you so much to all who have contributed on this most epic thread, I cherish this information very highly! Cant wait to cob it allll in the future hehe...

Maka

Attachments

• photo2047995.jpg
    photo2047995.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 36
  • photo2047997.jpg
    photo2047997.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 36
  • photo2047998.jpg
    photo2047998.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 30
  • photo2048000.jpg
    photo2048000.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 34
  • photo2048001.jpg
    photo2048001.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 30
  • photo2047999.jpg
    photo2047999.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 33

Tangwena

Veteran
Kia ora Tangwena!

This is my first post so I hope its a goodie. Was hooked on trying cob curing the moment I read about it on here, something about it just 'spoke' to me and boy am I GLAD I did! :good:

I was hesitant to use the best of the crop and only ended up using the lowers (fluffy bud and less mature). I already regret this, should have used everything...... Early harvest of an unknown sativa @11 weeks, was forced to take down a few weeks early because of weather darn!

Dried for a day and a half. Sweated at 40c for 12h. Air dried briefly then sealed up for 7 days in a warm place. I had read about the fermented smells you were all describing but nothing prepares you for that first wiff of the bag. Fruity, tangy, spicy and sickly sweet - made me woozy haha!

I couldn't resist and had a taste of 0.1g in a bowl and had the most wonderful day. Clear and energetic high with giggles to spare, very impressive at this early stage. :dance013:

I'm happy with where these are at colour and smell wise, and will dry now and reseal for the next few months. My question is - Are you drying these bone dry to age or leaving some moisture in to age? I would like to stop the cure now.

Thanks you so much to all who have contributed on this most epic thread, I cherish this information very highly! Cant wait to cob it allll in the future hehe...

Maka

Great first attempt and looks like you nailed it as well my friend.
Thank you for the kind words your success is my reward.

They look perfect for aging now, dry them 90%. I cant give a RH reading as I dont use a meter but you need a little moisture just a trace in the core of the cob to retain the nice terps.
This will distribute itself throughout the cob during aging.
Make sure you vacuum seal it to age and it becomes a time capsule.

If you over dry them dont worry the vacuum seal will keep them as they are now.
The moister they are when sealed the more compaction occurs and they can become rock hard over time.

As you have a few try different % of moisture for differing aging outcomes, dont be afraid to open, sniff and try at anytime during the aging and further dry if needed.
With a bit of practice your future cures will get better and better which equates to you getting higher and higher ha ha.
Good on you for giving it a go and welcome to another world of cannabis where the fun you experience growing never stops ha ha.

Tangwena

Veteran
Mulanje Gold and Mulanje x Malawi/Ethiopian after 1 year aging.
Still a little moist the Mulanje needs a dry but the terps are LOUD! wild honey background which comes out as it dries with a head smacking menthol/pine disinfectant smell that scares the pants off me ha ha.

The Mulanje x Malawi/Ethiopian is a sweet menthol/pine disinfectant with a seductive sweet honey smell over the moon I found these I had forgotten I had them ha ha.
I was just lamenting the fact that I had finished the last of that grow ha ha Thank god for stoner brain ha ha.

img_0310-web.jpg
img_0312-web.jpg
img_0316-web.jpg
img_0314-web.jpg
img_0318-web.jpg

Tangwena

Veteran
Close up under a scope of the Mulanje plenty of crazy salts and resins and blue sky triptonight haha this is seriously strong energising pot with a fantastic smell I just want to keep sniffing it all day.
Take no notice of the date the DeLorean was in the shop ha ha

Malawi gold traditional cob cured style

Click image for larger version  Name:	pict0027-web.jpg Views:	0 Size:	189.4 KB ID:	17871503
Click image for larger version  Name:	pict0030-web.jpg Views:	0 Size:	224.0 KB ID:	17871504
Click image for larger version  Name:	pict0032-web.jpg Views:	0 Size:	213.3 KB ID:	17871505
Click image for larger version  Name:	pict0035-web.jpg Views:	0 Size:	187.2 KB ID:	17871506
Click image for larger version  Name:	pict0037-web.jpg Views:	0 Size:	232.9 KB ID:	17871507

Tangwena

Veteran
nice pics Tang!!! Loving the intense colors.

The buds were quite airy with long foxtails some of the calyx were blue and their blue stains are like ink its crazy to look at.
I tried the indoor grown Mulanje buds today compared to the same clone grown in the sun the high is less manic more cruisey like a Panama but its all Mulanje laughing grass at its best.

40degsouth

1166A733-E5FB-4036-B782-E6EB1BD31E3E.jpeg
372FA92B-DEAF-4BE1-BA71-E30B2A001F0A.jpeg
Hi everyone, l hope you’re all well.
Here’s an update on the awful smelling, over fermented cob l told you all about a month or so ago.
I think I’ve got the dates wrong on this too....bloody lisdexia!!! Anyway, I’m so glad l never threw this one away, which was a very real possibility when l first opened the vac bag....it stunk.....bad; but after a 48hr dry and resealing, the smell has totally changed into a really intriguing beautiful floral scent. It does have a real menthol front nose, which tickles the front of my sinuses and makes me almost want to sneeze or rub my nose. It moves onto a deep red rose middle and ends with a nice rum, fruit cake finish, extremely complex and difficult to describe.
Got a couple of pictures and you can see the resin glistening in the light and when I roll it around it looks like it’s got glitter all over it.
Cheers,

MakaLacka

Hi all,

40degsouth awesome result mate, Tangwena's dead on when he says it gives the plant a second life!

Update on my cobs, after fermenting 7 days they were dried 50% then sealed up to age 9 days. The smell alone could knock out a horse hahaha! Sweet honey mixed with spices, I had been worried about destroying terps but this cure seems to work well with this sativa. They high matches the jar cured buds with potency, but gives a much cleaner 'high high high soaring in the clouds feeling'. Less body and more introspection, I have to lay down almost every time and have no choice but dive deep into the rabbit hole... Awesome. :abduct:

Smoke test after 1 week ferment doesn't even compare to now. Cant imagine these after a few months of ageing....... :woohoo:

Will dry briefly and return to sealed bag.

Many thanks All!

Maka

Attachments

• photo2050380.jpg
    photo2050380.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 28
  • photo2050381.jpg
    photo2050381.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 21

Tangwena

Veteran
Hi all,

40degsouth awesome result mate, Tangwena's dead on when he says it gives the plant a second life!

Update on my cobs, after fermenting 7 days they were dried 50% then sealed up to age 9 days. The smell alone could knock out a horse hahaha! Sweet honey mixed with spices, I had been worried about destroying terps but this cure seems to work well with this sativa. They high matches the jar cured buds with potency, but gives a much cleaner 'high high high soaring in the clouds feeling'. Less body and more introspection, I have to lay down almost every time and have no choice but dive deep into the rabbit hole... Awesome. :abduct:

Smoke test after 1 week ferment doesn't even compare to now. Cant imagine these after a few months of ageing....... :woohoo:

Will dry briefly and return to sealed bag.

Many thanks All!

Maka

Hi brother you describe the high very well and the difference in the two styles of curing.
The aged cobs get changed again another level and clearer as well I think you will like it.
Chasing rabbits is my favorite pass time as well.
There's a lot more to discover my friend and I have a feeling you'll find it as well you have the knowledge let it guide you.

Tangwena

Veteran
Hi everyone, l hope you’re all well.
Here’s an update on the awful smelling, over fermented cob l told you all about a month or so ago.
I think I’ve got the dates wrong on this too....bloody lisdexia!!! Anyway, I’m so glad l never threw this one away, which was a very real possibility when l first opened the vac bag....it stunk.....bad; but after a 48hr dry and resealing, the smell has totally changed into a really intriguing beautiful floral scent. It does have a real menthol front nose, which tickles the front of my sinuses and makes me almost want to sneeze or rub my nose. It moves onto a deep red rose middle and ends with a nice rum, fruit cake finish, extremely complex and difficult to describe.
Got a couple of pictures and you can see the resin glistening in the light and when I roll it around it looks like it’s got glitter all over it.
Cheers,

When are you going to try it my friend be careful those dark horses can give you a ride sometimes.

40degsouth

Hey everyone,
thanks very much MakaLacka, l know what you mean; it brings another dimension, or two, to the plant l believed l knew well. I find it an intriguing thought process to wonder how the effects would of changed “IF” I’d done something slightly different and how because of this, it’s an absolutely, never to be reproduced, one of a kind phenomenon.
I’ve also spent a lot of time thinking about fermented foods and how that can change something simple into something out of this world, in terms of health benefits.
The no sweat/ no dry is something I’ve been looking forward to doing, after reading about some of Tang’s experiments and outcomes and l did it with two different plants; one ended up stinky ( l think because l vac sealed it back up without any dry after initially checking it. l did dry the other one and it was quite obviously completely different) and one wasn’t, go figure.
It was interesting to watch the very dark tea coloured liquid come oozing out of the cob and up the bag on this re-seal, I’m pretty sure this is a sign to look out for, in the future, in order to prevent this bad smell and l also think this dark tannen is the obvious reason for the resulting dark cob.
As for trying it Tang, I’m a bit uncertain, l don’t think my head’s in the right place at the moment due to some major life effecting situations going on and l like to be clean of spirit before breaking in a new horse.
l might just give it to a friend who enjoys a wild ride and report back.
Cheers,

Tangwena

Veteran
Hey everyone,
thanks very much MakaLacka, l know what you mean; it brings another dimension, or two, to the plant l believed l knew well. I find it an intriguing thought process to wonder how the effects would of changed “IF” I’d done something slightly different and how because of this, it’s an absolutely, never to be reproduced, one of a kind phenomenon.
I’ve also spent a lot of time thinking about fermented foods and how that can change something simple into something out of this world, in terms of health benefits.
The no sweat/ no dry is something I’ve been looking forward to doing, after reading about some of Tang’s experiments and outcomes and l did it with two different plants; one ended up stinky ( l think because l vac sealed it back up without any dry after initially checking it. l did dry the other one and it was quite obviously completely different) and one wasn’t, go figure.
It was interesting to watch the very dark tea coloured liquid come oozing out of the cob and up the bag on this re-seal, I’m pretty sure this is a sign to look out for, in the future, in order to prevent this bad smell and l also think this dark tannen is the obvious reason for the resulting dark cob.
As for trying it Tang, I’m a bit uncertain, l don’t think my head’s in the right place at the moment due to some major life effecting situations going on and l like to be clean of spirit before breaking in a new horse.
l might just give it to a friend who enjoys a wild ride and report back.
Cheers,

I find chewing the right cob helps put any shit I have happening into perspective it is not what you think, its a clear insight into things you can step outside yourself and your ego is put on one side you would be surprised how simple life is without the baggage you collect as you move through life.
I use it to think things through and the results are always positive.

Latest posts

Latest posts