What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

BigBlack

dear tangwena! i'm very excited to try this cob method. i have faith, due to the testimonials and especially your enthusiasm ... i have absolute faith that it will be the best cure ever. so i want to thank you for your devotion to this project. it's an amazing work of art, overall, the writing and photo's and little gif inserts (i'm not very computery, sorry). it's art at its finest and i feel blessed to have stumbled in here.

i have some tobacco leaves that would make perfect wrappers. has anyone tried curing with large green (unfermented) or fermented tobac leaves?

thank you again for the hard work and dedication. one and all who read this. i'm new to the site and probably not following instructions on how to post, etc. lol, well, i have a feeling most in here are serial rule breakers as well. i'm here named after my dog Big Black, a kind and gentle but stubborn companion of years now. i'm a little old lady, keeping to the woods and rocks and plants. i liked extracts until i read this thread.

i'm almost finished with the whole thing. i'd stop along the way and comment but then this is all i would do and i already likely do it too much. dog bless everyone. have a nice day. i'm ever so curious about the tobac leaves.

Tangwena

Veteran
dear tangwena! i'm very excited to try this cob method. i have faith, due to the testimonials and especially your enthusiasm ... i have absolute faith that it will be the best cure ever. so i want to thank you for your devotion to this project. it's an amazing work of art, overall, the writing and photo's and little gif inserts (i'm not very computery, sorry). it's art at its finest and i feel blessed to have stumbled in here.

i have some tobacco leaves that would make perfect wrappers. has anyone tried curing with large green (unfermented) or fermented tobac leaves?

thank you again for the hard work and dedication. one and all who read this. i'm new to the site and probably not following instructions on how to post, etc. lol, well, i have a feeling most in here are serial rule breakers as well. i'm here named after my dog Big Black, a kind and gentle but stubborn companion of years now. i'm a little old lady, keeping to the woods and rocks and plants. i liked extracts until i read this thread.

i'm almost finished with the whole thing. i'd stop along the way and comment but then this is all i would do and i already likely do it too much. dog bless everyone. have a nice day. i'm ever so curious about the tobac leaves.

Well a big high to you my lady and thanks for the kind words. Dont have too much faith as it does take a bit of practice to get it perfect but I'm sure you will succeed if you try.
There is another lady who I respect greatly Sweet Sue from 420 forum you might like to read her thread on cob curing coming from a female perspective may give some added understanding.
If you like extracts you will have fun with cob cured buds.
I have never used anything other than maize husk or banana tree bark which are both traditional Malawi cob wrappers so cant comment on anything else. Maybe try without any wrapper first and once you feel confident experiment with alternatives.
Canary buds as we like to call them work perfectly and if you use a vacuum bag you can keep an eye on the cure through the plastic bag.
It takes a lot of the guess work out of it initially.

Chewed aged cob is an Alice in wonderland experience on the right plant and love of nature, rocks and plants will become even deeper on a chewed cob high, bliss doesn't even come close to describing the effects.
Please feel free to ask any questions here. I will do my best to help you attain perfection. One thing is for sure the right plant cured the right way is a gift from the universe or God whichever you believe in most and your connection to both is closest on a cob high.

Tangwena

Veteran
Some shaved slices of Zamaldelica 2017 cure and bottom of pic Chopper read 2019 donated by a friend and fellow enthusiast.

Cut these shaved pieces up and roll up a one skinner its all your going to need.

Aged cobs take on a hash like appearance and texture with a deep rich smoke thats easy on the lungs.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6328.jpg Views:	23 Size:	114.6 KB ID:	17817637
Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6329.jpg Views:	22 Size:	112.4 KB ID:	17817638

TPFTFW

Veteran
Some shaved slices of Zamaldelica 2017 cure and bottom of pic Chopper read 2019 donated by a friend and fellow enthusiast.

Cop these shaved pieces up and roll up a one skinner its all your going to need.

Aged cobs take on a hash like appearance and texture with a deep rich smoke thats easy on the lungs.

THATS AWESOME

I got a couple lights of sour diesel going in
do you think a 10-11 week sativa like sour is “sativa” enough to Cobb?

I want something that looks like that!

how long has that been aged

has anyone tried using a sushi bamboo mat to press into an even shape yet?

Last edited:

Maple_Flail

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210328_124707.jpg Views:	0 Size:	42.5 KB ID:	17817864

Got an interesting bloom around it, the other cob didn't get that so i'm give it an extra day.. and I was a day earlier than intended. so 9.5 day ferment

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210328_125041.jpg Views:	0 Size:	50.2 KB ID:	17817865

The initial aroma is currently freshly unsealed and starting to dry is dominated by the fermentation. Very complex hard to describe
very reminiscent of fresh wood and sweet sap, with an underlying musk and slight pine that the drying flowers are drying into.

i'm stoaked

current Weight.. 20.34g Starting weight. 23.13g

Tangwena

Veteran
THATS AWESOME

I got a couple lights of sour diesel going in
do you think a 10-11 week sativa like sour is “sativa” enough to Cobb?

I want something that looks like that!

how long has that been aged

has anyone tried using a sushi bamboo mat to press into an even shape yet?

Hi my friend I have some cob gifted by a friend made from a cross called sour mango its sour diesel x mango haze and that is a crazy high and the smell and taste are amazing so I dont see why sour diesel wont work.

The Zamaldelica was made in 2017 and has been dried and then sealed up and aged since then its very strong and super spaced out trippy chewed good for a party lots of crazy energy.

The Chopper Read is from 2019 and has had the same treatment. Good old Aussie sativa high great for a day in the sun with friends feels like I'm at a barbeque drinking beer and having a good time.

Sushi mats are a must have for pre rolling buds for cobs either wrapped in corn husks or canary style straight in the bag.

image_1893724.jpg
image_1893723.jpg
image_1893722.jpg
image_1893721.jpg

Tangwena

Veteran

Got an interesting bloom around it, the other cob didn't get that so i'm give it an extra day.. and I was a day earlier than intended. so 9.5 day ferment

The initial aroma is currently freshly unsealed and starting to dry is dominated by the fermentation. Very complex hard to describe
very reminiscent of fresh wood and sweet sap, with an underlying musk and slight pine that the drying flowers are drying into.

i'm stoaked

Hi my friend nice job.
That looks done nicely the bloom is a very good portent of things to come.
I would dry it until only the core is slightly moist and then seal it up to age.
Of course you can use it now once dried as well but age adds class to the high like aged whisky is better than freshly distilled whisky.

Maple_Flail

as far as storage for curing is concerned is there a pro vs con for say "re-vac sealing" vs a mason for curing?

currently is drying at a rate of about 0.2g (meaning it loses 0.2g water weight per hr in current enviro) [ 23*c + 48% RH ] an hour maybe a little more.

will likely be starting to store it in a few hours when it starts to slow down into the 0.0X range per hour. expecting 13g-16g once finished drying

So far this has been a wonderful learning experience. I'm glad i've got other alternatives to the less than ideal cluster than just leaving them for the mix batch butters. This plant wasn't exactly ideal for this type of treatment as it only grows like a sativa leaning hybrid. the effect of the resin and early dried flower is very Stoney and strong. I'm expecting interesting things out of it seeing how different the aroma is compare for curing flowers

Tangwena

Veteran
as far as storage for curing is concerned is there a pro vs con for say "re-vac sealing" vs a mason for curing?

currently is drying at a rate of about 0.2g (meaning it loses 0.2g water weight per hr in current enviro) [ 23*c + 48% RH ] an hour maybe a little more.

will likely be starting to store it in a few hours when it starts to slow down into the 0.0X range per hour. expecting 13g-16g once finished drying

So far this has been a wonderful learning experience. I'm glad i've got other alternatives to the less than ideal cluster than just leaving them for the mix batch butters. This plant wasn't exactly ideal for this type of treatment as it only grows like a sativa leaning hybrid. the effect of the resin and early dried flower is very Stoney and strong. I'm expecting interesting things out of it seeing how different the aroma is compare for curing flowers

Hi my friend if you intend using it soon a mason jar is ok, but if you want to age it then vac sealed is important to keep the aging happening.
Once air can be absorbed it stops curing keeping it sealed helps the curing/aging process I'm no scientist so I dont know why but 30 years experience with cobs tells me it will stop dead at the point it is at now.
If you like this point thats ok but if your not sure, why not put half in a jar and reseal the other half to age and make an informed decision when you compare the two finished products.
You will never know which suites you until you try it. Seems like a heaven sent opportunity to me. I'm always experimenting, and getting feed back from other cobbers helps us all grow.

Maple_Flail

Thank you again for the feedback, Tangwena , I very much appreciate these kind words.

Late last night I decided to Chop the cob down into 4 parts, the plant was very fresh for this cob, so as my fingers basically told me. there was an odd damp dryness to it.

upon cutting open, I find that the drying appears like smoke rings on finely smoked meat. very thinly on the outside. with a very dense and damp interior (much more than just what I would consider the core). I did not feel all that confidante that the fermentation would stop if I vacuum sealed at this moisture level. So I jar'd the cob in the smallest mason jar i have overnight so there was a proper air gap to do what people use the jar to do, re-equalize moisture before curing. I've been checking it frequently, basking in its aromas. I will be sealing 2 or 3 parts at some point today and a save a small piece for initial sampling.

20210329_090959.jpg

20210329_091253.jpg

now my thoughts are moving towards prepping for storage. what are some of the variables to consider for this, since they are vac sealed I do not believe R.H. of the environment will effect them too much, obviously sunlight is a poor idea, what are the suggested temp ranges for storage? is the a pro/con for Chilled storage vs room temp storage?

Yes, Much experimentation is abound. I did end up doing a second cob, however I am not as confidante with that one. the plant was drier than expected, so the weight target was not hit. It did not sweat as soon as the initial cob. so intrinsically my second cob from the same material will be vastly different IMHO. I'm using it more as a guide tool to shore up my "if this then that logic" regarding this process. Since the second cob so far hasn't gotten that bloom and its due date to open and dry has been pushed til tomorrow (i'm assuming that is when the cob will have similar density to the current cob when i unsealed it to dry) as that is the only quantifiable similarity i can use to gauge the process

Tangwena

Veteran
Hi Maple Flail to my eyes it looks like a very nice result so far dont worry about the center being moister than the outside once vac sealed it will spread the moisture equally throughout the cob.
I just dry the surface weekly and then reseal for another five days or so and then repeat.
Each time you reseal it it will equalize the moisture while sealed.
The best temps seem to be 25 to 30c for storage any higher and fermentation continues.
Once you get the look, texture and aroma you like best to dry it more fully to keep all those variables in the range you prefer before using it or resealing it for aging.
The aging if sealed is where the cobs get their unique character the secret is getting the drying to the right level. you would be surprised how little moisture you need if its vacuum sealed.
I have never measured the moisture level myself I go by touch and smell but if you did do the experimentation and record your results the information would be gold.
I see a time when master curers with this knowledge will be in demand and individual curing techniques along with private strains or varieties could make for very unique and sort after products.
It was that way in Africa and thats why the technique was kept private by those with the best results and local areas became famous for their special skills in this art.

BigBlack

i'm stoaked

those cobs are just beautiful.
what strain/s did you use for that?

funkyhorse

G'day Tangwena, I hope you dont mind, I have a question

Why right after fermenting in the yoghourt maker, you open the brick/cob and dry the outside and then reseal it?
I am understanding the hot fermentation process as a kind of fermenting accelerator so you could leave it as is for a week without the need to open and dry the outside?
Have you tried doing it both ways, drying it after yoghourt maker and without drying? If yes, was there any difference on the final results?

Thank you very much and have a nice day

Tangwena

Veteran
G'day Tangwena, I hope you dont mind, I have a question

Why right after fermenting in the yoghourt maker, you open the brick/cob and dry the outside and then reseal it?
I am understanding the hot fermentation process as a kind of fermenting accelerator so you could leave it as is for a week without the need to open and dry the outside?
Have you tried doing it both ways, drying it after yoghourt maker and without drying? If yes, was there any difference on the final results?

Thank you very much and have a nice day

Hi my friend I hope all is well in your world.
The reason I dry them after sweating is I use quite moist buds, with drier buds its not so needed but the buds I use produce a lot of perspiration.
If I leave the excess water inside it can sometimes lead to decomposition of the buds instead of fermenting they can get a foul odor and foul taste.
If the buds are drier to begin with then there is no need to open and dry the cobs as you correctly pointed out

With the natural sweat and fermentation as in your technique the sweat is less dramatic and slower. This can be a good thing as it retains more taste and aroma.
The yogurt maker can accelerate the fermentation quite dramatically so needs to be managed especially the sweating.
I have found you can manage the perspiration quite well by mopping up the excess water and manipulating the temps at which the cure is done.

Both methods work very well and give good results although they are slightly different which is good as variety is the spice of life and i like them all.
As I stated previously I had noticed at least 6 different cure results in South East Africa where I lived at that time.
The Yogurt maker method produces one of the my favorite cures.

You have found that banana tree bark gives another cure one that was found in Northern Malawi, Northern Mozambique and North East Zimbabwe bordering Mozambique and was one of my favorites.
There are others and with a bit of experimentation with the main parameters we will find them I have no doubt.
The main thing is the type of buds used then the moisture content and of course the way you bring about the fermentation whether slow medium or fast as far as I have been able to ascertain.
Of course I am going on my memory of the look, smell, texture and effect and reverse engineering them based on our collective experiences as members of the cob club, of which you are a member my friend thanks to your insights and understanding of our beloved plant.
There are a few of us pioneers around and make no mistake we are making ground breaking discoveries together and sharing them freely which in this world today is something of a novelty in itself.
But just look how far we have come together all happy and no dog in a manger syndrome.

TPFTFW

Veteran
I’m really excited to make some sour diesel cobs
I’ve almost read the entirety of thus thread.

so most insta pots have a yogurt setting
and if yours doesn’t (like mine) then the sous vide mode will also work.

i already have sushi mats

the question is tho, you guys are giving this 2oz estimate per cob for moist herb correct?

you want stems to bend, not snap. And it should burn in a joint but not stay lit.

I’ll come back with updates and what not.

also I see some cobs on here with lots of stems in them, and others not so much.
is there anything detrimental to removing large stems from buds and then rolling it?

Tangwena

Veteran
I’m really excited to make some sour diesel cobs
I’ve almost read the entirety of thus thread.

so most insta pots have a yogurt setting
and if yours doesn’t (like mine) then the sous vide mode will also work.

i already have sushi mats

the question is tho, you guys are giving this 2oz estimate per cob for moist herb correct?

you want stems to bend, not snap. And it should burn in a joint but not stay lit.

I’ll come back with updates and what not.

also I see some cobs on here with lots of stems in them, and others not so much.
is there anything detrimental to removing large stems from buds and then rolling it?

Good on you my friend firstly for managing to read the whole thread its getting quite long. The sous vide will work just fine the yogurt makers are mostly set at 40c or thereabouts as its the optimum temps for them, but I have friends who use other methods and both higher and lower temps and report good results.
2oz is a good size and works great as you need a good body to the cob to achieve a good cure but more is ok.
Taking out the stalks makes for a better finished product thats for sure. I am just slack and dont mind a few stalks, sugar leaves and seeds in my cobs as I chew them not smoke them I want everything in my meal ha ha.
The main reason is I'm lazy its a lot easier to just put the whole lot in and once its cured it seems to all meld together anyway. Some friends point out that you get the whole plant experience and that seems to work fine for me.
I also like to cure big colas whole, main stalk and all sealed in a vacuum bag. They get flattened and come out looking like a piece of beef jerky perfect for chewing or cutting up to smoke.
The cob shape is just traditional Malawi style curing, blocks, bricks in fact any shape works just fine.

lowridersa

set at 40c or thereabouts as its the optimum temps for them,

We made a several cobs a few years ago. We rolled the homegrown into cob leaves and let them cure on a hot zinc roof during summer in South Africa. The cob after a few weeks became solid as a rock and used to break pieces off and use a grate it down. It was lovely to smoke and chew on. Thank you for sharing all this info Tangwena

Homemade Cob

15370023_1324669150910595_3253743660461431320_o.jpg

Traditional Malawi Cob
13533080_1157379487639563_5396467262181919792_n.jpg

Tangwena

Veteran
We made a several cobs a few years ago. We rolled the homegrown into cob leaves and let them cure on a hot zinc roof during summer in South Africa. The cob after a few weeks became solid as a rock and used to break pieces off and use a grate it down. It was lovely to smoke and chew on. Thank you for sharing all this info Tangwena

Homemade Cob

Traditional Malawi Cob

Hi my friend thanks for the message but I was unable to send you my reply as for some reason a message came up saying you either did not allow any reply or some other technical issue.
I am still finding my way around this new site so it might have been my problem I dont know.
But thanks for the message anyway.
Your cob looks great wish I could say the same for the seed laden rubbish in the second pic typical tourist stuff easy to find if you dont know where to look in Malawi unfortunately.

Tangwena

Veteran
Some back ground on myself.
I have personally never seen cobs under manure but I have heard people talk about it but I'm not sure about its truth.
I lived in Ndola in Zambia, Limbe in Malawi and Harare in Zimbabwe in the 10 years I spent in
Africa in the 1970's onward.
All those locations had cobs of varying styles and cures for sale.
There was a great variety of different styles if you took the time to search which I did.
The majority was fast cured low grade for a quick turn over and not worth a cent in my book.
It was very hard to find the real deal high quality high grade as every man and his dog was desperate to make money being very poor farmers.
It was easy for them to grow pot even not knowing how to properly cure it they could make extra money.

It took me a lot of time and effort to find the real deal old school people who grew and cured it the right way, most of the masses never saw the good stuff.
You needed to have very good contacts and only the elite smokers with good connections ever saw the real deal.
Hence the amount of people who have never seen the real deal even in those countries where it is made it is reserved for the rich and powerful people with influence and a few lucky individuals in the know.

I doubt much ever made it to SA, unless you were very highly connected you only ever saw the tourist cobs.
I had contacts in the colored mixed race community who had feet in both worlds white and black and had access to amazing cobs that I never saw anywhere else and have not seen since.
I was lucky to go to a trade school and a lot of the young guys in my class had older brothers and fathers and uncles who were deep into the cannabis trade in
East Africa.
Without their guidance I would never have experienced the cobs I did, as they were just not available to anyone else.
I used to get a lot of disbelief from people who have never seen or experienced the really good cobs and all I say is just because someone has never seen the
Zambezi river with their own eyes does not mean it doesn't exist. Its the same with good cobs.
Lucky now some members on this and other forums are in the know and seeking the real authentic elite cures that are near impossible to find any more in the mother country unless you know the right people of course.