What's new

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

RED 1

That looks very nice it should mature nicely.
I would reseal it and store in a warm place 25 to 30c for 3 months and then check it out.
They cook nicely over that time, its when they start to mature that you get the real highs starting.
Thanks T.:)
Do not drink,or,take any chemicals(for the last few years)
Active life and growing weed
Stiff when it matters :), rest of the time high, relaxed and will make a few cobs to have and bring out on special occasions for my friends to try
Have a question.With temps in the 35/40C would a sealed cob ferment under direct sunlight?

Tangwena

Veteran
Thanks T.:)
Do not drink,or,take any chemicals(for the last few years)
Active life and growing weed
Stiff when it matters :), rest of the time high, relaxed and will make a few cobs to have and bring out on special occasions for my friends to try
Have a question.With temps in the 35/40C would a sealed cob ferment under direct sunlight?
Most definetly probably very quickly.
A car parked in the sun all day is a quick way to ferment them put them out of sun light under a seat and check them regularly as the temps can get quite high.
Its quite easy to make a heat box using a heat mat for germinating seeds.
I just use a cheap chinese yogurt maker cost about $40.

G

Awesome info, I'm going to have a go at doing this. Best information I've found on the topic. Thanks

wutwut

Veteran
winner@420giveaway
after 24 hours in a vac bag it looks ok. now it's time to let it rest at over cfl lamp for 7 days. i am excited for this method. i hope to get smooth smoke. sadly it's mostly indica because i heard this is made for sativas. my very first cob was not very good because stuff was too dry but now it works i can see it by colour.

OZZ_

Veteran
Hey Tangwena, Ive read through this thread a few times in the past, and now when I am skimming through it, it seems there’s been some updates to your method? When I click on the link in your sig it takes me to a single post with pics of a Panama cob, but no instructions or otherwise about the most updated cob technique. Also, my page settings are different than yours, this entire thread only has 204 pages so going to page “212” isn’t applicable. Can you tell me which post # is page 212 for you? It depends on the user settings, I think I have mine set to display a very high post per page so I have less total pages than you do when viewing the thread. If that makes any sense.

I’d like to try and do some cobbing on my next harvest. ;)

OZZ_

Veteran
I do have some panama that is right at 3 months cure in the jar, RH in the jar has been steady between 60-65%, maybe the first week around 67% until I got it stabilized down a bit and ever since its been between 60-65%. Can I still cob it, or maybe there’s no point now that the bud has already been jar cured. Curing on top of a cure doesn’t quite make sense does it?? LOL

Tangwena

Veteran
Hi Ozz great that your thinking of trying this cure it takes a bit of practice but its an art worth learning.
There is a link at the bottom of the reply that should take you to the page in question.
There are no hard and fast rules as each bud is different in density you have to allow for that with experience it gets easy.
I know a lot of people who make amazing cures using this technique and each person has their own signature style like any art form.

Firstly you need freshly harvested buds dried for between 2 to 4 days depending on bud density.
Then you need to start them fermenting IE vacuum seal and gently heat 38 to 45c for between 12 and 24 hours.

This should start them sweating which leads to fermentation.
After 24 hrs I like to remove the moisture sweated out by opening the vac bag and drying the buds or cobs until they feel dry to the touch.
Then reseal to cure at 30 to 35c for a week then open and touch dry again reseal for another week.
Do this for 4 weeks then dry and reseal to age at least 3 months to a year is good.
At any time during the 4 week cure stage if the fermented terpy aroma is sweet and fruity to your liking dry fully and reseal to age for 3 months.
Its a lot of sniffing the bags and using your eyes to see the Autumn color changes of a good cure thats the art of it some of my friends just pull off fantastic smelling, looking and tasting cures without seeming to try they are true artists in the curing of pot.
If you post pics as you do it I can guide you as best I can.

You cant ruin the buds if you fail you may loose the tastes your familiar with but it will still get you high it does not ruin the THC.
It will change your life if you get it right its another level of using cannabis, especially if you give up smoking and just chew the fermented weed as I do its another world.

OZZ_

Veteran
especially if you give up smoking and just chew the fermented weed as I do its another world.

^^^^ this right there. I’ve seen you talk about this and it’s super interesting to me.

Thanks for the overview, so it sounds like the original method you posted is still in play then. That seems to be what I remember from reading through your process a few times so it doesn’t seem things have changed. Good to know and thanks for the overview!

I’ll do some more reading then, im not flipping my current killer A5H Until next week so I’ve got some time before my next harvest.

Excellent advice and I’ll definitely give a portion of my next harvest to trying out the technique. :biggrin:

Thanks again!

40degsouth

In a nutshell, promised l wouldn’t chime in before l’d read the whole thread but I’m not far off.
I’m a cobber.
Black Dog, one day dry, one day sweat, deep cacow chocolate Ovaletene smells.
Next day.
Opened it up .Asian croc pot...cinnamon, nutmeg, star anease.
I’m off my face already.
Promised myself l wouldn’t read another 100 pages today.....and l didn’t...only 70.
Dang Tang!!!

Tangwena

Veteran
In a nutshell, promised l wouldn’t chime in before l’d read the whole thread but I’m not far off.
I’m a cobber.
Black Dog, one day dry, one day sweat, deep cacow chocolate Ovaletene smells.
Next day.
Opened it up .Asian croc pot...cinnamon, nutmeg, star anease.
I’m off my face already.
Promised myself l wouldn’t read another 100 pages today.....and l didn’t...only 70.
Dang Tang!!!
Your in for a trip sensation on those aromas my friend.
Sniff regularly tie it in with what you see happening at all the different stages.
Then know every grow, every strain, every single plant will behave differently its mind blowing the scope for creative curing my friend.
Its a whole new world once you get started AND then theres manipulation of the cure itself.
Have fun the world just got new again brother.

Tangwena

Veteran
^^^^ this right there. I’ve seen you talk about this and it’s super interesting to me.

Thanks for the overview, so it sounds like the original method you posted is still in play then. That seems to be what I remember from reading through your process a few times so it doesn’t seem things have changed. Good to know and thanks for the overview!

I’ll do some more reading then, im not flipping my current killer A5H Until next week so I’ve got some time before my next harvest.

Excellent advice and I’ll definitely give a portion of my next harvest to trying out the technique. :biggrin:

Thanks again!
This is only one way of doing it once you experience this evolution in your technique you will see the other options you have at every step of the way.
This is only one of 6 types of cob cure I am aware of from Central Africa I am still trying to produce the others.

40degsouth

Hi everyone, l hope you’re all well.
Opened the cobb today after a week cure and it smelt exactly like molasses.
I started another one with one day dry, 12hr sweat and opened it up to dry; the room was filled with a smell exactly like a Christmas cake.
I did cheat with this one a bit and added a desert spoon of kief.
I’ve experimented a bit with a few others but I’ll update when I’ve got a bit more time.
Cheers,

wutwut

Veteran
winner@420giveaway
uno grande cob y una pequena cob
muy bien =)

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Tangwena

Veteran
Hi everyone, l hope you’re all well.
Opened the cobb today after a week cure and it smelt exactly like molasses.
I started another one with one day dry, 12hr sweat and opened it up to dry; the room was filled with a smell exactly like a Christmas cake.
I did cheat with this one a bit and added a desert spoon of kief.
I’ve experimented a bit with a few others but I’ll update when I’ve got a bit more time.
Cheers,
Thanks for the report my friend from your description sounds like you sweated them for too long a time try shorter sweats maybe 6 hours and dryer going into the sweat you will get vastly different aromas.

By varying the different stages hugely different outcomes can be obtained.
Keep us posted some pics would be very cool as well.

wutwut

Veteran
winner@420giveaway
Nice cure going on there from the colors it should age nicely once sealed they can be kept for years and just improve like fine wine.

i just tried to make tea from it just for relaxing without caffeine. i am not seeking any effects now but if this works it's okay then. taste is actually familiar. 0.42gr in 90c water for 4:20 minutes. colour somewherenot light yellowing. i can't smell that much but little. also chewd very small piece for testing. not very good taste when aten but in drink i like it :)

40degsouth

Thanks Tang,
Sweated one overnight for six hours, as you suggested, after a two day dry. It smells exactly like powdered milk.
I don’t think l dried the initial ones out enough after the sweat because they still appear to be sweating so I’m drying them out a bit more. Still dark chocolate overtones.
Cheers,

40degsouth

After an hour or two of drying the powdered milk has given way to sweet berry terps, as described with shorter sweats. This is closer to the mother plant.

Tangwena

Veteran
After an hour or two of drying the powdered milk has given way to sweet berry terps, as described with shorter sweats. This is closer to the mother plant.
Yes those other smells are from over fermenting or as you observed a little too wet going in.
The secret is getting the drying right initially and then a sympathetic sweating thats the best way to describe it, with practice it will make sense.
But you cant destroy the effects just the flavor and terps so nothing lost.
Also the trippiest effects I have found come from the darker over fermented cobs so its a trade off against terps, taste and highs.