What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

F

Fermented

It seems to get rid of the edginess and replace it with as much bliss as you can handle

Exactly! Cobs aren't stronger as such, they just have a better high..more substantia. When I smoke bud now I sometimes become a little scattered in my thoughts and my brain is a little more blurred than I prefer.

The high from cobs are way better, I get as high as phuck while still being an intelligent adult as opposed to getting high from bud when I become a teenager...the more I smoke cobs, the less I like to smoke bud.

the high from bud is like slamming beers, the high from cob is like drinking a really good wine.

Tangwena

Veteran
It seems to get rid of the edginess and replace it with as much bliss as you can handle

Exactly! Cobs aren't stronger as such, they just have a better high..more substantia. When I smoke bud now I sometimes become a little scattered in my thoughts and my brain is a little more blurred than I prefer.

The high from cobs are way better, I get as high as phuck while still being an intelligent adult as opposed to getting high from bud when I become a teenager...the more I smoke cobs, the less I like to smoke bud.

the high from bud is like slamming beers, the high from cob is like drinking a really good wine.
I agree there is nothing wrong with well cured dried buds but for smooth smoking on the lungs and a deeper more refined experience an aged well cured piece of cob has that something special that jar cured can never have.
I think its like course moon shine compared to an aged bourbon

Mick

Veteran
I agree there is nothing wrong with well cured dried buds but for smooth smoking on the lungs and a deeper more refined experience an aged well cured piece of cob has that something special that jar cured can never have.
I think its like course moon shine compared to an aged bourbon

Hey guys, I think it's the difference between a giggle and rapture :biggrin:

Miasa Mura

Awesome thread! Can’t wait to give this a try with the Swazi Gold I’m growing.

Has anyone ever gotten their cob tested for potency, mold or terpenes?

After looking into the fermentation of Pu-erh tea, aspergillus niger is the primary agent of fermentation. I’m curious if this is the same agent in the fermentation of cannabis. Any insights are greatly appreciated!

Tangwena

Veteran
A few people have had there cobs tested none had mold the THC ect was only marginally increased the changes are in the maturity of the resins terps and oils it doesn't boost the amount of THC.

It does change the way it effects you if the cure is done correctly it takes a bit of practice, although some members have been getting it right from day one.

Most people in tune with their plants transition very quickly to this method. Its really quite simple and a lot of fun after the joy of growing the plant.

I grew Swazi from CBG and the effects were great curing it this way great weed for concentrating on work even the dullest chores became very interesting and fun to do.

Miasa Mura

A few people have had there cobs tested none had mold the THC ect was only marginally increased the changes are in the maturity of the resins terps and oils it doesn't boost the amount of THC.

It does change the way it effects you if the cure is done correctly it takes a bit of practice, although some members have been getting it right from day one.

Most people in tune with their plants transition very quickly to this method. Its really quite simple and a lot of fun after the joy of growing the plant.

I grew Swazi from CBG and the effects were great curing it this way great weed for concentrating on work even the dullest chores became very interesting and fun to do.

Hey Tangwena!

Thank you for the feedback! I’m really excited about this method. Can’t wait to share it with all my grower friends and see if I can get people around here doing some cobbing :)

I’m a big fan on focused, trippy ganja! Glad to hear that the Malawi Cob method enhances these qualities.

I’ll post my cob cure once it’s around that time for the Swazi Gold.

Thanks again!

H

hard rain

I recently found a small cob of oldtimers purple haze that I must have lost a year ago. Ate a small piece this morning and am still really high about 5 hours later.
:woohoo:
Also growing ace Ethiopian which I am keen to cob when they are ready.

Tangwena

Veteran
I recently found a small cob of oldtimers purple haze that I must have lost a year ago. Ate a small piece this morning and am still really high about 5 hours later.
:woohoo:
Also growing ace Ethiopian which I am keen to cob when they are ready.
They def increase in potency after 3 months.
I have Malawi x Ethiopian and it blows my mind its so strong everyone who tries it cant get enough.
I am going to grow it again soon the aroma of the flowers is so delicate and floral the cobs are menthol unreal.
It takes you by surprise as it smokes mild tastes mild menthol then kicks your ass so bad you dont know if your coming or going ha ha.

bugman52

Bug Scissor Hand
Veteran
Not all is lost with a bit mold of the exterior, run a flame over the exterior of the cob, enough to kill the mold but not enough to darken, brown or burn the cob, then wrap and reseal. As Tangwena said vacuum seal them or you can wrap/roll very tightly in two x 12" x 12" pieces of Saran wrap. I find that really densely/tightly rolled/wrapped cobs work best when wrapped in kitchen sealing wrap. You need to wrap them as tight as possible so there is a minimum of air.

To make really dense, heavy cobs I re-roll them 3 or so times in parchment paper used for baking when I first make them, roll them on a flat surface Each time you roll them up, use something cylindrical with a square cut end to push in each end so the cob will end up with square cut ends (I just prefer them like this) Each time the cob is re-rolled it will become a little tighter, firmer, thinner and denser. I used to use string, but now just wrap in parchment and twist the ends, these are so dense that they hold their form without the need for string.

When I put the cobs on 40C heat for 18~ 24 hours, I wrap the parchment rolled cobs in the kitchen wrap, really tightly then into two separate rolled up sealed sandwich bags as you do not want them to dry out during the heat stage (which can happen if not vacuum sealed).

Then the cobs are opened and air dried, re-wrapped tightly in two layers of cling wrap . Tighter the wrap the better to remove as much air as possible to get as close as you can to a vacuumed cob. Stretch the wrap and pull it tightly and fold the ends in, it should be pulled almost tight enough to break the wrap. Open every day or 2 and air dry if cold damp, then reseal to allow it to become a cob, but never let the cob 'dry" out at any time for the first 30 ~ 40 days or fermentation won't occur or cease happening.

Happy cobbing!
ill be taking a couple plants down in a few days, & ill try this method my next try, im sure ill get it righ at aome point .
thanks for all the info /help

CannaRed

Cannabinerd

Hey Tang, are these results posted somewhere?
A while back, they discovered a new terpene, so far only found in hash and named it hashishene. (Spelling?) I think it was from degredation of existing terpene(s), caused by pressing of trichomes, and then oxidation.

I wonder if fermentation would cause the same degredation to create hashishene? Maybe even faster.

Tangwena

Veteran
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php
Hi CannaRed there have been a few MadJag did one specifically for mold and the tester was surprised that he found zero he said it was unusual not to find traces.

They can def smell like sweet hashish when cured certain ways. It is probably some thing similar even if noe exactly the same.
Different cures can bring out quite different effects and aromas thats for sure.

Miasa Mura

Hey Tang, are these results posted somewhere?
A while back, they discovered a new terpene, so far only found in hash and named it hashishene. (Spelling?) I think it was from degredation of existing terpene(s), caused by pressing of trichomes, and then oxidation.

I wonder if fermentation would cause the same degredation to create hashishene? Maybe even faster.

Hey CannaRed!
I think that the heat would help in the breakdown. the oxidation of the terpene beta-myrcene (one of the most abundant terpenes in cannabis) is converted into Hashiene. It would be cool when labs started to test for this terpene.

https://hightimes.com/strains/hashishene-the-new-terpene-on-the-block/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/25454145/

Miasa Mura

View Image View Image View Image View Image View Image Hi CannaRed there have been a few MadJag did one specifically for mold and the tester was surprised that he found zero he said it was unusual not to find traces.

They can def smell like sweet hashish when cured certain ways. It is probably some thing similar even if noe exactly the same.
Different cures can bring out quite different effects and aromas thats for sure.

Hey Tangwena!
Thanks for sharing the lab results as well as those enticing pictures!:)

S

Sertaiz

on those tests was one cob and the other not cob, same plant,age, etc? which was which? thanks, those look drastically different!!!

S

Sertaiz

thats interesting, the thca went up but the delta 9 went down a little. thanks for the tests!!!

Tangwena

Veteran
thats interesting, the thca went up but the delta 9 went down a little. thanks for the tests!!!
Dont forget thats one persons cure of one strain of one cob result.

I can guarantee if you took half a dozen different peoples results from the same strain even every persons results would be different.

I think the tests dont cover all the changes and I'm sure miss the real suspects altogether.

Sunshineinabag

I really want to try cob cured herbs.....one guy in mass tried and ruined the herbs......man oh man I'm frustrated in Vermont damnit! If anything just to say that I had tried them.......id be willing to trade a pretty hefty amount of grade a Amber maple syrup to the right scenario ...cause where i am handshakes and your word still mean something!

Tangwena

Veteran
Panama x Honduras cob

Panama x Honduras cob

This is the cob of Panama x Honduras that I harvested 7 days ago the pic was taken at 6 days from harvest.
The cob was dried and resealed for curing a further week.
The smell after sweating was green grass as in lawn.
The smell after 4 days at warm room temps is sweet sativa hashish a lovely fermented smell that stinks up the whole house when opened.
This smell will only get stronger as the cure progresses I will inspect weekly and dry to stop further curing once the aroma has peaked in a week or two.
First pic is fresh 4 days ago after hanging for 2 days.
Second pic is the fermented cob ready for aging after 4 days.

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php