What's new

Malawi Regular seeds outdoor in Autumn till Winter, can i make seeds ?

Hi breederz, i need ur help

I got some MALAWI regular seeds and my goal is to make seeds from them

I plan to do it OUTDOOR, latitude 40* North, warm winter with following parameters :

OCTOBER
average Temperatures : 18 Celsius degrees
average Humidity : 80%
average Hours of Sun : 11

NOVEMBER
avgTemp : 16 C
avgHum : 85%
avgHrsSun : 10

DECEMBER
avgTemp : 14 C
avgHum : 90%
avgHrsSun : 9

JANUARY
avgTemp : 12/10 C
avgHum : 85/90%
avgHrsSun : 9:30

FEBRUARY
avgTemp : 10 C
avgHum : 85%
avgHrsSun : 10:30

With Such Numbers, do you think i can reach my goal and produce nice viable seeds ?

Should i add some more hour of lights (Mh-Hps) ?

Any suggestions for best results?

Thx soo much

Last edited:

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
It's pushing it kind of close. What I would do is only pollinate one or two of the bottom branches and allow the rest of the plant to be seedless. That way if the plant takes a little longer you can harvest the top of the plant and let the bottom part seed longer. There's enough time to make seed and cooler temps are a good thing for seed production. Yes, you can make your own MALAWI regular seed. Don't waste any time, Get cracking friend. 😎

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
When the seed rattles in the seed cover. After about 40 days pick one off and remove the cover and take a look. When they are shiny brown to your liking harvest the plant. When you hang the seeded branches up to dry, make sure you put a newspaper under the plant to catch any seed that drops. Making your own seed is smart. . 😎

When the seed rattles in the seed cover. After about 40 days pick one off and remove the cover and take a look. When they are shiny brown to your liking harvest the plant. When you hang the seeded branches up to dry, make sure you put a newspaper under the plant to catch any seed that drops. Making your own seed is smart. . 😎
U mean 40 days after impollination ? Or 40 after the beginning of flowering stage ?

If u can suggest some good reads about it i appreciate too

Thx again

Last edited:
I have no growing set up.

Letting them outdoor next October, i suppose (plz tell me if i am wrong) they will start to flowering after 2-3 weeks (because of 10/11 hrs of SunLight). So in December i should harvest seeds.

I have no growing set up.

Letting them outdoor next October, i suppose (plz tell me if i am wrong) they will start to flowering after 2-3 weeks (because of 10/11 hrs of SunLight). So in December i should harvest seeds.
Or not ?

It is my first Malawi and my first Pollination

So i just suppose the timing schedule

Who knows more ?

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Start your 12/12 right away under lights and when you put them outdoors they will have already been triggered and start flowering. If they are already in the ground outdoor then you just got to let Mother Nature take care of it. 😎

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Have you ever grown a crop in those conditions before? Research says around 10C plants start to not be able to produce much energy from the sun, and that, toghether with high RH might open you to mold in the buds. Then there is stress that might come from the temp and rh variations and extremes. I mean you can try, but if you can do it in better weather, I would chose that. Now you could do some fast autos for the bud..

Have you ever grown a crop in those conditions before? Research says around 10C plants start to not be able to produce much energy from the sun, and that, toghether with high RH might open you to mold in the buds. Then there is stress that might come from the temp and rh variations and extremes. I mean you can try, but if you can do it in better weather, I would chose that. Now you could do some fast autos for the bud..
No, i did not grow in such temperatures that’s why i was asking here

If i start now i can end in November when will be 14/16 celsius degrees that should be fine (is it right?)

Do you think it is not enough Sun ? Or too much humidity to make seeds from Malawi?

I appreciate any suggetions or good reads where i can learn about Open Pollination

Thx

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
It's just that you will be making seeds on plants that struggle, cause of the temps and RH. If the plant stands up to temp and molds, seeds should be fine as well. 15 is doable, anyway, better than 10 by much.

Latest posts

Latest posts