What's new

Malawi feminized

Claude Hopper

Old Skool Rulz
Veteran
Look closer at the calyxes. They should be covered.

My sole Malawi isn't heavily loaded with trichs on the leaves but I have assumed they'll be on the calyx. I'll check at bedtime

Texicwaste666

Look closer at the calyxes. They should be covered.

My sole Malawi isn't heavily loaded with trichs on the leaves but I have assumed they'll be on the calyx. I'll check at bedtime

I did check them, they have some but very small and hard to see. Very little activity on the leaves. How old is yours now? My temps are fine, no leaf burn under the lights, green stems and leaves praying upward, big heavy dense buds, so I will wait and see, i think they will be ok. i still have a month to go.

Tangwena

Veteran
Its not the size my friend its whats in it. wait until you try the cured buds I am sure you will not have anything to worry about. Its not like a hash plant they have big balls of resin but its somewhat lacking in trips to the stars.

Claude Hopper

Old Skool Rulz
Veteran
I checked tonight. On my Malawi, seeded May 4, the buds are about 3 weeks in. My camera has turned to crap, but the silver areas are trich coated calyxes. They are tiny but tightly packed.

It looks about like my Panama haze - really early into the flowering process. I don't keep track of days flowering. I just go by how the flowers look before harvest.

Here's a bad pic. There'll be plenty of more visible trichs soon enough

picture.php

Texicwaste666

I checked tonight. On my Malawi, seeded May 4, the buds are about 3 weeks in. My camera has turned to crap, but the silver areas are trich coated calyxes. They are tiny but tightly packed.

It looks about like my Panama haze - really early into the flowering process. I don't keep track of days flowering. I just go by how the flowers look before harvest.

Here's a bad pic. There'll be plenty of more visible trichs soon enough

View Image
Hey Claude, I have that too, i was talking about the giant trichs I see on some of the other posts, but I have no fear. It will be great.

Texicwaste666

pics with lights out, day 54

pics with lights out, day 54

it's funny that most of the big growth of buds came after the overfert. They continue to get bigger buds
a lot of weed.jpg

all good buds.jpg

big buds.jpg

buds top to bottom.jpg

buried in buds.jpg

Last edited:

Texicwaste666

more pics

more pics

some took some pretty bad leaf damage from when I had the conversion wrong, lucky they are such badass plants, next grow will be without the missteps that caused some damage this time
chunky.jpg

green Malawi.jpg

this was my favorite plant but it looks bad with the leaf damage, but it is ok
leaf damage but still going.jpg

the leaves still work, they just look like shit
little shoots that filled out.jpg

Malwi buds.jpg

Last edited:

Texicwaste666

more pics

more pics

I am expecting this grow to go about 90 days, I may pull a little early to get the full psychedelic effect, right when the trichs are 90% cloudy, 10% clear. Should I let them go longer?
nice big buds.jpg

nice color.jpg

nice.jpg

this one got smacked when they got overfed, but it is ok now
sitting on the buds.jpg

this is the top, they are full all the way down
these took damage but still growing.jpg

Last edited:

Tangwena

Veteran
If you want the full range of effects leave them as long as possible, but thats just my taste I like to trip out and loose my mind.
Early picked are just plain boring to me.
Dont get sucked in to harvesting early for a supposedly racier high there isn't one.
Just my opinion of course take it however you prefer as its your high after all.

Claude Hopper

Old Skool Rulz
Veteran
I just read back through the threadto see when you planted these, looks like about 2 weeks before me. The standard Malawi I have running isn't as vigorous as your fems. The buds/ leaves look the same, but mine is slower. Makes me wonder if the lines used in femming have been kept separate long enough that they display a degree of heterosis.

In any case, the difference has me itching to get a few more of these fems.

Texicwaste666

I just read back through the threadto see when you planted these, looks like about 2 weeks before me. The standard Malawi I have running isn't as vigorous as your fems. The buds/ leaves look the same, but mine is slower. Makes me wonder if the lines used in femming have been kept separate long enough that they display a degree of heterosis.

I concur. It seems like these are fast for a landrace, and from looking at them I would presume they are trying to finish. Maybe dubi will chime in and lend some advice. Just looking I say three to four weeks tops, but i need the experienced Malawi farmers here to let me know if I should go longer. With the loupe the trichs look cloudy already.

Texicwaste666

If you want the full range of effects leave them as long as possible, but thats just my taste I like to trip out and loose my mind.
Early picked are just plain boring to me.
Dont get sucked in to harvesting early for a supposedly racier high there isn't one.
Just my opinion of course take it however you prefer as its your high after all.

I have no idea what the full range of effects are, can you tell me about that? I have never smoked Malawi before and am maybe being too impatient? From the pics, how long do you think they have left in em? And, do they look right for this stage? That goes for you to OT.

Tangwena

Veteran
I can only tell you what I would do and thats stop feeding them or slowly reduce the feeding to zero or they will keep growing. looking at how green they are mostly white pistils they have 4 to 6 weeks easily if you keep feeding them they will just keep going.
The shade leaves need to fade and the pistils get red forget the resin color they have a long way to go yet.
They are not fast flowering indica hybrids they need time forget the weeks they have been flowering and go by the appearance of the buds.
The high will go from pathetic and boring to deep tripped out and overpowering in every way. If you get it right its a two hit debilitating deep trip inside your head like you will have never experienced before, or at least thats my take on it.
Patience will be the key and then you will have some pot that will last you a decade and be able to push as many buttons as you want just by metering the dose.
You are so close dont rush at the last jump and fall short of what its capable of being.
This stuff will be the key to your mind my friend.

Texicwaste666

I can only tell you what I would do and thats stop feeding them or slowly reduce the feeding to zero or they will keep growing. looking at how green they are mostly white pistils they have 4 to 6 weeks easily if you keep feeding them they will just keep going.
The shade leaves need to fade and the pistils get red forget the resin color they have a long way to go yet.
They are not fast flowering indica hybrids they need time forget the weeks they have been flowering and go by the appearance of the buds.
The high will go from pathetic and boring to deep tripped out and overpowering in every way. If you get it right its a two hit debilitating deep trip inside your head like you will have never experienced before, or at least thats my take on it.
Patience will be the key and then you will have some pot that will last you a decade and be able to push as many buttons as you want just by metering the dose.
You are so close dont rush at the last jump and fall short of what its capable of being.
This stuff will be the key to your mind my friend.
in the words of OT "Tangwena you're such a philosopher." I will take that good advice and go with it. "This stuff will be the key to your mind my friend", has me drooling. Remember though, there was a flash on the pics, so the bright green phosphorescent look is that, but you know the stuff so I will listen to you. I will give them little food from now on, and let em go. Hi ho. Cheers.

Texicwaste666

dubi told me the fems have the same genetic background as the standards. It can all change real fast, remember when I thought mine were a disaster? They just blow up, and they are all different, sometimes on the same plant some buds chunky and some like little Christmas trees. These plants are definitely an experience. But this does show the fems kick ass.

deepwaterdude

They look phenomenal, like you said 80 more days should do it:biggrin: Yeah, Tangwena has saved me from harvest fever more than once:tiphat: Forget philosophy, here's to the stinky fruit of experience;)

Claude Hopper

Old Skool Rulz
Veteran
"Harvest fever."

LOL. It does almost need an AA like buddy system to stem the fever.

I don't get it so much when the jars are still full

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
Texicwaste666, Need some more pics brother. Eager to see them putting on weight. Peace