What's new

Malawi asks former boxer to be cannabis ambassador

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
Malawi has asked boxing star Mike Tyson to become the official ambassador for the country's cannabis crop.

Agriculture Minister Lobin Low sent a letter to Tyson inviting him to take up the role, and said legalisation in Malawi had created new opportunities.

Tyson, a former world heavyweight champion, is an entrepreneur and has invested in a cannabis farm in the US.

But the move has been criticised by some as the former boxer was imprisoned for sex offences in the 1990s.

"Malawi may not go it alone as the industry is complex [and requires] collaboration. I would therefore like to appoint you, Mr Mike Tyson, as Malawi's Cannabis Branch ambassador," Mr Lowe wrote.

The United States Cannabis Association was facilitating the deal with Tyson, the agriculture ministry said.

The head of its Malawi branch, Wezi Ngalamila, told the BBC the former boxer had accepted the invitation and plans were under way for him to visit the country.

"Tyson will be working with us," she said.

Malawi legalised the growing and processing of cannabis for medicinal use last year, but stopped short of legalising it for personal use.

Source: BBC

Chi13

ICMag Donor
Yes, this is great. I had not idea Malawi had legalised. Tyson seems to have mellowed, maybe due to cannabis.
Indeed the world is changing. I hope I see legalisation in my country during my lifetime. :gday:

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
I'm afraid that the local varieties will disappeare.Legalization is good for the people, but nowadays means that foreign companies will take over and those companies arent for the preserve of the local varieties, which made Malawi famous in the Cannabis scene.

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
I'm afraid that the local varieties will disappeare.Legalization is good for the people, but nowadays means that foreign companies will take over and those companies arent for the preserve of the local varieties, which made Malawi famous in the Cannabis scene.

Just like everywhere else in the world, the landraces have to compete with imported genetics that grow faster with better yield. When all is said and done, it is just a crop to a farmer.

Cvh

Supermod
I agree, it's also the reason why I'm currently collecting landraces. At the moment several are still available but I expect that in the future when legalization is happening everywhere that the landraces will become even more rare if not extinct in situ.

I can only recommend people to purchase packs now so that not only landraces can live on in private collections but also to support the people who are now selling those seeds. Every pack sold is a reason for landrace seedmakers to keep doing what they're doing and hopefully also go hunt for more varieties to add to their catalogue.

BadTicket

ØG T®ipL3 ØG³
Veteran
Malawi asks former boxer to be cannabis ambassador.
Former boxer asks how much are you willing to pay me for that?

Looks like the check cleared, because apparently he accepted.

I don´t know the details. But looks like another legalization deal that´s been going around in Africa. Personal use is still illegal if you enjoy it, medical might be doable with permits and thing. Growing is legal with permits and you need to pay taxes. And it´s usually set up so that only companies can do it on a scale that is profitable. In Zimbabwe for example the license to grow legally costs more than most people make in a lifetime, which is not that much by 1st word standards. Just another way for the fucked up government to make money and keep the people in check. Malawi is not as bad, but hiring a guy like Tyson; they are looking for international exposure and PR for the business. Which yea, kinda weird. Even if he has mellowed down quite a bit and his past crimes / weird moments swept under the rug for the most part. Tyson as a spokesperson.. Make a list of people who´s voice doesn´t fit their look and Tyson has to be pretty high on that list :)

Then again if Tyson says something to you, you better listen, or he´ll chew your god damn ears off ya head.
Or fuck you till you love him, like he said he would. Shouted even..

So yea, Malawi coulda done better. But also worse, like if they hired Bill Cosby, or Kevin Spacey, or Snoop Dogg.

On a positive note; I think Nintendo dropped the trademark for Mike Tyson´s Punch Out a long time ago. Pick that up and use it as a strain name.

Anyways, said this before: Governments and lawmakers who are legalizing weed now that it´s getting popular, and people congratulating them for it. I dono mang. If it´s not legalizing it for everyone to use, just for people with means to grow and sell bulk weed and say it´s medical, and for the government to collect taxes and make money on selling permits and the small guy who just wants to grow his own. Or maybe sell a small bag so he can afford some butter on his bread, especially in poor countries like many African nations are, but that is still illegal and that small guy could still go to jail for it, or has to bribe cops and/or other government officials to look away.. Well that´s not really progress, it just sounds like it is. Legalize something illegal so you can tax and limit the thing is still illegal if you cant afford the permits or qualify or get approved by the man. That´s fucking bullshit, and why legalization fails in many cases.

Decriminalize it. But no one wont, cause then they cant regulate stuff, or limit and control it. And then they cant tax it. Or sell permits, and collect fees.

So yea, if you have one of those "LEGALIZE IT" shirts on. Consider burning it, or try smoking it if it´s made outta hemp.

Freakin´ hippies..

;)

Tangwena

Veteran
Just like alcohol how many make their own?
Its all in the effects for me if it does the job I'm onto it.
I would rather buy it ready cured if its the real deal and effects me the way I am looking for.
Just grow it for fun like any other plant in my garden.
The rules of the government have never stopped me getting what I want so let them do their worst I'm still getting the good gear anyway ha ha.

heirloomganja

photo2090768.jpg