What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Malawi, almost ready to harvest

wswise

So here is the Malawi that I put into bloom on November 1, and it's almost there. Seeing about 10% brown trichs, and she has been on straight water for the last 7 days. going to really let her ripen, I am looking for at least 40% brown before I chop. I've been posting pics in other threads, so I thought it would be smart to finally start one all for her. It's going to be a big harvest.

Attachments

• leaning.jpg
    leaning.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 17
  • withbottle.jpg
    withbottle.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 16
  • closeup.jpg
    closeup.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 15

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Lovely Malawi wswise :D Looks like a very nice New Malawi Killer pheno: dense big flowers full of huge trichomes and moderate flowering time, really nice pheno, hope you took clones!

I would let her ripe for 10-14 days more in order to get its overpowering qualities and best resin content. Thanks a lot for share it :)

wswise

Well the timing worked out that I had to trim on Friday night. Business travel coming up made it so she needed to come down. Overall I would say there were about 30% brown trichs, and the sugar leaves were like 90%. Trimmed the whole plant down before chopping the base, then hung the entire plant inside a wardrobe cardboard box. The box has a 4" booster exhaust with a humidity controller turning it on at 55% and off at 53%. The main cola is so large I don't want to worry about any mold, so I was thinking this would be a good range for now. Might raise that up after a bit. It was very hard to trim this one, but thankfully the plant did not have a ton of leaves. All of the stems, including the main cola, were pointing at the ground when the hangers came off.

While I was trimming, I did knock off a bud that was on the lowest stem. Its been sitting on a shelf next to where I trimmed for about the last 40 hours, so I grabbed it and threw it in the bong. I'm drifting into outer space. This stuff is very strong.

wswise

Got in a 7 day dry, now everything is de-stemmed and in jars. Humidity is drifting from 65% to 61%, perfect cure zone. The smell is amazing every time I open the jars. I can't wait to try this after a few weeks of cure.

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Congrats on the harvest wswise! :)

I'm glad to know you are satisfied with the aromas of your Malawi and with her strength in the early smoking tests. Please, keep us updated with a smoke report after the curing process!

wswise

I'm back with the smoke report! I stole this form from another thread and changed it a bit.

Variety/Cultivar name: Malawi (feminized)
Breeder: Ace Seeds
Lineage if known: Landrace
============================== ====================
PHYSICAL EXAMINATION
Visual Appeal: 6
Rate the visual appeal of the buds from 1-10 unappealing-excellent.
comment: I did not trim them very well, due to the new drying process, so visually there are a lot of sugar leaves. A little work and they could be further cleaned up, but I don't sell so I don't care much.
Visible Trichomes: 9
Rate the visible trichome content from 1-10 none-totally covered.
comment: golden trichs. Very fuzzy stuff, even after a few months in jars.
Bud density: 7
Rate the bud density from 1-10 airy-dense.
comment: Lots of fluffish buds from lower stems, main cola was more dense, up to a few buds in the 9 range, but only a few. overall a 7
Aroma: 8.5
Rate the aroma from 1-10 repulsive-delightful. Use freshly crumbled bud for best results.
comment: Very stong aroma, lots of lemon, the "spice" flavor on the finish is hardly present to the nose, but it is there. There is the slightest hint of ammonia behind that. It had an almost stale, but not stale smell to it in the start of the cure. Kinda of like how clothes smell if they have stored away for a few months, not a bad small. that scent went away after about 45 days of cure.
THE SMOKE TEST
Use numbers 1-10 on descriptors that apply to the taste where a one indicates a subtle presence and a nine indicates a very pronounced presence.
Earthy 7
Pepper 3
Pine 2
Cedar 3
Citrus 5
Spice 4
Lemon 6
Taste: 7
Rate your impression of the taste from 1-10 unpleasant-delicious.
Comment: Tastes wild but sweet. Very eathy, and very lemon, with pepper and spice. hints of other flavors vary with bud density.
State of dryness: 5
Rate the dryness of the bud from 1-10 wet-dry where 5 is ideal.
Smokeability: 7
Rate the smoke ability of the sample from 1-10 harsh-smooth.
Comment: Burns white, but is still a little harsh. I like smoking it in a pipe, so I can take small hits. The bong gets used as well, but pipe prefered because of this.
Effect Onset: 8
Rate how quickly the effect hit from 1-10 immediate-major creeper.
Comment: about a 5-10 minute wait for full effect.
Sativa influence: 9
Rate the sativa influence detected from 0-10 none-extreme Sativa
Comment: I get the shakes a little when smoking only this strain. I have it right now, its like a too much coffee buzz. A little edgy, like I need to go do something to keep active. I clean a lot when I'm only smoking this strain. Very engaing, makes me motor mouth as well.
Indica influence 0
Rate the indica influence detected from 0-10 none-extreme. Indica
Potency: 9.5
Rate the potency of the sample from 0-10 none-devastating.
I am noticably high when smoking this. It really does a number on me, even after smoking it regularly for the last 90 days. This is not to be taken lightly, it's damn strong.
Duration 3-5 hours
Indicate the number of hours the effects lasted.
Comment: You can keep smoking this and get higher and higher. the more you smoke at first, the longer it lasts.
Tolerance build up: 2
Rate how quickly tolerance builds from 0-10 none-rapid.
Comments: Not tolerence per se, but an understanding of how it affects me. Right now I know I have smoked too much, and I'm edgy. That is 2 small bowls over 90 minutes, maybe .3 grams. After 90 days I usually need to smoke more of other strains, but not this one.
Overall satisfaction 10
Rate your overall satisfaction from 1-10 poor-Holy Grail.
Comment: Best I have ever grown. It really is that good. I think I lucked out with the pheno. It is going to take forever to use it up.
Overall comments: Wow, just like wow man. This really is the stuff of legends. Took a long time to finish, took a long time to cure, and now it is getting me lit for a long future. It will smell through a plastic bag instantly, and should always be stored in glass. I keep bovedas in the jar, and then pull out what I need for the next few days to get a little more dry, as it smoke a little better this way. The monster on this, the thing that really does me in, is mixing it with other strains. A Black Cherry Cola I smoked with it left me floating for an hour. Pineapple Chunk with it makes me stupid, like I run into another room and forget why I went in there. Lemon Remedy put me to sleep with it. Crazy things happen in this mixing, and I like it. The strongest weed I've ever grown, and the strongest sativa I have ever smoked. Plan everything with this plant. Plan on it taking 16 weeks to flower. Plan on it outgrowing its space, even though this pheno did not. Make sure you take the growing as seriously as I did and I hope you get rewarded as I have. Truely amazing stuff.

Attachments

• 20170529_174435.jpg
    20170529_174435.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 10
  • 20170529_174203.jpg
    20170529_174203.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 20170529_174150.jpg
    20170529_174150.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 10

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
wswise, Great smoke report! Thank you. Peace

Last edited:

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Thanks for the detailed smoke report wswise :huggg:

I'm glad to hear that you rate our Malawi among the best you have grown! :yes: Wish you enjoy her for a long time!

Texicwaste666

So here is the Malawi that I put into bloom on November 1, and it's almost there. Seeing about 10% brown trichs, and she has been on straight water for the last 7 days. going to really let her ripen, I am looking for at least 40% brown before I chop. I've been posting pics in other threads, so I thought it would be smart to finally start one all for her. It's going to be a big harvest.
Nice plant. Hope mine come out that nice. i'm on week 10, and i am forcing it in. so I plan to run it 14 weeks if I can, but if i haveto go longer i will. Did you keep feeding them all the way through or when did you cut the pk down to almost nothing? I giving mine a 1-5-4 npk mix, at .6 ec for the next few weeks, then drop to water for the last two or three weeks. I'm in coco so I only have to feed every other watering or so if that. I have been clipping some and testing it since last week, I can't wait for the final product. I doubt I will go into 20% amber trichs, some people like that couch lock, i don't. But, we shall see, maybe you need the amber to keep you level.

wswise

Nice plant. Hope mine come out that nice. i'm on week 10, and i am forcing it in. so I plan to run it 14 weeks if I can, but if i haveto go longer i will. Did you keep feeding them all the way through or when did you cut the pk down to almost nothing? I giving mine a 1-5-4 npk mix, at .6 ec for the next few weeks, then drop to water for the last two or three weeks. I'm in coco so I only have to feed every other watering or so if that. I have been clipping some and testing it since last week, I can't wait for the final product. I doubt I will go into 20% amber trichs, some people like that couch lock, i don't. But, we shall see, maybe you need the amber to keep you level.

I use H&G nutes in coco. My final 17 or so days were at 1ml A+B, .6ml drip clean and 3.7ml bloomXL per gallon. I only use P/K boosters for 10 days and it stopped a week before I got to this point. so right around the end of week 12 i cut the P/K and slowly lowered nutes. My plant was very light on the nutes all the way through and the P/K was burning it so be careful if they are touchy.

Don't worry about couchlock with this smoke. I've never had any problems with it, to the contrary, I can't stop doing stuff when I smoke it. I gave some to a friend in Portland I was visiting and he texted me at 3am on a work night asking when he was going to fall asleep!

Texicwaste666

I use H&G nutes in coco. My final 17 or so days were at 1ml A+B, .6ml drip clean and 3.7ml bloomXL per gallon. I only use P/K boosters for 10 days and it stopped a week before I got to this point. so right around the end of week 12 i cut the P/K and slowly lowered nutes. My plant was very light on the nutes all the way through and the P/K was burning it so be careful if they are touchy.

Don't worry about couchlock with this smoke. I've never had any problems with it, to the contrary, I can't stop doing stuff when I smoke it. I gave some to a friend in Portland I was visiting and he texted me at 3am on a work night asking when he was going to fall asleep!

what about from week 10 through week 12, what ec were you at. My leaves are fading since I cut back the ec to .6, shouldn't I feed them a little higher for the next few weeks, or just keep it low and let the leaves go yellow? i was thinking about 1.0 for the next few weeks to pack on some more weight, or should I just cut it now on through at .6 ec?

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi Knop,

Malawi's yield is usually very high when it is properly grown, as all the Malawi's grow diaries from different growers demonstrate in this room.

Please, check the strain description as most of your questions can be answered by just reading our official strain descriptions. Thanks.