What's new

Malawi 12/12 from start,what to expect?

I suck at identifying plants.

3females. Only back right was male.

I thing im going to have a real problem with space.

I was thinking to repot to 5liter pots. is that too much for 3plants in that space?

How long they stretch really fast? How long i can manipulate the stems(supercrop) without doing harm to flower? Any other advise how i can manage with 3females?

Oh and the pic.day 20 flower.

-PAW

tjo

life gardener
Veteran
I thing im going to have a real problem with space.

I was thinking to repot to 5liter pots. is that too much for 3plants in that space?

How long they stretch really fast? How long i can manipulate the stems(supercrop) without doing harm to flower? Any other advise how i can manage with 3females?

Oh and the pic.day 20 flower.

View Image

-PAW

yes thats for sure...my malawi stretch even now after 55 days
flower.im trying to keep her under control but she is going like
a grazy...i didnt want to make a tree! if you look at the first post in my thread, you will see a screen..my option for this plant was to make scrog, not bushy tree.any way i suggest you to scrog your plants for maximum light efficiency and for keep the height low as you can.. supercrop works well with strain,any time any saw her,
i pinch some stems.:biggrin: i hope that helps
good luck

Thanks tjo!

Your plant is beautiful monster!

I need to figure some sort of scrog for my plants.it can be quite diffigult to attach scrog anywhere. I also need to do some sort of safety cover for heater. Dont wanna burn the place. Fan needs its space also. Grow space will be FULL!

One option is to leave two females but i dont like that idea.

Need to do some thinking. Hard!! :p

-PAW

tjo

life gardener
Veteran
Thanks tjo!

Your plant is beautiful monster!

I need to figure some sort of scrog for my plants.it can be quite diffigult to attach scrog anywhere. I also need to do some sort of safety cover for heater. Dont wanna burn the place. Fan needs its space also. Grow space will be FULL!

One option is to leave two females but i dont like that idea.

Need to do some thinking. Hard!! :p

-PAW

thanks paw:biggrin:
if you can not attach sreen anywhere, you can do it, if you attach the screen from the roof,if not a strong pvc tape may help you to attach some wires and make some scrog.
and if you dont make transplant your plants fill the pots with more soil.:tiphat:

I was able to do some sort of scrog. Screen attached to walls in 3corners.

I think i can use it as a tool to control height. Just lift it up and put back down again so new growth stays under it. Not able to use it as regular scrog. Structure is too weak.

Update pics next week. Got my self a new pots. I think i fill them up to four liter. I need bigger pots than i have now. sometimes i cannot water them in few days so i need pots where they can survive that time. Last time i was gone for 4days and pots were quite dry,mayby 1more day. In future plants will be bigger and drink much more.

this projeckt is as hard as i thought,or harder :p

-PAW

Just got my first smell. Smells like carrot. Very fresh and clean!

Looking forward to get this done.

Few of the stems were quite bad shape from supercropping. Or atleast it look bad to my eye. Hopefully they recover.

PAW

Flower day 28

Repotted them in 4liter(1gal) pots. Lookd like they had used almost all nutes. Growth was stunted quite a lot. MH replaced with hps. (after the pics were taken ;) )

And the pics. At this point it looks that i might pull this of. Lets see how they react to new soil. Screen is very handy. Easy to control new shoots.

PAW

Need some help. Yesterday when i repotted i notice that roots were not that massive. plants have been in 2liter pots 8weeks so i think they should be bigger. I notice that but didnt pay attention to it. i didnt examine root but they seemd bit yellowish. I started to wonder could there be root rot?

I have water them too much at the beginning and few times i have been away 3-4days and i have given them plenty of water. Pots are my old hempy pots and there is drainage hole 5cm(2inch) from bottom. When ihave been away longer i have filled the pots that there is 5cm water on bottom.

Should i take plants out and examine them for root rot? Any suggestion? Or am i just panicing over nothing..

PAW

tjo

life gardener
Veteran
Need some help. Yesterday when i repotted i notice that roots were not that massive. plants have been in 2liter pots 8weeks so i think they should be bigger. I notice that but didnt pay attention to it. i didnt examine root but they seemd bit yellowish. I started to wonder could there be root rot?

I have water them too much at the beginning and few times i have been away 3-4days and i have given them plenty of water. Pots are my old hempy pots and there is drainage hole 5cm(2inch) from bottom. When ihave been away longer i have filled the pots that there is 5cm water on bottom.

Should i take plants out and examine them for root rot? Any suggestion? Or am i just panicing over nothing..

PAW

you are panicing over nothing like you said.dont worry and
be carefull with the watering.your girls looks ok and the screen
is something you gonna need..stay cool and be patience.:tiphat:

Thanks tjo!

Panicing is dangerous art :D

There was one ram horn,and roots were yellowish.. 1+1 is root rot!! crop ruined AAAAAARRRRGGDDHHH :D

btw roots were quite similar to tree roots that are on surface,barky. when soil dryes out it becames quite hard and volume dimishes. Maybe next time i should add perlite or something like that.

PAW

Flower day 38.

Plants have started to use new soil. Growth is faster now. Did some scropping and put all new growth under the screen.

screen before

And after the handling

Indica pheno have been easy,no scropping. (topped once?) sorry for picture is sideways.

Short sativa pheno

And the one iam looking forward to finish in terms of high and yeild. Tall sativa pheno.

Its ok if they stretch bit more but i hope that it would stop in 2-3weeks. Lights are 11.5/12.5.

PAW

There seems to be bit too much nitrogen but what can you do.

Maybe i should also chech water ph. I use tap water. Ph around 8. Soil usually balances it quite nicely. There is some signs on leaves but it could be from nitrogen. Soil ec is 0.3 and its seedling soil.

Not much growth,recovering from scropping.

PAW

Flowering day 55

I think they need nutes soon.

Tall sativa

Stange mini indica. So small compared to 2of those

Mini indica

small sativa. Maybe not so small after all.

Streching is pretty much done and they start to do flowers.

small sativa seems bit slower than tall sativa. Maybe it has bit narrow leaves also.

PAW

tjo

life gardener
Veteran
you sould add some fertilizer in your plant..not much because
malawi is fragile with the nutes.the best part of the show now begins
and malawi has a long buds show:biggrin::woohoo:
good work with the scrog imo

Thanks.

I add nutes next time i water. I dont have access to ro water. My water ec is .25 so there is not much room for nutes.ec 0.4 max if i remember correctly.

Sativa phenos have more need,taller more than short one. Indica is quite fine.

Looking forward the rest of the budding. Always at this point of flowering im bit pessimist"not going to have any yeild" :D

any idea how much nitrogen they need during flower? My npk profile is 4-8-7. Ok?

PAW

using RO water could also explain weak root growth... if u dont have access to making ur own RO water, then u hav a couple choices. go to the grocery store and buy a couple gallons of the Purified Drinking water (its purified with reverse osmosis), go online and buy a ZeroWater tabletop purifier (ther real cheap ~$40 and come with a TDS tester to prove that the water is at 000 TDS), or actively aerate the water with an air stone and air pump for an hour before watering it in.

what week of flowering are u in? i usually cut my nitrogen completely by the end of the 1st half of flowering (if its 9 week flower, ill cut it at week 4, if its 14 weeks then i cut it around week 6 or 7).

i would always be balancing the PH as well before u water, the soil may be at 6.5 but when u add 8.0 water, it wont stay the same

Thanks for the tips Cannabliss420

Options buying the RO water or airstone sounds great. Never heard using airstone before. Any additional info about that? It add oxygen but how it affects ec?

8weeks at the moment. npk 4-8-7 is only one i have. floranova bloom.

Nutes have its own ph buffer. but now i have used plain water and beeing lazy. Vinegar should do the job? No buffer but less work to soil even out ph. Must stop beeing lazy!

PAW

Edit: did some testing. When taking cold water from tap ec is bit lower 0.22. Regular is 0.27 and hot is 0.38. If ec doest rise with temperature i think iam fine with 0.22

Last edited:
Found water with ec 0.13. Gave nutes 0.39.

Nice to see buds starts to forming.

Smell on sativa phenos is .. weird, its hard to pinpoint what is it. Brings memory from childhood,some kind of nature/wood smell. Smell is serious,almost like warning smell. If you know what i mean.

Indica is still carrot. It start to show some dead pistils. Fast one. Couple of week and we know more.

PAW

Love how they started to flower! Liked nutes and exploded to flower! Really nice to watch!

Keep giving them nutes every other watering.cant wait how they end up,there is 5more weeks to go.(or more)

PAW