What's new

Making Seeds

Twist

I have used a makeup brush from my wife, also a q-tip all works well. I removed the female from the flower room to pollinate. good luck

Wayzer

Sorry to inform you koles that it most certainly did not work out through ur spray tech.... if u did read about it u have been very misinformed. I hope u reserved some extra pollen for storage so that u can pursue ur experiment... Also do ur best not to get the pollen wet!!!! very important.

Most important thing is harvesting your pollen for controlled pollinations, like u are interested in doing, while not contaminating your entire garden... The suggestion of spraying the part of ur plants that u dont want pollinated prior to dusting them was a great one..

I have been doing alot of this lately.... i have just pollinated one plant with 2 types of pollen. I selected 2 of the 8 colas, labelled them, removed the plant from the growroom and far as i can from it. then i cover all plant not getting pollinated with a bag, then i make love to the cola being dusted with a make-up brush (like twist suggested) VERY lightly dabbed into ur pollen container (which u keep the lid at all times when not in use) then hold the brush over the sites that u want to pollinate, and what i like to do is not actually jab the brush into the calyxes, but lightly tap the handle of the brush above the hairs of the sites.... U can watch the pollen rain down! If u dont cover the plant, it may not be the best idea. i also like to blow on them. i let that settle for a few hours or sometimes overnight, then spray the entire plant down with some nice plain water and call it day!

Hope this helps u on ur next adventure!
some pics of my most recent pollen collections.
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1252.jpg
    IMG_1252.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1250.jpg
    IMG_1250.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1253.jpg
    IMG_1253.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1255.jpg
    IMG_1255.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1254.jpg
    IMG_1254.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 12

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
I work outdoors and this is NOT the "science lab" way to do it, but it works for me...
I aways move the boys to a spot at least a mile away, downwind (prevailing winds) from where the girls are..
When it's time, I put a baggie around some male flowers, just shake it to collect pollen in the bag. Doesn't take much, just some yellow powder inside the bag. I take it to the girl I want to pollenate on a totally windless day and very carefully open the baggie beside a few lower buds on the girl I want to impregnate, and put the baggie around the bud and shake...Yeah, sometime I end up with a seed or two on a bud I didn't try to pollenate, but overall, it you're careful, it works...and you end up with plenty of seeds on a few selected buds..And the rest of the girl is seedless.

koles[cz]

Hey, thanks for all the info, appreciated :)

You were right, guys! Although I harvested small number of seeds (3-20) on each plant, this spraying method is not worth it. May this be an example for anyone willing to try so.

Next time I wanna make seeds I'll go "the dry way", lol

RoadRash

A thin white paper bag is a better idea. I use white paper that breaths to get rid of moisture.
-SamS

I have used plastic bags myself, and I always wondered about how the rising humidity inside the bag affected the airborne pollen and the pollination process.

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
G`day K

Hate to be the one .
But I told you so . lol .

I have used cotton tips , paint brushes and a feather to brush on pollen .
The other day I wanted to make some Golden Tiger F2 and pollinate a cpl of O Haze / Sk .
I had no tools to do the job with .

So I just placed my hand under the male flowers that were isolated in a building and shook pollen onto the palm of my hand . Closed it into a fist . Moved carefully to the plants outdoors, opened my fist, gripped a lower branch and stroked my palm against the flowers . Quickly closed my hand again and vamoosed .

Two weeks later the selected branches are lightly seeded . The rest of the plant is basically seedless .

More than one way to skin a cat . he he .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Budley Doright

Veteran
My favorite way to make a few seeds.....if you have pollen on hand....

is to pollinate only the preflowers...... this will give you a few seeds per plant.....

but none .....or few in the buds....

I would turn off fans at lights out.....and use a small brush...pollen and some white flour to dillute the pollen.....

the next day when lights came on...... spray down the plants with a spray bottle and water.....

the water kills any pollen that may be lingering......

when the plants are dry.....turn on your fans ........

D

Drek

I just cut off some male flowers after they open, turn the fan off and gently tap the male flowers over some lower buds, leaving the main colas free.
You'll see the pollen fall all over the bud. Be careful you don't shake it all over your other buds.

I refer to these lower branches as my 'seed banks'. :)