What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Making Oil with ETHYL ALCOHOL

zymos

Jammin'!
Veteran
Absolute ethanol SHOULDN'T contain any benzene. Yes, benzene is used in the process, but the whole point of 100% alcohol is that it is pure.
You can actually buy USP grade (ie in tended for consumption) 200 proof ethanol and according to the data sheet the benzene is tested at <1 ppm.

Kind of a waste of money just for the extra 5% alcohol, IMO, but to imply that all 200 proof ethanol is contaminated with benzene is incorrect...

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
How much is 200 proof ?

200 proof anhydrous ethanol costs about $70 a liter from the local scientific supply and 200 proof does not necessarily mean more than 99.5% purity.

It also costs more than 95.5% azeotropic Everclear, even after paying liquor taxes.

GW

sh1wn

So it is ok to use 190 just like iso?I found out how much my tumbler is leaving behind and i want to use the 190 to capture it.Will it dry up and be hard if i use 190?
Thanks

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So it is ok to use 190 just like iso?I found out how much my tumbler is leaving behind and i want to use the 190 to capture it.Will it dry up and be hard if i use 190?
Thanks

It depends a lot on what you are extracting from, but I get solid extractions using 190 proof if I use QWISO techniques.

Hot extraction picks up too much plant wax and vegetable oil and is typically a gooey, sticky mess, but works well in oral tinctures.

Our test panels have uniformly noticed the difference in taste and effect between oil from Isopropyl and Ethanol. Both good, but slightly different.

GW

sh1wn

cool i'll have to give it a shot(haha).Thanks GW i miss seeing your experiments on the state site.
Shawn

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
cool i'll have to give it a shot(haha).Thanks GW i miss seeing your experiments on the state site.
Shawn

You're welcome!

I managed to get myself kicked off that site. Pleased that you found your way here!

JD