What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Making Honey Oil Like A Pro, by Master Thai

darthvapor

hasmasta thanks for the info. I just made some oil. Its not as good as yours but good enough to blow my brains out. Its made form trim not buds which Is why I think it didnt turn out like yours. But hey at least I can enjoy oil even if its just ok. thanks again

Greens

Sam_Skunkman said:
Pure THC is clear and has no taste or smell.
Red oil is because the THC is starting to be degraded.
Damage is from the sun growing the plants, from the sun drying the plants, from age (old buds or resin), or from excess heat in storage or making the oil. O2 also will make THC turn red.
The color of the oil is not directly related to potency, although red oil is almost always better then black or green oil.
When oil is made from resin it is red, when made from herbal Cannabis it can be more green or black.
If none of us have seen "your new method" I would be surprised, but what the hell, anything is possible. Post it.
-SamS

Hi Sam the Skunkman,

I've found that just doing a simple butane extraction using nice buds, you get a very nice honey coloured oil that is much better than any red, green, or black oil I've tried. After making the oil, I whip it up and it turns very crystaline and is light coloured. This stuff is often called "budder". If you don't whip it, it turns into a very hard, glass-like substance like the pics from HMK. Either way, it's super potent and very tasty. I find the butane extracts the good stuff like THC and terpenes and leaves the junk behind for the most part.

I know you prefer your pure melty dry kif (same with me actually), but have you ever tried/seen oil like this?

Later,

Greens

Last edited:
G

Yesterday I finally used some small buds of fresh and ripe Sour Diesel. The trichs were full and milky and falling off the buds. The oil is so clear and amber and I purged it with simple warm water from the tap and then a heating pad for 2 hours.
I did not whip it this time and it turned out just like hMKs nice amber rock candy. I really like this consistency over the gooey stuff i was getting from either leaf or too fast of a purge. Warm water, then after the heating pad and a quick freezing, then back on the hot pad for half an hour. I can literally mold it in my fingers without it sticking. It is golden yellow . Great to get the final product more dialed in, and buds vs leaf makes a HUGE difference.

That acid thing sounds crazy, can it get any stronger Master Thai? What are the real benefits, I still don't get it, sorry..
Peace

Last edited:

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Greens,
Yes I have seen it, I do not know what causes it, but several oil smokers I know love it. How stable is it? Can it be frozen? What is it like old?
My only concern with oil is are all of the solvents removed? When we tested a few butane oils we found butane in small amounts with a GC. I do not want to smoke any solvents at all.
I think part of the reason that Budder is better is because a given weight has more surface area then the same weight of oil.
It is the same reason I like resin powder better then pressed resin. Resin in powder form has several times the surface area of the same resin weight pressed. It makes for a better smoke.
-SamS

G

Budder didn't seem as tastey to me. I like them both, but the pure rock candy form is very cool because it is not sticky and slimy when well purged. I don't even need to keep it in the freezer like the leaf/trim oil.

Greens

Yeah, I'm not sure if I think budder is better than the glass honey. Personally, I find the budder has more flavour and smell than the glass honey, but I've heard others say the opposite. It's probably different for different strains, depending on which terpenes the strain has.

I can't remember who it was, but someone did a GC test using several butane extracts and none of them had any trace butane except for the one where they used a crappy kind of butane.

Budder is fairly stable, but it will darken over time, especially when it's not put into a sealed container. I find the taste and potency are best within the first week of making it, while the glass honey seems to retain it longer. However, within that first week, I'd say the budder has the edge. It's never a problem, because I toke it all up before a week is up and then make a new run. I use a titanium vape like HMK and I find that the buddered honey vapes more smoothly. Sometimes I hear a little sizzle with the glass honey and I wonder what that is. If you make a bunch, you can seal it in a container and put it in the freezer and it will last a long time. If you leave it out in the open air for a long time, it begins to darken, it loses flavour and it loses potency faster than the glass honey.

With hash, I am the same way. I powder up my bubblehash whenever it is possible (sometimes it all sticks together and it's just impossible). It's much easier to hit with a vaporizer that way and if I decide to smoke, I get much bigger hits that way. However, I find that the taste of full-melt dry kif is the best and the high is so strong too from that stuff. My favorite is melty kif comes from my outdoor guerilla gold buds.

Greens

G

Sounds delicious - greens. I agree with you about the different varieties and strains terpenes etc. I'd say hands down, from what I have tasted, that trainwreck is best for this type of extraction, I had some that tasted like lemon drops. I've had oil sizzle, but it seemed to happen when it was not well purged, like a quick half hour purge in water. I had better results 1-2 hours on the heating pad after the water bath. the latest batch just disappears before my eyes!!
mmmmm that guerilla melt dry sift sounds soo tastey. My issue with dry sift is that I have been getting gnarly allergies from the trichs/leafy dust that flies around when I'm shaking/sifting the shit (DIY screens). ANy idea on how to seal it in a container so the "powder/dust/trichs/leaf" doesn't fly around, I have major allergies to that shit for some crazy reason. No matter what,every time I get sneezing fits for hours on end, but only when I'm making it, not smoking per se...

Chiefsmokingbud

Slap-A-Ho tribe
Veteran
The few times i tried budder, i didnot like it as much as BHO. The best way i can describe the flavor diff is the same as bubble compared to dry sift as far as not as much flavor.

Greens

^^^I disagree and feel its the other way around...

My Lemon Swiss budder has such a pungent lemon skunky smell and taste, it is unbelievable. I can definetely taste the lemon stronger when I turn it to budder and it becomes more odouriferous, without a doubt. I've had several people confirm this when we compared it to the glass lemon swiss honey. However, like I said before, I think some strains become tastier when you turn it to budder and others do not...

Greens

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
however, hard oil form keeps its terpenes much longer than budder form, budder smells really good, well i mean smells stronger than the oil it was made from. strong evidence of the evaporation of the terpenes. but i prefer oil for taste generally too. a lot of my oil budders up naturally, with a gentle purge.

N

newbieb

quick 4 questions

quick 4 questions

if i wanted to dip my buds in oil when should i do that? (i knopw nothing about oil). how nuch more potent would my weed be double potency?will the high be couchlock? and which straun should i use to make the oil?

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
in butane method some dip them when they have a dish of liquid butane and resin, pre evaporation.

it would be at least twice as strong.

if the buds are couchlock then the oil stone will be too.

use any strain to make oil.

G

I didn't know Marijuana produced so much negative karma.. maybe Its time for me to quit smoking :( or atleast stay away from oils.

G

Dude please tell me your not wearing a Mock Turtle Neck lol.. I quit... :off2:

Last edited:

Laughing Jim

Misturemike said:
never made it myself but here is the way to THC acetate!

Does anybody remember a product that came out in the early 70s called an Isomerizer? It did just what this expriment calls for. I had one. It came with Hydrochloric Acid which supposedly converted the cannabinols to Delta-9 THC. The heat source was a light-bulb. It was a cool looking piece of equipment. :rasta:

The final weed product ended up almost black.

Smoke was smoother, but I couldn't tell if it was that much better. :rasta:

Treatment with acid, according to my understanding, does not cause
isomerization of THC, but converts the cannabidiol to delta-9-THC. Since
cannabidiol represents a significant proportion of the cannabinoids in
extracted plant material, making this conversion can make a big
difference in the potency of the product
That's what my Isomerizer promised... :cuss:

Last edited: