What's new

Making Canna Salve

Janborrego

Premium user
420club
This is the base recipe I use

I make my infused oil with 2 ounces of bud not trim or shake. I tried it, and it does work sort of but it is not as strong and you have to reapply it more often. If you want good salve use bud.

This is the coconut oil I use. I decarb the 2 ounces in the insta pot for 45 minutes.
Then in the crock pot over night. 10 hrs and lowest setting. That will give you 3 - 32 ounce jars of infused oil. I keep one in the shelf and the others in the fridge until needed.

That is the base oil for all my edibles and salve.

The other changes I do not use EVOO(extra virgin olive oil as a carrier oil) Coconut oil is a carrier oil.

I added 2 ounces of Black caster oil. If you cant find Black caster oil use caster oil. It helps with inflammation and pain as well.

I also add Vit E oil a few tablespoons. It is good for the skin.

I also triple the wax.
It helps knock the greasy feel down. I was doubling it but it was still greasy.

Those are all the changes I have made.

Lavender essential oils do not cover up the scent of cannabis.
Lemon work good I just tried it. I didn’t think it did but the salve has a nice lemon scent.

Eucalyptus essential oils works too but then you smell like vicks.

Feel free to ask questions I will answer them I I can.

If you want vegan substitute soy wax with bees wax. It works fine. I have soy wax on hand so started with that. Plus my dons fam are vegans.
Still triple the wax.
IMG_5304.jpeg
IMG_5305.jpeg

Janborrego

Premium user
420club
I wanna do this after my next harvest with all of the lowers without drying. I wonder what kind of weed to oil ratio would be good for wet lower buds.
That I can’t answer. I have only used dried bud/ trim/shake. Bud makes the best version so that is what I use now. I did try shake trim and popcorn buds. It works, but not as well. You have to reapply it more often and it just doesn't relieve pain as well either. You do get some relief. But bud works best. This is what I have tried. Maybe your weed is stronger than mine as I only started growing in Summer 2020.

goingrey

I think the trim/popcorn could work but just have to use that much more of it (or that much less oil). Maybe I will try to get double the amount and assume 75% water content so that would be 80g instead of 10g, for example.

ilovegrowing

Hi @Janborrego

Thx that you share your recipe :) very nice of you!

May i ask for what exactly you use it for? As i understood its for painrelief and antiinflammation..
do you feel classic cannabis effects as well, getting ‚high‘ with applying the salve?

Thanks again

goingrey

Hi @Janborrego

May i ask for what exactly you use it for? As i understood its for painrelief and antiinflammation..
do you feel classic cannabis effects as well, getting ‚high‘ with applying the salve?

Thanks again
One thing it works for really well is clearing up zits, I have noticed. :D Well the salve I have now which admittedly is with a different recipe, 50/50 coconut oil / shea butter if I recall correctly.

You don't get high unless you eat it.

Janborrego

Premium user
420club
Hi @Janborrego

Thanks again
No and it does not go into your blood stream either. It works on pain, inflammation, psoriases, rashes, fungal infections, rashes, even skin cancer cells. The link I posted explains the whole process. How it is absorbed etc. I use it on my 87 year old father he says it works better than the opioids the Cancer Dr prescribes. Helps with neuropathy, and sciatica, and a lot of other things. Works great on leg and foot cramps too. Works in like 2-3 minutes. Deep tissue and muscle spasms as well.

Janborrego

Premium user
420club
One thing it works for really well is clearing up zits, I have noticed. :D Well the salve I have now which admittedly is with a different recipe, 50/50 coconut oil / shea butter if I recall correctly.

You don't get high unless you eat it.
I wouldnt eat it

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I wanna do this after my next harvest with all of the lowers without drying. I wonder what kind of weed to oil ratio would be good for wet lower buds.
BrassNwood said he recommends using dried flower cured for at least 60 days to have good effective infused coconut oil.

Wondering what ratio I should use for kief? Will help to calibrate/regulate the dosage better, but not sure what ratio to use.

May make a topical. Been using the infused oil in capsules as an edible.

Janborrego

Premium user
420club
I have only used dry decarbed weed. I tried using shake and trim but the salve was not as strong. It worked but not as good and you had to reapply it way more often. The bud kind works well and lasts several hours. Up to 4. Most of the time.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I like the idea of using kief so you know how much THC is in it, or at least can keep the dose the same each time. Wonder how much kief per 1.5 cups coconut oil?

For capsules we use 5 grams kief to 1 tablespoon coconut oil and 1 teaspoon soy lecithin.

Using 5 grams kief to 1 cup would dilute my mix to 1/16 rate.

goingrey

BrassNwood said he recommends using dried flower cured for at least 60 days to have good effective infused coconut oil.

Wondering what ratio I should use for kief? Will help to calibrate/regulate the dosage better, but not sure what ratio to use.

May make a topical. Been using the infused oil in capsules as an edible.

Dried and cured works well. But then you have to dry and cure (sit on weight)... I think the salve making process should decarb and make it effective, wonder if it's really worth drying and curing just for this alone.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
He was talking about effectiveness for edibles/capsules, but it may still be useful as a topical. Yeah it will need to be fully decarbed anyway, so it would still have active THC. There is a lot that goes on during curing we may not fully understand.

Janborrego

Premium user
420club
I have only used dry decarbed weed. I tried using shake and trim but the salve was not as strong. It worked but not as good and you had to reapply it way more often. The bud kind works well and lasts several hours. Up to 4. Most of the time.

Dried and cured works well. But then you have to dry and cure (sit on weight)... I think the salve making process should decarb and make it effective, wonder if it's really worth drying and curing just for this alone.
I don't know. You feel free to experiment. I like my salve the way it is so not tweaking the recipe anymore.

goingrey

So experiment I will. :D

Double boiler full of wet trim, dunno how much that weighs sorry. And I think half a bar or 125g of shea butter. Maybe I'll drop in a piece of beeswax later, and scissor around to get the weed smaller.

s.jpg

Initial thing noticed, can't just crumble it up or good luck with that anyway, big bonus for dry material right there.

Janborrego

Premium user
420club
So experiment I will. :D

Double boiler full of wet trim, dunno how much that weighs sorry. And I think half a bar or 125g of shea butter. Maybe I'll drop in a piece of beeswax later, and scissor around to get the weed smaller.

View attachment 19014142

Initial thing noticed, can't just crumble it up or good luck with that anyway, big bonus for dry material right there.
You making soap?

Latest posts

Latest posts