What's new

Making bubble with snow

I use snow now as well. It's pretty much around 6 months of the year here so it's pretty handy and makes for way better hash then ice IMO. It's a lot easier to maintain the water at that near freezing point too.

G

Guest3498

Waiting patiently for a storm. Been saving trim all year for the snow...

It's funny, I still have a very small amount of snow bubble from last year set aside. As you can see in the 1st page last winter it was very crumbly to start with, over the summer as it got hotter the hash actually melted at room temp. Looks more like oil than bubble. Translucent. Still bubbles nice :)

Last edited:
yes, dear sir, you have come upon the method to produce the finest quality bubble hash possible!

in 2003 i was learning to make bubble when i came across a post on snow hash. i was so excited to tell my skiing friends. the next am i woke up to a foot and a half of snow that stayed for 1 1/2 months. i turned 3 lbs of flowers to hash! yummmmm.

Adrift

Veteran
im forsure gonna give this a try!!!

anyone know how much powder one should use in a 5 gallon bucket????
2 gallons worth?
3 gallons worth?
ect?

thanks

G

Guest3498

yes, dear sir, you have come upon the method to produce the finest quality bubble hash possible!

Can honestly say that no one I know using ice has shown me better yet! I don't even make regular waterhash anymore I'd rather do other things with the trim. A definite plus to living in an area that gets lots of powder.

Adrift, probably about 2.5 gals of snow if I had to guess, maybe a bit more, I just eyeball it.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
i don't get why snow would make better bubble then ice? isn't it just a matter of using the right amount to get the right temp? i always thought about snow as a time saver, not really a quality increaser? have i been wrong to assume this? if so why, what's the logic behind snow being more effective?

G

Guest3498

I've made my best bubble using this method. Not saying it's not entirely possible to make equal bubble with ice and water, but I haven't, yet. It always falls just a little bit short. Not sure how I could improve my method with ice and water, I hand mix chilled water and don't over mix it.

The way I see it ice and water being vigorously mixed knocks the trichomes off, but also beats the trim up a bit. The trim pretty much gets pounded by ice cubes the whole time. Mixing with fluffy snow sort of slides them off the trim instead of bashing them off, a bit easier on the trim. It's more abrasive but also more gentle... Definitely not much of a time saver tbh. Since it's harder to mix I actually end up stirring longer than I usually do.

What do you think?

Would love to see some other people try this this winter and tell me what they think.

Last edited:

rasputin

The Mad Monk
Veteran
I'm not a hash expert but today I'll play one on the internet. Here's my take: it's a combo of the snow & leaving the bucket outside for an hour or two. Gonna get pretty cold doing that in the NE winters. Colder temps require less agitation for extraction. Less agitation, higher quality. Same reason people hand stir.

Ice/water becomes soupy, rougher agitation and more potential for contamination. The snow is like concrete, a real bitch to stir the first few minutes. But I think that's part of its charm, it acts more like a scraper against the trim instead of a wrecking ball.

Bring on the snow!

the reason is more scientific and straight forward.

snow has more surface area then ice, thus aiding the water in achieving hyper chill (colder then freezing) faster then regular ice. it also thaws faster and the water warms faster. the trichomes remain frozen (as an oil). while one continues to stir, the organic mater bends aiding in the removal of trichomes, clean of organics, whether flower or leaf. continue to stir for 10 minutes after foam appears (beginning of the forming of emulsion between water and oil). strain. that will be your best yield of pristine snow hash. process as normal.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
very interesting VADO....i meant time saver in terms of just shoveling some snow instead of mucking around with tons of ice from freezer. but yeah i see some logic to what your saying about the snow being a bit gentler. so do you add any water, or fill the whole bucket with snow only?

great answer eloquentsolution, makes sense, most interesting about the foam signifying the beginning of emulsion between water and oil.

G

Guest3498

the reason is more scientific and straight forward.

snow has more surface area then ice, thus aiding the water in achieving hyper chill (colder then freezing) faster then regular ice. it also thaws faster and the water warms faster. the trichomes remain frozen (as an oil). while one continues to stir, the organic mater bends aiding in the removal of trichomes, clean of organics, whether flower or leaf. continue to stir for 10 minutes after foam appears (beginning of the forming of emulsion between water and oil). strain. that will be your best yield of pristine snow hash. process as normal.

Great post!

Yes Gaius I do add some water to the mixture, the next time I do it I'll measure how much snow and water I'm using to make it easier for others. If you add too much snow the whole mixture becomes a huge bitch to stir.

Great post!

Yes Gaius I do add some water to the mixture, the next time I do it I'll measure how much snow and water I'm using to make it easier for others. If you add too much snow the whole mixture becomes a huge bitch to stir.

ty, VADO!

i just made it into a runny slurry. little ice is needed to hyper chill.

rangergord

Been using snow in my one gallon bubble bags most of the time. I have had problems with trichomes becoming trapped in the snow. When I use crushed ice I can see the difference in that the yeild is higher. Reading all of your techniques is firing me up to try again with snow. Living in canada there is no shortage of snow. Most of the time the snow is dry and powdery. If it is wet and melting it is harder to handle. Here is my plan for my next run. I will put my dried leaf outdoors in freezing temps along with the buckets and tools. I will melt some snow indoors into water and then chill the water outdoors. Once everything is frozen I will mix the herb with some snow in a pail. No melting should occur and the snow and herb will swirl around in the pail easily. The snow should have a sandpaper effect on the leaf and shear off the trichomes. After I work it for a reasonable time I can add water and bring it indoors to finish off as usual. I am going to allow most of the snow to melt completely before I pull the bags so that trichomes are less likely to be trapped in the snow. Thats the plan, I'll post the results soon.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Been using snow in my one gallon bubble bags most of the time. I have had problems with trichomes becoming trapped in the snow. When I use crushed ice I can see the difference in that the yeild is higher. Reading all of your techniques is firing me up to try again with snow. Living in canada there is no shortage of snow. Most of the time the snow is dry and powdery. If it is wet and melting it is harder to handle. Here is my plan for my next run. I will put my dried leaf outdoors in freezing temps along with the buckets and tools. I will melt some snow indoors into water and then chill the water outdoors. Once everything is frozen I will mix the herb with some snow in a pail. No melting should occur and the snow and herb will swirl around in the pail easily. The snow should have a sandpaper effect on the leaf and shear off the trichomes. After I work it for a reasonable time I can add water and bring it indoors to finish off as usual. I am going to allow most of the snow to melt completely before I pull the bags so that trichomes are less likely to be trapped in the snow. Thats the plan, I'll post the results soon.

Hee, hee, hee............ Look forward to your report!

may i be so bold as to offer a few suggestions?

it is important that your material is well hydrated, so a 12 hour soak prior, will dramatically reduce the amount of time to work your material. this aids in the hyper chill of the material, solidifying the trichomes for easy removal.

running from the sub freezing temperatures through thaw is what expedites the removal of frozen trichomes from thawed plant material which is flexible/pliable but does not fracture thus keeping plant material out of the finished product. that is why a wooden spoon or a dough hook on a mixer work so well....mild agitation without fracture.

add only enough snow to your water/cannabis solution to make it a thick slurry, so that it will thaw in a relatively short period of time mixing, say 20 minutes.

then mix beyond that temperature change, through 10 minutes of foaming before running the solution and sediment through your bags.

i do hope you have as wonderful result, as i did. may you never go back to ice, my Canadian friend!