What's new

Making A Living Off Medical Marijuana?

kmk420kali

Freedom Fighter
Veteran
inflorescence said:
and this is different exactly how from the millions of "legit" farmers in this country who are working just as hard yet producing crop (food, textiles) that are 1/50 the value when sold?

It is different because MJ farmers chose a better crop-- :jump:
C'mon man...if you want Communism...join a Commune!!
It is mind-boggling to me that there is this much division from within ourselves-- This must be how the Religious Sects started out.... :fsu:
Ppl providing MJ at a profit, are making up....I would have to say...at least 90% of the weed you are smoking today-- Being a Grower is very dangerous, tedious, hard...and mostly boring work-- Why can't we get paid?? If I make millions...that just means I am growing millions worth of weed-- I don't understand the prob--

inflorescence

Veteran
kmk420kali said:
It is different because MJ farmers chose a better crop-- :jump:
C'mon man...if you want Communism...join a Commune!!
It is mind-boggling to me that there is this much division from within ourselves-- This must be how the Religious Sects started out.... :fsu:
Ppl providing MJ at a profit, are making up....I would have to say...at least 90% of the weed you are smoking today-- Being a Grower is very dangerous, tedious, hard...and mostly boring work-- Why can't we get paid?? If I make millions...that just means I am growing millions worth of weed-- I don't understand the prob--

Why then don't landscapers get paid the same then.
They work just as hard, tedious, etc.
Please, the arguement about the labor, time, etc means nothing because there are millions upon millions of landscapers, interiorscapers, nurserymen across this great country of ours working just as long, just as hard, and here's the kicker, many are way more knowledgeable about horticulture then a lot of growers I've read about about.

The only difference is in the danger and that's where the law comes into play so you're just getting paid for the danger, and that's all.

Last edited:

kmk420kali

Freedom Fighter
Veteran
inflorescence said:
Why then don't landscapers get paid the same then.
They work just as hard, tedious, etc.
Please, the arguement about the labor, time, etc means nothing because there are millions upon millions of landscapers, interiorscapers, nurserymen across this great country of ours working just as long, just as hard, and here's the kicke, many are way more knowledgeable about horticulture then a lot of growers I've read about about.

The only difference is in the danger and that's where the law comes into play.

But the Law isn't what you are talking about-- You seem to have a prob with ppl making $$ off it in general-- But the Law...yes, that is the factor that keeps it at $400/oz instead of a much more fair price-- But the truth of the matter is, that right now, the way things are today...you cannot possibly grow quality weed...in large amounts...without figuring in the risks-- It takes a lot of $$ to do whatever you may need to, to get this stuff from plant to Patient--

kmk420kali

Freedom Fighter
Veteran
inflorescence said:
Chose an illegal crop. Oops, not so :jump:,
but hey, we'll just call it medical and all of the sudden :jump: :jump: .

Now your catching on-- :bashhead:
(Sorry...just thought I would be as silly as you for a sec-- :dueling: )

FirstTracks

natural medicator
Veteran
why would you grow an illegal plant, at no profit, with the risk of 25 years in federal pen?

If I was risking going away for most of the rest of my life, i'd want to make bank too.

Its not like if they dropped prices and then got busted, all the risk would suddenly be gone. "yes judge, i feel i deserve a lighter penalty because I didn't make enough money."

There are too many people ON THIS SITE who think that someone growing cannabis deserves jailtime. Thats ridiculous. plain and simple. NO ONE, not the canna growing grandpa, not the guy with the 1k closet grow, not the coops providing to the clubs, and not even the major cash croppers doing multiple acres deserve jail/prison for growing this PLANT.

Sometimes I can't believe the hypocricy here. All this "it brings the heat on the smaller guys" and "these guys are making too much money"........

listen to what you're saying. You're condemning someone who does the same thing as you, just on a different scale, for different motives, or in a different manner.

really............what is that????

Where the hell is our community going when there are members who think that their way is the only morally correct way to do it.

Again, its a plant that is only illegal because of lobbying efforts from DuPont and the need for mass hysteria over something.

Please, my family here.........support one another and quit tearing down the house from the inside out.

inflorescence

Veteran
FirstTracks said:
why would you grow an illegal plant, at no profit, with the risk of 25 years in federal pen?

why would you grow an illegal plant, with profit, and call it medical?

Do you guys think the MMJ laws are bullshit? Because if you hide behind them, or usurp them you are in contempt of those laws.

that's pretty insulting to the ill.

You have a choice to grow, the ill do not have a choice whether they become sick or not.

Last edited:

FirstTracks

natural medicator
Veteran
ok, so here it is another way. If no coOps ever made much of a profit, how many do you think would really be left? So assuming my train of though is correct (i know, i know, biiiig assumption, just work with me here) ...wouldn't there soon be fewer co ops producing large supplies if none ever made much of a profit? Following that decrease in co ops producing, there would likely be a corresponding decrease in supply. Following basic capitalistic rules(and just economic for that matter), the decrease in supply with a steady demand would lead to an increase in prices across the board. Still following?
These price increases would then make it EVEN MORE DIFFICULT for med folks to afford their medice.

I, for one, never said MMJ laws are bullshit.

I do, however, think that many many people abuse the system with false medical conditions just so they can legally possess and/or grow.
Tell me this isn't hurting the system.

But now I'll ask again in different words.

Shouldn't EVERYBODY, and not just people who can get a doctor's rec, be allowed to grow without fear of prison?

I just don't see how someone who uses cannabis and participates on a cannabis forum can honestly say that they think another grower deserves jail or prison.

Its just not right.

kmk420kali

Freedom Fighter
Veteran
inflorescence said:
why would you grow an illegal plant, with profit, and call it medical?

Do you guys think the MMJ laws are bullshit? Because if you hide behind them, or usurp them you are in contempt of those laws.

that's pretty insulting to the ill.

You have a choice to grow, the ill do not have a choice whether they become sick or not.

Ok...so now our Legal System...which you seem to hold in such high esteem...is not founded and based upon loop-holes and Legal Language??
Take a step back to reality brother--
I think the MMJ laws, AS THEY ARE WRITTEN...are bullshit-- I do believe in the medical properties of MJ...and I know first hand of the sick patients-- But for me...MJ is just as it has been for the last 36 years I have been smoking it-- An integral part of my life-- If that doesn't fit the bill of being free to use something that is medically and spiritually enhancing...then I don't know what does--
As I asked before...can anyone tell me one other thing in this world...that is a common legal commodity...that is not alowed to be sold for profit??

FirstTracks

natural medicator
Veteran
kmk420kali said:
As I asked before...can anyone tell me one other thing in this world...that is a common legal commodity...that is not alowed to be sold for profit??

water? wait.........nope. even something that everyone needs to survive can be sold for profit.

Rainman

The revolution will not be televised.....
Veteran
I think we are missing the point here. We are not against cash croppers or making as much profit as you want. We are against you using a law designed for the sick and dying as a shield to help you make that profit. If you wanna be a bad ass big time grower then by all means exercise your constitutional right and do so. What we dont want is the cash cropper on the nightly news getting arrested with 20 lights,600 plants, 3 pitbulls, 5 unregistered weapons, 20k in cash, constant late night traffic in a suburban neighborhood by a school getting drug off to jail screamin you got a medical script and a doctors note! All this holier than thou talk sounds kinda condescending and doesn't push the conversation in a direction one way or the other so whats it for? As for moral court - I was just giving my opinion and if that makes you think about morals then hey - thats your bag to carry. This is the medical issues forum but it feels like the cash croppers got their feelings hurt forum. Why all the unrepentant love and commitment for a group that basically takes advantage of you as a medical user in every way they can? Why would I defend my oppressor????? I got my card and script to shake the shady dealers, exp. clubs and grow my own meds period. I havent made a penny off of it in 5 yrs. Call it what you want but I have no problem sleeping at night.

Common legal commodity - What is that? How do you own or share that? Common legal commodity? How about just plain old love and respect for my common man. How about the idea that some things no matter how enticing arent worth the weight it bears on my soul as a human being. I know it sounds crazy not to make a profit but its not what the medical community is here for guys. and it is not what the law was designed for. Yeah alot of people are using it to simply get high and enjoy herb legally. But they aren't profiteers.

Last edited:

FirstTracks

natural medicator
Veteran
Then why don't you petition the state to change the laws so only terminally sick people can grow? i'm sure GW would love to see that happen before he's out of office.

That way you wouldn't have a bunch of people with med cards who weren't doing things you approve of.

O, and that was quite the 'evil grower' example you came up with.

let me just play that out quick though.

What we dont want is the cash cropper on the nightly news getting arrested with 20 lights,600 plants, 3 pitbulls, 5 unregistered weapons, 20k in cash, constant late night traffic in a suburban neighborhood by a school getting drug off to jail screamin you got a medical script and a doctors note!

just humor me.

ill start at the end and work backwards.

>Fred has a script and note for something. Maybe its legit, maybe not.

>he's in a suburban neighborhood by a school.
so
1. a grower isn't allowed to live in a nice area, check
2. because he was growing near a school, its worse than having beer and cigs available around the corner from the school. check
(though I agree, shouldn't grow near a school, just a bad idea)

>constant late night traffic
-ya got me there, its annoying.

>20k in cash
-Fred isn't allowed to put his money in the bank or carry it in his car, the IRS or police, respectively, may very well take it from him, so Fred keeps it in his house in a safe. he pulls the cash out to finance his grow and buy his groceries. What a horrible person.

>5 unregistered weapons
-so Fred is a gangsta I guess. Or maybe Fred just has 5 hunting rifles that he can't register because he has a prior felony (for growing cannabis) on his record and apparently that (growing cannabis) makes someone too violent to own a weapon.

>3 pitbulls
-Great dogs, love them, such loving dogs if cared for right.
-Since Fred lives in a suburban neighborhood, maybe he has been reading about growhouses getting robbed by gangs at gunpoint. Maybe Fred doesn't want to die. SHould Fred not be able to protect himself because he grows some plants?

>20 lights and 600 plants
-first off, don't get me started on the stupidity of using plant count to judge yield and saying that each plant is going to yield 1lb finished and bring in how many thousands of dollars.
-20 lights: so the guy pulls 20-40 elbs every 2 months. Thats a LOT of med users he can supply. Even better, the more cannabis that Fred pumps out, the more price competition it encourages, potentially driving down local prices.

wouldn't be surprised if Fred even helps the community more by providing a job for someone to help him tend his garden. After all, with 30 plants per light, Fred is keeping himself busy.

Ok, so where's the part about Fred not being sick? Maybe he's using Rick SImpson's technique of making hemp oil to treat/cure cancers and he requires a lot of material. Maybe this hemp oil is ditributed free to cancer sufferers in his little suburban neighborhood.

O, wait, what am I doing!?!? I need to be judging this guy like mainstream media wants me to do because he was doing something the Federal gov doens't want him to do so he must be evvvvviiiiiiilllllll.

So tell me again rainman, why do you deserve your card more than fred?

Koroz

although I don't totally agree with rainman, I think that you first tracks are taking what he is saying and using the other extreme.

The problem is perception. You can call bullshit all you want, but what people PERCEIVE to be the truth is more important then the truth when it comes to our plight.

So yes, even though you can sit here on a forum with like minded individuals and talk down to rainman about what he said, the fact is that the way he said it is how the majority of non marijuana, and prohibition activists are going to view it, not the way you break it down.

The biggest hurdle I have always said is ourselves. As fun loving, and great the "deadhead" "rasta" "smoke and tokers" are, as I have been one, they do not give the perception of individuals who are professionals. Unfortunate for us even though our word as citizens should mean something, in the eyes of the people with the power we are nothing more then transient drug abusers.... so no, for us it wouldn't look good if Joe Blo gets caught in that situation.

Regardless of how it should be in a perfect world, we need to start using the system to our benefit instead of fighting against it every chance we can. There is an age old saying of "Pick your battles", one you do not win is one where the majority has already made up its mind. Instead we need to find a way (and no, I don't have the answer on how) to get our word into where it matters, the lobbyists. That's how laws are changed, until we find a plausible loophole now or find a way to get a libertarian supreme court, we are stuck with the haves and haves not.

I know it sucks, and I know people are going to tell me that Im full of shit, or that I am wrong that the miracle drug is a plant and means no harm, yada yada yada, but thats exactly the kind of message that turns the people away who DO have the vote to change the way its looked upon.

Its unfortunate but we need more people, not just everyday people but people with swagger who have the publics eye like Montel, and other sick people who can bring this issue to the public eye with out the pre conceived image of nothing more then a drug user. We need the backing of some big money, and big names or else its always going to be a losing battle. A battle that is going to get harder for every user when people decides to move to California to sell Medicinal marijuana for profit and then gets busted and ends up on the front page for the DEA and its chronies to pat themselves on the back while proclaiming to keep the world safe from us evil drug users.

Last edited:

Rainman

The revolution will not be televised.....
Veteran
Let me get the Count out of the way first - Great response! You have so much to offer in thread that I dont know how we made it this far without all that wisdom and knowledge! Dont know the talking out of the side of my neck technique by the way.

Fastracts - Actually the law is already set up for people who are sick or terminal so that would kinda be inventing the wheel dont ya think? Just humor me cause I will start at the top and work my way to the bottom. Evil is not the words I used so lets not put words in my mouth as the ones coming out cant seem to make the point anyway.

Fred has a script - Lets just give him that at this point why dont we. He is in a suburb by a school. He can def. live in a nice neighborhood if he wants. Problem is being by a school that puts him in the drug free zones that are statewide. So now his card means zilch and what voter out there is gonna think it is a good idea that he has opened up shop across from their kids playground? Having smokes and alcohol is 100% legal anywhere in the country so that statement means nothing. Check.

Skip the traffic part cause it annoys you and his neighbors. Check

20k cash - I have been growing for many years been pulled over by leo, even had an audit. They never took any of my cash from my bank. Sounds like Fred is holding onto alot of cash he cant explain. Sounds like Fred hasn't paid taxes on his cash(why else would the IRS be involved?) and the what is he doin that the cops would take his cash or make him worry about them taking his cash from a banking institution? I buy groceries all the time and no cop or IRS agent ever pulled me from the line to ask where did my cash come from. Sounds like Fred is doing alot of things considered illegal to me. Check

5 unregistered weapons - This is the cherry cause any idiot with any sense knows that the feds come down hardest on illegal guns. If he is a felon then yes he should be thrown in jail for having guns that he didn't register like non-criminals. Again I have been pulled over many times and had guns in the car. When you show them your permit and safety class card you are golden my friend. Its not the violencee that makes him unable to own a weapon legally it all the really bad decisions that led up to the felonies that has him there Check

3 pits - You took care of this for me. Thanks! Now does Fred own the loving and caring pits or the vicious this gangbanger(funny) gonna kill me, I dont want to die, kill or attack anything that moves pit? Again growhouse in suburban neighborhood? Check. Didn't know gangbangers rode through the suburbs looking for grow houses to rob? I wonder how they know where to look. Could it be traffic? Could they be customers? Im sure the neighbors are thrilled about that. What about the loving pits? Did they tip off the mean gangbangers? And lastly Fred should not be allowed to protect himself because eveything you have given me so far is illegal on his part! Why would I agree that a drug dealer should be allowed to protect himself? Check

20 lights - Fred is past way the legal limit for his script with that many plants so again is Fred a drug dealer or is Fred a med patient looking to grow his own meds and supply the sick? Again you didnt mention any other scripts at his grow so I am gonna assume he is doing this for the love of $$. As far as competition are you so naive that you believe one guy with 20 lights is gonna change anything about the herb market anywhere? Thats funny. I wont touch the pounds per side of this as i dont think it would even matter with that number of plants. What you meant to say is that he can supply alot of his customers with that number. Check

Fred is helping the community? Would that be with all the traffic at night? Maybe he helps by not noticing his loving dogs are loose and just mauled a school kid walking home from school. Perhaps in an effort to protect himself from the evil gangbangers he has a shoot out in his living room (using the guns he shouldnt have in the first place) and kills the 80 year old lady across the street. Sounds like he is gonna be up for that neighbor of the year award for sure. Check

As for him being sick-you can play that however you like cause this point its not gonna matter. Judging him like the mainstream media - they would make him out to be a drug dealing felon who owns illegal guns, has shootouts in his yard with gangbangers, keeps vicious dogs for love or protection, all while doing so down the street from little Mary's school(if i where filming I would def. get the school and some small kids in the background for more effect). Now all this is blasted on the 6 o'clock like the next war just started. What voter out there is gonna be own our side from that point? Oh wait!! All the pitbull owning, high traffic at night, felonious illegal gun owning citizen's are gonna jump up in outrage!!! He is not evil just retarded.

Since I do not own any illegal guns, viscous dogs for love, 600 plants and 20 lights, live near a school and have no traffic at night(let alone high traffic) I would say yes I deserve to have a card and Fred should be on a big bus to Folsom. Mate

Again!! I am not against people doin massive grows and getting paid! It is a capitalist society and that is what we do. As i said before though, dont go hiding behind the med scripts and doctor's rec. when you get caught. You cant have it both ways. Either follow the rules or pay the price. What makes the cash croppers here think that they can do whatever they choose and hide behind a law made for "sick" people?!!! :bashhead:

Last edited:

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
OK, let me go at this again, not so heavily stoned. I think most of us freedom farmers have pipe dreams about moving to lala land, where our culture is more open and partially legal. It has been fifty moons today since I last smoked a joint with a human, and I long for the comaraderie of my peers. Please forgive us for misunderstanding cannafornia.

Rainman, what you do is a fine thing, I will give you a bong salute later in the day, and all others who serve in such a way. But there is no one right way, just as there is not a single path to enlightenment, but many. Each grower must do what he or she can, and what we understand how to do, hopefully with a fair moral compass.

I would put forth the hypothosis, that a grower who produces a quality medical product, and markets it at a rate of 10x, in a market where clients pay up to 20x for the same quality, is providing a service to his community. And by serving his community in this way, he can help the folks that need it as those needs arise. If he does not make some profit, he will not be there to fill that need in the future. It is not a perfect solution, but it serves the community. Sometimes that has to be enough.

It is enough for me, it has to be.
H

W

Whatever

I breezed through the last few pages and think Haps recent post is very logical/solid and definitely not emotional like some of the stuff I've read.

I'm not gonna address everything I read but...
It makes no sense and to say that sick people are using it because they enjoy it, is immature to say the least.
Why do people twist around what others say? I said that most people are recreational users, and always have been...for frikkin decades in the US, and always will be. People have talked about how 'cash cropping' tends to tarnish the image of the canna med situation. I say that people who have recommendations just for the sake of being able to purchase and grow small amounts for their own 'recreational' use tarnish the credibility of the situation more.

...and what's up with all the karma police? I don't see that some of this stuff has to do with 'good' or 'bad' karma' just what some believe or agree with what is right or wrong and I say that's a concept that some give value to and others don't. Why do people insist on dumping their judgments on others and use the 'karma' defense? That's irresponsible IMO and creates unnecessary polarization.

I would use a strict definition of canna 'medicine' as something grown 100% organically outdoors. I don't know how some can claim to be providing 'medicine' thats grown using salts but that's just my opinion. Consider all the extra energy used, both directly and indirectly like the manufacture of indoor equipment and the stress that whole process puts on the environment up and downstream, to grow indoors. Growing outdoors with organics has no net negative effect on the enviro as a whole.

Either follow the rules or pay the price.
I know of many people, both directly and indirectly, that in all good faith tried to follow the rules because they wanted to grow for themselves, and in some situations genuinely help a few other people in good integrity, and had serious problems. They were well within the rules that I could tell and still got fucked with...some seriously.

Last edited:
It would seem that Most who claim to have an Open Mind are actually very narrow in their thinking ... Is weed not a remedy for stress ? Can stress related illness not kill you anymore ? So I guess we have to be on deaths door to qualify to consume weed ? Fuck ... I'm not even in a med state ... Do I have Less of a right as a human to treat myself because of where I live ? Does anyone besides a person of healing arts need to judge the severity of another humans health ? This definitely gets my vote for the "My Butt Hurts" thread of the year award. The same people making the same points Over and Over isn't changing my mind ... Give it a rest

Last edited:
W

Whatever

Is weed not a remedy for stress?
Weed is technically a remedy for a lot of things...including stress. Under the 'spirit' of the law virtually every should be entitled to a recommendation. There is no denying it's general benefits and overall 'tonic' effects....for everyone. The US government has a patent that covers the antioxidant properties which will protect brain tissue from degenerating...that's called aging...which happens to everyone.

'Making money on the backs of sick people'? I see this as pertaining to chronically and severely sick only. Bottom line is the 'law' is for everyone and everyone should use it because in general it does apply.

Do I have Less of a right as a human to treat myself because of where I live?
That's ridiculous...no...everyone should have a right no matter where they live no matter what their condition.

Latest posts

Latest posts