What's new

Makado anyone ever try it

raythat

chubbynugs said:
Very nice! How many days was the finish time on those?
Thank you chubbynugs They went about 9 weeks under 1000watt hps , I had 4 girls in 5 gallon buckets in foxfarm soil an all foxfarm nutrients got over a lb at harvest

From Next Generation Seed CO:

"The Mikado and the Dynamite are very closely related, they are both made
with the Grapefruit clone. The dynamite male is different than the fed
mikado male. Its seeds are an F4 of the Grapefruit. The Grapefruit clone
has been in the BC Asian grow community before breeder steve played with
it. Hope this helps a bit.
Happy Harvesting, J"

"Our Dynamite is an F4 backcross into the original Grapefruit clone. The seedlings are very simular to the original Grapefruit in most ways. There is some variation in height, but only by an inch or two. Slightly denser than the Grapefruit mother. The Grapefruit clone has been around B.C. for over a decade. It was grown by the B.C. Asian community and was know as "The only plant you'll ever need." Many Canadian seed companies have used this clone mother as a base for breeding from.

Dynamite is a good compact production strain with tight internodal spacing and fast maturing buds. When put into flowering mode the Dynamite seedlings will do a stretch of about 10-14 inches. Dynamite clones will only stretch about 6-12 inches. The bottom branches will grow out looking for light if left untrimed. Great strain for growing in small spaces like closets, balcony's, or growboxes.

Very fruity satisfing taste with a thick smoke. Buds grow dense and chunky, indoors, outdoors, or in a greenhouse. In Canada the Outdoor grow season doesn't usually allow for Dynamite crops to fully ripen unless you grow in: BC Okanogan, South Vancouver Island, or in southern Ontario.

However in a greenhouse the Dynamite thrives in most other parts of Canada. Under natural light it finishes flowering around Oct. 10. In more temperate locations the results have been astounding Outdoors. Farmers in Northern California and in Texas have reported crops of a lb. per plant, when planted straight into the ground.

In 2005 Dynamite won 1st place in the Oregon Medical Cannabis Awards as best strain overall. In 10 years of breeding this is our most grown strain and for good reason. Its a great strain for the beginer or the proffesional grower."

Here is the 45 day pheno i found in a pack of dynamite.....she is tasty but the other phenos are much better and take about 60 days...

Last edited:

Verite

My little pony.. my little pony
Veteran
All I can think of is those early Mikado days must have been experiments in variety since my grows seemed a little different. My seeds were from around 2000. Taller plant growth with about 2x the stretch in flower and decent side branch formation. The buds didnt appear as dense as the other pictures here Ive seen and they were smaller.

The bud smell was mostly pines and heavy menthol. It had a crazy terpene profile that was really sticky like pine tar and I remember the first time I harvested it and was smelling the freshly trimmed buds and it started to make the sensitive skin around my face get irritated like it was exposed to household cleaning products, like a mild burning sensation.

I also remember one Mikado crop getting mites a little over halfway into flower and it was weird seeing the mites go after the leaves but wouldnt get within a half inch of any bud that had trichomes on it. Seems they felt that irritation too.

The finished product I found was narcotically potent. Very strong and I say narcotic because it had this brain buzzing quality unlike any of the other really strong weeds I was smoking at the time. The stuff made you want to smoke it when that brain buzz started to fade. The other weeds wouldnt do it so they sat unsmoked until I was 100% done smoking all the Mikado I had.

The reason I did the Holy Grail, Mikado cross to C99 was I was looking to tone down the power of the Mikado while increasing its yield with the C99 and wishing I ended up with a super potent version of C99. The results werent too far off but after all the work ended up with something that you wouldnt think contains either Mikado or C99.

G

My vote is for raythat!

And Federation says that F4 male was an AUTO. I couldn't see any sign of that in the plants I grew.

Mine didn't have any rasberry smell as i recollect Treeking. I also didn't experience any bug problems at all. It was fairly hardy although the plants didn't have any appreciation at all for dry weather. She likes here moisture.

My plants weren't completely ripe at harvest. I planted them as small seedlings the last week of April and I harvested them on NOv. 6 because weather had turned inclement, but they needed another 2 weeks minimum to finish at 38 degrees,. I didn't smoke any of it for 4 or 5 months but when i did, whew! I grew out 8 strains last year, and only the super chrystal from HGF was as potent as the Mikado. It made me want to grow it out and try it fully matured.

G

Hindu Kush
Brains Damage
Sensi Star
Maple leaf indica
Ice
Afghaini/ Nirvana

K

kopite

Thanks for the info Chimera....

I've crossed a Black domina F3 to mikado and the resulting plants have shown extreme variation.... but have all stank of SPG

blackone

Veteran
Chimera said:
In regards to your edit.....

Keep in mind, the Mikado seeds I grew were purchased in the late '90's... I believe their line has only been further backcrossed since then.

I found a couple of plants that were spg-like in taste and smell, many were not like the spg in floral-character or stature. This is expected when dealing with a backcross line using a hybrid (non true-breeding) genotype such as the SPG. It's the same reason there was a certain degree of variation in the Swt #3.... no degree of selection can cure this condition in a backcross program, which IMO is a streategy not well suited to hybrid genotypes like SPG.

Within any backcross population of hybrid clones, you should expect sme degree of variation at any locus that does not breed true...this can easily account for the reports by some of low potency. If you look around, some people thought the swt #3 was very potent, and listed as an all time favorite. Considering most people grow small populations of any seedline, most recombinant types will be missed by the random sampling of the population contained in a seedpack.

I certainly didn't find the spg-like Mikado plants 'potent as hell'... the best were about on par to the SPG which is not 'potent as hell' either. She does excel in flavour and bag appeal, leaves some to be desired in terms of stature... but the yield is good if you get her dialed. She does have some of what I deem negative traits.... her floppy stature and tendency to pre-flower heavily when root bound being up front. Luckily, these often don't appear in hybrid crosses and are easily removed in downline selections given proper selection pressures are applied.

Hope that answers your question...
-Chimera

This post is making me think...
I managed to find a kick-ass citrus pheno female in a pack of Swt#3 and have since been considering trying to stabilize it. Unfortunately I lost my male because of the autoflowering you mentioned - some of the females would also show too many preflowers for my liking when I made them into bonsai moms. My citrus pheno doesn't do that very much:)
Perhaps Mikado is the place I should look for SPG genes then... It should be even better than just another Swt#3 male right? Other sources I've been considering are BC Sweet tooth (swt #3 inbred for fast flowering) or Dynamite.

raythat

TREE KING said:
raythat, how much veg time did you give those plants?
I really cant remember TreeKing but I flipped them at 24in and ended up with 6ft monsters(from seed) from clone and topped I flipped them at 24in and ended at 4.5 ft

T

TREE KING

raythat, its all good. how would you rate the potency on your mikado? i love the way your plants look and i wanted to get your oppinion about how potent you think mikado is. also what other strains have you grown and how would you compare them to the mikado?

Latest posts

Latest posts