What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Maine's medical scene

E

emerald city

Midnight oil , Is that the name/breed of MJ in yor area?? ..Never heard of that.or.. is that some of doob's hash creations??.......I Did get to try some of that BHO last year for christmas[first time]...Batch was made up from a qp of ecsd...Im an everyday medicinal smoker and one hit of the BHO i was high,2nd hit i started to get real hot,3rd hit i was done....Reminded me more of baseing coke in the 80ies then smoking hash....Too strong for me ,plus when you figure the cost of a qp of ecsd reduced down to so many grams of oil= not very cost effective...Also started seeing people lost in thier cellars for days looking more like meth freaks then pot heads....I digress....next....So what IS this midnight oil??

Anyone know what is happening with this:

Sec. 14. 22 MRSA §2424, sub-§2, as enacted by IB 2009, c. 1, §5, is repealed and the following enacted in its place:

2. Adding debilitating medical conditions. The commissioner shall establish, chair and staff an advisory board consisting of at least 8 health care practitioners representing various fields of practice, including but not limited to neurology, gastroenterology, pain management, medical oncology, psychiatry, infectious disease, hospice medicine, family medicine and gynecology. The practitioners must be national board-certified in their areas of specialty and knowledgeable about the medical use of marijuana. The advisory board must also include at least 2 members of the public, at least one of whom is a registered qualifying patient. The members must be chosen for appointment by the commissioner from a list proposed by the Maine Medical Association and the Maine Osteopathic Association or their successor organizations and from a list of individuals who have volunteered to serve on the advisory board. The advisory board shall:
A. Review and recommend to the commissioner for approval additional debilitating medical conditions that would benefit from the medical use of marijuana;
B. Accept and review petitions to add medical conditions, medical treatments or diseases to the list of debilitating medical conditions that qualify for the medical use of marijuana;
C. Convene at least once per year to conduct public hearings and to evaluate petitions, which must be maintained in the same manner as confidential personal health information under section 2425, subsection 8, to add medical conditions, medical treatments or diseases to the list of debilitating medical conditions that qualify for the medical use of marijuana;
D. Issue recommendations concerning rules for the issuance of registry identification cards; and
E. Recommend quantities of marijuana that are necessary to constitute an adequate supply for qualifying patients and primary caregivers.

Amber Trich

^I think it just means they will reconvene once a year to go over the rules and make updates?

haha funny post EC! I loved that! hashes and oils make me think the same thing sometimes! although Ive never seen anyone actually get cracked out hahha. great for working though...

midnight oil is a strain people are growing locally. everyone LOVES it and its the only thing we grab once in a while to supplement our stash. I think its a sativa, an immensely stoney one. There always seems to be a lot of it when its around so I wondered if others were getting it too.

Aeroguerilla

I’m God’s solider, devil’s apostle
Veteran
I got some chemd x purple oil that is 70% thc shit knocks you the fuck out... all us mainiacs should meet up and get cracked out some time lol

E

emerald city

I got some chemd x purple oil that is 70% thc shit knocks you the fuck out... all us mainiacs should meet up and get cracked out some time lol
Sounds fun but i have to be real carefull.....The older i get the worse it gets,maybe its medical but probley in my head....I can be home or familar suroundings, take my pain pills and smoke [good] pot all day and show no visible signs of bakedness.BUT .If i were to go out in public,meeting new people,still smoking the same pot, I would have an anxiety attack after more then a few puffs...Smoking oil would be out of the question if i were obligated to carry on more then a basic conversation or required to keep my clothes on :laughing:.
Yes..A meeting of Maine-iac's could be cool long as i can medicate at my own pace...

Amber Trich

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:
hahahaha EC that just makes this whole thing sound so much more fun.. Im in guys!
I personally do better socially on oil than straight herbs, but we'll see.
Aeroguerilla you seem like youd be puffing tough no matter what

^I think it just means they will reconvene once a year to go over the rules and make updates

But I'm wondering if we actually have a chance at back pain or depression (like in cali) being added to the list of accepted medical conditions.

Also I see the law reads:

2. Debilitating medical condition. "Debilitating medical condition" means:

B. A chronic or debilitating disease or medical condition or its treatment that produces intractable pain, which is pain that has not responded to ordinary medical or surgical measures for more than 6 months;

So does that mean that if my back pain hasn't gotten better in 6 months i would be eligible? I don't have a chronic disease and I dont go to the doctors for my pain because i refuse to take opiate based medication.

I cant just go to the doctors whenever (to see if it works) since I'm uninsured and poor... I need to know that I'm headed towards something positive If im spending money I don't have on doctors visits.

If you feel comfortable with it would people tell me what they are getting there recs written for?

H

highsteppa

I think that intractable pain of the back is OK, but you need to have a history with a doc 6 months prior to show that conventional methods haven't worked. Its hard cause unless you have insurance or maincare many haven't had the chance to see doctors.

Great thread EC.....:wave:

Some cuts in Maine:

ECSD
ChemD
Golden Goat
MOB
Mass Super Skunk
Outkast Blueberry
PA Bluberry sativa
Crunk (ft collins big bud x skunk early 90's)
Strawberry Cough
Purple Kona x Blueberry
Frankenfruit (and other ISS x WW crosses)
SourNL
Goo
Top 44 (piney cut, better thanyou'd think)

...this doesn't mean I have these, just those I've come in contact with/smoked

E

emerald city

But I'm wondering if we actually have a chance at back pain or depression (like in cali) being added to the list of accepted medical conditions.

Also I see the law reads:

So does that mean that if my back pain hasn't gotten better in 6 months i would be eligible? I don't have a chronic disease and I dont go to the doctors for my pain because i refuse to take opiate based medication.

I cant just go to the doctors whenever (to see if it works) since I'm uninsured and poor... I need to know that I'm headed towards something positive If im spending money I don't have on doctors visits.

If you feel comfortable with it would people tell me what they are getting there recs written for?
You will need to get your medical problem documented.For real..After a 6 month period of time a doctor can recommend MJ for chronic pain ..In Maine it is quite hard to find a doctor who is willing to make the recommendation.I have only heard of one group of doctors out of the capitol area and a couple in private practice....If you get in touch with a local caregivers group[ASA maine or mainecommonsense] they might be able to help.

You will need to get your medical problem documented.For real..After a 6 month period of time a doctor can recommend MJ for chronic pain ..In Maine it is quite hard to find a doctor who is willing to make the recommendation.I have only heard of one group of doctors out of the capitol area and a couple in private practice....If you get in touch with a local caregivers group[ASA maine or mainecommonsense] they might be able to help.

Thanks emerald! I also just found this on Dr Sulak's website:

Qualifying conditions?

05/11/10 01:23
Hello, I would like to know if I would be eligible for a medical marijuana card. I have these two issues that I think it will help. Migraines - I get awful migraines at least once or twice a week. I've gotten prescriptions for this but I'm sick of the side effects. Lower Back Spasms - I work from home and therefore spend about 90% of the time sitting in my office chair. My back KILLS because of this but I refuse to take pain killers because again, the side effects are ridiculous. Anyway you could help me out?

Chronic pain that has been present for at least 6 months and has not responded to conventional therapy is eligible for a medical marijuana recommendation. It sounds like both of these conditions would qualify as long as you can supply documentation that supports the fact you have tried to address the problem with a physician at least 6 months ago and have not had satisfactory results. Yes, we can likely help you out in many ways - manual medicine, supplements, herbs, and lifestyle modification can be very effective in treating these conditions. We have a lot of success helping patient with both low back pain and chronic migraine. http://drsulak.com/answers/answers.html#

I guess I need to get the ball rolling since I now know I legally qualify. All this time I have been being too pessimistic.

E

emerald city

Who sets the price?

Who sets the price?

Ive been trying to find out what the medical MJ patients of Maine are willing/or not to pay for thier monthly supply of smoke,either through thier caregiver/dispensery or underground supply...The folks i come in contact with are starting to rebel at the ever increaseing prices while the economy still is in the tank around here...
Rumor is when the 8 dispensaries open ,the average price charged per oz will be between 300-400,with SOME assistance going into helping "lower" income patients....Caregivers seem to be comeing in a bit lower in price at 250-350 [and are helping folks already]and are helping other clients on a slideing scale.....
Talking with other patients straight up[those who dont grow]They say, we have reached a point where the price of our mediccine[pot] is to high to be able to afford....Who can afford to smoke 4-5 z's a month at the cost of 1000-2000 or more, a month.Thats more money then some people make in a month,especialy the ones on a fixed /disability income...
Time for Maine's medical MJ patients to say enough is enough,set the bar and refuse to pay more then a certain preset price for your next bag o medicine.
Start at 300 per Z and refuse to pay more...Then learn to grow...The more folks who fall inline will help set[and drive down] the cost ..
You would think if the growers were satisfied with recieving 3200-4000 per lbs there would be more then enough room for the end patient to have many choice[variety] and still not have to pay more then 300 for the finest smoke in the world[imho]
Refuse to buy imported swag be it canadian/mexican/coloubian..Not a great way to outsourse your meds ...Stop buying the domestic 2nds being shipped in from the west...Support your local farmer and they will gladly work with you or learn to grow and set your own price...
These random thoughts were put together after to many sleepless nights..My only goal was to get Patients talking about the power of working as a group...The legal medical marijuana patients are coming out in force and as a political group could wield lots of power if organized properly...We are the driveing force of this new economy ,we make the rules.:dance013: My humble 2c[rant overr]

Aeroguerilla

I’m God’s solider, devil’s apostle
Veteran
If i have excess marijuana as a caregiver can i sell it to another caregiver if they have none for there patients? We could start a pretty powerful circle if this is the case.

E

emerald city

If i have excess marijuana as a caregiver can i sell it to another caregiver if they have none for there patients? We could start a pretty powerful circle if this is the case.
I could be wrong,but the interpitation from my lawyer says legally "no excess marijuana can be sold/transfered for money.period....Same goes for clones/seeds..I know the dispensaries can charge a fee and caregivers can?charge or just re-coup costs,its starts to get gray..As a patient i cant SELL my excess but i can give it away to another patient..
The states rules were either very short sighted,or specificly ommitted certain issues that the state considers "gray area"..The ability for dispensaries/caregivers and patients to legally aquire start up material[clones/seeds]needed to grow ,as one example.

swordfish

I could be wrong,but the interpitation from my lawyer says legally "no excess marijuana can be sold/transfered for money.period....Same goes for clones/seeds..I know the dispensaries can charge a fee and caregivers can?charge or just re-coup costs,its starts to get gray..As a patient i cant SELL my excess but i can give it away to another patient..
The states rules were either very short sighted,or specificly ommitted certain issues that the state considers "gray area"..The ability for dispensaries/caregivers and patients to legally aquire start up material[clones/seeds]needed to grow ,as one example.

Most of the meds I grow are $250.00 I feel thats a fare price for evreryone, some patients I sell for 200.00 if they have low income. I dont like selling over 250.00 if I dont have too. Some patients feel they have a right to meds at little or no cost and think We can grow and pound a plant and just throw seeds in dirt. People have no clue the costs, time and risks involved in this field.

E

emerald city

Most of the meds I grow are $250.00 I feel thats a fare price for evreryone, some patients I sell for 200.00 if they have low income. I dont like selling over 250.00 if I dont have too. Some patients feel they have a right to meds at little or no cost and think We can grow and pound a plant and just throw seeds in dirt. People have no clue the costs, time and risks involved in this field.
Awesome ...Seems like a very fair place/price to set the bar,atleast from a patients perspective...
For years the average street price for import was 200z ...Id be more the happy to pay that 200 or a little more 250 for a legal product grown locally thats also helping a neighbor make a living.Think globaly act locally...Good karma all round..
Yah i hear you on the "pennys from heaven or its just money growing on trees theory"" you get from folks who have know idea the time and effort it takes to grow a consistant,continuous product....Until they decide to try for themselves and find out how easy [a chess game] it is.....Im not bragging,but with the headroom i have to work with,the strain,lighting etc..Im a happy camper to get an ounce plant in a 28 day cycle or if i veg and lst maybe hit 2.5 if im lucky.That pound a plant story is from outside in cali not indoors in Maine.
Good luck man,seems like your trying to help the best way you can...Peace...E/C

Emerald City - I keep seeing you say that a plant in Maine is defined as a flowering 12" x 12" plant and a clone, mom, or vegging girl doesnt count. Do you have a legal reference for this? If so it would greatly effect the way my grow room develops. Also If someone designates me as their caregiver this means they can no longer legally grow on there own?

E

emerald city

Emerald City - I keep seeing you say that a plant in Maine is defined as a flowering 12" x 12" plant and a clone, mom, or vegging girl doesnt count. Do you have a legal reference for this? If so it would greatly effect the way my grow room develops. Also If someone designates me as their caregiver this means they can no longer legally grow on there own?
The only legal referance i have is my lawyers interpatation on the wording of the law.[Maine medical marijuana law,definitions]...Guess we wont really know for sure untill someone goes to court over the issue[setting president]..I have heard of one case where the police produced a warrent for the whole home to be searched and asking to see the legal growroom..The police found plants took all but 6 plants....Im sure there is much more to the story that wasnt included.

On your 2nd question..A patient can only choose 1 of the 3 options available to aquire thier medical MJ...My card says im allowed to grow my own so i cant go to a dispensary or caregiver to get my meds without changing my paperwork through DHHS.

My wife just got her card in the mail last week. Dr. Sulak recommended her last summer. My appointment is in January with Sulak, great office! We're both becoming caregivers, rooms ready to go(4- 1000's each), 12 moms, she just took clones of Burmese Kush, Arjan's Haze#1, Jack the Ripper, Agent Orange, Bubba Kush, Elvis Diesel. Coming soon... Double Strawberry Diesel, Sour bubble, Endless Sky. We're going to run indicas from 65 days to 100 day hazes. Those 7yrs of never ending prohibition rooms help with experience :) Should be extras, 1gram/watt is not that hard anymore.