What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Maines governor vetoes legalization

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Each plant has to have a tag with your name and drivers licence number on it! haha You guys are wackier than here in cali! Still not too bad compared to say Oklahoma eh?

I think the guv being a repub did have something to do with the law being vetoed. The irony is the repubs/conservatives profess to being less government and personal freedom guys( unless sex or drugs are involved). There are a lot of Republican voters that now favor decriminalization or legal status for cannabis.

Sessions and his kind are a dying breed. Here in California I am glad to grow my own and could care less about the commercial sales to come.

iBogart

Veteran
I'm not sure I agree. I've lived where cannabis is illegal all my life, and I've always been able to acquire good weed anyway.

If it gets legalized, first there's taxes. Then all kinds of regulations, because you know, cannabis is so toxic if it hasn't been inspected by the government.

You say that cuz you never been locked up for pot.

Taxes and regulations? Ohh boo hoo! Let's keep it illegal than, cause you know how everybody prefers prohibition.

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
That's a good point. But I bet we both agree that the way THEY see legalization is miles away from how WE always envisioned legalization, i.e., simply decriminalize it, and leave it to the people who want to partake and leave us the fuck alone.

I like the way they do it in Amsterdam- It's actually illegal on the books, but "tolerated" by the cops. And the cops are plenty tolerant, allowing a whole coffeeshop culture to grow and thrive there.

iBogart

Veteran
That's a good point. But I bet we both agree that the way THEY see legalization is miles away from how WE always envisioned legalization, i.e., simply decriminalize it, and leave it to the people who want to partake and leave us the fuck alone.

I like the way they do it in Amsterdam- It's actually illegal on the books, but "tolerated" by the cops. And the cops are plenty tolerant, allowing a whole coffeeshop culture to grow and thrive there.

Whole trouble is the corporatist warmongers in America make a shit ton money off the military industrial complex. That's what legalization is up against. This entire system is designed to dominate the globe and legal weed doesn't help their agenda very much.

p0opstlnksal0t

:yeahthats

I'm satisfied with the way things are here.

It could be a whole lot worse.

:tiphat:

honestly im ok with the rec law not going anywhere. as it stands you can flower 6 plants per person for recreational and no limit on growing in collectives or anything. the new rec law would destroy limits and make it so no one can have more than 12 plants per residence period.

p0opstlnksal0t

Each plant has to have a tag with your name and drivers licence number on it! haha You guys are wackier than here in cali! Still not too bad compared to say Oklahoma eh?

I think the guv being a repub did have something to do with the law being vetoed. The irony is the repubs/conservatives profess to being less government and personal freedom guys( unless sex or drugs are involved). There are a lot of Republican voters that now favor decriminalization or legal status for cannabis.

Sessions and his kind are a dying breed. Here in California I am glad to grow my own and could care less about the commercial sales to come.

As it stands in Maine you can have 6 flowering plants per person for recreational, 12 veg plants and unlimited seedlings (under 12"x12"). So me and my wife with medical cards can have 24 flowering plants at a given time, 48 veg plants and unlimited seedlings and keep all of what they produce.... Id say Maine is leaps and bounds above cali in the home growing front.

If my wife and I became caregivers we could each grow for 6 patients, or 72 flowering plants, 144 veg plants and unlimited seedlings... Although I doubt anyone would want to go over 99 plants total...

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Whole trouble is the corporatist warmongers in America make a shit ton money off the military industrial complex. That's what legalization is up against. This entire system is designed to dominate the globe and legal weed doesn't help their agenda very much.

Legal weed fo damn sho helps their agenda when they tax the hell out of it!

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
When New Jersey legalizes the entire east coast will do the same.

Jhhnn

Veteran
As it stands in Maine you can have 6 flowering plants per person for recreational, 12 veg plants and unlimited seedlings (under 12"x12"). So me and my wife with medical cards can have 24 flowering plants at a given time, 48 veg plants and unlimited seedlings and keep all of what they produce.... Id say Maine is leaps and bounds above cali in the home growing front.

If my wife and I became caregivers we could each grow for 6 patients, or 72 flowering plants, 144 veg plants and unlimited seedlings... Although I doubt anyone would want to go over 99 plants total...

That's considerably better than here in CO, but we make do. They're currently trying to squeeze all home growers down to 12 plants per household. I doubt it will pass constitutional muster. It's shitty on the part of the legislature because caregivers don't put out enough product to budge the needle in terms of total production. I think they're more nervous about protecting the cash cow of legalization from the feds with Sessions in charge. He's just itching for a plausible excuse & some of the large busts of supposedly interstate operations make it look like CO "isn't doing enough" or "can't control it" or some such bullshit.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
That's considerably better than here in CO, but we make do. They're currently trying to squeeze all home growers down to 12 plants per household.

Legal pot is pricey in CO. They want to squeeze out the black market. Even 12 plants at six grows per year could yield a tax-free income that would be appetizing to many.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Legalizing only affects the people who do not partake now because it is illegal. With legalization they might buy legally and get into it. For the rest of us, it doesn't really change anything except the go to jail part for selling / growing. People who smoke pot prior to legalization already have their sources and preferences . Why would they pay a higher price to go in a pot shop for legal weed that may not be their preference?

On the go to jail part, I can't speak for other states, but here in Massachusetts small growers are not included in the legalization. So big growers can buy their way into the licensing game and the little guys are still going to jail for taking a few of the bread crumbs off the table. The cops and the taxman will happily support the rich guys. Imagine if they tried to pull that shit on small farmers who sell their corn and tomatoes at a farm stand.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Legalizing only affects the people who do not partake now because it is illegal.
TRUTH!
Those same people will quit just as soon as they feel threatened as well!

The cops and the taxman will happily support the rich guys.
While oppressing the rest, even to their own demise.
Not much is really changing.

iBogart

Veteran
Another Democrat governor candidate for legalization

By The Associated Press

MADISON, Wis. — Democratic candidate for governor Matt Flynn says if Wisconsin voters want to legalize marijuana, he’s all for it.

Flynn on Tuesday called for the Republican-controlled Legislature to put a non-binding referendum on the November 2018 ballot asking if there’s support for the legalization and sale of marijuana.

If it would pass, Flynn says as governor he would push the Legislature to follow through.
There have been small signs of movement in the current Legislature among supporters of legalizing marijuana.

http://www.thecannabist.co/2017/11/14/matt-flynn-wisconsin-marijuana/92365/

Jhhnn

Veteran
Another Democrat governor candidate for legalization

By The Associated Press

MADISON, Wis. — Democratic candidate for governor Matt Flynn says if Wisconsin voters want to legalize marijuana, he’s all for it.

Flynn on Tuesday called for the Republican-controlled Legislature to put a non-binding referendum on the November 2018 ballot asking if there’s support for the legalization and sale of marijuana.

If it would pass, Flynn says as governor he would push the Legislature to follow through.
There have been small signs of movement in the current Legislature among supporters of legalizing marijuana.

https://www.thecannabist.co/2017/11/14/matt-flynn-wisconsin-marijuana/92365/

I wish him well with his efforts. He has an uphill fight with a GOP gerrymandered assembly.

http://time.com/4965673/wisconsin-supreme-court-gerrymandering-research/

Gry

Veteran
Any time the people wish to make themselves be heard over the bought and paid for, an up hill fight is going to be had no matter which party runs things.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Any time the people wish to make themselves be heard over the bought and paid for, an up hill fight is going to be had no matter which party runs things.

This is what it's all about. Because the rich can buy anything they want, anti trust laws, ethics, honest news, small business vs walmart, other laws EPA, education, medical, manufacturing vs china, pot legalization vs big pharma and booze, How it should be went out the window. Our shitty government is doing their best to prove capitalism does not work. Behind everything that's screwed up, there's some asshole who sold us out so they could make a buck.

LePage is doing what the republican PACs and check writers like the Koch brothers and Sheldon Adleson tell him to do. If he doesn't do it the money stops and it's over for him.