What's new

magnetic lock

minigreens

anyone try these out? are they meant only to hold back the force of a toddler or would it hold back an adult. obviously if they wanted in bad enough they could rip it off, but would it fend off a snooper from trying to get in?

kidco_mag_lock.jpg

anyone know of any other inconspicuous way to lock up my cab?

T-type

Thats cool, not useful in my situation though, but cool none-the-less...
I bet it messes up the finish of your wood though?

minigreens

the lock is on the inside, and the key is a magnet that you touch on the outside of the door to unlock it. dunno why it would mess up the finish

T-type

minigreens said:
the lock is on the inside, and the key is a magnet that you touch on the outside of the door to unlock it. dunno why it would mess up the finish

Uh by the picture it looks like you put the "key" on the door and turn it to move the latch....
could be mistaken though as the only thing I have to go off of is the picture provided

bounty29

Custom User Title
Veteran
http://www.amazon.com/Safety-1st-71173-Lock-Magnet/dp/B0000488W1

I just bought that the other day, need to go get the correct drill bit to install it as I didn't have the right size. There's no turning involved with this one, just put the magnet at the correct spot and the latch releases. As soon as I get it setup I'll post how strong it is. I've seen at least one cabinet here that had actual electro-magnetic locks, wired to power, which iirc were very strong. They were probably more expensive than this and if the power goes out...???

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
Looks like a great idea if strong enough. People are damn nosey. Never ceases to amaze me how casually they open doors and look inside. And locks just draw extra attention. "Hey, dude. What's with the lock?"

One of many reasons I chose a freezer. People think they know whats in there, they know they're not supposed to open it. If they try (never happened in 15 years) and find it locked, "Hey, Dude. IT'S THE LAW! It's a SAFETY ISSUE you MORON. That's why the lock is built in. Quit trying to steal my food!"

minigreens

haha good point freezerboy
another reason i want a fridge/freezer cab

there ahve been a couple nosey guests here but they werent close friends (gf's guests). and no one usually goes in the bedroom either, but i'de still want a lock just in case

messn'n'gommin'

ember
Veteran
I have never seen one up close but it looks to be made of plastic. If one could manufacture corresponding pieces made of aluminum or aluminum alloy, it may go a long way towards some peace of mind. But then again that is an old saying, "Locks aren't meant to keep out the dishonest. They are meant to keep out the honest." If it offers resistance, most won't press the issue physically. But if someone REALLY wants in, there is no lock in the world that can keep them out for long.

Last edited:
G

I've installed something similar in my cabinet. I still have to use the regular latches to keep it light-tight but they add an extra degree of security. Yea, if someone wanted to get in bad enough I'm sure they could be broken but as messn'n'gommin' pointed out locks only keep honest people honest. The set I got called for a 9/32 drill bit but I used a 1/4 as I didn't see 1/32 of an inch to be a good reason to buy a new bit. Oh and if you put more than one lock on a door make sure you get an extra key.

art

Helis

I use these...
"Tot Loks" work well on a wood cabinet, the nice thing is only you know where the magnet should be (though if you know that the magnet is what unlocks the door, it couldn't take long to "find" each lock)
I don't have handles on my cab doors so that's another added step. It's passed off as a storage cabinet. Haven't had many visitors and certainly no people prying at the doors but I might have to try doing that myself to see what sort of force they can hold. It's hard enough to open when it's unlocked, so I imagine it to be a nail-ripping good time trying to pull it open while locked.

Helis: how was the installation of the locks? could you take a look at my build(in my sig) and see if you think that the tot locks could be utilized? thanx bro. peace.

Helis

They came with an "installation guide" that wasn't very helpful/was sort of confusing to follow... YMMV. I ended up lining them up by hand. All it takes is putting a "catch" on the inside of the cab and the drill a hole for the lock in the door. The magnetic "sensor" (a metal pole sticking out of the lock) comes with extenders for deeper doors - up to ~1.5" probably and they work in doors as shallow as 0.5" (what I am using)
It looks like you could definitely find a place for them in your cab especially since you've gutted it and seem to be putting an internal frame in.
Check'em out, they're at Home Depot, but not in the lock/hinge/latch aisle (at least not at any around me) so ask an employee.

ScrubNinja

Grow like nobody is watching
Veteran
Can you use a regular magnet to open them? Does the proper key leave scratches after a while or does it have felt or something?