What's new

Magnesium deficiency - organic remedy?

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
RE: Brown Rice Bran

RE: Brown Rice Bran

neongreen

I just thought of something regarding bokashi bran. A batch of bokashi bran that I made using EM-1 (not AEM) I used organic rice bran from a bakery supply company.

I use it for fermenting produce and fertilizers (chicken manure, pig manure, etc.). I have also been adding about 1 cup to 5-gallons of soil.

So here was my thinking this morning - when you make the bokashi bran you're in effect making a dry 'fermented plant extract' (sort of), and I'm wondering if during this process the nutrients are pulled from the bran making it available immediately to the microbes in the soil once the bokashi bran begins to break down.

Regardless, the addition of bokashi bran is widely used and recommended for both agriculture as well a horticultural endeavors.

Just a thought.

CC

neongreen

Veteran
That's a great idea Coot, although I think, to get the full benefit of the nutrients in the bran they would have to be properly fermented.

It seems like a good way to inoculate soil, and provide slightly longer term supplies of nutrients when used as an amendment.

I'm still thinking of trying the BRF FPE, but It seems like a good idea to me to use the bokashi bran along with the BRF.

Do you think 1/2 cup of bokashi bran + 1/4 cup of BRF + 1.5l water + some lacto/EM-1 + tsp molasses could work for a fermentation?

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
neongreen

Properly made, bokashi bran is fermented.

The reason that this got my interest this morning (too many bowls of Jack Herer perhaps?) is the science behind making sourdough culture starters.

When a baker puts flours and water in the proper environment, the creation of lactobacillus takes place, i.e. fermentation. This is done by bakers to draw out the flavor and nutrients into the 'levain' and when the levain is used to create loaves of artisan breads, the flavor profile is off the chart as well as the nutrient levels.

This fermentation process is why one doesn't have to keep sourdough breads wrapped in plastic - by themselves they have a shelf-life of 7-10 days without benefit of refrigeration or using plastic wrap.

I'm not familiar with the term/acronym "BRF FPE" (I know the FPE part but not the BRF deal).

CC

neongreen

Veteran
My bad Coot. I have to read up on making bran/inoculating again!

BRF = brown rice flower

Interesting info on the sour dough, thanks.

What I really want to do is apply via folar feeding, and avoid the soil as much as possible. I already sprinkled a little lime and BRF anyway.

I suppose I could just crush up some bokashi bran and soak in water over night, filter and apply with sprayer to the leaves?

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
sort of sounds like you guys are talking about rejuvelac with the fermenting rice, or at least close to it.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
Jaykush

Yep - it's all related in more ways than I can grasp.

Weird science to be sure (i.e. how so many process of creating foods are related through lactobacillus).

CC

neongreen

Veteran
Interesting jay...

Rejuvelac is a general term for a fermented liquid used to improve digestion of food. Rejuvelac is prepared using whole wheat, rye, quinoa, oats, barley, millet, buckwheat, rice and other types of grain. Best results have been found using wheat, rye, and quinoa. Rejuvelac can be consumed as a digestive aid and used as a ‘starter’ for other fermented foods such as raw nut and seed sauces, cheeses, and Essene Breads. Rejuvelac contains eight of the B vitamins, vitamins E and K, and a variety of proteins, dextrines, carbohydrates, phosphates, saccharides and amylases. It is rich in enzymes that assist both digestion and the growth of friendly bacteria such as lactobacillus bifidus. Lactobacillus produces a lactic acid that helps your colon maintain its natural vitamin-producing facility.[1][2]

Rejuvelac is a raw food made by sprouting a grain and then soaking the sprouted grain in water for about two days at room temperature and then drinking the liquid. A second batch can be made from the same sprouts, this time requiring only about one day. A third batch is possible but the flavor may be disagreeable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rejuvelac

I have a few packets of alfalfa seed (bought for sprouting and eating). I should think that would be loaded with nutrients. Might have to do a little experimentation :D

Latest posts

Latest posts