What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mackerel and Dolphins

bilko

Well hello there guys im back with a nice bit of cod to start the numbers off went out on the boat today and done ok 10 keepers all over size and all over 2 and a half pounds so hopefully the boat is going to do better than my winter season as it was poor to say the least all our waters getting abused within 10 miles of the coastline of big trawlers and such making it a lot harder for the shore anglers and also the small inshore boats but done ok today hope it gets better anyhow time for supper stay safe you all .. View attachment 18715451
guess whos back bro alive and kicking nice catch there r is asking abouts

DARKSIDER

Official Seed Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nice to hear all,s well yeah spoke with r other half all good at that end cheers.:thank you:
Well just came back from early morning outing lots of dolphins around today will get photos of dolphins next time im out and plenty mackerel on the bottom of the seafloor but i targeted cod today and put a pot in whilst waiting for the fish to bite and had a friendly seagull for company, came up trumps after a 2 hour wait with 2 lobsters for the table, and 2 cod. The cod was rod caught so not bad for a couple of hours taken on squid time for breakfast now and a quick shower and a few of todays photos..
 (1).jpg
 (2).jpg
 (3).jpg
 (4).jpg

DARKSIDER

Official Seed Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well another decent fishing trip with company from nobody but the birds a nice peaceful days fishing was not far from shore to start with travelled a little up the coast today but ended going a little bit farther than planned so all in all an enjoyable day all fish more than above size, Time for a shower and a pint of fosters now looking forward to fresh cod tomorrow as getting a bit late now thats it till the next trip stay safe and sound guys...
cod1.jpg
cod2.jpg

Last edited:

DARKSIDER

Official Seed Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Back from another outing up at the crack of dawn today lovely morning heres a few photos of todays catch... threw lots back as to little but caught my first mackerel of the season and a big one too. also a pouting with todays catch, loads of whitings threw back but all in all a good mornings fishing 17 cod fetched home for freezer ...
20220618_040446.jpg
20220618_043156.jpg
20220618_100550.jpg

Last edited:

DARKSIDER

Official Seed Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Good fishing and better catching, @DARKSIDER . I met my nephew on the coast the other day for some surf fishing. We did plenty of fishing but catching was limited. A small blacktip shark, one whiting and a handful of small hardhead catfish.

View attachment 18723880
Nice to see you were out buzz and better you had a catch up with family, a blacktip shark well done(y) and yes thats the joys of fishing as you know limited at times mostly were im from :LOL:

DARKSIDER

Official Seed Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I made sure to explain the difference between fishing and catching before starting.
;)
He did very well for the first time in the surf.
Sounds like he will of enjoyed his first outing especially with the catch part (y)
Well im just back from a couple of hours out on the boat was hard work, but worth the time out since this time i had a few dolphins near me, caught a few pouting used them for bait to catch this ling and a few prawns from morrisons for the cod so not to bad but hot once the sun came out still not a lot of mackerel as of yet but a few days of sun will fetch them closer to shore i was around 7 miles out today not in photos sea turned a bit lumpy after a couple of hours so headed home for some scran anyhow heres todays photos including dolphins.;):tiphat:.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

DARKSIDER

Official Seed Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Back from another outing today
And not too bad caught a couple of coalfish and 8 cod.. 3 returned back to the sea ,as to small to keep ,a little lumpy but still a good outing
Heres todays photo for anyone looking in ;) Ps biggest weighed in at just under 7 pounds..
20220703_102209.jpg

DARKSIDER

Official Seed Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
some nice size fish you have i see not to many mackerel this year in photos i love them very tasty:shark:
Thanks for looking in my friend to be honest ive only been targetting cod but was out last night tea time for around an hour with the wife and caught twenty fish 18 mackerel one whiting and a horse mackerel so not too bad anyhow heres from the water to the plate curried mackerel with lots of spices and vegetables including rice very nice and tasty..
20220723_131132.jpg
20220723_151940.jpg

Last edited:

DARKSIDER

Official Seed Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well thats another few hours fishing started at 4.30am finished 8.30am and soaked through to the skin and thats wearing a floatation suit too and a jacket underneath heavens opened up today and was hard work to say the least but still caught a few 15 mackerel and 2 cod worth keeping and a lot of whiting thrown back as to small,, Big swells today coming from the north and at one time had to rely on my compass as the fog came in fast couldnt see a bloody thing, but soon as i could see land the fog vanished but still rain so early finish for today,. shower time then breakfast well heres todays photos and my freezer is nearly full to the brim with cod so cannot complain too much eh..!!
az.jpg

sneezydog

Good you had a compass! swells are bo joke... Its crazy to think all the technology that keeps working, motor, etc to keep a boat going.... Check it often for oil, etc. Ive had a motor fall right off while running... But its a thrill huh? getting that close to reality and really feeling it. compared to slipping past anothet car at 100 and feeling nothing... Love feeling small in the ocean...

Green Squall

Never heard of coalfish before, but looking it up, seems similar to pollock? Caught a couple small ones today, but threw them back. I'll be back at it tomorrow. Weather is looking sunny and hot all week, so it'll be prime fishing.

troutman

Seed Whore
Never heard of coalfish before, but looking it up, seems similar to pollock? Caught a couple small ones today, but threw them back. I'll be back at it tomorrow. Weather is looking sunny and hot all week, so it'll be prime fishing.

It's the same thing.

The saithe (Pollachius virens) is a species of marine fish in the Pollachius genus. Together with Pollachius pollachius,it is generally referred to in the United States as pollock. Other names include the Boston blue (separate from bluefish),coalfish/coley, and saithe in the UK, where the young fish are called podleys in Scotland and northern England.

DARKSIDER

Official Seed Tester
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well todays trip showed more mackerel being caught and a good few whiting kept and also a few cod to fetch home was uncomfortable to say the least with some big swells but worth the outing a couple of small haddock thrown back and a lot of under size cod went back too as well as whitings and fed the birds a few small fish too saves them stealing the bait from my bait table over all was a decent few hours but no ling today hopefully next trip we shall see wonder what the wifes cooking for dinner or tea today;)..EDITED FOR DINNER PHOTO YUM YUM.
20220805_173426.jpg
20220805_121154.jpg

Last edited:

sneezydog

ever try fishing jugs? how deep is it where you fish? is it legal for you to set a setline with a half to a dozen circle hooks all with a live bait, and a jug on either side? anchored down with a rock, with the set line about 40 feet above and branch lines of a smaller size coming off 20 feet to a circle hook....I have mostly fished single jugs but that is the deep set way....

sneezydog

but cod are deep... i remember catching them with huge jigs... That ling was a beautiful fish, i could imagine it hunting along and finding a live bait...

Latest posts

Latest posts