What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Maca and Ashwagandha for endurance

chilliwilli

Waterboy
Hi folks

I started to do sports over the last months and noticed a nice bump in endurance when i use 4.5g maca root powder and 0.5g ashwagandha root powder in my preworkout shake.
Right now i do 2100m swimming twice a week and try to add 300m every other week. And i go to the gym twice a week and try to do fullbody workout.
i trained with and without and it helped really good to overcome that newbie fatique i always had when i tried to incorporate sport in my life.
I tried both root powders seperate too and think they have a synergetic effect.
One downside is that if i use it daily and then stop i get a strong mood drop for one day. So i use it only when training 4 times a week.

Anyone else using that stuff?

Cuddles

yep. I´ve been taking maco for years. But I initially used it to sort out my hormones and treat my depression.
I´ve used ashwa too bit I can´t remember much of it, also, I used it for a different purpose at the time.

Another great supp for sports is cordyceps. A lot of athletes swear by it. I did notice a difference and I wasn´t even exercising at the time. It recall it did have an effect on the mind/brain too :)

I´ve been meaning to begin working out again too, either at home or the gym but I´m a little afraid to go there thanks to delta and omicron and the fact that people are soooo careless. :(

chilliwilli

Waterboy
Cuddles I noticed the positive effect on the mood too and also started for that reason. i'm now also more relaxed and get less stressed. Iirc maca acts on the endocannabinoid system and makes the anandamide work longer.
did u notice any bad side effects when u stop taking it?

I also notice the "other" effects of maca and feel like 17 again;). Do ladys get the same rejuvenating effects?

Starting sports was a very good desicion and i can highly recommend it. Better mood, more self-esteem and i like the canges i can see on my couch potatoe body:).

I understand your concernes, people are very careless these days but i can understand them after 2 years of the same shit. But i think with omicron we got lucky. In austria the numbers are rising but hospitalization is going down and less % need icu. I hope that now it becomes really "just a flu".

Cuddles

I also notice the "other" effects of maca and feel like 17 again;). Do ladys get the same rejuvenating effects?

If the `lack of interest´ was down to hormonal issues, then yes I suppose it can.
I recall reading an article back when I first researched maca online about Peru, which is where maco root comes from and where it´s part of the peoples diet. Apparantly the women don´t really experience menopausal problems and symptoms the way women in other parts of the world do. That´s because maca has influences the bodys hormones.
I noticed it´s effect first hand when I treated my depression using maca, so this article makes perfect sense to me :)
If only doctors would prescibe maca instead of anti deppressants (which don´t really work) or HRT there´d be a lot more happy people waling around!

The only negative effect I notic when I don´t take it for a while is that I get more down again and stuff. I seriously neglected my maca (and wheatgrass) intake last year and really noticed a difference. I had less energy etc.
This time of year always sucks for me because I get winter blues.
I had some WG and maca the other day and the following day I felt really great by comparison. True the weather was great for a change, but it the difference was remarkable.

Omicron is not as harmless as a lot of people seem to think imo. People have died from it. Plus I have a sensitive respiratory system :( so I need to be extra careful . Also the other variants are still out there too.

I really do need to work out again, if only for the sake of my back... (further weight loss would be nice too, lol ;) )

chilliwilli

Waterboy
Cuddles More interest sums it up nice. First i only thought it was a placebo because when i looked up maca online it was mostly advertised as aphrodisiac but the effect is dev there. The hormones getting in balance is a good explaination imo.

Storm Shadow thx i will look up tonkat ali.

Cuddles

I´ve seen it advetised as an aphrodisiac but it really isn´t . An aphrodisiac is someting rather different. I guess those ads are aimed at people who are getting older ie 45 + or even younger beccause the body produces less hormones. I´ve read reviews from men who complained that it didn´t`work ´ for them at all. This is presumably because their hormones are still okay -in other words those are young people.

Nice to hear you´re getting an obvious effect too, one way or another :)
You can take the rults further with damiana or even gotu kola but BEWARE - it takes maybe to weeks of daily consumption but when it kicks in... it really does kick in and it´s pretty constant :D both of these stimulate blood flow you see :)
But being `hot n bothered ´ whilst working out can be kinda irritating, right ;)
Maybe not that great for men, lol

chilliwilli

Waterboy
Thx i try not to drool to much when i'm in the gym or go swimmimg so no need to add more but i will keep that in mind;).
A little distraction can help sometimes. I bet the gym placed the stair master in front of the rowing machine on purpose to keep me motivated:tongue: