What's new

Lumigrow 330 es

Hash Patty

What is the effective light range for the es 330 for the flowering stage ? I have a 40" x 40" hydrohut and wondered if 1 es330 is optimal for that space ? And if so what should my distance from the canopy be ?:thank you:

Granger2

Veteran
I have no experience with LED's, I've been reading and researching them for a few months. I talked to a guy at Lumigrow who told me that for a 3x3, 4-90's would be best for even light distribution. I advise you to call them. Let us know what you find out. Good luck. -granger

Hash Patty

Well I already own the lumigrow and so far so good... It has been going for almost 2 months now. I started with 9 Mental Floss seedlings and 7 ak 48 seedlings. Two of each are female and were transplanted into 5 gallon dirt bags... The 4 of them and 3 papaya clones in 1 gallon air pots will all be going into day 1 of 12/12 in a couple days ! Just been playing with the light at different heights to see what happens... Gonna try to keep light 12 - 18 inches away. I am very excited to work with the lumigrow

medmaker420

The Aardvarks LED Grow Show
Veteran
got any pics? would love to see another led setup.

The easiest way to see what works best is by growing it out and see what your coverage is like with the plants you run. Too many variables just like with a 1k hps for example, some run it in an 8x8 and others run 1k's in 3x3's so what works best for one doesn't work best for all.

I do think that the width of the grow area is dependent on the lens angle and the height of your plants though. If you have some wider lenses ( unsure on what degree lens those run ) then you would be able to have a larger light footprint however you need to adjust the height of your plants accordingly.

Hash Patty

No pics as of yet... The ladies are in for 36 hours of darkness before the flip. I can get a few shots of them and the setup when they wake up... I can't wait to see what LEDs can do! Hopefully the stretch isn't to bad with these strains I'm working from seed... The papaya will be my measuring stick as I have done sog with her several times... Lets see what happens !

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have an ES330, and usually keep it around 12"-14" above the tops of the plants. I think that you are going to have trouble covering that much area on the sides of the tent exposed to the narrow sides of the fixture, if that makes sense. Two of them would probably be a great choice - after I got mine and had run it for a while, I was really intrigued by the idea of using four of the ES165's. I think that would give you the ideal light distribution. I have used a pair of PL-L lamps in addition to the ES330, with one on either side of the Lumigrow, and it worked well. They are very nice fixtures.

Last edited:

Hash Patty

Thanks rives... I would really like to add a second ES330 and have also considered the ES 165 for other reasons too. If anyone is thinking about the ES165 they better pull the trigger cause they will not be around for much longer. With the addition of their pro greenhouse series they are stopping production of the 165... They don't even offer them on their website anymore

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yes, I knew that they were obsoleting the 165's. I really like the equipment, but sometimes I have to question Lumigrow's marketing decisions. Like the Lumibar - if you studied the market for more than about 15 minutes, why would you build a 48" long fixture when the most common tents (120's) are 47" square?

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
Agreed. I would never buy one of the lumibar lights, but definitely an ES165 or ES330.

-Funk

oneshot

After using the 330 ES now for a month, I kind of wish I went with 2-3 165s instead. Running a 3x3' footprint but I want to light this tent up lol.

Keep goin

Yeah, Patty

As Rives said, NO WAY are you going to be satisfied with only that one fixture in a 40x40 space. I bought the ES 330 with the idea of "buy the best, you won't be disappointed".

I had already wet my beak with a cheapo Chinese rectangular panel that I used for veg. It barely covers my 18 gal rubbermaid bin that I use for veg. But I had some solid results that prompted me to try the Lumigrow. (After seemingly endless research and reading).

Bottom line I don't find the coverage of the Lumigrow to be that much different!!!? Very disappointing in that respect. I was trying to go for a 2' x 3' area of coverage...couldn't even really swing that. The 5w chips gave me good penetration and very intense light directly under the fixture...but incredible fall off about 2 to 3 inches(!!) from the unit. Not what I expected at all...!

I now use it for "sideshow" plants and summer grows. Definitely NOT up to the task of replacing my 600w HPS with an adjust-a-wing reflector. I would think I would need 4 to 6 smaller units to achieve that.

I am not afraid of that either, I think watt for watt might be necessary (or close to it). I definitely enjoy the growth under the led, the bud development is great, and the root development is notably improved. (All you nay sayers of the technology...whatever!) Try it you'll like it! Just don't under invest in the number of units.

I personally think the idea of manufacturers making 600w single panels (for instance) is counter intuitive to the technology. More smaller units is the move because there is no throw from even the "top of the line" Lumigrow.

Good Luck.

Hash Patty

I guess I was having delusions thinking the es330 would cover the 40x40 space... Or something like that :). Really I was intrigued by LEDs for the heat factor. I run a 600 hps in the same area and get great results but its not logical for me to run it all year thus I turned to the lumigrow for testing... Because no one wants to give up there favorite hobby due to hot weather !

The coverage could be better but on the other hand it doesn't take a full tent to keep me going because everything is for personal use. I Also like the root development and the study plants the lumigrow has produced so far... Can't wait to see the bud development over the next few weeks!

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I personally think the idea of manufacturers making 600w single panels (for instance) is counter intuitive to the technology. More smaller units is the move because there is no throw from even the "top of the line" Lumigrow.

This is absolutely the way to go. There is very minimal useable light spread, so multiple units are the way to go. That is why I found it so odd that Lumigrow was obsoleting the 165, but it had always been treated as the red-headed stepchild. I never did get why it's warranty was 3 years and the 330 was 5 - it uses the same components.

I would be very curious to try out four of the California Lightworks SolarFlares. It's too bad that the spectrum isn't adjustable like the Lumi's though.

Keep goin

Yeah Rives,

I was interested in the Cali Solar Flares as well. Do you really utilize the spectrum adjustment that much?? I find I pretty much "set it and forget it". I put it on full blast with both spectrum. If you adjust the spectrum, you are dropping power also (I think)!?

Therefore, I don't think that's much of a factor. The main thing about the Lumigrow that I liked, and the Cali lightworks products seem similar, is the heat sink. Top notch.

Otherwise, I'm also interested in the "cheepo" concept of something like the Pro Grow 180. 3w chip set, 150w of actual draw...hang 4 of them, or 2 surrounding my ES330 and be off to the races. I'm a bit hesitant with the common thin design (they all seem to be from the same place, literally, or at least design wise). Not nervous that they won't work, but in terms of longevity!?? But at 300 a piece it's a bit easier to swallow than the 1300 I spent on my ES330!!!

Let me know what you think.

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
KG, I usually use the adjustment pots either two or three times throughout the grow. The full-power setting is way more power than needed during vegging, and there is also far too much red in the spectrum at that point. As I transition into flowering, the ability to tweak the blue portion helps to control the strain-dependent variability of how much stretching is going to take place. After the stretch is done, there is far too much blue for the flowering process. This is basically the same concept as swapping from MH to HPS as you enter flowering, and a hell of a lot easier to accomplish.

Yes, the power does drop off as you adjust the settings. In fact, that is how I generally do the adjustments - I plug the ES330 into my Kill-a-watt and come up with the power ratio that I want.

The cheap fixtures don't really interest me because, without knowing which chips they are using, it is really hard to determine how much light you are actually going to get out of them. My preference is to supplement with PL-L lamps. I've got a pretty wide selection of them, they work well, and they are a hell of a lot cheaper than even the cheapo led fixtures.

Last edited:

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
do you mind going into a bit more detail on your settings for veg / early flower? I was thinking for the 325 : 4 red 10 white 10 blue for veg and 10 red 10 white 4 blue for a low stretch plant during early flower.

I can't help you with the number settings on the dial - I found the settings to be too coarse to be easily repeatable and somewhat non-linear, which is why I went to the wattmeter. During veg I was running around 110-120 watts, setting the blue first to @ 70, and then running the red up for the balance. During the first couple of weeks of flower, I worked up to @ 250 watts by maxing out the blue (about 77-78 watts), and then running the red up in a couple of steps over several days time. For flower, I maxed out the red and ran the blue up to where the total draw was around 300 watts. This gives roughly 10% blue (by wattage, anyhow) during flower. I know, I know, but I like to play!

From what you are saying, the 325 must be set up differently than the 330 - there are only two adjustments on the 330, the white is lumped in with the red.