What's new

lumatek super lumens

bootea

I'm pretty sure the lumatek dimmables draw the same ammount of current, even when "dimmed". (Still draws 1000w even at 50% output)

Can somebody with an ammeter confirm/deny?
I can't imagine the same current would be drawn to power the 600 watt bulb as the 1000 watt. The excess 400 watts not sent to the 600 bulb would have to be dissipated in the ballast making it much hotter. No advantage as far as cost of electricity either. Being digital I would think the pulse width of the power train sent to the bulb would be narrowed so the juice would be off longer than it was on per second so that less energy would be available but none wasted.

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
I now have three 600's lumateks and have yet to try this feature, being a newbie I'm not too worried about the bulbs but dont want to over work the ballast, trying to get at least a couple of grows outta them. I figure like all other equipment the harder you work them the sooner they fail. Is this the case with the limates? Also whats the average life expectancy of a ballast??

you should get more than few grows out of them...they have a 3 year warranty plus another 2 years prorated whatever that means....im buying Lumatek ballasts fully expecting them to last well past 2012...if they break im gonna cause a big stink about it. ive used cheaper non brand ballasts and hydrosun gear and its all worked pretty good for about 2 years now.

geekusa

I'm pretty sure the lumatek dimmables draw the same ammount of current, even when "dimmed". (Still draws 1000w even at 50% output)

Can somebody with an ammeter confirm/deny?

Incorrect. It lowers the power based upon the setting. Just call and ask them, that's what I did. :)

So if these ballasts are controllable from 50%-110%, why not just use a 1000w and run it wherever you want? Any reason to not just get a 1000w and run it at 600w? I'm helping a friend design right now, and I was debating between a 600w and a 1000w, mostly thinking the 1k would be a bit too hot in the summer for his setup. But with this ballast, he can have both?

Basically the opposite of the original question ;) instead of is 110% ok, is 50% really ok? That's not even off topic, that's reverse topic!

there shouldn't be any problems doing this, if you want a dimmable ballast watch out when you buy it, some of the new lumateks aren't dimmable, only switchable between settings. i ordered a 400w one off amazon.com, and it wasn't dimmable, but had a switch, 250W setting, 400W setting, and 400W SL which is 440 watts, which is where i run mine.

i ordered a 400w one off amazon.com, and it wasn't dimmable, but had a switch, 250W setting, 400W setting, and 400W SL which is 440 watts, which is where i run mine.

If it has a switch between 250w and 440w, it is dimmable. Some of the ballasts use watts on the selector, and some use %.

Lone Wolf

Veteran
So if these ballasts are controllable from 50%-110%, why not just use a 1000w and run it wherever you want? Any reason to not just get a 1000w and run it at 600w? I'm helping a friend design right now, and I was debating between a 600w and a 1000w, mostly thinking the 1k would be a bit too hot in the summer for his setup. But with this ballast, he can have both?

lol, HOW DARE YOU TRY AND USE THIS BALLAST FOR YOUR ROOM... PERHAPS YOU NEED TO PROPERLY VENTILATE YOUR ROOM... lolol
ACCORDING TO THIS NOOB BELOW, THATS THE ANSWER!!! this guy below me knows it aLLL!!!!!

he needs to step into the real world if you ask me... the world where everything is not perfect, and the world where there is more then just 1 answer to a question... cuz believe it or not denmaster, there ARE multiple solutions to most questions.....

....like the guy who would simply like to buy a ballast that runs at less heat at the turn of a knob instead of cutting holes in shit and buying fans and ductwork.... :rolleyes:....

but no, HOW DARE THAT GUY DO THAT!

and the thread WAS about the superlumens feature on the ballast, ... look at the thread title... soo-perr---loo-men---feee---tuurrreee------dont care about what the OP said, i care about the title, cuz the title is how this thread will most likely be searched in the future, and one who wants to know about the super lumens feature would probably like to hear about the idea of heat control... ya dig? im sure they would care to know about the OP's question as well, which has been answered... and 100 bucks says that this thread will continue FOREVER and be the main source for all of who like to know a big about Lumatek's SUPER LUMENS.... see right there, i typed a key word that will help this page get searched even more for all who DARE to search for it!

just MY HONEST OPINION
;)

...then you/they need to rethink their entire room and adapt proper ventilation to accomodate for the heat or go out and buy a bunch of LED lights....I could give a shit about money...never even mentioned anything about cash....everything works in balance and the thread was asking about the superlumens feature not about what lights to buy or how to work out heat issues...there are already forum threads for those...read before you write...as I wrote, any increase in wattage will increase your power bill and the lights will burn out faster - and AGAIN...JMO

the aforementioned quote was in response to my initial statement:

Lone Wolf said:
what about people who do not want to use 1k's because of heat concern, or the people who would rather keep their overall wattage down yet get more "light"?

it goes beyond just MONEY...

bugler

;)
So, seems like the ballast is A OK doing it, but what about spectrum at different settings? Does it change if you're running a 1k bulb at 600w? I woulda thought bulbs are designed to be used a certain power and might act very different if run higher/lower?

Just to be fully on topic, does the superlumens feature change the light spectrum either?

If it has a switch between 250w and 440w, it is dimmable. Some of the ballasts use watts on the selector, and some use %.
not exactly true, the dimmable ballasts have a knob that can be turned up and down much like a dimmer switch and can be ran at any setting providing the bulb can handle it. the switchable ballasts cannot be fine tuned and dialed to whatever you want, they can only be switched between the listed settings, i understand you can still use a 400W bulb at the 250W setting, but it is not the same as dimmable. some of the lumateks are truely dimmable, and some are switchable, there is a difference.

The "dimmable" lumatek's I've seen only have 4 settings with nothing in between. Which models have the infinite selector? Could it be an older model?

And just so we're clear. Lumatek refer's to "switchable" in relation to using HPS/MH, it has nothing to do with dimming. I know what you're saying, but I just want to clear that up for others because lumatek's wording is confusing.

There isn't a Lumatek with an infinite selector. You're correct, when they say switchable they mean HPS/MH or 120/240... when they say dimmable, they mean one of two variations... either 50, 75, 100% etc or on mine it jusy says 600, 750, 1000 and super lumens. If you had skills you might be able to hack the chip in the ballast and change allllll kinds of shit. But I don't know if I'd consider that a "good idea".

i believe what you are saying is true, especially after researching it further, but above i was repeating what the distributor told me. much of what he said didn't make sense anyway, but my above post is what i got from it. thanks for clearing it all up!

imadoofus

Veteran
puppies being malnurished, abused and tortured- then pitted against each other in a battle to the death!

carry on with the flamming!

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
:angrymod: Play nice people... Look, over there... puppies!

picture.php

Love my lumatek's bulbs never blow before they are switched out, however I have had some cord problems 10 - 15% of the time.

:joint:

Latest posts

Latest posts