What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Lumatek Digital ballast

hieagle420

Cannabis Creeper
Veteran
OG_Legion said:
Someone show me a 600W MH bulb.. Better yet show me a 600 MH ballast..

that a good one... LOL :pointlaug: the 400w digi ballast will do both without conversion bulb.. also asumming that when they get the 1000w out they will be able to light both too..

G

OG_Legion said:
Someone show me a 600W MH bulb.. Better yet show me a 600 MH ballast..

Exactly, you have to use a conversion bulb because there is no 600 watt MH bulb

Verite

My little pony.. my little pony
Veteran
Believe it or not theres some people out there that dont use any HPS and grow some pretty kick ass buds. :yoinks:

omega7

I started with all MH. Then I moved to both which is the way I had the best results(potency, not yeild. Although yeild was still better than just MH). Unfortunately I'm back to just HPS but soon enough I'll be running both again.

Swimmer

There is no 600 MH bulb because they are completely unnesessary. A good HPS grow bulb will out-veg a MH any day of the week. Try it sometime.

G

Q What is the difference between MH and HPS?

A Metal Halide HID lamps have a balanced light spectrum which offers the most natural light output. Metal Halide's balanced spectrum contains the common blue and red wavelengths needed by plants for the most rapid growth. Plants can be grown from start to finish using metal halide lighting systems. Metal Halide lighting promotes leaf growth.

High Pressure Sodium lamps are more efficient than Metal Halide, producing the highest number of lumens per watt - about 10-15% more than a Metal Halide bulb. HPS emits an orange/yellow color that is similar to the sun's spectrum in the mid day. This type of light promotes flower growth. However, the lack of blue spectrum light can sometimes make a plant stretch during the vegetative growth stage. HPS should be used as a supplemental light in your greenhouse or sunroom.

Using a Mh bulb during veg helps promote closer internodes, helping to result in more bud.

Verite

My little pony.. my little pony
Veteran
Heres some food for thought though, most people would agree that the same strain grown outside in full sun and ideal conditions will produce a more potent bud than its indoor sister. Most people would also agree theres some regions that seem to produce more potent buds like Jamaica, Hawaii, Nepal and mountian regions of Afghanistan. Heck even people from south cali can tell you what all that full sun does to a decent weed plant. While theres a few things that may be common to all they dont seem to add up to the potency increase difference when theres been at least a few indoor invironments that were probably able to dial in exactly the same way for everything minus the local barometric pressure or something.

Now whats the thing all those places have in common with full sun, thin atmosphere, equitorial regions, etc? My best guess is abundant amounts of UVb light. Theres also alot of science behind the nature of resin producing plants that use it as a defense mechanism to protect seeds from preditors or harsh light. Now whats the one wavelength you wont get any of with a HPS bulb? Pretty much the whole UV spectrum. HPS just isnt mfg to deliver that wavelength or pretty much most anything close to it. Theres lots of bulbs out there that will produce UV but tend to not work well for growing with the exception of the MH. The key part about the MH bulb that makes it different than an HPS is the gas arc tube in the center which can be doped with a number of different gases to produce different kelvin colored bulbs. Any standard MH ballast can run any of the different MH bulbs be it warm[yellowish], normal or cool[blue] in kelvin. Most all MH bulbs produce a lot of UVb rays.

If high amounts of UVb is responsible for more potent weed then it would stand to reason that continued use of HPS lamps in growing would be the equivalent to the evolutionary weakening of the species. No?

G

Ive always heard the best way to use lighting, if it's possible for you to do, is to run a 2 to 1 ratio.

If your running the veg stage then you should run 2 MH lights and 1 hps. If running flowering phase then you should run 2 hps and 1 MH.

This blend helps to cover all light spectrum needed by your plants during which ever phase of life.

omega7

Swimmer said:
There is no 600 MH bulb because they are completely unnesessary. A good HPS grow bulb will out-veg a MH any day of the week. Try it sometime.

Have you tried it? Just wondering if you have compared the 2 in your own garden, or was the statement just a 4th generation regurgitation from the underage OG nation.

Grant it any HID will have better results than flouros or cfl's (would add T5's but never used them and I dont want to assume). But theres a difference in vegging with MH vs HPS albeit a slight one. MH will give you the best spectrum for vegetative plant development. MH will give you stout bushy plants while in the same amount of time the HPS will give you a lankier, taller plant. I do agree that you will probably reach flowering height faster with the HPS because of the stretch the red spectrum causes. To some people this may not be a big deal as long as they have a healthy plant to put into flower, while others are more sticklers for natural condition recreation. So to say OUT_VEG I think is a bad choice of words. Personally I found the biggest difference between HPS and MH is during the flower cycle. MH buds are frostier, more potent and tastier IMO. LIke I stated before I have used MH alone, HPS alone, and both to flower out plants. I personally like the results of the mixed spectrum and prefer to veg plants with MH (even thought Im using fluros and large CFL's to veg now for running cost reasons). The best way to veg strong plants is in a hydro set up under a HID, preferably MH. It can be argued all day long, but hydro with a HID will blow any other growth out of the water. I have never seen growth and strength like I do with that combo. Of course for taste Organic soil cant be beaten, at least thats what i have found. So basically what Im saying with this wake and bake ramble is that it all personal preference.

G

What does 'digital' stands for? What is this some kind of new technology? :yoinks:

Thanks! :wave:

Peace and love,
Agnes

Last edited:
G

Digital ballasts are the new breed of ballasts, they replace todays core and coil ballasts. This is a little information on the digital ballast -

Digital Ballasts are the biggest advancement in horticultural lighting to date. Typical "core and coil" ballasts are heavy, noisy, and produce excess heat; causing HID's to fluctuate and flutter in brightness and color. The more efficient digital ballast operates on a higher frequency allowing it to more easily excite the internal gasses of HID lamps which creates additional light while using less power. The Lumatek Digital ballast utilizes "Soft Start Technology", which eliminates lamp "shock", and can help the HID lamp last a lot longer. Over time, magnetic ballasts become louder, produce less light, emit more heat and use more electricity. Electronic ballasts maintain their efficiency throughout their life span. The digital circuitry consistently burns the lamp at optimal temperatures offering the double benefit of producing higher levels of usable light while virtually eliminating the lumen degradation caused by "spikes" associated with traditional ballasts. Test data has shown that a 600 watt digital ballast produces only 5% less usable light than a 1000 watt "core and coil" ballast. The Digital Revolution is Here.

-Completely silent. Leave the humming and buzzing behind.
-Small compact design. Under 10 pounds.
-Fast start up. Reaches full brightness in under 1 minute.
-Produces less heat. Helps to reduce temp. in your grow room.
-Cut-off circuitry. automatically shuts off in case of a short.
-Efficient. uses less electricity than standard "core and coil" ballasts.
-NO FANS. Resin sealed industrial case ensures reliability.
-Longer bulb life. Soft start technology.
-Broader light spectrum. Output spectrum 8% higher.
-More Lumens. 20-30% more lumens than standard core and coil ballasts

G

WOW I NEED TO GET MY HANDS ON THIS!!

I need it in EU for 240v...

Peace and love,
Agnes

G

I've been checking them out- has anyone actually bought and used these digital ballasts? Are they worth the money? Do they live up to their claims? Would you purchase one again (or recommend someone else buy them)??

G

If you look at the first page of this thread you will see -

HappyHempHog
Sonoma
Mybeans420 (240 volt version)

are all currently using these ballasts. - Cough

Last edited:

Rellikbuzz

Agnes said:
What does 'digital' stands for? What is this some kind of new technology? :yoinks:

Thanks! :wave:

Peace and love,
Agnes

Digital ballasts are relatively new technology for Horticultural lighting, true. However, they have been used for years in commercial aquarium lighting and for lighting reptile exhibits at zoos and such. They are, in every way, superior to traditional magnetic ballasts. The problem is that you will pay through the nose for them at hydro stores or online hydro supplies.

A little-known fact is that ANY commercial lighting supplier (not hydroponic stores) will offer several manufacturers of digital/electronic ballast, including Lumatek, for significantly less than what the hydro stores get. Also, it's a lot more "low key" to do business with a commercial lighting supply as opposed to the hydro store as well. You will have to connect your own mogul but you would have to do this anyway to make sure it works with whatever reflector you choose to use. Anyway, just a little tip from someone in construction. :wave:

HiKing808

all i can say is GET one! i've been running mine for a while and it works great! much smaller and lighter (can lift it up with one hand and toss it up and down, try doing that with the coil ballasts) than my old ballast and way cooler.

i have a 600 by lumatek and i also don't get any interference with my tv, radio, or wireless internet, the way some rumors stated. i can't vouch for everyone whos bought one of these things but mine works wonders especially for all those cab growers who don't have anywhere to put their 30 lb hot ass ballast.

i don't know if it really does save money on the electric bill (elec included for me) but to me i don't really care a few dollars here and there i could care less, and as for the added price, well the way i look at it, i think it's around 70 dollars more than the base coil ballasts, but check this out:
price for a 600w sunsystem light w cooltube: $464 INCLUDING SHIPPING
price for a 600w lumatek digital w cooltube: $500 INCLUDING SHIPPING

when you pencil in the price for shipping because the digital is soooooo much smaller and lighter it only adds up to 36 dollars more!!!!!! (this may vary depending on where you are of course)

no humming, almost instant ignition, i dont know, bottom line its up to you but i think their worth the measly extra $36.

good luck oh by the way i have't tried or heard of anyone trying the 1000w so cant say anything about that one only experience with lumatek 600

Rellikbuzz said:

A little-known fact is that ANY commercial lighting supplier (not hydroponic stores) will offer several manufacturers of digital/electronic ballast, including Lumatek, for significantly less than what the hydro stores get.

Any supplier? I bet you can't name three that supply HID/electronic.

burnt out og'er
Veteran
I totally agree with Omega7, regarding using MH for the best vegetative growth results. :yes:

Now about these digitals ...
When they first hit the scene, there were alot of digitals failing to work after a very short time. Some companies (such as alternative garden supply) even had "buyer beware" disclaimers in their catalogs regarding the undependable nature of digitals, because of the high numbers of digitals being returned, and the many unsatified customers. (even though alt garden supply still sells both standard and digitals)

Has anyone had any troubles with their current digitals, or ealier versions ?
Is there any real difference between whats available now in digitals and the first digitals ?

I have to say, that from my point of view as a mod with several years experience looking at mj website threads...
THIS THREAD thread does look like a digital ballast sales spam session.

So without stepping on anyones toes, lets hear ALL sides of the digital ballast story?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts