What's new

Lowland landraces

El Timbo

Which landraces grow at or close to sea level? Not sure how much of a difference it would make but I grow at sea level so I thought it might be a good place to start looking...

Breadwizard

I've been on this search as well, for 35 N, less than a mile fron the ocean, so very foggy.

I'm ending up doing my own crosses of heirloom and landrace strains, as there doesn't appear to be much in the way of landrace or near landrace that does well in this microclimate.

Currently creating the first test batches of the following:

Nepjam (ace) x Syria (RSC)
First Lady (original deli) x Syria

I plan on grabbing some more local (ish) heirlooms to try and get the resistance to mold up, such as the Big Sir Holy Weed, but it's a continuing process of gathering.

420empire

Veteran
Danish strains No doubt. Ether from hybrids from Hell og some other Danish sites. Remember Denmark have max 50-100 km to the Ocean All over the country. Would be a guess. Otherwise maybe look into autos ? ;)

El Timbo

Thanks for your replies folks - I don't get much fog and I get mild temps throughout the year and I generally prefer sativas... I was thinking something from Southern Africa or Northern Mexico.

AbuKeif

Maybe one of those landraces from a small island--Trinidad, Réunion, Athina from Greece?

It is interesting, isn't it, to notice that so many of the landraces available (at least to consumers like me who aren't mounting our own seed-hunting expeditions to Mauritius or Siberia) seem to come from 'highland' areas? I find myself wondering whether it has more to do with climactic conditions at higher altitudes somehow being especially hospitable to cannabis in its less-inbred forms, or whether the last century of government-sponsored eradication initiatives have just been more effective at wiping out the germplasm of hills and valleys vs. the stuff hidden up in the hills. There's a reason that moonshiners, rebels, and renegades like to set up shop in places with rugged terrain...

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
Plants are adaptable you can grow high land lines close to sea level the problems start when say you grow heavy indica type lines in humid conditions.If you like sativas saucing good quality pure lines will be a quest. I would even consider haze hybrids or even lines like Kali Mist from Simon.

ngakpa

Veteran
Indicas can perform fine in humid conditions

there are Afghan heirlooms run in Hawaii

Green has a report of a pure Chitrali landrace go with zero mold in the Hawaiian

recent reports of a Syrian that did fine on an island in the New England coast

there are lines like Friesland etc. etc.

also, all Himalayan landraces handle damp fine, though they're more 'Sativa' in morphology

bottom line, if you're working from scratch, just start with a sufficiently biodiverse population, with plenty of adaptive variation

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
Indicas can perform fine in humid conditions

there are Afghan heirlooms run in Hawaii

Green has a report of a pure Chitrali landrace go with zero mold in the Hawaiian

recent reports of a Syrian that did fine on an island in the New England coast

there are lines like Friesland etc. etc.

also, all Himalayan landraces handle damp fine, though they're more 'Sativa' in morphology

bottom line, if you're working from scratch, just start with a sufficiently biodiverse population, with plenty of adaptive variation

Hi ngakpa i know Hawaii has Afghani lines i was gifted some but coming from a place were humidity is common place in summer many indicas dont do that well some do yes.Hawaiians also hybridized the afghani lines to sativas and they were the strains many still talk about.

Hempy McNoodle

You can also try pruning for a greater quantity of smaller colas'. The bigger and denser the colas the more risk of botrytis. This is what I do indoors. I think it might be helpful outdoors as well.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Honduran. These grow on Roatan island. I muled the seeds in my granola bars. lol

I grew a couple this year. Hard to grow locally here at 45n. I had to put them in a custom soil as seedlings then in a semi swampy forest with fern undergrowth. Because I had trouble keeping the seedlings to live past a week or two, these went in late. About end of june-mid july.

picture.php

picture.php

Ace sells Honduran and I'm pretty sure they're sea level.

ngakpa

Veteran
imo, the whole idea that there are specific lowland and highland strains is doubtful... it's not a reliable category

there certainly aren't lowland and highland Hindu Kush strains, for example...

and as it is, Cannabis evolved in mountains

it's always going to adapt fine wherever

don't get me wrong, there are specific types of strain grown in the Himalaya (multipurpose fibre, seed, charas types) or in the SE Asian highlands (Chinese hemp) - but this is about the cultural needs of the growers

most of the time, like in Laos, ganja crops just get grown wherever is convenient, highland or lowland

I'm with Tycho, I too grew a couple Honduras plants this year, one is still up, but finished, and it is around 13 weeks into flowering which is fantastic for a Landrace sativa, and the high is beautiful.

CannaZen

even so called semi-auto flower plants were quite late here where i am, about a month and a half. Some auto really late but still flower in time. Nothin wrong tbh its the future. Also grew a single seed, deep root kush heritage i mean the densest, shortest compact nodes grew about 12" were about completely thick buds, eucalyptus aroma. havent come across anything like it since wish i saved a clone totally worth it.

therevverend

Veteran
A lot of lowland vs highland talk is advertising. The terms originally came about to describe Columbian strains in the 1970s. Thailand is another place the terms might have been relevant. Areas that there's a difference between strains grown in the low lying farmland in the river valleys as opposed to the strains grown up in the hills by ethnic minorities. In very general terms the highland types were adapted to slightly drier conditions, shorter flowering times, and greater temperature variation.

The vast majority of cannabis is grown at or near sea level, out of necessity because that's where most people live. Local climactic conditions and latitude are the most important factors, more so then elevation. Generally the wetter and cooler it is during late flowering the more problems you'll run into. If you're worried about humidity, Oaxacan Mexican strains have shown maybe the best resistance to mold I've seen. Although they don't do as well against mildew. I would avoid most Afghani varieties if you expect a lot of wet weather around harvest. They're great for reducing flowering time, have a good plant structure, and increase yield but can get hammered by windy rainy conditions. While tropical varieties often have strong resistance against mold, at northern latitudes their late finishing time can cause all sorts of problems. The weakest area in current cannabis breeding is fast finishing strains that tolerate stormy weather at harvest time.

One other thing I'd add, a week or two can make a world of difference at harvest time. If I had to choose between a strain that has terrible mold resistance but finishes in mid September or a strain with medium resistance that finishes in early October. I'd always choose the mid September finisher. Since my summer ends so quickly. I can expect warm dry weather through much of September while early October is usually brutal. These small seasonal variations are crucial when you're planning a grow.

Emperortaima

Namekian resident/farmer
I have some seeds labeled Guatemala Lowland "Valley Girl" does anybody have any idea what may be inside those beans?