What's new

Low odor/good yield for tiny space

Smoke68

Benji is correct on air temps lower in wind...
Think about something you hear everyday on the news. There is air temp and then a WIND CHILL FACTOR. As air travels over a surface, it draws the heat radiating off of the object's surface.

jawnroot

You guys are misunderstanding me. I'll spell it out for you...

Let's say you have a room, and the ambient temperature in that room is 70*F. Within that room, you build your cab. The intake of your cab is drawing air from the room. So, the intake temperature of your air is 70*F. No amount of airflow will change the fact that the baseline intake temp is 70*F.

The "wind chill factor" you refer to is only applicable to the air inside the cab. Indeed, the whole purpose of having a lot of airflow is to wick away the heat produced from the equipment running inside the cab (ie: to introduce a "wind chill factor").

However, there is no way, short of defying physics, that the temps inside the cab will become lower than your intake air temperature. It's simple thermodynamics. Without some form of heat exchanger, like what you'd find in an air conditioner, the temps in the cab, at best, will be the same as the intake air temperature (ie: 70*F in this case).

I'd go into how moving air with a fan causes friction, and actually raises temps ever so slightly over ambient, but I don't want to confuse you.

Last edited:
Actually, as a physicist, I can assure you jawnroot is right... The wind chill factor is real, but you can't actually cool the air inside with a gust of wind going through it. You can however, keep your plants from burning or heating as much by dissipating more heat if you place a fan that blows air across it (more air to grab the heat = less heat buildup).

Friom Wikipedia: "Wind chill is the apparent temperature felt on exposed skin". It's the same with humans, more wind blowing across our skin cools us better, but the air is still the same temperature. You can for example not freeze water by using wind chill, you can however cool it much faster, but only down to ambient temps.

Smoke68

jawnroot said:
You guys are misunderstanding me. I'll spell it out for you...

Let's say you have a room, and the ambient temperature in that room is 70*F. Within that room, you build your cab. The intake of your cab is drawing air from the room. So, the intake temperature of your air is 70*F. No amount of airflow will change the fact that the baseline intake temp is 70*F.

The "wind chill factor" you refer to is only applicable to the air inside the cab. Indeed, the whole purpose of having a lot of airflow is to wick away the heat produced from the equipment running inside the cab (ie: to introduce a "wind chill factor").

However, there is no way, short of defying physics, that the temps inside the cab will become lower than your intake air temperature. It's simple thermodynamics. Without some form of heat exchanger, like what you'd find in an air conditioner, the temps in the cab, at best, will be the same as the intake air temperature (ie: 70*F in this case).

I'd go into how moving air with a fan causes friction, and actually raises temps ever so slightly over ambient, but I don't want to confuse you.
LOL! :laughing: Ya know, I am not even gonna respond to your childish and immature statement.

Thank you Mr.interested. It makes sense, I had just not put it into that perspective. I always assumed that mother nature worked that way. But after taking a scientific standpoint, I see where I was miss informed.
Ive got a question for you though Mr.interested. Does a box, sitting in a corner, with zero airflow, have a lower temperature than ambient air temps?

jawnroot

Smoke68 said:
Ive got a question for you though Mr.interested. Does a box, sitting in a corner, with zero airflow, have a lower temperature than ambient air temps?

Depends on a lot of factors. If said box was running HID equipment, then the temps would be WAY over ambient. If it was just an empty box, the temps would be around the same as ambient.

And smoke, I'm sorry you took it the wrong way, but Benji was needling me this whole thread, and then you came in with your caps-lock key. Don't antagonize me, I was rightfully irritated. If you have grow related questions, I'm happy to field them. Otherwise, take the net speak and taunting smiles elsewhere.

Nicol Bolas said:
...and as for the 'Sea of Green' plan, I just want to buy one strain of the highest quality - price is no object, but I just want to buy one great pack and start all ten, cut down to all females so maybe six plants in that small a space if I can swing that? I'm leaning towards sensi northern lights - will a pack of that grow at the same rate all the females? need to keep even.

I say pick,whatever u like,indca of course.Veg for a week,to get some roots.Stat flowering them.They will show sex at around day 30 or so.Then go from there.Be very easy on nutes.Let them flower.I have grown aroun 25 12-12 from seed and got small plants,decent yields,none of my plants have been above 16in,and only way i ever smell them is if i rub them.Witch i try to to touch so.Just do not get no skunk plants stuff like that.Hope this helps with ur setup.

Bubble Gum Hybrid=1/4 dry maybe more

J-uana
:joint:

BENJI

Between the Devil and the deep blue sea...
ICMag Donor
Veteran
jawnroot i apoligise 4 needling u and causing u to be irritated as i said before i never intented to disrespect you, because everyone is entitled to their opinion and we are here to help each other not argue i will leave it at that..
the best logical answer to this thread about smell is to get a carbon filter and decent fan and all your smell problems will dissapear also buy any indica strain as they dont strech much when put into 12/12 hope this helps...

Last edited:
Smoke68 said:

A box will gradually acquire ambient temperature, depending on how well insulated it is. If you have a light in there or any other type of electrical unit that uses power (fans, bubbler, ballast, etc.) the heat will rise above ambient, to a specific point, but to show calculations for that I'd need to go into the heat capacity of air as a function of humidity and the throughput of air depending on Bernoulli's law of pressure and flow... but I'm baked so that's not gonna happen... stick a thermometer in there, if it goes above 82°F you need a bigger fan

Sorry, I just find it soooo fun to mess with people's heads with physics, it's so much fun :smoke: