What's new

Low delivery Humidifier option

Ca++

Reduced 50% to £22, this Argos hummer was the only thing I considered buying
iu

250ml max per hour, but in use, the minimum must be near 150ml. Importantly, it would empty in under 24 hours. Which just seems a bad place to start from.

So, I cracked it open, cut the wires to the knob, and now I'm approaching 6.5 hours on 500ml of water. It holds 3200ml. The cone of mist still climbs a couple of feet visibly.
Oh.. it just coughed out at 6.5 hours. That's an easy day and a half.

Now I didn't just hack it, though you could. Instead I saw no use for the rear mains switch. I chopped that out, and put it in line with the VR, so I can switch between standard or extended. Both are on cables, not straight to a board. So It's just moving wires about. I won't say how, as asking means you shouldn't do it.
The VR is 4.8K and increasing resistance turned it down. I see no reason this VR (pot) couldn't be changed, or a fixed resistor put in line. I just couldn't find my resistors? which the repurposed power switch could short out. Giving a high and low range.

The VR actually plugs to the board, so switching to low, then changing your mind, need not incur any damage.

Ca++

So.. found the resistors, under a hat.
4.7K pot provided by the device, gives 250ml/h down to about 140ml/h
I have fitted a further 4.7K in series, using the repurposed power switch to short it out.
With the switch, the pot starts from that guestimated 140ml/h and goes lower. I have it on it's lowest, using 66ml/h which with it's 3.2L tank, is 48.5 hours. It will do 24 hours, plus a couple of hours late, without filling it perfectly. Or, brim the tank, and fill the 82ml base, to push for 48/49 hours.

Some of you may think swapping the 4.7K pot for a 10K better. It might be. It's less work, and you keep the useless power switch. However, this pot used is for this difficult task. I have controls on lights, that are near useless due to corrosion. I was happy to keep the provided one, and move the power wires, to accommodate a fixed resistor solution. Which is basically cost free.

Latest posts

Latest posts