What's new

lost ALL the flavor/odor, why?

stj2006

I'm gonna say it's pheno related seems as they were run from seed. The seeds will have many different traits from it's parents and they will all exhibit them selves in different ways. Smell, stature, frost etc can all be different when using seed stock. If you want uniformity and a guaranteed type of smell/high etc then take clones and run those, that way every plant will exhibit the same traits.
Good luck on your next foray!!

St Jimi

303hydro

senior primate of the 303 cornbread mafia
Veteran
You said they were from seeds not clones.

What makes you think that one pheno will have the same smell as another pheno?

Different seeds have different characteristics.

images

Mr. Greengenes

Re-incarnated Senior Member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If it's seedlings we're talking about, then that's the problem right there; plant hay, harvest hay. There is no such thing as 'clone degradation' BTW, but that has been thoroughly covered in other threads.

That said, bad drying is the most common cause of loss of flavor and smell (of a known quality clone). Thanks to an incompetent but much read writer on cannabis, chopping fan leaves at harvest time is a fairly common practice. It's also the first step in reducing smell, taste and possibly weight of the final bud. Leave those fan leaves ON. They slow the drying and contain many water soluable compounds that contribute to the final smell and flavor.

Another old and harmful trend in it's death rattles is extreme close cropping of interfloral leaflets, which results in what some uninformed ppl think of as 'bag appeal'. There are many 'sativa' leaning cuts that depend on a certain percentage of those 'sugary' interfloral leaflets being left in there for the whole flavor profile to come out.

With known genetics, slow drying of completely intact plants and skilled manicuring methods will bring out the best flavors and smells.

jm420

Veteran
If it's seedlings we're talking about, then that's the problem right there; plant hay, harvest hay. There is no such thing as 'clone degradation' BTW, but that has been thoroughly covered in other threads.

That said, bad drying is the most common cause of loss of flavor and smell (of a known quality clone). Thanks to an incompetent but much read writer on cannabis, chopping fan leaves at harvest time is a fairly common practice. It's also the first step in reducing smell, taste and possibly weight of the final bud. Leave those fan leaves ON. They slow the drying and contain many water soluable compounds that contribute to the final smell and flavor.

Another old and harmful trend in it's death rattles is extreme close cropping of interfloral leaflets, which results in what some uninformed ppl think of as 'bag appeal'. There are many 'sativa' leaning cuts that depend on a certain percentage of those 'sugary' interfloral leaflets being left in there for the whole flavor profile to come out.

With known genetics, slow drying of completely intact plants and skilled manicuring methods will bring out the best flavors and smells.
exactly .The first line sums up DP in general

Greenheart

Veteran
Life experience has taught me to take 2 cuttings off of any new plant before I put it into bloom.

My 3rd ever plant. Oh how I miss you.

Your buds were like hash.
Ever increasing the high.
I regret no more stash.
This fool says goodbye.

:plant grow:

Sorry for your loss. Just keep planting beans and obtaining clones until you find those special one that you crave and graft them onto your moms.

thinkin

considering...

considering...

Past few months, I have been working on increasing smell=taste.
Cure is critical. If you start with low smell, plants are already at a disadvantage.

Given:
more carbon in the filter...
presuming you are using the same fan

You probably reduced the ventilation (turn over) significantly.

UP the fan CFMs or lose the extra carbon.

IMHO
a stinky grow is a good grow.
a downright unbearable reeking pungent grow is the path to super dank.

fonzee

Weed Cannasaur
Veteran
1. Might got over-dried.
2. 60% trichomes still clear is premature harvest. Leave it 2-3 more weeks and you'll get much more smell and taste, and they get more complex.
I harvest my indica's at 40% amber 60% cloudy and my sativa's at 15-20% amber.

now im confused

now im confused

1. Might got over-dried.
2. 60% trichomes still clear is premature harvest. Leave it 2-3 more weeks and you'll get much more smell and taste, and they get more complex.
I harvest my indica's at 40% amber 60% cloudy and my sativa's at 15-20% amber.

ok, im confused. i always thought trichomes went from...

cloudy to clear to amber

cloudy= premature??
clear=mature??
amber= past mature??

the loss of odor and potency could be a number of issues.

I've had issues like you are speaking of...one run the taste and smell were almost obsolete...went back and fine tuned my process and got my runs back on track.

the PH to the PPM's all play a part in excellent tasting and super potent herb...maybe a starting point for your friend.

I'm guessing something somewhere along the way just wasnt the same as before...or the bud would be just like before.

just my thoughts man...

yeah I sorta was thinking the same, ph was lowered on the second run, ppm was increased, and plants where let go with little water the last 2wks after flush.
had 10 fem seeds, the first run of 2 had good pine flavor
then the second run of 5 had no pine flavor at all, in any!
3 beans did not pop at all
sorta hard to believe that it was pheno related.
first two grew and looked just like second 5 showing two phenos

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
you dried the buds too fast, they need to slowly dry at the end in order to get the flavor and all that jazz. dry till almost crispy, put in jar check once or twice a week. after like 2-3 weeks you should have smell all over the fucking place.