What's new

looks dry but is not?

A6D9

Ok aparently...I'm really good at growing in veg but not flower.

I've had 2 big plants that after I put them in the flower room simply dry up. the soil is damp and waterd regularly...and the foliage is sprayed every day with simple water.

but yet all my flower plants tend to have their leaves simply look like they are wilting and eventualy fall off and the whole plant will die and turn crispy.

i only have a 400 watt HPS, the ambiant temp is quiote low and the plants have this really ritch green color..no browing or yellowing at all. soil is allways damp to the touch...

it almost looks like the plants are simply not uptaking any water once i put them in flower.

any ideas? is it nurte lock? i user technoflower solutions...and follow the recepi right down to a tee.

I currently have an afgani clone in there for 3 weeks and it's still lush and green just the leaves are starting to wilt down as the others have...and I want to fix this...

any advice..wish i could get a picture..but not able to now.

BTW...I'm Medical..and indoor in soil 400 HPS think that the important info needed.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Why are you keeping your soil damp all the time.
Check PH,PPM. Soil should be 6.5 PH keep the PPM lower 6-700. What Kind of soil

A6D9

i got it form a nursery in a bag...promix i think....and i try to water till wet and then let it dry till it is crumbly...but sometimes it tkaes forever...so i simply add a tiny bit to be sure all is well...

you think it's too wet and it's just not dryign out?

i did just replant before i put it in flower room...and never waterd it sicne then..as i wanted it to really dry out..this is in a very damp basement ona shelf about 4 feet off the ground...but it is damp and humid in there....how could i help dry the soil out then to let her pcik up?

as for PH i forget what it is...but it is in the safe zone for flowering stage...and the ppm well it is well water with the nutes from the recipe....never got it tested..but all my other plants grow fine and have no problem flowering...lol

hmmm...i really thank you for your advice..now to find a way to help dry the soil out....any ideas?

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Letting the Soil dry out is very important. There must be air at the roots. I water till I have run off then I dont need to water for at least 2 days. The larger the plant gets the sooner the watering intervals will be.

You have got to get the necessary tools to grow properly. When you have done it for long enough some folks can get away with out them but most need them. Get a pH pen $20$ if your giving them to hot a mix the will burn and lockout. You have to know the pH. ppm is not always needed to monitor if you follow the mixing directions but the PH has to be known for the plant to uptake the nutrients.

Get a fan in there that will help in more the one area . Temps should be in the 75f range lights on you can go up to 80f.

Pics would really help

I think you have a PH lockout issue.

BudGood

"Be shapeless, formless, like water..."
Veteran
Do you have adequate air movement? Sounds like you need to install a larger fan (or install one period) for your exhaust. Plants need fresh air, once they deplete all the CO2 in the air, they'll stop growing.

Zen Master

Cannasseur
Veteran
why are you spraying the leafs with water?

probably burnin em up with water droplets acting as lil magnifying glasses.

and yeah you know the pH is in an acceptable range for flowering, but dont know what pH it actually is? I'm confused there. pH is very important.

A6D9

i'm at work now so don;t knwo the ph off hand..but i used those strips of paper you dip in the water/solution and it gives me a color and i compare it to a chart to see that I"m in the zone.

i do have a fan...and you say you water and approx 2 days..i can water it with very little water and it stayes damp for at least 2-3 weeks before it even goes dry....

as for spraying the leaves..i was told to do that to help show them love from a hippy and he says it helps them feel special and grow..and when in veg..it helps me allot..lol

again leafs all look very healthy and lush...

when you have ph lock...what are the symptoms..i tried to research but simply cannot udnerstand what they mean.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
you do have holes in the bottom of your container?? Not possible for a plant to stay wet that long with no water unless there is no drainage or there is no Perlite in the soil to help with drainage and aeration .

If you have Lockout the leaves will start to turn Yellow you could See Mineral deficiencies

A6D9

I'll measure tonight my solution...and find out....and yes i drilled 6 holes in the bottom of the pot.

also norma yi was just using the soil..but when i transplanted to the biggest 5 gallon pots...i added a bit of ver or perlite forget withch one...it;s the one that helps retain air and not water.

BudGood

Veteran
Do you have an EXHAUST fan, or an OSCILLATING fan? You need to exhaust that basement. What kind of fan do you have?

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Vermiculite IMO is not needed some use it I dont . Perlite is white most mixes will have it but there are many that dont.

A6D9

i just have a little desk fan that is maybe 6-8 inches...and the room is simply paper hanign from the ceiling to the floor..plenty of room for the air to move all over..being in the an unfinished basement i simply put it in a corner of the room wheer no windows are and i simply never go down at dark times..so it is dark and almost all open.....

i do have a compressor and tank for air...could i simply spray the soil from the bottom holes to force air into the bottom fo the soil?

BudGood

Veteran
BINGO! That is your problem, you need an EXHAUST fan. Thats why your plant is having problems, you need to replace the air in the room a few times per hour. Time to start reading up!

A6D9

sweet thanx...I"ll try to add a bigger fan..do i blow directly ont eh plant or just in the room..the room is only 4 feet by 4 feet inside the suspended walls...and the rest of the room outside of that 4x4 section is 40x30...I'f of thought it had enought air...:S

diggdugg

Do you have FRESH air coming into the 4x4 room and OLD air blowing out of the 4 x4 room?
CO2 is what plants need to breath. If no FRESH air is being introduced then they use up the CO2 and suffacate.

Maj.Cottonmouth

We are Farmers
Veteran
I think you are missing an important distinction. You need regular fans to circulate the air around the grow room but you will also need an inline exhaust fan that will pull ALL of the air out of the grow room and blow it into the attic or outside. If you are just using circulation fans then air in the room is not being exchanged just pushed around. You will also need to get a carbon scrubber so that your exhausted air does not smell like weed.

why are you spraying the leafs with water?

probably burnin em up with water droplets acting as lil magnifying glasses.

There is really no reason to spray your plants, especially in flowering. And even more so if you have humidity issues. But the "magnifying glass effect" is a myth. If it were true, then every time it rained and then became sunny all outdoor crops would burn and die.

A6D9

thanx for all the info i really do appreciate it all...I'm goign to put soem fans down there..and also maybe put a glass of vinegeer and baking soda to put a bit of CO2 in the air near the plant...just to hopefuly jump start it....thanx for all the info..:)

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
thanx for all the info i really do appreciate it all...I'm goign to put soem fans down there..and also maybe put a glass of vinegeer and baking soda to put a bit of CO2 in the air near the plant...just to hopefuly jump start it....thanx for all the info..:)

There are two types of fans, circulation and exhaust. Sounds like you need an exhaust fan capable of exchanging the air inside the grow partition one or more times per minute.

Circulation fans might work if you didn't have the partitions. Otherwise you're pushing air around instead of exchanging it, (like Major said.:))

Homemade C02 gas won't work very well, if at all. C02 levels have to be constant and the only way you'll get that is with a closed system and tank or burner. You also have to up the temps, ferts and water to take advantage of the added C02.

Fresh air has a constant level of C02. You just have to move air with the exhaust fan to keep C02 replenished.