What's new

Looking to move to a medical state..Tell me about ur state

abellguy

Just another thing, incase you might be thinking that people on here are saying the things they are about being careful, cause they think you are going to take their market share or make it harder for them to sell, their not. There is 54 million people in CA, even with 1000 plant grows there is still times when it is dry for certain things, so it has nothing to do with that.

Its just hard to sell and get good prices for medicore stuff cause, that is part of the game for the buyer, broker, dispensary to do to get it for as little as they can so they can make maximum margin, believe me they will see 6-8 more people come in THAT day with bud, there is no reason to buy it high unless its premium.(remember what I said about premium earlier) You can liken it to going to a gun fight and trying to sell knives, just by the nature of it it's going to be hard :D

Good luck in the future hope all works out for you - peace

huligun

Professor Organic Psychology
Veteran
None of you guys get it... the guy that wants to move to Cali and the guys telling him he is living a Hollywood dream.

Telling a grower he makes subpar weed is like telling a chick her kids look like monkeys... Just fighting words.

I have seen people I know in Nor Cal hoof their very fine goods down to San Francisco and get turned away by a dispensary for the trim job. And believe me, the trim was perfect and so was the weed. It seems more about connections than anything else. Take into consideration No Connections and Subpar and you will be lucky to be able to sell your stuff at the arcade piece meal. And remember this, selling pot on the streets will still put you in prison. Every time you sell you are risking prison. But if the dispensaries wont buy and the rent is due, you have to make a choice.

Your weed will be subpar, believe me. You have to spend a certain amount of money to make it to the bar that Cali has set, and you do not have the kind of money.

Your best bet would be to go be someone's partner. Trim bud, help carry shit and do the dishes for a year or two while you develop connections and see what the market is.

Right now you are like the mid west girl that goes to Hollywood to be a movie star and ends up being a whore.

Sounds like u dont know jack...How do u know i have subpar herbs lol...U have NO Idea what ur talking bout..But u can be someones bitch all u want..Im a leader NOT a follower..BE someones partner lol, a trim person do dishes LMAO wow...Coming from the guy with 20 posts and no home...Sounds like thats ur life ur talking in ur post...

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
Yum put your money where your mouth is and lets see some pics of the herb you grew with your 600 watt setup....

i grew the best weed ive ever grown under two 400 watt lights once.....once i upgraded to 4kw lights the whole game changed and i wasnt able to replicate the quality until i dialed in a few harvests....the more money = the better equipment, instead of shit portable ACs rocking mini splits...instead of mag ballasts and subpar bulbs rock the best spectrum and digitals...

unless you have a crazy greenthumb and are a mad scientist i highly doubt you will grow weed worth more than 25 an LB...

by all means prove us wrong lets see that auto flower haze il give you a price quote on what id pay for it right now....

silver hawaiian

Veteran
Sounds like u dont know jack...How do u know i have subpar herbs lol...U have NO Idea what ur talking bout..But u can be someones bitch all u want..Im a leader NOT a follower..BE someones partner lol, a trim person do dishes LMAO wow...Coming from the guy with 20 posts and no home...Sounds like thats ur life ur talking in ur post...

YYS, just a quick word of advice, from the outside-looking-in.

People here are trying to give you constructive advice. You seem to have this chip on your shoulder - if you're going to refute every point that these [well-meaning] folks are trying to impart upon you, then why did you even ask for any input in the first place?

Here's my two cents: You seem to be thinking of this as a sort of "life decision." In my eyes, you need to be treating this as a BUSINESS decision. You seem to be ignoring the fact that there is a market you'll have to deal with. What you consider "killer herb" may or may not be "killer herb" in whatever market you're trying to penetrate.

You will have to BUILD RELATIONSHIPS. Nothing will come quickly or easily.

In any business, it's not realistic to expect to go out and kill it in sales in the first day, first month, first year, or even first few years. You have to DEVELOP the business. Where does that come? FROM RELATIONSHIPS.

Someone's suggestion that you partner up with someone, as an "apprentice" of sorts, seems quite logical to me. You, on the other hand, take offense to it. Why? Back to my original point - if you've got it all figured out, why the heck did you even ask for any input?

A "partner" ought to be someone who is ESTABLISHED. Someone who HAS CONNECTIONS. And if you're offended by the idea that you might should start by working "under" someone, then again, that's another illustration of that chip you have on your shoulder.

YYS, you need to truly humble yourself to grow and be successful. Asking people for their opinions, and then bickering and telling people how wrong they are, how your situation is different, etc., is far from humble.

I wish you the best - I really do. But considering the attitude with which you're approaching this, you'll need lots of well wishes. You know, in the absence of an actual plan.

silver hawaiian

Veteran
And what does money have to do with being able to grow herbs, NOTHING AT ALL...I have plenty of start-up money...

Part of growing [anything] is headache, heartache, and setback.

Any of those three can lead to financial stress.

So, no, a pocket full of hundred-dollar bills won't make your plants grow any bigger or badder.

But they just might help to carry you through any UNFORESEEN headache, heartache, or setback.

Note the word UNFORESEEN. You know, unexpected, unplanned, "aww, shit," types of events. Powdery mildew, spider mites, rippers, the law, not being able to sell what you produce, having to sell it at a price that feels insulting to you (or worse yet, isn't enough to pay the rent).

Again, you don't seem to be approaching this from a BUSINESS perspective. If you want to run a business, you need to treat it like one. And I'll tell you, as a guy who's in business for himself (in the right-handed world), nobody who starts a business with a wish and some hope alone is ever successful.

OjoRojo420

Feeling good is good enough.
Veteran
After reading some stuff here... it occurred to me that:

The only person worst than a fool is whomever he convinces to listen...

What you kind folks think?

Ojo

Securityfirst

not debby downers yumyum just letting you know the facts of life....if everyone was telling you to come out here and not worry about anything and that you could make it you might get a cold dose of reality....instead people are telling you certain precautions and scenarios so you can plan ahead for anything that goes wrong....thats what it all comes down to...being able to get through the hard times and hard work that it takes setting up a grow...

also eureka is pretty far up there the way northern tip of humbolt.....its a tourist/retirement town...i think most of the indoor farmers up that ways are in the shelter cove area.....

also keep in mind that the farther north you get the more the weed gets cheaper.....eureka is close to shasta/trinity where its so oversaturated with bud you will not be able to move it unless you have special connections or low prices.....i can go get real cheap buds in shasta right now but the drive is so long that id rather just pay a couple hundred extra for humbolt or mendo weed....

if i had to move to CA i would try to find something in the Chico area...its a college town lots of college kids means lots of potential customers...rent isnt too expensive out that ways....like i said we rent a 2 bedroom trailer for 700 a month on half an acre.....trailers and manufacture homes have shitty wiring we almost burned the shit down only running 1kw light...so you gotta upgrade that shit.

growing is way more than just setting up a room, growing some bud, and then your problems are solved.....what are you plans for selling your wares? are you gonna walk from club to club? do you have people back home who could fly out and export it for you? unless you live in a crowded urban area its gonna be pretty hard to push that stuff.....club owners will show you the harsh reality of business in this area, you could be a 10 year veteran grower with the best weed and they will still lowball you, can you imagine how many first time growers with subpar medicine they lowball? you can expect maybe 2k per LB tops and thats no bullshit my friend....unless you have a magical greenthumb and the best genetics you could maybe get 25 or 26 in humbolt...if you drive it down to the cities maybe you get a few hundred more but WHO WHO WHO WHO is gonna buy it...thats a HUGE part of the this industry that most people take for granted. "yeah im gonna grow a bunch of weed and get rich!!".....those same guys are trying to sell LBs on craigslist or getting lowballed by the clubs.....

took me the better part of 5 years to establish my rolodex of reliable brokers and honestly my brokers are the most important part of this whole game if i didnt have good customers i wouldnt be shit out here.........you can throw a rock in humbolt county and hit a grower..but finding a good customer who will cash out on the spot and pay a fair price are very very hard to come by...

Fuckin A. And Shelter Cove PG and E is one dollar per kilowatt hour. Thats no bueno :tiphat:

I guess I just have low standards of living or something. I think "making it," as a single man, is unbelievably easy in the cannabis game in CA. 15 years ago it was easy to get rich in the game. Now it isn't, but it's still easy to live.

Making six figures? I can't speak to that.

Making it, aka surviving in this world without a 9-5 and affording a few luxuries? Easy as shit.

I found my dream job so I gave up all the big grow stuff. Currently not even growing, thinking about a small time personal operation at most. Just reporting my honest experience.

I do NOT understand people who think growing in CA for a middle class lifestyle (by my definition) is hard. Even if your shit is mediocre you can get 2500 a pound easy. You can't live on 2500 a pound? WTF?

huligun

Professor Organic Psychology
Veteran
I am not talking about a middle class life style. I am talking about getting into town, setting up a grow and selling any of it to any dispensary.

The bar is being raised in Cali. A grow op is more like a hospital than hippie shack's spare bedroom. People are expecting a lot from the dispensaries. No stringy buds of questionable pedigree that had bugs killed off of it. If you want to sell to a dispensary you want tight pedigree buds and the flavor of the week. As crazy as it sounds, the market expects colors, like purple.

So pulling into town, trying to get a place to grow and getting the place all cleaned up and secure enough to grow takes money. Many of the land lords will figure you are a grower from the first meeting, and they will verify it in a short time by a walk and sniff around. If the landlord don't get you, one of the many fucked up meth heads or others that are not your long time friend will get you when you go to the hydro store. I can spot a grow house a mile away. Attics with ac units, windows blocked out, what kind of garbage is in your can, and my dog is going crazy from the smell.

So you get all those problems worked out and have some bud. Maybe it is really good bud even. So where you going to sell it? You going to drive 4 hours to the bay area and look for dispensaries in the yellow pages? You going to put a pound of weed in your back back and walk past all those cops from place to place until someone bites? They are not going to bite unless you have the flavor of the week and a perfect representation of it. It better be well trimmed and have lots of crystals. It better not be smashed from the back pack.

So after absolutely failing in the despensaries what do you do? You have 4 months into that bag of weed and nobody wants it. Not even for $2500. Desperation sets in and you have to do something stupid.

Best to avoid all of that. If you know the market where you are at you are better off than flying to outer space and trying to convince everyone you have the best.

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
Part of growing [anything] is headache, heartache, and setback.

Any of those three can lead to financial stress.

So, no, a pocket full of hundred-dollar bills won't make your plants grow any bigger or badder.

But they just might help to carry you through any UNFORESEEN headache, heartache, or setback.

Note the word UNFORESEEN. You know, unexpected, unplanned, "aww, shit," types of events. Powdery mildew, spider mites, rippers, the law, not being able to sell what you produce, having to sell it at a price that feels insulting to you (or worse yet, isn't enough to pay the rent).

Again, you don't seem to be approaching this from a BUSINESS perspective. If you want to run a business, you need to treat it like one. And I'll tell you, as a guy who's in business for himself (in the right-handed world), nobody who starts a business with a wish and some hope alone is ever successful.

probably the best advice given yet......money wont make your buds better but it will get you through the rough times when you crop gets fucked up and its pretty much a garuntee....i consider myself a pretty damn good grower yet even i have new problems popping up that require money to fix them....found spider mites so had to spend a couple hundred on various pesticides...found fungas gnats so had to buy dunks....found powder mildew so got eagle 20 shipped in from out of state.....plants falling over themselves need hortinova....temps too high need to install new circuits and buy a new AC....vegroom flooded needed a sump and pondliner...humidity too high had to buy a santa fe for the flower..humidity too high in the drying room had to buy a 2nd dehuey...drying racks 50 bucks a pop....sudden death possibly root rot need mycostop...ive had to expand my veg area 3 times already because i keep running out of room...i can go on and on and on and on....

even REZ and moonshine two of the most successfull growers on ICmag have said the same thing....theres always something that is gonna give you a headache of somekind, always something that needs money for improvements...growing commercially for profit is not the same as a 600 watt setup...a 600 watt light is a cakewalk personal head stash grow anybody can have success at...

but still i want to see some pics of your nugs! we can give you an honest no BS price quote based on the pictures of what it would sell for here in california..

I guess I just have low standards of living or something. I think "making it," as a single man, is unbelievably easy in the cannabis game in CA. 15 years ago it was easy to get rich in the game. Now it isn't, but it's still easy to live.

Making six figures? I can't speak to that.

Making it, aka surviving in this world without a 9-5 and affording a few luxuries? Easy as shit.

I found my dream job so I gave up all the big grow stuff. Currently not even growing, thinking about a small time personal operation at most. Just reporting my honest experience.

I do NOT understand people who think growing in CA for a middle class lifestyle (by my definition) is hard. Even if your shit is mediocre you can get 2500 a pound easy. You can't live on 2500 a pound? WTF?
FINALLY SOMEONE SPEAKING THE DAMN TRUTH....THANKS ALOT

No pics..But soon enough i will have some for ya...I understand something can happen but u can always fix it, and be fine..I have been lucky and my worst case has been plants getting to tall and burning from my light..Knock on wood no bugs of any kind..Once found a big ass spider so maybe hes been eating everything..lol...I give my plants alot of attention i would know within a few hrs if something is wrong and have a solution the next day...And i see alot of people fucking up with 600w and alot of people loose plants for various reasons i have yet to loose a plant..